Genius Animus
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41
l 2015/02/20 19:54:11 (permalink)
l
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2015/02/22 14:12:30 (permalink)
RexRed
...I suspect it is melodyne that is handing v-vocal a corrupted file to work with...

I'm puzzled by this. Could you please explain.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
kenny@kennycroes.com
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2016/01/24 21:04:31 (permalink)
I like V-Vocal and I'm getting better at Melodyne Essential. But there are things V-Vocal does that Melodyne Essential does not do. What bothers me is that V-Vocal crashes Sonar Professional. I sometimes import files into Sonar X1 to use V-Vocal, but it's a hassle. Why does V-Vocal crash later Sonar releases? Is there a fix?
scottcmusic
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 130
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2016/01/24 23:22:44 (permalink)
I basically agree with Bob's original post. Or should I say, I feel his pain.

But a side concern of mine at least, is this: Tools that we've purchased with our money shouldn't just disappear like that. I am totally accustomed to working in V-Vocal. Loving it and never had an issue. The things I need to do are now muscle memory and easily performed. Suddenly it's gone ... and why?

Oh I know, because I chose to give Cakewalk even more of my money to "upgrade".

I feel like Melodyne ... and let's be honest ... it wasn't even Melodyne, it was Melodyne Essential ... was crammed down our throats without so much as a survey to gauge the popularity of what it was replacing. Then we had the privilege of paying yet again to get the real Melodyne. Or you could just ... not fudge with it at all ... like the old days ...

I understand money walks and ... Cakewalk is out there signing deals and partnering with various companies at different points ... I get that. That's business. But it does get personal when essential tools you both paid for and depend on to make your art just up and disappear like a fart in the wind.

Sounds like I'm ****ing, but I'm not. I still couldn't do what I do without Cakewalk. I love Cakewalk. But things like this make it hard for me to get psyched about going monthly subscription with them. How much stuff will just change on me when Cakewalk's contracts with certain, future vendors expire? Will I just lose the Pro-Channel at some point and have it replaced with the suck channel?

Currently to get around this I just leave Sonar X1 64-bit installed and continue to have my v-vocal cake and eat it too. But how long will this last? The wonky Melodyne interface makes me want to lose my lunch. Looks like a circa '85 mac or something. The little music blobs that your supposed to move around look like little turds on my screen. I literally can't look at Melodyne.

I guess it's all what you are used to. Didn't mean to offend anybody. That's just the way I genuinely feel.

it appears i've fallen off the tune-wagon yet again ...

| scott c
http://scottcmusic.com/
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/scottc
https://soundcloud.com/scott-cmusic
pharohoknaughty
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1226
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2016/01/24 23:38:47 (permalink)
scottcmusic

I feel like Melodyne ... and let's be honest ... it wasn't even Melodyne, it was Melodyne Essential ... was crammed down our throats without so much as a survey to gauge the popularity of what it was replacing. Then we had the privilege of paying yet again to get the real Melodyne. Or you could just ... not fudge with it at all ... like the old days ...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Currently to get around this I just leave Sonar X1 64-bit installed and continue to have my v-vocal cake and eat it too. But how long will this last? The wonky Melodyne interface makes me want to lose my lunch. Looks like a circa '85 mac or something. The little music blobs that your supposed to move around look like little turds on my screen. I literally can't look at Melodyne.

I guess it's all what you are used to. Didn't mean to offend anybody. That's just the way I genuinely feel.

This post does not offend me.

I agree with you. Celemony is offensive. They are offensive as a vendor, and their products are offensive.

Also I agree that if the only option is Melodyne, you might as well just learn to sing in pitch.

Celemony is bad. V-Vocal is good, a little out of date. Sonar and Cakewalk are great.

I really hope Cake will get away from the association with Celemony. Its toxic.

bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2016/01/25 00:01:30 (permalink)
I still use vvocal myself.
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2016/01/25 00:13:53 (permalink)
Not reading the whole thread....but wasn't V Vocal a Roland involvement, and with them out of the Cakewalk picture, might have something related with the lack of updating and/or continued support.  Seemed like Melodyne popped in at a time when a "replacement" was "needed".  I also believe that Melodyne has more of an industry "liking"....in a similar way that ProTools does....whether or not it is better (which in the case of Sonar, it isn't!)... but Melodyne did come up with some crazy features like polyphonic detection and such...I think in effect giving it an industry boost.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2016/01/25 00:39:56 (permalink)
mixmkr
Not reading the whole thread....but wasn't V Vocal a Roland involvement, and with them out of the Cakewalk picture, might have something related with the lack of updating and/or continued support.  Seemed like Melodyne popped in at a time when a "replacement" was "needed".  I also believe that Melodyne has more of an industry "liking"....in a similar way that ProTools does....whether or not it is better (which in the case of Sonar, it isn't!)... but Melodyne did come up with some crazy features like polyphonic detection and such...I think in effect giving it an industry boost.

It was a Roland product. The thread makes that clear. However even before Roland sold CW they had not done any updates for a long time. 

Best
John
stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2016/01/25 23:33:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby glennstanton 2017/03/30 14:15:37
Wow... this thread is still around?

Summary: VVocal is Roland IP and was deprecated years ago.  IOW, no fixes and no changes coming from Roland.
Since Cakewalk is no longer owned by Roland that IP is no longer available.  But older SONAR installers can still be used to (re)install VVocal if needed.
Melodyne is SONAR's included and integrated (via ARA) pitch-correction tool of choice.  But ARA also works with VVocal if it's installed; VVocal is not SONAR version-specific.

Personally, I was thrilled when ARA was introduced in X3 since I had been using the same technology in Studio One with Melodyne Editor.   Preferences aside, for me it was always the results that made the difference - from day one those results simply sounded more natural using Melodyne vs. VVocal.  But it definitely took longer for me to adjust to Melodyne's UI than VVocal which I adapted to fairly quick.  Now that it's been a few years VVocal would probably feel a bit alien while Melodyne is familiar...  orange and all.  

$.03

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2016/01/27 15:37:05 (permalink)
I miss having a shortcut key for launching V-Vocal. I don't think it's possible to set one up in Sonar versions later than X2. Or is it?

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
profwacko
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 119
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2016/03/02 15:33:25 (permalink)
I suppose I should cease and desist on reporting V-Vocal crashes.

In the latest update (22.3.0.24) it crashes like a memory leak, which is to say that it operates very nominally for a while.

Then, after instantiating several RegionFX and making tuning adjustments, I get crashes of different types.

Sometimes it's an assertion, other times it's a "SONAR has stopped working" dialog.

I guess I need to lookup how much the update to Melodyne Editor costs.

-Jack (in Central Tx)

Dell XPS 8500, i7 3770, Windows 8 64-bit, 8 gigs RAM, 1tb SATA drive, M-Audio Fastrack Ultra,
Sonar Platinum

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Ozz
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 332
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2016/03/02 16:23:08 (permalink)
What's with the hate on Melodyne?  Is it the product itself or do people have issues with the company?  And if so, why?

I used V-Vocal and thought it was ok, although I had a lot of "glitchy" behavior with it.  I didn't care too much for the GUI....but, I liked it enough that I kept the version of Sonar that I had it on installed so I could still access it.

When I first started using Melodyne, I had some weird issues at times, that nobody (neither the forum, nor Celemony) could ever explain  (after making a few alterations successfully, if I made another...and then went to do another one, the prior one would swap back to it's previous "location"....and I then could make no further changes).  That was happening in X3.....

Since updating to Platinum, I haven't yet had this happen (knock on wood)..so I figured it was some little bug somewhere that got cleaned up.

But I digress.....I guess my point is, overall, at least for what I need, I like Melodyne quite a bit more than V-Vocal, and honestly haven't used V-Vocal in probably a year because I haven't felt like it was needed.....

It was and is a decent program...but no improvements in quite a long time, and it seems to be kind of "dead in the water'.....so....unfortunate as it may be....time moves on...I like Melodyne's setup...although, I'm currently using Editor 2 and haven't updated to Editor or Studio 4, as I've heard varying reviews....I've got until April for the special upgrade price...I figure I'll see if people are happier with it once they've fixed up a few things.

I'm just so impressed with ANY of these programs that make me sound FAR better than I am, that I'm grateful they exist at all. ;-)

Sonar Platinum, Win 10 Pro 64, Intel i7 4770K, 16GB DDR3 1600, 1 x 250GB SSD, 2 x 2TB SATA, Roland OctaCapture, Roland XP-30 (Controller only), Shure KSM-44, Rode NT-1, Shure SM57, Numerous Guitar Amp sims, Komplete 6/7, Alchemy, Custom built guitar, Carvin Amplifiers.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2016/03/02 21:06:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby glennstanton 2017/03/30 14:16:19
profwacko
I suppose I should cease and desist on reporting V-Vocal crashes.

V-Vocal is not a Cakewalk product, and Roland stopped updating/supporting it years ago, so...any problems you encounter will not be fixed.

One of the reasons CW switched to Melodyne was that a lot of crash logs identified V-Vocal as the source. It was great in its day, but it's time to move on.

If it's any consolation, I held on to V-Vocal for as long as I could because Melodyne Essential didn't do as much. But when I upgraded to Melodyne Editor, it was a revelation - way, way better than V-Vocal.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2016/03/04 12:23:21 (permalink)
Ozz
...I like Melodyne's setup...although, I'm currently using Editor 2 and haven't updated to Editor or Studio 4, as I've heard varying reviews....I've got until April for the special upgrade price...I figure I'll see if people are happier with it once they've fixed up a few things.

I'm just so impressed with ANY of these programs that make me sound FAR better than I am, that I'm grateful they exist at all. ;-)

I'm sure you've read enough opinions about it already, but I'll add mine anyway - v4 rocks.   

I did upgrade to Studio though since the cost was lower than I've ever seen and I didn't want to miss out.  I use Melodyne on a regular basis and while I haven't used much of Studio's exclusive tools, I have played around with them and I think they're quite nice and plan to use them to their fullest.   But even at a basic level I really like the changes in v4... and it's still in the "brand new" phase.    Makes me wonder what another year will bring to the table...

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

jayemuller
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2017/03/29 03:09:17 (permalink)
Dear Melodyne lovers/experts,
I resisted as long as I could to use Melodyne and stuck with VVocal, as I like it a lot. It's getting harder to use unfortunately.
One thing that I did a lot in VVocal, I still can not find how to do in Melodyne. Maybe someone can help me. How do I add vibrato to a vocal where there is none? Just can't figure it out.
HELP! :-)
Jaye
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2017/03/29 03:14:51 (permalink)
You can still use VVocal.
If you have a version of Sonar that contains it then install that version of Sonar and deselect every item when you do an advanced install. VVocal doesn't have a special tab as it gets installed along with Sonar. You'll have access to it through region fx as before. And yes it's OK to run different Sonar versions side by side. In any case you only want VVocal anyway.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2017/03/29 05:41:26 (permalink)
jayemuller
Dear Melodyne lovers/experts,
I resisted as long as I could to use Melodyne and stuck with VVocal, as I like it a lot. It's getting harder to use unfortunately.
One thing that I did a lot in VVocal, I still can not find how to do in Melodyne. Maybe someone can help me. How do I add vibrato to a vocal where there is none? Just can't figure it out.
HELP! :-)
Jaye

I think you need to have an edition with more features than Melodyne Essential. If you have Studio or whatever its called ,then I think you should be able to add vibrato... but if not, then you may just not have that feature available.

Personally, it's "cold dead fingers" for V-Vocal, for me...
reginaldStjohn
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 485
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2017/03/29 20:00:40 (permalink)
Melodyne does not have a feature to "add" vibrato when there is none. At least not in the same way VVocal did. That was a nice feature that VVocal had. However, I think you can copy pitch variations from another blob on another one, or split the blob up and manually add vibrato, or find a plug-in that can modulate pitch.  Not as easy but just some ideas I had.

AMD Phenom II x6, 8 GB Ram, 2 Internal SATA III HD
Windows 10
Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 Interface/Mixer
Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
Line6 Helix Guitar Processor 
Custom Made (El Bandito) Telecaster
LTD ESP EC-1000
PRS El Torrero SE
Anderton
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2017/03/29 21:27:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby hockeyjx 2017/03/30 12:53:12
I wrote about how to do this in "The Big Book of SONAR Tips." Basically, I have a Sonitus Modulator preset that does vocal vibrato, and insert that as an audio effect in the clip. You can automate the depth and rate. I find this approach easier to use, more expressive because you can control it in real time and record the automation, and more reliable than the vibrato tool in V-Vocal. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
hockeyjx
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 839
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2017/03/30 12:53:48 (permalink)
Anderton
I wrote about how to do this in "The Big Book of SONAR Tips." Basically, I have a Sonitus Modulator preset that does vocal vibrato, and insert that as an audio effect in the clip. You can automate the depth and rate. I find this approach easier to use, more expressive because you can control it in real time and record the automation, and more reliable than the vibrato tool in V-Vocal. 

I need to buy that book :)

Intel i7 950 Proc, Asus Sabertooth x58 MB, 2 Crucial 128GB SSDs and Seagate 1TBGB drive, 12GB Corsair 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 Memory, Nvidia GeForece 8400 Dual Monitor vid card
Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w Power Supply, Cooler Master Sileo 500

Win 7 64 bit, SPlat 64-bit, Komplete 10 Ultimate, AmpliTube3 and AD2

Tascam FW-1884 and AKAI MPK-49
glennstanton
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 87
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2017/03/30 14:26:29 (permalink)
http://helpcenter.celemony.com/editor2/en/singletrack_tour_65.html

you need editor to add (or remove) vibrato or correct pitch drift. some useful videos out there are well. i moved on from v-vocal as soon as melodyne was added although it took a few weeks of playing with it and going through tutorials. it's been stable and works really well. upgraded to editor version last year - amazing. still have the v-vocal installed though (32-bit on a 64-bit system - ew) for compatibility with old projects.

-- Glenn

reginaldStjohn
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2017/03/30 19:59:26 (permalink)
glennstanton
http://helpcenter.celemony.com/editor2/en/singletrack_tour_65.html

you need editor to add (or remove) vibrato or correct pitch drift. some useful videos out there are well. i moved on from v-vocal as soon as melodyne was added although it took a few weeks of playing with it and going through tutorials. it's been stable and works really well. upgraded to editor version last year - amazing. still have the v-vocal installed though (32-bit on a 64-bit system - ew) for compatibility with old projects.

You can't really add vibrato like you can in VVocal. You can enhance or de-emphasize if but is none is there originally you can't create it or change its frequency etc. At least not to my knowledge.

Windows 10
Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
LTD ESP EC-1000
PRS El Torrero SE
Anderton
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2017/03/30 22:50:32 (permalink)
reginaldStjohn
You can't really add vibrato like you can in VVocal. You can enhance or de-emphasize if but is none is there originally you can't create it or change its frequency etc. At least not to my knowledge.

See post #319. Even though the Sonitus Modulator is not within Melodyne, it provides the exact same functionality as V-Vocal's vibrato tool - imposes LFO-based frequency modulation. The only difference is you have much more flexibility than the V-Vocal vibrato tool because you can automate the vibrato for more expressiveness.

reginaldStjohn
Re: The End of V-Vocal? 2017/03/31 19:11:50 (permalink)
Anderton
reginaldStjohn

See post #319. Even though the Sonitus Modulator is not within Melodyne, it provides the exact same functionality as V-Vocal's vibrato tool - imposes LFO-based frequency modulation. The only difference is you have much more flexibility than the V-Vocal vibrato tool because you can automate the vibrato for more expressiveness.

I agree with you Craig. I was trying to point out that within Melodyne this was not an option that I had found. I left out the Melodyne part.

Windows 10
Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
LTD ESP EC-1000
PRS El Torrero SE
Page: << < ..11 Showing page 11 of 11
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1