Helpful ReplyBass guitar direct recording that sounds good???

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
bandso
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 361
Re: Bass guitar direct recording that sounds good??? 2014/04/15 14:47:01 (permalink)
Mix buss compression and other tweaks during the mastering stage are another part of what gives the bass (and entire track for that matter) that professional sound that you may be looking for.

Bandlab Platinum and every other toy I can get my hands on...and yes I'm way in debt over this obsession...
TheSteven
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2037
Re: Bass guitar direct recording that sounds good??? 2014/04/15 15:19:30 (permalink)
soundtweaker
If you want an Ampeg B15 type sound from a DI and you can afford it, get the REDDI DI.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/REDDI/
For a clean transparent tone get a Countryman DI.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DT85/
If you want a preamp that oozes vintage goodness try a custom made CAPI VP28
http://www.customanalogservices.com/vp28

There's a ton of great compressors out there. Pete's Audio BAC500 is one of my fav's for bass.
http://petesplaceaudio.com/bac-500.html

My preferred way to record bass is to go direct using a quality active DI then season with EQ/compression as appropriate.  Never had a client complain about the recorded result (about having more bass in headphone mix - yes).

Been awhile since I compared DI's.
But when I was a recording engineer (back in the 80/90s) I compared quite a number of them and there was no question that active DI's sounded better than their passive counterparts (cleaner, punchier, more transparent). My favorite was the Countryman type 85 DI - I ended up buying one just to insure that I had at least one decent DI on hand if working in an unfamiliar studio.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
My Tunes
bbdude
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 248
Re: Bass guitar direct recording that sounds good??? 2014/04/15 17:33:54 (permalink)
Hey Jim Roseberry -- Question about the Zoom B3 : Can it be made to output a clean (unprocessed) signal on one output and the full Bass Amp w/Cabinet Sim on the other output, simulataneously? I downloaded the B3 manual, but it wasn't entirely clear on that. The connection diagram shows one of the 1/4" outputs connected to a Bass Amp (which sort of implies the 1/4" output is clean to start with). The diagram also shows that there is a switch to set the XLR output to Pre or Post (Clean or Processed). So if you want both clean and processed outputs would you use the XLR for processed and the 1/4" for clean?

Bob the bbdude

RME FF-UFX , RME FF800
DAW PC built by ADK , Core i7 3770 IVB
Sonar X3e Producer, Win 7-Pro 64-bit
bandso
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 361
Re: Bass guitar direct recording that sounds good??? 2014/04/16 01:54:13 (permalink)
Actually that is a good point. I do know with the bass pod pro you can send two outputs to your DAW, one with the amp sound and one clean DI sound. Then once recorded you can mix them to taste or add another bass sim onto the clean signal for some additional color. The cheaper grey bass pod bean should have this option as well. I don't have mine setting in front of me right now so I can't say for sure. If the OP is interested a google search should give the answer easy enough. I myself have no idea about the zoom b3 though.

Bandlab Platinum and every other toy I can get my hands on...and yes I'm way in debt over this obsession...
Mistergreen
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 155
Re: Bass guitar direct recording that sounds good??? 2014/04/16 11:44:56 (permalink)
rodreb
Thanks for all the great advice everyone! What started this is, I watched the recent Pensado's Place with Tchad Blake. In it, he said he hasn't mic'd up a bass amp for years. He records all his basses direct in thru a Sansamp Bass Direct. In fact, he sang the praises of his Sansamp highly!
So, I thought, "I'll buy me one of those". Then, I decided to see what other folks are using so, I made this post.
Bottom line, I'm looking for a direct recorded bass sound that sounds well recorded/produced.
Typically, I record bluesy rock/indie/alt stuff.
I've tried the high impedance D.I. inputs on Focusrite ISA One and Presonus Eureka, and an ART MPA Pro II, as well as a plain old direct box from ART. I've also tried it plugged right into my Yamaha RM-800 mixer. Any/all of these are not 'BAD". I would just like to find something that gives an already produced sound without having to add a bunch of additional compression, EQ, etc. I suppose I could just record a dry, D.I. then add and amp sim after the fact but, would rather get it all in one shot, on the way in, with no latency to have to deal with.
As far as the players I record, I'd say I've been very fortunate to only have players in the very good to excellent range (so far).

Some of the greatest records were recorded using DI bass. Granted, a great preamp helps. 

Intel Core i7 3770K Quad-Core 3.5 GHz
Asus P8Z77-V LK
16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
ASUS 512 MB DDR3 Graphics Card 8400GS-SL-512MD3
SIIG FireWire 2-Port PCIe (NN-E20012-S2)
WD VelociRaptor 250 & 500
Windows 7 64 bit
CbB 2018.07 x64
Saffire Pro 40
jmasno5
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 453
Re: Bass guitar direct recording that sounds good??? 2014/04/16 14:03:04 (permalink)
I use Tech 21's (same company that makes your Sansamp) VT Bass. It is very versatile. It's my go thing for bass. In fact, it's one less thing I have to think about how to record. I roll off some bass while recording. A nice midrange tone is easier for me to work with. Adding more bottom is easier that taking it away.

John Masarone - J Mas No. 5
jmasno5.com
broadjam.com/jmasno5
masarone.bandcamp.com
SoundCloud Set List
Intel i5, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 64bit, Scarlett 18i20
Sonar Home Studio 4 & 7, Studio 8.5, Producer X1, X2, X3, Platinum and now... Cakewalk by BL and Studio One!
tubeydude
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 904
Re: Bass guitar direct recording that sounds good??? 2014/04/16 14:08:44 (permalink)
I put the bass direct into my ART pro MPa II pre.  It sounds great.  Sometimes to get a bit more grit for aggressive songs, I'll patch in camel crusher (a great plug for bass...and it's free).

That and a bit of compression always delivers a great sound.

geetsifly
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 192
Re: Bass guitar direct recording that sounds good??? 2014/04/16 14:12:35 (permalink)
Hi Guys,

lots of great responses here. To throw another DI into the mix... I just picked up an Eden WTDI from Sweetwater for 150 bucks.  Its basically an Eden preamp in a stomp box.

It has knobs for: bass, mid, treble, gain, master  and a one knob compressor

it also has an "enhance" knob which seems scoop the mids to various degrees. (eden cabinets get a little midrange barky when cranked up and this seems to compensate nicely)

it also has buttons for ground lift, bass boost, midrange shift.

Finally it has one input, one unbalanced output and one balanced XLR output.

It sounds really nice plugged in and recorded even without an amp sim.

Sonar Platinum / Windows 7 64 SP1 / Intel I7 / 12GB ram / RME Hammerfall 9632 Interface / BCF2000 Control Surface
Lets connect on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/geetsifly or Reverbnation: http://www.reverbnation.com/geetsifly
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Bass guitar direct recording that sounds good??? 2014/04/17 16:21:19 (permalink)
bbdude
Hey Jim Roseberry -- Question about the Zoom B3 : Can it be made to output a clean (unprocessed) signal on one output and the full Bass Amp w/Cabinet Sim on the other output, simulataneously? I downloaded the B3 manual, but it wasn't entirely clear on that. The connection diagram shows one of the 1/4" outputs connected to a Bass Amp (which sort of implies the 1/4" output is clean to start with). The diagram also shows that there is a switch to set the XLR output to Pre or Post (Clean or Processed). So if you want both clean and processed outputs would you use the XLR for processed and the 1/4" for clean?

Yes, you can manually switch the XLR to provide a straight (unprocessed) DI sound... while running the AmpSim via the 1/4" output/s.

The Bassman 300 model in the B3 easily bests any other bass amp model I've heard (including all the POD units, Bass V-Amp, software AmpSims, etc).  It sounds extremely good even when compared to (well recorded) tracks thru an Ampeg SVT Classic.  If you want a quick/easy means to to record an "Amped Up" electric bass track, the Zoom B3 is stellar.  At $200, it's a steal...

Tip:
Put the DynaComp right before the Bassman 300.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Jim Roseberry
Re: Bass guitar direct recording that sounds good??? 2014/04/17 16:31:56 (permalink)
jmasno5
I use Tech 21's (same company that makes your Sansamp) VT Bass. It is very versatile. It's my go thing for bass. In fact, it's one less thing I have to think about how to record. I roll off some bass while recording. A nice midrange tone is easier for me to work with. Adding more bottom is easier that taking it away.

I just got the VT-Bass Deluxe.
If you're running straight into your audio interface (not running the SansAmp into your bass amp), the VT-Bass sounds considerably better than previous SansAmp units.  You can dial out that high-end string "clack" and the mids are much better defined than the BDDI, RBI, and RPM units.

I'd describe the VT-Bass (tonally) as somewhere between a straight DI and a full-on "Amped Up" sound.
Good unit if you want a tone that's pretty well "finished" going in... but is still neutral enough to send thru an AmpSim plugin.  Super convenient and affordable...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Jim Roseberry
Re: Bass guitar direct recording that sounds good??? 2014/04/17 16:45:40 (permalink)
Since this topic revolves around trying to get that classic "Ampeg" tube amp bass tone:

If you're looking for an affordable real bass amp for recording, checkout the new Fender Rumble heads/cabs.  
I know... the previous Rumble series aren't exactly known to sound great...  
But the new units are a different story.
Though it has no tubes, the Rumble 500 head can produce a good impersonation of an SVT-Classic or Bassman-300.
Dial in just a little "dirt" using the Overdrive channel.
Now (to approximate that scooped SVT sound), push in the Contour button.
That's right in the ballpark.
Now, for the finishing touch, boost the Low Mid EQ just a small bit.
You've got a big, tight, dark, punchy bass tone that has some dirt... and still has plenty of clarity/articulation.
Street price for the Rumble 500 head is $400.

If that slightly dirty "classic-rock" tone isn't your thing, the Rumble 500 can still fit the bill.
With the Overdrive channel off and all EQ settings at 12 o'clock (detent), the unit produces a huge/tight bass tone that would work in almost any genre.

I'd consider the tone/response in a similar realm to the Markbass LM-III.
To my ears, the Rumble has a slightly more traditional/classic tone.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
rebel007
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 926
Re: Bass guitar direct recording that sounds good??? 2014/04/17 17:31:31 (permalink)
I agree with the tips bandso posted earlier, especially the ones of setting up the bass (new strings, tuning etc). I have been going straight into my interface and then running it through Guitar Rig. I think they've really nailed some great bass tones, especially for jazz and blues type material.

Home Built Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 750: 4Mb RAM: NVidia 210 Silent: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum: Roland OctaCapture
Presario CQ41 Laptop: Intel Core i5 760: 4Mb RAM: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum (Retired)
CbB on HP Pavilion Laptop 64bit: GeForce Video Card: Intel 8550: 256GB SSD 1TB Data Drive: Windows10 64bit
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Bass guitar direct recording that sounds good??? 2014/04/17 17:44:01 (permalink)
I'll have to try out that Fender Rumble, Jim. I have heard good comments from others as well. I have a 60w Fender Bassman tilt back practice amp that I bought about 10 years ago and I have gotten really good mic'd amp tone out of that. It has a 15" speaker in it, if I remember correctly.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
elsongs
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 306
Re: Bass guitar direct recording that sounds good??? 2014/04/18 17:14:00 (permalink)
I'm poor, so I don't have the budget for any of the boutique pres...I just record my bass (usually a Musicman Stingray) into a cheapo Whirlwhind EDB1 DI which goes into a Presonus Blue Tube and then goes into my soundcard. It's pretty beefy, and I usually have to cut down on the low-end EQ when mixing. 

A DI is a must, not necessarily just for tone, but to ensure you have maximum signal coming into your chain for an optimum S/N ratio.

Elson Trinidad Los Angeles, CA, USA
Web: www.elsongs.com
Twitter: twitter.com/elsongs

DAWs: Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cakewalk Sonar Platinum x64, Propellerhead Reason 9, Presonus Studio One v3
CPU: Intel i7 3820 3.6MHz 
MB: ASRock X79 Xtreme4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3
Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Generation
MIDI: MOTU Microlite & Novation Impulse 61
TheSteven
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2037
Re: Bass guitar direct recording that sounds good??? 2014/04/18 18:43:23 (permalink)
elsongs
A DI is a must, not necessarily just for tone, but to ensure you have maximum signal coming into your chain for an optimum S/N ratio.

S/N is important (using 24bit vs 16bit will help) just be aware that amp sim plug-ins may react to a hotter signal differently than you expect. You may have to drop the grain feeding the plug-in.
First noticed this with the Line6 AmpFarm plug-ins.  I thought the recorded output volume of their DI's was too low but that's the level that their plug-ins prefer. If the input is hotter than it likes it doesn't matter how you tweak the plug-in it just sounds crappy.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
My Tunes
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Bass guitar direct recording that sounds good??? 2014/04/18 22:52:26 (permalink)
No love for Mark Studio 2? I have this VST and I love it! There's just about every kind of bass sound you could want from this thing. The presets are excellent and it's super easy to just dial your own sound in. Personally I like to use it as an effects send and just mix some in with the dry signal. There are some great pedals in it - I find a little distortion and chorus mixed in does wonders to make a bass stand out in the mix.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1