New to X3, disappointing colour customisation limitations!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
deswind
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 952
Re: New to X3, disappointing colour customisation limitations! 2014/04/15 00:03:03 (permalink)
Craig - will that apply to the next recorded clip on that track?  I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. If I have ten clips on a track, for instance, and I select all of them and select the colors I want, the very next recorded clip on that track goes back to some sort of default coloring scheme until I select the newly recorded clip and change it as well.

Am I missing something here?  

THANKS.

Anderton
sharke

The problem of having to change clip background colors on a per-clip basis? Unfortunately not

You must have missed post #11. To recap:

You can specify background (and/or foreground) color for an individual clip, selected clips, or the entire track. To colorize all clips in the entire track:

1. In track view, click the Track number in the track header. This selects all the track's clips.
2. Choose the Inspector's Clip tab.
3. Choose your background and/or foreground color.

If only certain clips are selected, only those clips will be colored.

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: New to X3, disappointing colour customisation limitations! 2014/04/15 00:41:00 (permalink)
deswind
Craig - will that apply to the next recorded clip on that track?

No, it applies only to existing clips. It is a clip-specific function, so it doesn't know what to do with clips that don't exist yet. If it was a track-specific function it would, because the clip would be bound by the constraints of the track holding it.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
zoffmeister
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 183
Re: New to X3, disappointing colour customisation limitations! 2014/04/16 09:50:12 (permalink)
Someone mentioned that they have created a template with all the track colours for all the different sections that they want, and then per project delete the tracks they won't need. 

Yes, this is how it should work. I should be able to do all that colourising work once in advance and then never have to worry about that again. That is what is known as simplifying my future workflow. However, because CW have tied clip colours to Track colour, and made clip backgound colour only editable after the fact, I still can't specify in advance the colours I want. I still have to manually edit per clip per project. 

I have created such a template. The point of a template is that it takes away all that hassle for each future project. I should now have my wonder template and never have to worry about fannying around with colours again. But no, I still have to do all that work in every project. Advances in the software should be making my workflow easier. This has not happened. 

SONAR Platinum 1607, Windows 10 Pro, i7 6700K 16GB Ram 3.4Ghz
256GB SSD C: Drive, 525GB SSD VI's, 2TB Audio Drive

Interface: UA Apollo Firewire, UAD2 Quad PCIe
Mackie Control, C4 and two extenders. 
Studiologic SL990 Pro keyboard controller
deswind
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 952
Re: New to X3, disappointing colour customisation limitations! 2014/04/16 10:00:09 (permalink)
Overall, I love X3e. I am optimistic that the flexibility in colors sought will be provided by Cakewalk.  It is a minor nuisance to me, and it is outweighed by the benefits of the program - i.e. stability, audio quality, etc.  How the project ultimately sounds, is critical.  The extra clicks along the way, I can live with until they provide this extra color option.
For me - it would simply be adding a per track color lock for foreground and background and then all recorded clips on that track would be those colors without having to select those clips and change them.

I would not be surprised if the Cakewalk people are working on it now.  Maybe they will chime in on this?
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1