PDC - Latency reporting per Plugin instance

Author
SilentMind
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50
2015/04/13 13:29:40 (permalink)
5 (6)

PDC - Latency reporting per Plugin instance

Following a brief thread in general... http://forum.cakewalk.com/PDC-How-to-assess-plugin-latency-m3204872.aspx

I request that each plugin instance report its operating latency via the UI. Ideally this would be in the plugin toolbar say next to the ACT button or somewhere easily accessible. Either .ms readings or samples would be good, both in a perfect world. Try using a PSP Audioware plugin and you'll see this data at the bottom of the plugin.

Prochannel Support - This could be tricky as I cant see anywhere to place readings that would not hinder legibility of the display. Perhaps at the bottom right of the inspector, next to "Display V"there could be a set of figures that show the latency of the entire prochannel strip, allowing users to add components separately to see corresponding latency figures.

Why ?

Could be handy for debugging purposes but my main reason is for solving a simple but common problem - which plugins can be used during live mixing / tracking without adding significant latency to the entire mix / path. This request would simply mean that engineers could add plugins quickly without having to consult manuals / websites in the middle of a session. In some cases plugins also have options to upsample or otherwise improve quality that impact on the latency figures, this change would allow users to make better decisions during live use.

2 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: PDC - Latency reporting per Plugin instance 2015/04/13 14:55:13 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    Tracktion does this especially well, so I'd look to that implementation for inspiration. They also include CPU usage for each plugin so you can quickly see who's eating your CPU cycles. Then they let you freeze those plugins right there from the report screen! Very cool.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re: PDC - Latency reporting per Plugin instance 2015/04/13 15:23:53 (permalink)
    I wouldn't mind that hovering mouse over an insert slot - and tooltip give you whatever now and also reported latency for that plugin. Then we need no fixed gui space for it.

Next step could be a track/project manager ala Reaper - which also nicely report current used latency in a column together with a bunch of other stuff - visible in mixer, track view etc.

What a treat that would be - now that we have Santa Cake coming all year round.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1