Sonar colab - Who is I am?

Author
Awes
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 154
2014/07/02 04:24:04 (permalink)

Sonar colab - Who is I am?

So I work working on a track, the first track I've written and recorded, which got a fair bit of feedback here - http://forum.cakewalk.com/Your-thoughts-please-m3043286.aspx
Since then, both ThePogue (http://forum.cakewalk.com/Profile/42818/) and Paulo (http://forum.cakewalk.com/Profile/36142/) have got involved and moved this on in massive strides.

Tom (Pogue) picked this up originally, started with some editing (removing fret noise, fattening guitars, mixing up the 'techno' section) before adding vocals. Paul (Paulo) then jumped in with adding some pretty cool synths, whale noises and some pretty bizarre interesting stuff. Then back to Tom to finish off the vocals.

And here we have it....

https://soundcloud.com/damien_kelly/who-is-i-am

Would be interested to hear your thoughts. Tom/Paul, feel free to add anything I've missed. 

Sonar Platinum; Focusrite Scarlett 8i6
PC: Windows 7/64; AMD A8;16GB RAM
My SoundCloud

15 Replies Related Threads

thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re: Sonar colab - Who is I am? 2014/07/02 04:45:23 (permalink)
    Just like to add thanks for sharing your tune and letting us muck-up the waters....fun stuff! I'll make sure and have Tony and Preston give it a listen as well...I'm sure they will enjoy! (for some reason I couldn't get the first link to work?)

It was also great to work w/Paul again...I know we are all busy so it was nice to catch-up even if for a moment!

Rock-on mate!

davdud101
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1058
    Re: Sonar colab - Who is I am? 2014/07/02 08:38:28 (permalink)
    Lovin' this slightly laid back rock feel. The techno section is an interesting and well-done bridge, and the shout verse is just an awesome jump from the already great previous two sections! Mix is perfect in my ears.
    Great collaborative stuff here, this feels like it's something we'd see in a movie, part of a soundtrack. I wanna see how the final tracks look altogether... 

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
    Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
    Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
    DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
    Awes
    Re: Sonar colab - Who is I am? 2014/07/05 03:53:34 (permalink)
    davdud101
    Lovin' this slightly laid back rock feel. The techno section is an interesting and well-done bridge, and the shout verse is just an awesome jump from the already great previous two sections! Mix is perfect in my ears.
    Great collaborative stuff here, this feels like it's something we'd see in a movie, part of a soundtrack. I wanna see how the final tracks look altogether... 

Thanks man, appreciated. Massive credit must go to Paulo and Tom for the 'techno' middle section. It started off just a simple muted guitar and even simpler drum machine, Tom mixed up the drum section a bit before Paulo threw some extra noises at it. Much more interesting than how it started life!!

My SoundCloud
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Sonar colab - Who is I am? 2014/07/05 08:52:59 (permalink)
    This has the touch of being produced by people who have a good idea what they are doing.  They started with something good to work with with your basic song.  Then working with you added that gloss that extra ears can add to a production.

Nice touch of the mark of Distant Towers without making it a Distant Towers song.

Good work all round gentlemen.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Sonar colab - Who is I am? 2014/07/05 16:17:58 (permalink)
    Love that intro & first verse, had me spellbound. First chorus is pure Zappa. Middle section is jarring, but creative - have to listen to that again to get the gist. Very cool collab guys, that's what it's all about.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Sonar colab - Who is I am? 2014/07/05 16:37:03 (permalink)
    jamesg1213
    that's what it's all about.

The Hokey Pokey is no longer what it's all about?
    RussjWhite
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 511
    Re: Sonar colab - Who is I am? 2014/07/05 20:55:29 (permalink)
    Nothing wrong with that at all. :) Interesting sounds and lots of movement on the production side of things. Top top work.

BL Cakewalk 
    ATHM50 Cans
    VRM Box
    East West
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re: Sonar colab - Who is I am? 2014/07/06 03:44:14 (permalink)
    Late to the party here due to log-in issues. So pleased to see that people are digging this. I loved it as soon as Tom sent me his scratch vocal mix and would like to thank Damien for allowing me to join the ride on this great tune and giving me the opportunity to not only work with someone new, but also to get another chance to work with Tom which should never be refused people. Never ever.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: Sonar colab - Who is I am? 2014/07/12 10:27:51 (permalink)
    That was completely unexpected! 
    I really enjoyed this all the way through!  Damien, Tom & Paulo - excellent work!

Love the intro, although it does sound almost exactly like another song I am familiar with (Contemporary Christian artist David Crowder).

mix sounds really good all throughout.

excellent work gents!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    alkie
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2706
    Re: Sonar colab - Who is I am? 2014/07/18 15:01:51 (permalink)
    Cool Tune ...loved the Bowie...ish vibe & vocals ...actually had to check to see if this was a Bowie tune.

Whoa.... to you ...oh...earth and sea...
    for the devil sends the beast with wrath.....
    because he knows the time is short.....
    let him who hath understanding.....
    reckon the number of the beast.....
    for it is a human number...
    it`s number is.....

So if JESUS rose from the DEAD
    Does that mean he`s the ORIGINAL ZOMBIE?
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re: Sonar colab - Who is I am? 2014/07/19 10:46:24 (permalink)
    Really nice intro - mood and sounds.
    I like the last segment as well.  Perhaps there are too many different segments for the song overall.  
    Good creativity IMO.  

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    Re: Sonar colab - Who is I am? 2014/07/24 22:00:30 (permalink)
    Nice work guys!  I was able to hear the song early on from Tom and can say it was a solid foundation that they built this thing on.  Fun stuff, love the heavy break near the end and the crazy mutterings as the song rides out.  Very cool stuff, love those lyrics.  The guitars sound great Damien.  The techno section is very neat, I'm a sucker for a song with a cool change up like that.  Congrats on a great collab.
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re: Sonar colab - Who is I am? 2014/08/03 13:23:42 (permalink)
    Just a quick FYI for those who have been kind enough to listen and leave feedback....

Damien is out of the country and otherwise engaged for a few weeks, so don't feel ignored. I'm sure he will acknowledge your posts on his thread when he can.

@ Beagle...... unexpected is exactly what I thought when I first heard the scratch vocal mix and was the thing that I most liked about it.

Awes
    Re: Sonar colab - Who is I am? 2014/08/09 07:20:24 (permalink)
    Apologies guys, as Paulo mentioned, been incredibly manic here with work, a daughter who has hit the terrible 2's, a bit of time away and getting marred last week, just haven't had the time to even do any of the fun stuff in life 

A massive thank you for all the kind words, notes of encouragement and hints/tips, they are all very much appreciated and certainly inspire to crack on with this musical hobby! As I mentioned, a massive thank you must go to Tom and Paulo for taking this track up a couple of notches. Appreciate the kind words about having a good base for those guys to start on, but the 'techno' middle section was totally transformed by those guys, and you've all heard the magic Tom worked on the vocals.

jamesg1213
    Love that intro & first verse, had me spellbound. First chorus is pure Zappa. Middle section is jarring, but creative - have to listen to that again to get the gist. Very cool collab guys, that's what it's all about.

alkie
    Cool Tune ...loved the Bowie...ish vibe & vocals ...actually had to check to see if this was a Bowie tune.

Beagle
    That was completely unexpected! 
    I really enjoyed this all the way through!  Damien, Tom & Paulo - excellent work!

Love the intro, although it does sound almost exactly like another song I am familiar with (Contemporary Christian artist David Crowder).

mix sounds really good all throughout.

excellent work gents!

Interesting to hear some of the bits you guys are hearing in there, mention of Bowie and Zappa. Admittedly, not artists I am familiar with (obviously I've heard of both, but could probably only name 5 Bowie songs, if that!). Also mention of David Crowder, not someone I've heard of, but that beginning part originally drew comparisons with Tracy Chapman, although a lot less since Toms vocals were added 

Rimshot
    Really nice intro - mood and sounds.
    I like the last segment as well.  Perhaps there are too many different segments for the song overall.  
    Good creativity IMO.  

I did think about whether 3 different sections was too much. This was a totally different way of approaching writing for me. Instead of the usualy verse, verse, bridge, chorus, verse, middle, etc. approach, I had the intro laying around for a couple of years, laid down a couple of other bits, then hacked away with copy and paste for a structure that didn't repeat, that progressed, but still fitted together. It was strange as I took the last section out and it just sounded odd. 2 completely different sections that really should be 2 different songs. Add the last section back in, and it just felt like a complete track then. 

My SoundCloud
    Makke
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 617
    Re: Sonar colab - Who is I am? 2014/08/09 16:34:43 (permalink)
    enjoyable song and arrangement.  well done music

My english  is not very good. So please, forgive me for my short posts. 

BullHill Sounds

Sonar  /  Roland Quad-Capture interface
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1