Helpful ReplyCan't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center"

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
williamcopper
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
2015/03/26 17:19:16 (permalink)

Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center"

I thought it would be innocuous enough to download the newer help files .. but apparently I also must take the tutorials, and IT CAN'T BE PAUSED.   Got to kill the computer to stop the monster?    While I like improvements to sonar, maybe some programmer could take time to work on CCC?  
noonie
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 68
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/26 18:01:10 (permalink)
LOL...I just did the same thing.
Pause would be nice. However, I did not have to kill computer to stop....just closing Command Center worked.

Dell Latitude E6500
P9700 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
MOTU Ultralite mkIII Hybrid
Win 7 32-bit
Sonar  Platinum
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/26 18:53:58 (permalink)
You don't need to mess with things that have cloven hoofs, sulfurous breath, tridents, and breathe fire. Nor do you have to download anything at all. Just click on Help > What's New and the new help files show up as part of it:

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/26 19:10:41 (permalink)
Yanno... after all these complaints you've posted about the CCC SOMEBODY must have pointed out the offline install option to you. Seriously, if you hate the CCC this much just use the offline method. It's pretty much like the old way of doing things (except the reg process is slightly different). I haven't used CCC and don't really intend to because I don't like programs calling home and doing stuff "for" me... so I used the offline way.

Very VERY simple solution to your issues.
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 04:33:04 (permalink)
Beepster
Yanno... after all these complaints you've posted about the CCC SOMEBODY must have pointed out the offline install option to you. Seriously, if you hate the CCC this much just use the offline method. It's pretty much like the old way of doing things (except the reg process is slightly different). I haven't used CCC and don't really intend to because I don't like programs calling home and doing stuff "for" me... so I used the offline way.

Very VERY simple solution to your issues.

I think he was talking about having to download more than a GIG of data to get new help files with the Braintree update.

The help file has only recently become available on its own I dare say because of all the complaints. This is the first time I've heard that news so its not too widely spread.

It has nothing to do with an offline install because you have to download the GIG+ of data to get it as it wasn't included until Braintree. That means we download 1 GIG + with Allston for help and tutorials and had to do it all again with the next version that only included a 50 meg Sonar Ref Guide.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Doktor Avalanche
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4294
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 04:36:58 (permalink)
Wow so these updates aren't even differential? Ouch...
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 04:42:38 (permalink)
Correct, must download 1.3GB for a 40MB pdf... I have not seen this pdf posted solo as in the days of old. The installer also just throws it where it was told to, so you have to hunt it down later.

So far it appears the updates are cumulative.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 04:52:29 (permalink)
Gobsmacked.
Beepster
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 07:26:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2015/03/27 15:03:20
What is needed is more finite separation of material which I would personally like. As much as possible as well as a sorting feature. So with this you would have the option to download all the Help Files at once or click a drop down to get access to individual components. Each component would have release date beside the entry and an "Info" button to describe exactly what the download contains in more detail. Have a Sort By function to sort by date (so all the newest stuff goes to the top) or alphabetically to make searching for specific items easier. A search function to enter keywords would be useful as well.

I mentioned this after I first used the new store (using the offline method). So not really a problem with CCC. It's an issue of parting out the components better to accomodate the new distro system. Bulk downloads were okay (but still a little annoying) when it was a yearly release cycle. Not that it's month to month it's going to become imperative to separate things better.

Cheers.
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 10:12:50 (permalink)
Yea, Help pdf should be a separate download.  I'm sure Cake is figuring that out.  They seem to be handling the incremental updating nicely, but everything takes time.  At the very least they should put up a link to a separate SONAR Help files  outside of CCC.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 11:02:07 (permalink)
Wow... that IS bad and DOES need to be addressed. I think more users are point and click, button pushing knob turners like ME.. who just click the link and trust that good things will happen. I have neither the time nor the inclination to figure out a "Better way" to do something when presented with something like CCC. I am beginning to think that making CCC work for everyone in the most efficient way and make it capable of a fully customizing any installation or update should be a TOP priority. This particular item should be enough to get undivided attention.
Having to download over 1G to get a 40mb file should not be inflicted on the unsuspecting.
IMO...
J

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 11:21:28 (permalink)
In the past the pdf was created and never updated. If the current version follows that same model, the pdf will be updated at most once a year. While it is excessive to download the tutorials to get the pdf, given the frequency, how bad is it? If on the other hand, the pdf is updated more often, I could see it being an issue.
williamcopper
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 11:29:13 (permalink)
I agree it's not that big a deal, but it was disrupting to my life for a quarter hour.    And, yes: like not making tiny areas that have to be clicked .. as a general principle, give advance warnings about things that will lock you up for a longish period of time.   (I exaggerated about having to kill my computer, but I DID have to stop the process, and of course the download later began ALL over again (:   )
Beepster
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 13:54:27 (permalink)
I am not a fan of dedicated installer programs that automatically do stuff like NI's installer. I am glad Cakewalk left the offline option. If they hadn't I certainly would have been doing some groaning but I think the Baker's realize we're all a finicky bunch and can only get away with so much before a riot breaks out.

Perhaps I will come up with a solid, well thought out scheme for handling how the downloads are served up and post a feature request. I had some thoughts about it when first installing Platinum and this has me thinking about it more.

Really though I already covered the gist of it. Make sure things are separated as much as possible (but allow for bulk downloads of specific sets of components like it is now), make sure everything has an exact date on when the last time that element was updated (so we can cross reference with when we, the users last downloaded/installed that segment... and I mean retroactively like DimPro would show that it has not been updated for years, loops and patches would be dated so we know what we may or may not have), maybe have an extra option showing what we have downloaded already and when we did it and toss in some Sort and Search options. Still thinking on it but if we are going to get updates every month or so it's going to get very confusing very quickly.
Anderton
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 14:25:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jbow 2015/03/28 14:36:16
AT
At the very least they should put up a link to a separate SONAR Help files  outside of CCC.

Agreed it would be convenient to have local help files as a separate download, but unless I'm misunderstanding what you want, that link already exists with SONAR. When you click on Help, you have access to info on all the new features without having to download anything. See post #3.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 14:28:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jbow 2015/03/28 14:36:20
jbow
Wow... that IS bad and DOES need to be addressed. I think more users are point and click, button pushing knob turners like ME.. who just click the link and trust that good things will happen.

For the online help files, that's the way it works now...please see previous post. The online help gets more regular updates than the PDF, which as scook pointed out, isn't exactly a living document...

The eZine gives the basics, while the online help gives more detail and is updated coincident with the release. 

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 16:47:26 (permalink)
Reiterating posts that have been scattered about, some people pay for bandwidth discretely and some want to have something to read offline. Perfectly valid.

As I am getting the feel more and more that this forum is becoming a "free beta test platform," it is disconcerting when feedback is often initially met with a workaround (as a "solution") or worse, a rationalized excuse as to why users should lower their expectations. The steadfastness of this mindset is the proverbial "train wreck waiting to happen." Something to consider, at least.

New SONAR users who do not read these forums are the most disadvantaged, since they are not going to be privy to any of this and simply make assessments based on the program resident on their machine.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 17:46:34 (permalink)
mettelus
Reiterating posts that have been scattered about, some people pay for bandwidth discretely and some want to have something to read offline. Perfectly valid.

As I am getting the feel more and more that this forum is becoming a "free beta test platform," it is disconcerting when feedback is often initially met with a workaround (as a "solution") or worse, a rationalized excuse as to why users should lower their expectations. The steadfastness of this mindset is the proverbial "train wreck waiting to happen." Something to consider, at least.

New SONAR users who do not read these forums are the most disadvantaged, since they are not going to be privy to any of this and simply make assessments based on the program resident on their machine.

The way to avoid being a beta tester is to wait another month before installing it, but still I have to agree at least in part.

Software released with workarounds in the readme files should not be released .... period. Of course having a workaround is better than nothing, but it shouldn't happen. Software should just ... install correctly ..  ... that's what we are used to as modern windows users nowadays. We are not all Linux administrators. And this idea that you install software to a different location all of a sudden makes you an advanced user is kind of bogus.

If software does not get installed to the correct file paths as stated in the registry then Cakewalk should wait until it is ready before releasing rather than cluttering up our hard drives. I don't mind working around trivial/minor bugs that will be fixed later, but having to play hunt the thimble on checking files to reduce clutter on my hard drive for every release is tiresome. The way I organise my files and folders is very important to me.

On the whole this is a good release... But hopefully the penny is dropping now...
post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/03/27 17:54:30
jatoth
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 363
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 17:57:21 (permalink)
I totally agree with posts #17 & #18.

John

X3e Producer, Sonar Platinum, Sweetwater CreationStation i5 3.1gHz, 12 GB RAM, 500GB SSD OS drive, 1TB SSD audio drive, 1TB archive/misc drive, dual 22" monitors, Windows 7x64, SaffirePro40 (firewire), MOTU MIDI Express XT, Behringer BCF2000, dbx 586, Samson Servo 120a, Yamaha HS80M, Auratone 5c Cubes, Sennheiser HD650, Sony MDR 7509HD, Sony MDR 7506, Kurzweil K2500XS, Roland XP-30, Proteus 2000.
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 18:13:27 (permalink)
Beepster
I am not a fan of dedicated installer programs that automatically do stuff like NI's installer. I am glad Cakewalk left the offline option.

With Ni's service center you can download the installer to the designated folder, and then run the installer manually away from Service Center. You can do exactly the same with CCC.

In addition you can download the patches manually from the NI website which Cakewalk does not do.

So NI Service center  is very similar to CCC, however CCC has far less features right now.
Gone!!
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 797
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 18:20:27 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
In addition you can download the patches manually from the NI website which Cakewalk does not do.

You sure about that ? I install everything via Command Center, and also download the individual files for storing away from my user account on the Cakewalk site, perhaps I am just imagining it ?
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 18:28:44 (permalink)
I stand corrected if you can also download the patches from the Cakewalk website as well. So if that's the case it's exactly the same as NI just CCC has less features which will no doubt improve. Why bother downloading the files from the website however when you are also downloading them to a folder via ccc?
Anderton
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 18:34:58 (permalink)
Mettelus

I don't think anyone is expecting users to lower their expectations. A workaround is not intended to be a solution. Also, there's not a lot of documentation that doesn't have a troubleshooting section...and I wonder how many people actually had to avail themselves of the procedure that was mentioned.

The reality is that even if software sits on the shelf and is released eventually as a giant update, there will be bugs. It's likely there will be quite a few bugs that all happen at once. Then there follows several months of patches to fix them all.

The scope here is simply smaller. There were a lot of things released but nowhere near as many as a giant yearly update and AFAIC, the number of issues is proportionately small. Also, I'm not sure having multisamples installed outside of a folder (which is fixable) or having a control bar revert to a default are show-stoppers that will keep anyone from making music. Meanwhile, there have been plenty of reports in these forums of installations that worked smoothly, features that work as expected, and general happiness with the way this has all unfolded.

Of course there will be issues. I have never met a piece of software that stayed on 1.0 unless the company went out of business shortly thereafter . But you can either change your model to a "rapid response team" and work to perfect that, or keep issuing big, infrequent updates and keep doing patches afterward. Either way, bugs are unavoidable. The question is would you rather have a few features (with a few bugs) happening frequently, or lots of features (and a proportionately larger number of bugs) happening infrequently. 

As with the transition to X-series, there will be growing pains but I believe very few people who have proficient with the X-series want to return to SONAR 8.5. I think that as the Membership program gets perfected - remember, this is only month #2 of something that has not been done before by Cakewalk - few people would want to go back to the old model.

Gone!!
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 18:43:51 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
Why bother downloading the files from the website however when you are also downloading them to a folder via ccc?

Because I can :)
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 18:47:16 (permalink)
Ah of course makes total sense now... I hope you don't have 3G 
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 18:50:24 (permalink)
@Craig agree with everything you say just please get the installers right next time (and fix them), it's just a basic requirement ;). Three issues right now.

Gone!!
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 18:50:28 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
Ah of course makes total sense now... I hope you don't have 3G 

No, I have a fast connect and a 1 Terabyte Monthly data allowance, and I guess it's just one of my OCD behaviors, just the way I like to do it :)
Doktor Avalanche
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 18:55:49 (permalink)
Also Craig #23 - can you correct it please - not my quote :).
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 19:30:27 (permalink)
What I find worrying is that even if these are minor issues, they add monthly fuss. I can see why CW feels it's nice to work on a continually developing platform, but in the world of DAWs, updating is actually pretty risky business. Features may break, bugs may become exposed, workarounds fail to work. This isn't a smartphone game I'm updating whenever it says "update available". It is part of my core business.

Maybe I'm getting old. I do pretty well at getting around the computer but I want to spend more time making music and less updating stuff. Maybe I'll just skip updates until my year is up and then see if it's worth it. The fact that an update is available doesn't mean I have to do it, which is an important bit of information I tend to forget.
Anderton
Re: Can't pause this demon? More on the "Cakewalk Command Center" 2015/03/27 19:32:49 (permalink)
Doktor Avalanche
Also Craig #23 - can you correct it please - not my quote :).

Fixed. Please submit your resume for the open proofreader's pozition. I mean, position 

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1