Pitch Shifting - somewhat off topic

Author
NYSR
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1550
2015/02/28 11:43:24 (permalink)

Pitch Shifting - somewhat off topic

I am looking for a device that can do real time pitch shifting. I am not looking for pitch correction. I want a device that can be connected between a microphone and the mixer that can lower or raise the pitch of the voice. I would be using it for voice overs to extend the possibilities of the voiceovers that I record. I have an older SGX-2000 E from ART that does a half way decent job. I can also do this in post edit. But right now I have a client that would like to be able to have an announcer on their broadcast whose voice can be 2 or 3 half steps lower for real time and spontaneous announcing.

Preferably a hardware device. What are you aware of as available on the market? Thanks so much.

Cakewalk customer since Apprentice version 1, PreSonus 16.4.2 ai, 3.5 gHz i7

5 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Pitch Shifting - somewhat off topic 2015/02/28 11:45:55 (permalink)
    Eventide?  They are the masters of pitch shifting etc.  You can find an older unit for much less, but the Eclipse is about $2000.  I don't know if there stomp boxes have good pitch shifting, and they are cheaper.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    b rock
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re: Pitch Shifting - somewhat off topic 2015/02/28 14:22:51 (permalink)
    I've used an Eventide PitchFactor for years.  Amazing pitch shift processing in a pedal format.  Nowadays,  an Eventide H9 would be the better choice.  There are three varieties:  H9 Max (all algorithms), H9 Standard (starts with 10 algos + an algorithm  "coupon", if I recall), and H9 Core (1 algorithm - 1 "coupon" for a second algo of your choice).

Highly customizable and configurable, H9 Control editor for Win/Mac/iOS Bluetooth, downloadable algorithms, etc.  Even the H9 Core comes with the H910 / H949 pitch shifter algo (with a Modern type for best signal processing).  If you need real-time polyphonic processing, there are better solutions.  But for your particular application (and many others), try looking into Eventide (and their MixingLink, if you don't have an equivalent for preamping).
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Pitch Shifting - somewhat off topic 2015/02/28 14:26:11 (permalink)
    ooo ooo there's B-Rock!!

B-Rock! Off-topic...
    :-)

We got some new Rapture sounds in the latest Sonar release but my hold pedal on my GR-20 doesn't hold them. Is there a switch I flip somewhere to get them work with a hold?

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    b rock
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re: Pitch Shifting - somewhat off topic 2015/02/28 16:30:22 (permalink)
    Geoff (OT):

I'm holding out on the Sonar upgrade, so I'm not familiar with the new content.  I can talk to someone who might have been involved in the patch programming to see what's what.

Best guess:  Without fail, all of the presets to date had SUS/SOST (in the upper-left Multisample window) both defaulting to On/On.  Maybe these particular presets don't.  CC#64 and CC#66 are two of the hardwired MIDI messages in Rapture (unless something drastic has changed).  But they can be overridden in the Multisample window.

All else fails, try putting CC#64 in a Modulation Matrix slot.  (You didn't change the Hold Mode on the synth, did you?  H4, if I recall correctly.  I'm sure you checked against other working Rapture presets first, though.)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Struggling back on-topic, the H9 Max has completely rounded out my pedalboard.  I originally went with Eventide for the top-notch pitch shifting, but now the H9 covers nearly everything else downstream (some modulation FX are the weakest links).  I'm close to minimal synthesizer use, because my "MIDI controller" is now my guitars, pedalboard, and rack FX.
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Pitch Shifting - somewhat off topic 2015/02/28 20:33:03 (permalink)

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1