Hitting the red: I was wrong about this

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
TremoJem
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 479
Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/07/17 05:58:41 (permalink)
Thanks Jeff.

Purrrfect Audio LLC Pro Studio, Sonar X3e PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - Dell Inspiron 1760, Sonar 7 PE X64, Win7 Pro 64Bit - iZotope Ozone 5 & Alloy 2 - MOTU Audio Express & 2 MOTU 8Pre - Glyph & Lacie External HDs - Roland A-800Pro - Mackie MR5mkIII - Shure - AKG - Sennheiser

Most importantly...not enough time.

www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

pentimentosound
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1535
Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/08/03 12:43:54 (permalink)
Like Bitflipper, I don't like having to lower everything else when something is too hot. Wouldn't it be nice if someone invented some kind of grouped control where you could lower all the tracks, at once, (not the Master). Perhaps that is simpler than I think it is, to do it.

Also wouldn't it be nice for someone to come up with an inverse volume control where as you turn one thing up, it lowers everything else (that you assign to that). Sometimes that would be very useful, too.
I look forward to someone telling me this is already available! Maybe I just haven't thought it through. Instead of grumbling when I have to, I could be seeing this as an opportunity to approach the issue from a new, better informed place.
Michael
post edited by pentimentosound - 2014/08/03 12:49:57
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/08/03 20:15:22 (permalink)
Well, it's not too hard to do - group all tracks and drop the Gain on all of them at once.

Of course, any tracks that have compression on them will have to have those compressors' thresholds adjusted accordingly. Any tracks that have an distortion/exciter/amp sim might similarly require tweaking. And you still might have an issue with a plugin distorting because of its own internal gain, as was the case in the anecdote that began this thread.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Jimbo21
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 696
Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/08/04 17:34:35 (permalink)
I believe in console view you just grab a fader while holding down ctrl and (in X3 anyway) all faders are momentarily grouped. I use on occasion when the 2bus is too hot.

Dell XPS 8700 i7 4770 3.4GHZ, Windows 7 64bit, 8gb Ram, Focurite 18i6, Sonar Platinum

https://soundcloud.com/jimmy-james-and-the-blue
Psychobillybob
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 882
Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/08/15 03:48:21 (permalink)
Working with Nebula I have HAD t track everything at -18db, went to the trouble to calibrate my Dorrough meter to a specific output bus in my Lynx that never gets touched and is always on the master 2 bus.

It is amazing how much some of the plug-ins tweak the input/output level...Nebula will vomit in your audio if you hit it to hard, it is painful so I have had to go in and learn how to track, then making sure the plug-ins are spot on as well...reaper makes some plug-ins that can help you set the gain staging and know exactly how much a plug-in is messing your levels theres a two part "pre" and "post" gain plug that will calibrate your signal, once you've learned what the plug-in is doing your gold.

There is a growing industry push for the -18db as standard protocol...it gives you plenty of headroom and everyone should find a consistent gain-staging plan...

One of my headaches is I set the zoom on my track meters at the extent of -18 but I have to do it for each track, maybe there is a way to set it as default but i haven't found it yet...not that I was looking...it's just habit now to set my zoom level so I can see what is happening in my clips.

Davids video was decent, it heps see it to make sense...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaHQJ0T9iHg

I'm using SOnar Platinium on a 6 core Lynx Audio machine and a ton of vintage pre-amps/eq's/comps I build for fun and sometimes money, REDD.47/API/Neve I also use the UAD stuff, and also use a Macbook Logic 9 through Apogee...
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/08/15 11:03:32 (permalink)
i have to say, i think my typical RMS during tracking is about -20....
so, close to that -18

but i allow peaks as high as -10, so i give a nod to dynamics

in mix down, i mix into a compressor across the 2-bus....
usually doing about 2-3 db of reduction, at only about 1.5:1

i change attack and release based on the song requirement...

but point is, that -10 peak here and there, gets a bit more tamed during mixdown,
but my final stereo file (pre master) is typically -22rms with peaks at about -10, so quite a crest there....
and that works for me, to keep dynamics, but still have a pretty loud master without crushing

the most common mistake i see amongst other folks' mixing, is getting those individual faders too HIGH across the board to begin with, not watching the master bus close enough for levels, and then adding automation, including effects, and getting painted into a corner with no headroom.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/08/16 01:40:33 (permalink)
I have read this thread and the SOS article. I am dismayed. Too many references with too many associations.

Fur shur, lots of good advice for all of us to follow. And I welcome all attempts at helping developing safe-recording practices.

But too many of the comments comparing the many different aspects of analogue to digital to playback to processing to summing to exporting to conversion to actual sound are just plain confusing.

A few of my loud verbal responses:

Recording to 24 bit wav files is not the same as playback of these files.

Zero on the sonar meters is NOT 0dbfs.

Zero on the meter of any track/bus/main that is output to the input of an audio converter CAN be an indication of 0dbfs.

There is no headroom above 0dbfs: FS means full scale.

A good reason to track low, and closely monitor plugins, is because some transients are in the nano second range. Meters, and our eyes, do not respond this quickly. But plugins can.

(Reference Tape-op http://www.tapeop.com/interviews/btg/102/bill-cheney/)

I am not suggesting that seeing-no-red is a bad thing. I am suggesting that item by item comparison of all aspects of digital recording and playback with analogue recording and playback is causing confusion. 

Paying attention to not pumping 24 bit plugins beyond their happy zone is reasonable.

But to say we should not use the possible 1000 db of headroom provided by floating point calculations seems silly to me.

If 24 bit wav files are limiting our use of floating point math should we instead use 32 bit files?

Maybe Bob Katz recommendation to always use dither when bouncing to clips and exporting would fix some of what is being discerned as loss of fidelity.

Confusion reigns supreme. 

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/08/16 04:02:33 (permalink)
In terms of VU metering the same applies with analog and digital mediums. In analog, the 0 dB VU represented a level that was well above the analog noise floor but still had some headroom above. The headroom above was just built into the analog system naturally. eg tape.

In digital 0 dB VU is simply a level well below 0 dB FS that is all. eg -14 or -20 dB FS. But in terms of what the meters are telling you, it is the same for both systems.

If you keep an eye on rms levels going in and out of plugins you will never cause any clipping inside the plugin itself.

If you are VU metering on buses it is easy to use the meters to just create the bus mixes and end up with a perfect buss mix and the meters just hitting 0dB VU.

batsbrew has the got the right idea keeping the whole system well down. In terms of K system -20 is the closest level to where batsbrew is with his final mixes. -20 is a magnificent reference and sounds beautiful.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/08/16 10:49:16 (permalink)
jm24
But to say we should not use the possible 1000 db of headroom provided by floating point calculations seems silly to me.

If 24 bit wav files are limiting our use of floating point math should we instead use 32 bit files?

The point of the original post is that the "1000 dB of headroom provided by floating point" isn't always there in practice. A surprising number of otherwise quality plugins just can't handle > 0dB signals without distorting.

I used to believe that 32-bit floating point made it unnecessary to worry about positive decibel values, but discovered that I had been incorrect in that assumption. That was the simple point of this thread, which then took some ancillary side-trips regarding best-practices and metering.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/08/16 16:24:25 (permalink)
jm24

Maybe Bob Katz recommendation to always use dither when bouncing to clips and exporting would fix some of what is being discerned as loss of fidelity.

Not trying to "toot my own horn" - but here's a tutorial I wrote a while back that addresses these issues:

http://soundbytesmag.net/ofdigitalbitsanddecibels/

batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/08/18 12:38:50 (permalink)

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

jsaras
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/08/28 18:10:05 (permalink)
I've been a big believer is recording at lower levels for quite some time and it was a part of my ancient Sonar mixing template probably going back to the Sonar 4 days.  

I've recently made the move to getting my mixes to sound good at -23 LUFS without any compression. I then add a bit of compression where needed and I'll get the final mix to sit somewhere between -16.5 and -15 LUFS.  Now all of my mixes are at very nearly uniform levels.  It makes life a lot easier IMO.  I can make a compilation of material and not have to worry about volume discrepancies.

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Hitting the red: I was wrong about this 2014/08/28 18:44:11 (permalink)
Recording at a lower level digitally is a very good idea.  Many are still pushing things way too loud and wonder why they get into trouble.  At 24 bit recording even in the real world, 138 dB of dynamic range is still possible.  So even if you are at -20 (or -23) you still have 118 dB of dynamic range under your belt!

If you use a decent VU meter plugin (such as the Klanghelm) all this is much easier too.  You can choose a reference that the meter will show 0dB VU.  I tend to work with the K system and work with either K-14 or K-20.  You can use VU meters on tracks, buses and the main stereo buss too.  This way you don't need to consult the loudness meter until the mastering stage.  If you VU meter everywhere especially before and after plugins and plugin chains you will never bring on a clip light anywhere, ever.  (and you will never clip internally with any plugin either)  There is no need to be up near 0 dB FS ever.

When you do this all your mixes will all be at the same level prior to mastering.

Mastering up to -16.5 or -15 is also a good idea because that seems to be the level that the iTunes sound check feature works at.  iTunes won’t change a thing eg add or subtract gain at this mastered level leaving your track perfectly intact.

I have had some mastering clients though that would not accept this (-15) either and they would say it is too soft.  You can go as high as -10 to satisfy that and the mix will still sound punchy and transient but louder.  The trick is to also use a DR meter (dynamic range) and keep an eye on the dynamic range before and after mastering and it will stop you from slamming tracks too hard and making them sound bad.

I work with three metering systems now.  VU meters during the production and the DR and Loudness meters in mastering.  The loudness meter is very interesting too.

The other aspect of VU metering which people just don't get or want to is the movement of the needle or ballistics.  When the meter swings wildly either on a track, buss or main mix it means there is something wrong.  You can track it down and fix it and it is usually only one or two things causing it.  When you set up a compressor correctly the meter moves in a certain way and when it is not set well it moves in a different way.  This information is just not available with any current peak metering or even rms metering system (bar graph displays are not where it at) used in most DAW's.  DR and loudness meters wont help you either in this area too.

When everything is right in the mix the meter just dances beautifully right up to 0 dB VU and rarely overshoots much and rarely jumps over wildly. That is when the mix actually sounds the best. You can even mix with a VU meter bringing in things one at a time and allowing for the needle to start lower and eventually when everything is in, it is just hitting 0 dB VU. I have expensive real VU's and they still have the edge but the Klanghelm VU is very good though and does the job.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2014/08/28 21:58:06

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1