ACT MIDI Controller vs Cakewalk Generic Surface

Author
evileye
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2014/08/25 21:13:24 (permalink)

ACT MIDI Controller vs Cakewalk Generic Surface

I have a keyboard controller not specifically support by SONAR, the Nektar Panorama P6. I'd like to get the most use out of it to control SONAR, VSTs and hardware. I understand, at least the basics of, ACT. What I have confusion over is the difference between the "ACT MIDI Controller" and "Cakewalk Generic Surface" Controller/Surface. What are the strengths and limitations of each? Which one is a better match for the P6?

If this is the wrong subforum for the questions, please feel free to move it or tell me where to post.

Thanks
Mark  

2 Replies Related Threads

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: ACT MIDI Controller vs Cakewalk Generic Surface 2014/08/27 10:43:17 (permalink)
    You can read about ACT MIDI there: http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,107.0.html

In case you use SONAR X, it is better to ask in SONAR X Series section of the forum (more people there). There are already some threads (like http://forum.cakewalk.com/Nektar-Panorama-P4-for-Cakewalk-Sonar-m3079790.aspx).

For your original question: Generic Surface is more straightforward to configure and you have more flexibility in track parameters control, but it can not control buses. ACT MIDI is in fact more "Generic", but it can take some time to understand how to use it (my first link can help). Also ACT MIDI assumes you have fixed amount of controls (much less than your really have).

Please note that both are not going to "get the most use out of" your device. You can try to combine them, but do not be surprised to see some fancy side effects (see another topic on my site). The only hope is that Nektar consider to support SONAR directly (like they have done with IMPACT serie).

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    evileye
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: ACT MIDI Controller vs Cakewalk Generic Surface 2014/08/31 13:29:12 (permalink)
    Thank you for the wealth of information. I'm glad someone has taken some time to put something like that together. Cakewalk really dropped the ball on their documentation. I think it'll take me a few reads through your material it to fully understand it.

The "solution" I've come up for now is to use a combination of a ACT MIDI Controller AND a Cakewalk Generic Surface.

I just started looking at your AZ Controller. It's a great piece of work. I'll be experimenting with it as time permits.

I've put my two cents into Nektar to come up with direct integration for the Panorama series. They won't confirm or deny if they are working on it but said they learned a lot when doing the Impact. What they've done for it with Reason is one of the main reasons behind my purchase. It's a powerful controller and built very well. I will get it to work with SONAR (and my hardware), its just a matter of time and I'm doing my best to focus my time on making music first.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1