Helpful ReplySONAR X3 hangs or doesn't even start

Author
Steffen Heller
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41
2015/03/05 14:49:21 (permalink)

SONAR X3 hangs or doesn't even start

Hello everyone,

my name is Steffen, I am new here, this is my first post and I hope I do everything okay.
I am here because I am having major problems with my SONAR X3. Basically I can't work with it anymore because it either hangs or doesn't even start anymore.
It began a few months ago when it would more and more often just stop responding while I was working with it. If that happens I have to force SONAR to shut down. After such a hang and shut down the Audio driver is somewhat lost so that I have to restart the computer to get it back to normal.

That used to happen about once every hour or every two hours.
Then during the last few days or weeks it got worse and SONAR would often hang right from the start, immediately after opening a project, as soon as I made a first click anywhere. With that I often had to start and restart my computer a few time before I would finally get it to work.

And now yesterday I had again been going through different loops of starts and restarts and just wanted to try things and find solutions when I changed the driver setting from ASIO to WASAPI.
This caused another hang and made it all even worse because after that SONAR wouldn't even open a project anymore. It starts hanging when I click a project to open it. Afterwards, after shutting it down again it is not even possible to start SONAR at all.

So this is where I am standing now. I can't work with it at all and I am desperately searching for a fix.
I suppose this won't be done with a single step:
I will have to get it to start somehow to switch back to ASIO as this seems to have added to my problems. Then I will need to find out where the culprit lies, most probably I have to go through the different plugins and check if something is wrong with some of them.

So what I am planning is to start it in save mode (with SHIFT clicked) and then get into the settings. If this doesn't work I could try to open the AUD.ini file (which is the configuration file as I was told) and rename it or set it back to a previous state. Possibly this could be like a fresh start with settings back to standard (not sure, but hopefully it is!?).  Finally if none of that works I could set my whole operating system back to a previous state.

Please tell me what you think about my plans?
Has anyone had similiar problems before and found a solutions?
Any hints where such problems like occasional hangs do come from? I have a pretty fresh system with no other programs on it except for different VST plugins? 
Are plugins the typical cause for such problems and how can I go about it? Is there anything better that just deactivating all and then turn them on one by one, see what happens and hope to sort out the bad ones? Wouldn't it be possible to set up a save list of plugins that work. 

In short, you see I am having a problem here. So throw everything at me that could be of help. I am grateful for any kind of advice or hint.  

Thanks,
Steffen

DAW : SONAR Professional Kingston, 64bit
PC : i5 - 4570, 3,2GHz, LGA1150, Quad-Core
RAM : 8 GB (2x4) Kingston 1333 Mhz 
Interface : Line6 UX1
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: SONAR X3 hangs or doesn't even start 2015/03/05 17:20:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Steffen Heller 2015/03/06 15:26:04
Well, if you can launch Sonar, when the Quick Open dialog box pops up, just his Escape, to make it go away.

Then, you can hit 'P' for Preferences, and make adjustments to your settings.

Generally, plugins are at the heart of the kinds of issues you were having within projects, and more specifically, usually one or more 32-bit plugin might no longer work in a 64-bit install of Sonar.

Once you get into Preferences, I would suggest going back to a driver mode of ASIO, for whatever audio interface you are using.  You might need to uncheck your audio interface in Devices under Audio before it will let you change to ASIO driver mode (and click Apply after making that change).

In addition, you might consider a reset and FULL rescan of your plugins.

I would hope that the above would help get things working better.

I would also suggest you run Windows Update and apply all required/recommended maintenance until there is none left to install (you would need to keep going back to run Windows Update, install the patches, probably restart Windows, then repeat the cycle until it comes back with no more updates to install).

Once you get Windows maintenance up to current levels, you might also want to check to see if there are any updates to the drivers for your audio interface, and apply those if found.

The good news is that your issues would seem to be specific to your computer/environment, because that means that there isn't some big problem that everybody is crashing, so the issues are likely going to be able to be solved.  :)

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: SONAR X3 hangs or doesn't even start 2015/03/06 09:07:00 (permalink)
Just to confirm are you running the latest version of X3 - I think it revision e.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

Steffen Heller
Re: SONAR X3 hangs or doesn't even start 2015/03/06 11:18:50 (permalink)
dwardzala
Just to confirm are you running the latest version of X3 - I think it revision e.

Yes, I installed SONARX3ePatch.exe about 2 or 3 months ago. I had minor problems before and was hoping this would solve it but that didn't change anything back then.
orangesporanges
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 342
Re: SONAR X3 hangs or doesn't even start 2015/03/06 11:53:07 (permalink)
I tend to agree with robert on this one. In addition to searching for errant plugins, bump up the buffers in preferences, to give your processor and sound card a little "breathing room". If you have it set to a fairly low level( 64 or 32) try 128 or 256. You'll get some noticeable latency at those settings, but at least it should start up without immediately hanging up. That will give you a chance to fine tune our system a little more. 

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 64bit, 3.4ghz i7CPU,  16gigs RAM, 1x 1TB SSD system drive 1 x 1TB HDD ( audio only)
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: SONAR X3 hangs or doesn't even start 2015/03/06 13:32:31 (permalink)
It looks like you have tagged this as answered so hopefully all is good now. 

But to add a few things I would also recommend running Latency Mon and make sure your computer is not running background processes that are causing DPCL issues. This is often a problem when things grind to a halt. There are many of us who found disabling Video card audio or even on board audio solved issues with DPCL issues. Wireless is also well known to interfere. 
And as always make sure all drivers are up to date. 

You might also want to try a loop back test to see how good those Line 6 drivers are performing. 
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Lets-all-TEST-our-Interface-driver-for-offset-m3178396.aspx

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Steffen Heller
Re: SONAR X3 hangs or doesn't even start 2015/03/06 15:23:41 (permalink)
Cactus Music
It looks like you have tagged this as answered so hopefully all is good now. 

I don't know. I didn't do anything, at least not consciously tag it as answered. So, I don't know, must have accidentially clicked somewhere.
BUT: It doesn't look so bad, see my replay to Bob.

Edit:
Now I figured where that "Answered" tag comes from. I replied to Dave's comment and clicked on "answer" thinking it meant I would directly respond that way. I corrected that now. 
post edited by Steffen Heller - 2015/03/07 10:54:09
Steffen Heller
Re: SONAR X3 hangs or doesn't even start 2015/03/06 15:43:57 (permalink)
@Bob:
Thanks man. Your tips have helped me a lot.
I followed your description starting with a check for Windows and soundcard updates. And in fact, my audio interface driver was outdated (it is a Line6 UX1). I never recognized that because I was always searching on the Line6  homepage for driver downloads (which I couldn't find and so I thought there weren't any) until finally I remembered that that is not the way to do it at all. They have that program "monkey" that does the checking and updating in case it is needed. My driver that was listed there was marked with a warning sign and such and didn't even have a version number. So I think/hope it was a real bad one and replacing it with an up-to-date driver could be a the solution or at least a big steps towards it.

Afterwards I opened SONAR. Here clicking "P" to get to the preferences and circumventing the risk of another hang by not opening a project in the first place also helped. I turned the driver setting back to ASIO and everything looked okay. Afterwards I was playing around with a project and it seemed to work smoothly and didn't crash for an hour or so. Then I left SONAR since I wanted leave with a positive vibe ;-) I will check more thoroughly later.

For now, I am quite positive that it could get back to normal.
So again thanks, also to Dave, orangesporanges and Johnny. I will have a closer look at your tips a little later.

robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: SONAR X3 hangs or doesn't even start 2015/03/06 15:54:24 (permalink)
Well, that IS good news - if it holds up that this has resolved your issues.

Please continue to test, and post back in a bit with either a confirmation that you are a happy camper now, or give and update with whatever new info you may have that we can use to dig in deeper to try to get things resolved for you.

I am personally rooting for things holding up in continued testing - meaning that this is resolved for you.

Fingers and toes crossed on your behalf, 

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: SONAR X3 hangs or doesn't even start 2015/03/06 23:55:21 (permalink)
YA , I bet you it's good to go now, drivers are the most critical part of this crazy stuff. 
I remember reading that line 6 had done some work on the drivers a few years back. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Steffen Heller
Re: SONAR X3 hangs or doesn't even start 2015/03/07 07:36:08 (permalink)
orangesporanges
(...) bump up the buffers in preferences, to give your processor and sound card a little "breathing room". If you have it set to a fairly low level( 64 or 32) try 128 or 256. (...)

I checked my buffer settings. I think they should be okay and not too low. Would anyone disagree or find some fault with the following?

I checked at Preferences > Audio > Drivers and clicked "ASIO-Panel..." which opened another window called "Line6 Audio-Midi Devices" with the following settings:
--------------------------------------
ASIO Client:
Default Buffer Size: 512
Default Bit Depth: 16 bit
----------------------------------------
and then there is a slider with my mark (^) somewhere between "Extra Small" and "Medium" with no numbered values
----------------------------------------------------
Buffer Size:
| Extra Small |    | Medium |    | Extra Large |
                   ^       
------------------------------------------------------
Steffen Heller
Re: SONAR X3 hangs or doesn't even start 2015/03/07 07:51:03 (permalink)
About plugins:
We talked about that plugins can be the cause for problems. I haven't really understood how I would check them.
What I now did was opening a project with the SHIFT key pressed so that SONAR opens in safe mode and asks for every plugin whether it should be opened or not.
Is this the way to do it or is there something else?
I must say that I never got any feedback from SONAR about faulty plugins, neither with this safe mode approach nor with the checking at preferences > data > VST settings*. So I never got a real feel for how reliable this is.
Would SONAR detect problems with plugins with these checks or is it more likely that plugins pass these tests undetected and still cause problems later on in operation?

-----------------------------------
* I am not 100% sure about the correct wording since I use a German language version of SONAR
Steffen Heller
Re: SONAR X3 hangs or doesn't even start 2015/03/07 09:30:11 (permalink)
Okay, I had another freeze/hang.
I was working with SONAR for an hour or little more with no obvious limitation when suddenly the teleport server error message popped up  (translation would be something like "The Teleport Server doesn't function anymore. The program is not working properly because of a problem..."). 
Playback stopped and SONAR stopped responding. I could still click here and there but there was no reaction and then the next error message appeared with something like "SONAR doesn't respond..."
So after a couple of minutes I had to shut it down like I always do with a click on "X" and a little waiting.

Starting SONAR again I got the same next error message as before "no audio devices for the current drivers connected to your system" and when I opened SONAR and went to preferences I could confirm that the fields were empty at
preferences > audio > devices and
preferences > audio > driver timing-master playback / recording

When this happened I was playing around with a plugin called 5orcery which didn't seem to cause any problems so far.

* So is this something worth searching for a cause or is one crash per hours just a normal number one has to be prepared for?
* And, is there anything I can do to fix the "no audio devices..." problem except for restarting the computer (which is what I now always do)?

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: SONAR X3 hangs or doesn't even start 2015/03/07 09:53:41 (permalink)
Steffen Heller
Okay, I had another freeze/hang.
I was working with SONAR for an hour or little more with no obvious limitation when suddenly the teleport server error message popped up  (translation would be something like "The Teleport Server doesn't function anymore. The program is not working properly because of a problem..."). 

I think that would indicate a problem with a 32-bit plug-in in a 64-bit system. Plug-in bridging can work well but it is not always foolproof. This is why, for example, 64-bit Studio One Pro does not do bridging and requires 64-bit plug-ins. Some users have reported plug-ins that didn't work with BitBridge (what SONAR uses) run under J Bridge, and vice-versa. However, ultimately the fewer 32-bit plug-ins you use, the better.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Steffen Heller
Re: SONAR X3 hangs or doesn't even start 2015/03/07 10:44:45 (permalink)
Thanks Anderton. I must admit I didn't know what the teleport server stands for.
So it needs some kind of technology to make 32bit plugins work in a 64bit system. SONAR uses BitBridge to do that. The teleport server is some part of that and a teleport error message indicates that there was a problem with a 32bit plugin. Would that be correct, in its very simplified form?
I must admit I still have plenty of old 32bit plugins so this could be something I should put an eye on.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1