Pin a plugin don't work on second screen

Author
mdages
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 139
2015/01/22 18:32:49 (permalink)

Pin a plugin don't work on second screen

Pin a plugin to stay open do only work on my main windows monitor.
When I move the plugins to my second monitor, pinning don't work.

_Markus

12 Replies Related Threads

gustabo
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2591
    Re: Pin a plugin don't work on second screen 2015/01/22 18:59:15 (permalink)
    Does your second monitor perchance lack a taskbar.
    If it is lacking a taskbar, chances are that you cannot move the modules in the control bar after unlocking the bar, only on the monitor that has a task bar.

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
    Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
    PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

mdages
    Re: Pin a plugin don't work on second screen 2015/01/23 08:36:35 (permalink)
    @gustabo

No, my second monitor hasn't a taskbar. It's a very big screen (42") to show my mixer console, plugin windows and film clips.

And my problem isn't about the modules in the control bar. My control bar is on the first screen only.

I've talked about plugin gui windows. They will close everytime when I open another plugin window, regardless of the pin is set or not. This is not happen when I move the plugin window to my main monitor.

And it seems there is another, similar, problem. The new VST recycle window option allows that plugin guis will stay open, like in X3 and before, or not. On my second screen, it makes no difference this option is set or not. The plugin windows always closing when I open another plugin.

Here a question to Cakewalk support. Is it enough to post problems here, or do I have open a support ticket?
    My past experiences with Cakewalk support tickets are not the best in terms of quality and respond times.

_Markus
    gustabo
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2591
    Re: Pin a plugin don't work on second screen 2015/01/23 09:20:52 (permalink)
    mdages
    They will close everytime when I open another plugin window, regardless of the pin is set or not. This is not happen when I move the plugin window to my main monitor.

That's the point I was trying to make, it has something to do with whether there is a taskbar present on the display, collapsible taskbar or not.

What I was trying to point out is if you move your main Sonar window to the monitor without a taskbar, you can't move modules around in your control bar, either.

Support has already been made aware of the taskbar awareness issue. I was an early adopter and discovered strange behaviour on displays without a taskbar.

http://forum.cakewalk.com...Platinum-m3149061.aspx

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
    Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
    PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

mdages
    Re: Pin a plugin don't work on second screen 2015/01/23 17:48:29 (permalink)
    Ok, I've done some tests and my problem is something completely different.
    It has nothing to do with screen 1 or 2 or with the windows taskbar.

The problem is the undocked mixer window, that I have on the second screen.
    Opening a plugin gui from the undocked mixer, pin it and open another plugin from the mixer, it will put the first one behind the mixer window. A pinned plugin gui will not stay on top when it's opened from the undocked mixer window.

This means, with full size mixer window on the screen, the plugin window will dissapear and not stay on top as it should.

For a better showcase of this, I call it a bug, I've done a short screencast video that shows the problem.
    Watch:

music is just a sequence of sounds...
    Sonar Platinum -> R.I.P (Shame on Gibson)
    Cubase Pro 9.5
    Windows 10 x64 German
    Core i7, 12GB RAM - 5 TB HDD/SSD
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 24
    Studiologic Acuna 88
    VSL VE-Pro with windows slave computers
    SilkTone
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1566
    Re: Pin a plugin don't work on second screen 2015/01/25 14:04:16 (permalink)
    gustaboThat's the point I was trying to make, it has something to do with whether there is a taskbar present on the display, collapsible taskbar or not.

What I was trying to point out is if you move your main Sonar window to the monitor without a taskbar, you can't move modules around in your control bar, either.

I moved the main Sonar window to my second monitor, which has no taskbar, and I was still able to move the control bar modules around without problems.

However, my second monitor is on the right, not the left. It turns out many applications have problems with monitors when they are to the left or to the top. This is because on those monitors, the screen coordinates are negative (but valid), and many applications will consider negative coordinates to be out of bounds, causing all sorts of problems.
    mdages
    Re: Pin a plugin don't work on second screen 2015/01/27 08:47:36 (permalink)
    btw, my report in this thread isn't about the control bar and as I discovered at last, it has nothing to do with multiple monitors. My problem with the plugin window pin function is, that the plugin gui will not stay on top of an undocked mixer window.

_Markus

music is just a sequence of sounds...
    Sonar Platinum -> R.I.P (Shame on Gibson)
    Cubase Pro 9.5
    Windows 10 x64 German
    Core i7, 12GB RAM - 5 TB HDD/SSD
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 24
    Studiologic Acuna 88
    VSL VE-Pro with windows slave computers
    Joe Connor [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re: Pin a plugin don't work on second screen 2015/01/27 13:02:36 (permalink)
    Hi mdages, thank you for the information. This is actually intended behavior; the Pin feature allows you to keep multiple plug-ins open simultaneously, but as of now, there is no "float on top" functionality. If you'd like, I'd reccomend submitting this to our Feature Request forum. If it's popular, this could be a feature that gets implemented.

Joe

Splat
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8672
    Re: Pin a plugin don't work on second screen 2015/02/10 13:28:02 (permalink)
    I'll move this to Sonar forums to get it out of problem reports as it is confirmed not to be a bug.
    Please submit a feature request in the feature and ideas forum if necessary.

Thanks..

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
    @48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re: Pin a plugin don't work on second screen 2015/02/10 13:48:16 (permalink)
    I know what Markus is talking about. This is not a bug. Its the way Windows works. What I do to get around this is make sure a portion of a window is always showing. This can be any part of the window but I like the title bar to show. If you also set Windows to an "X mouse configuration" in the Ease of Access via the Control Panel and goto Make the Mouse easier to use check Activate a window by Hovering over it with the mouse. You can bring up a windows that is behind another window.

I use this all the time with Windows. 

Best
    John
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: Pin a plugin don't work on second screen 2015/02/10 13:59:21 (permalink)
    I'm glad Alex moved this to the Sonar forum. 

Best
    John
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Pin a plugin don't work on second screen 2015/02/10 14:08:07 (permalink)
    John
     "X mouse configuration"

I believe you mean "focus follows mouse"
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: Pin a plugin don't work on second screen 2015/02/10 14:18:02 (permalink)
    No I mean X mouse which is an old feature that is no longer used  but can still be accomplished using the steps outlined above.  

Best
    John
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1