Helpful ReplyWhy Should I Upgrade to the New Sonar?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
richlion821
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: Why Should I Upgrade to the New Sonar? 2015/02/01 15:54:58 (permalink)
I was looking at the same reason you were. I didn't have a clue Cakewalk had a new version coming out, I've been too busy with my new iClone 6 version. I've been with Cakewalk since Cakewalk DOS, and I always got notice of when they had a new version up until now. To be honest I was looking to upgrade by now. I use a lot of midi and audio channels and now and then a instrument would not start for a note or two randomly. I adjusted a tweaked everything, disabled when I remembered other drivers etc. Never was completely satisfied. Bought a new MB 2 weeks ago and Win7 pro to upgrade to 32GB of memory, and I still had same problem now and then. I downloaded Sonar Platinum last night and so far it's great. I'm knocking on wood. I been searching all over to see if they changed their audio engine or CPU processing method, but to no avail. Yes they added a vocal thing which I haven't figured out how to use and a new reverb which took awhile for me to find because it is only available in the Pro tools channel, but it's nothing that special to me. I'll try the new Sonar again later, but if this program stops the sometimes initial dead audio track, it's worth the price me. Then it's what I been hoping for. If my Sonar X3 Pro was working fine like your system, I would not have upgraded.      
post edited by richlion821 - 2015/02/03 02:28:16

Homebuilt computer: Arock  Taichi motherboard , 128 GB RAM, Intel i7 6800 @3.6 Ghz. GTX 1070 video card. 2 monitors on a dual vertical stand, MOTU 24AO interface, 2- Behringer ADA8200's; Win 10 Pro. Sonar Platinum. Cakewalk since Cakewalk DOS. Presonus 32.4.2 AI mixer.

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Why Should I Upgrade to the New Sonar? 2015/02/01 16:07:03 (permalink)
Why Should I Upgrade to the New Sonar?

Because you want to.

Best
John
kb420
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1839
Re: Why Should I Upgrade to the New Sonar? 2015/02/01 16:15:21 (permalink)
Only you know why you should update.

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
cpkoch
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 345
Re: Why Should I Upgrade to the New Sonar? 2015/02/01 20:06:24 (permalink)
But you know??? The new system iCons are really really sexy.  Is there a better reason to upgrade!

Sonar Platinum, HP Z210 Desktop PC,  Windows 10  64 Bit, 12  GB RAM,  Steinberg UR22 Interface Unit,  M-Audio Keyboard Studio USB MIDI Keyboard, APEX-TK -Condenser Unidirectional MIC, Audio Technica AT2020 USB MIC

mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: Why Should I Upgrade to the New Sonar? 2015/02/01 20:41:51 (permalink)
Anderton 
But most people are upgrading solely for the new amp sims . Okay, not really. 

Yeah..come wipe the beverage spewage off my monitors now, pleeze....
Always a class clown, isn't there?

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re: Why Should I Upgrade to the New Sonar? 2015/02/01 20:51:47 (permalink)
If you can imagine moving to another DAW in the next year, then NO, do not upgrade Sonar. Spend your money and time with the next program.

If you are a dependable CW customer, it is your responsibility to purchase the new program as soon as you can. At $200 per year, $20 per month, 66 cents per day, this is a no brainer. Do not waste any life-time to other than purchasing.

Based upon the number of hours I get to play with sonar per week, I figger this update will cost me about $7.70 per week. How can I complain about this?

I have been purchasing the top version of sonar each year. So I have been gifted with all the freebees.

Our upgrade dollars are a reward to those we have chosen to do this work for us.

Not to be insulting:::: If you even think for a moment you are paying for the included content instead of the DAW program I suggest you move to another program.
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Why Should I Upgrade to the New Sonar? 2015/02/01 23:18:54 (permalink)
So obviously I'd be expected to say wonderful things about SONAR but...I finally finished the 2 hours of live recordings from CES from two different artists on three different nights, all 96/24 stuff, quite a bit of ProChannel and plug-ins for imaging and such because I was getting a feed from the FOH mixer (which as you know mixes for the audience, not a recording studio). I have to say the experience in Platinum has been exceptionally smooth. No crashes, fidgeting, weirdness, freezes...nothing except it just kinda purred along.

I haven't had a chance to play with a lot of the other goodies, though, and I'm kind of salivating as a read about the new reverb, the PRV improvements, AD2, etc. 

I do think the team's efforts to eradicate bugs is making some serious progress.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
deswind
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 952
Re: Why Should I Upgrade to the New Sonar? 2015/02/01 23:25:15 (permalink)
Is it fair to say that the audio engine appears to be a little smoother than X3e (if that is possible)?  For instance, does it improve latency performance?
Keano66
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 81
Re: Why Should I Upgrade to the New Sonar? 2015/02/01 23:45:19 (permalink)
Don't bother upgrading is my advice. The hoops you have to jump through to install the damn thing ain't worth it. Believe me. Platinum itself looks like a joy but addicted drums 2 is, well, a bloody nightmare to install. If it is indeed possible to do.

Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Why Should I Upgrade to the New Sonar? 2015/02/01 23:53:39 (permalink)
I haven't heard of anyone else having a problem with AD2... I sure didn't! Your experience is unique or it would have been all over the forum for awhile now...

Such situations often turn out to be user error or rare/messed up system, not cakewalk... as Scook suggested, you should contact XLN... they are very responsive to even stupid questions like a few of mine have been...

I had AD1 one on X3... followed the instructions for AD2 on platinum...totally easy, slick and transparent...

Thus, I think anyone should ignore your advice as it is a one off experience and so far it is unclear why it is happening... Rather than take personal responsibility and figuring it out you come over to this thread and say "believe me"... I say, "no way"... Do your homework...you haven't... betcha it's the ole user error...(I've made lots of them and in the end... wacked my head and went "Doh!"
post edited by Vastman - 2015/02/01 23:59:48

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
Keano66
Re: Why Should I Upgrade to the New Sonar? 2015/02/02 00:03:12 (permalink)
That is the frustrating thing - everything else seemed to install ok. All except AD1 and AD2 which installs as 32bit unlicensed software. I still would like a situation where you could not install any 32 bit  software - no where on the command centre did I see any options to do that. If I missed it, then Cakewalk should be more explicit where to find it. Anyway, I am off to bed - it's 5am in the morning here in England! I'll sort out the refund later on today. Thanks for listening to my wails! :)

btw, I still think Sonar x3 is amazing!
Keano66
Re: Why Should I Upgrade to the New Sonar? 2015/02/02 00:05:56 (permalink)
Vastman...did you install AD2 on a fresh install of Windows? Not being belligerent or anything - just a genuine question as I would still like to get this thing working...

GregGraves
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 282
Re: Why Should I Upgrade to the New Sonar? 2015/02/03 04:06:05 (permalink)
I see 2 reasons to upgrade:

1.  To keep Cakewalk employees paid so they can continue to support this amazing DAW.  If nobody upgrades, and there is no corporate cash flow ... you know the story.  I got laid off, but I saw it coming and put in motion an Evil Plan.  I told them not to touch my Staple-er!!  So just think if people like me work at Cakewalk, and they got laid off, what might the world look like?  So by upgrading we are supporting the people who support us.

2.  The focus on this forum is going to shift to whatever DAW version is current.  I have ProAudio 7 disks lying around here somewhere in all this mess ... so maybe as an experiment I'll install that and post some questions.  I wonder how that would work.  Probably poorly.

That said, I don't plan on upgrading ---soon--- because I am in the middle of some things.  Once I manage to give birth and conclude this insanity, I'll upgrade.

I am "Five Foot Wall" on Spotify, Deezer, etc.  Platinum, Windows 7 64bit, AMD FX-6100 hex-core @3.8ghz, 8 gig ram (never use more than 5 gigs), Delta 44, UM-2
[Note: join date reflects inability to migrate old account to new forum]

https://greggraves.bandcamp.com/track/whatcha-gonna-do
https://greggraves.bandcamp.com/track/true-believer-man

Bristol_Jonesey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Why Should I Upgrade to the New Sonar? 2015/02/03 05:55:20 (permalink)
Keano66
Vastman...did you install AD2 on a fresh install of Windows? Not being belligerent or anything - just a genuine question as I would still like to get this thing working...

I didn't do anything like that, I just installed it.

You don't get to see that it's AD2 until you install one of the Adpacks, I hope this is the only bit you're missing.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Why Should I Upgrade to the New Sonar? 2015/02/03 12:07:57 (permalink)
I installed AD2 from the Command Center which just downloads and opens a PDF with instructions on how to get the AD2 packs. I don't think AD1 comes with the new Sonar line since, well, AD2 does. I still have AD1 installed from X3, this doesn't impact that at all, they are completely separate. I believe they are both 64 bit. I followed the instructions, downloaded and installed the AD installer, logged into my account (already created from AD1), entered my AD2 serial from the CC (also on my account page) and it gave me the option to start picking packs. I suppose that is a couple of steps more than it just happening automatically somehow, but honestly the instructions in the PDF are very clear and following them didn't cause me any pain at all. I really don't understand where you're getting hung up, and I hope you get it sorted, but it's really not difficult at all and not something that potential new customers should be given the impression is any kind of roadblock.

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
Earwax
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 242
Re: Why Should I Upgrade to the New Sonar? 2015/02/03 18:16:23 (permalink)
deswind
Is it fair to say that the audio engine appears to be a little smoother than X3e (if that is possible)?  For instance, does it improve latency performance?

Excellent question. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait for the official improvement/bug fix list to come out to receive an answer.

Pain - the absence of things hoped for, the evidence of catastrophes unforeseen.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1