help with hanging notes in studio instrument

Author
yubalito
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2015/01/28 17:10:25 (permalink)

help with hanging notes in studio instrument

hi guys, i have been reading allot online on this problem but i never found an answer that works. also most people described their problem a bit differently than what is happening to me so here it goes:

i use cubase 5. i am using the studio instruments vst.
i have been using this product with this daw for a few years now. i used it on many songs i recorded and everything worked fine.
for some reason the other day i pressed the play button of my cubase daw and the vst played the notes without ever stopping them so as you can imagine all the notes were played together as a big mess.
i read in many places that the problem is that the daw does not send the note off to the vst. well 2 things: 1 - it does not seem to be the case as i see the little light (a cubase feature) turn red at note on and a few sec later (i am guessing it is the note off) but the note keeps on playing (until i press the stop button on the vst it self) 2- if this is a case of note off, how the hell do i fix this in cubase 5? i really like this vst and i don't know what to do anymore.
i tried re installing the daw, i tried re installing the vst, i tried re installing both. i tried deleting newer software from the computer that might be clashing with this vst. i really do not know what to do anymore.
your help ASAP would be greatly appreciated.

7 Replies Related Threads

Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: help with hanging notes in studio instrument 2015/01/28 18:05:56 (permalink)

Welcome yubalito,

Are you in any way related to a user by the name of NewRoch ?  S/he had exactly the same problem just three weeks ago, but apparently on Cubase 6 (or 6.5).  See this thread and this thread.  Your english is quite a bit better so I'll presume you're different people.

There is one known issue :  Notes may stick while playing patterns and looping in your host.

If this is not your problem, then something seems to have changed either on the Cubase side or on Cakewalk's.  But Cubase 5 & 6 are old and Studio Instruments are ancient, so it's unlikely that these programs have changed.  Does Cubase still offer patches to versions 5 and 6 ?  Or maybe you both switched to Windows 8 or something ?

I suggest you contact Cakewalk support or call them even if apparently they no longer support Studio Instruments.  If you two have the same problem you can't be alone so maybe they've received other requests and may have some ideas.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    yubalito
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: help with hanging notes in studio instrument 2015/01/29 12:00:42 (permalink)
    hi. well i am not the same person...
    to be honest this . is not exactlly what my problem is because i am not using and patterns that come with the vst.. i am playing my own notes.
    this is really weird. i just installed cubase and the vst on a never before used computer (i mean this computer never had these programs in it) and it is running windows xp (just in case) and the same issue happens. it is driving me nuts... i did use this plugin a few weeks ago without any problem.
    Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: help with hanging notes in studio instrument 2015/01/29 13:19:45 (permalink)
    I just did a quick search of these forums and discovered that this problem has been around for a while.  But you say it was working a short time ago ?  That's promising, but you'll have to figure out what you did to change things.

Using the following search command without the square brackets  (the forum search is broken)

[ notes sticking cubase "studio instruments" site:cakewalk.com ]

I found several similar issues, for instance here, and here  (it's worth reading all of the threads of these messages)

It would be worthwhile to see what midi codes are being sent.  For example, here's a message dealing with NoteOff and AllNotesOff.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    swamptooth
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2229
    Re: help with hanging notes in studio instrument 2015/02/02 05:08:15 (permalink)
    Make sure you don't have a stray sustain on cc in your midi clip. That will cause exactly what you're dealing with.

Arvid H. Peterson
    Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
    Native-Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate and a smattering of other plugins
    Home-brewed VSTs 
    Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
    Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
    Member, ASCAP   

sfz5
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: help with hanging notes in studio instrument 2018/02/27 00:09:19 (permalink)
    Still happening in 2018. And no Cakewalk support. Or was there ever on this thread?
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: help with hanging notes in studio instrument 2018/02/27 00:22:04 (permalink)
    This is a user forum. In 2015, the advice to contact Cakewalk support was a good one. Unfortunately the OP never returned to report what support had to say (assuming they were contacted)
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    Re: help with hanging notes in studio instrument 2018/03/01 16:54:26 (permalink)
    I just encountered the problem previously and the only way I found to stop it was to click the Reset MIDI and Audio button in the Transport module.

See the Cakewalk Knowledge Base.   Hanging Midi Notes

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1