PDC - How to assess plugin latency ?

Author
SilentMind
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50
2015/04/10 12:14:11 (permalink)

PDC - How to assess plugin latency ?

Hi folks,

Found myself in what must be a familiar situation - building a project at the tracking stage and assembling a 'rough' mix to track to with simple effects (comps, reverbs etc...). Now the problem is that I am extremely sensitive to plugins that add significant latency so I'm wanting to set up a 'tracking' set of plugins for use on live inputs / tracks that I can use without pushing the latency to uncomfortable limits.

How do I find out the effective latency of a plugin within Sonar ? Comfortable with readings in ms. or samples. My PSP Audio plugins are much loved at the moment as they all report latency in their UI. Alas my IK and Waves plugs are more secretive about their inner workings. Sure I could skim read all of my plugin manuals but I guess this would be a tedious task and possibly prone to errors when certain features can extend latency (upsampling etc...). I'd appreciate a live reading if you see my meaning. No signs of this info in the plugin manager.

Need your wisdom my fellow musicake bakers!

14 Replies Related Threads

Kylotan
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 995
    Re: PDC - How to assess plugin latency ? 2015/04/10 13:51:00 (permalink)
    It can vary on the current settings inside the plugin, so I would expect it can only be calculated when Sonar begins playback. But I agree, this would be a very useful thing for Sonar to report. I'd vote for it.

In theory I would expect modulation, delay, gain, and saturation effects to have zero or near-zero latency, EQ to have moderate latency, and convolution effects (cab sims and reverbs) to typically have large latency - purely based on the sort of operations they need to perform. But so many effects these days are hybrids of the above that it's hard to be sure.

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: PDC - How to assess plugin latency ? 2015/04/11 05:16:26 (permalink)
     I'm wanting to set up a 'tracking' set of plugins for use on live inputs / tracks

You do realise that whatever plugins you use during tracking, they will not be applied to your tracks?

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: PDC - How to assess plugin latency ? 2015/04/11 05:30:37 (permalink)
    Waves publishes this in their manuals. Speaking very generally, compressors/limiters with look-ahead or automatic adaptive parameters (especially so called "transient designers"), linear phase EQs, and impulse based reverbs add significant latency.
    lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re: PDC - How to assess plugin latency ? 2015/04/11 05:39:36 (permalink)
    Sanderxpander
    Waves publishes this in their manuals. Speaking very generally, compressors/limiters with look-ahead or automatic adaptive parameters (especially so called "transient designers"), linear phase EQs, and impulse based reverbs add significant latency.

You only have to go to website for a plugin for Waves stuff.
    Tech Specs tab below - and then Latency tab.

Even for a bundle product you get a full list and sample rate.

Look at Gold bundle:
    http://www.waves.com/bundles/gold

I also vote for having a column somewhere for this.
    Kylotan
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 995
    Re: PDC - How to assess plugin latency ? 2015/04/11 06:37:45 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey
    You do realise that whatever plugins you use during tracking, they will not be applied to your tracks?

They will be applied to what you hear. eg. If you're recording into a guitar amp sim, you're listening to the effect of the plugin.

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
    pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: PDC - How to assess plugin latency ? 2015/04/11 09:03:19 (permalink)
    Kylotan
    Bristol_Jonesey

They will be applied to what you hear. eg. If you're recording into a guitar amp sim, you're listening to the effect of the plugin.

but not committed/applied to the recorded wav

just a sec

Billy Buck
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2101
    Re: PDC - How to assess plugin latency ? 2015/04/11 10:15:52 (permalink)
    SilentMind
    No signs of this info in the plugin manager.

Yes, per plug-in, per track and per project plug-in sample delay and CPU usage is something that I wish SONAR would report to the end user. Very useful info to know. You can always download and install REAPER and use it's dynamic "Performance Meter" & "Plugin Chainer" windows to get all the info you need. It only takes a few seconds to download and install with a 30 full use trial trial and then just a nag screen after that. When I want to test out new plug-ins, I always use REAPER first so I can get all of the nitty gritty details (sample delay, CPU usage, controls usage, etc). I find if it is stable and working in REAPER it will work in most any VST compatible app.

Cheers,

Billy Buck

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: PDC - How to assess plugin latency ? 2015/04/11 10:17:17 (permalink)
    pwalpwal
    Kylotan
    Bristol_Jonesey

but not committed/applied to the recorded wav

I'm pretty sure the OP knows this, and was just saying that he wants to identify which plugins he can use with the confidence that he won't encounter an latency problems while input monitoring his live performance during recording.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    SilentMind
    Re: PDC - How to assess plugin latency ? 2015/04/13 13:11:04 (permalink)
    Yeh that's right Brundle - just trying to get everything set-up so I can go wild n creative during tracking without finding any latency goblins that jolt me right out the zone (amazing how quick that happens with technology dont ya think ?).

Appreciate the tips. Will possibly use Reaper (installed for collaborative work) to do my workings out. Methinks a feature request for 'live' PDC readings within Sonar would be prudent at this point.

Cheers and back to the music-making!
    interpolated
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re: PDC - How to assess plugin latency ? 2015/04/13 13:19:59 (permalink)
    One trick is to add some empty bars at the start of your project, so it has time catch up with all your system.  It displays the roundtrip latency, under (P)references > Audio Driver.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
    SilentMind
    Re: PDC - How to assess plugin latency ? 2015/04/13 13:32:32 (permalink)
    Oh thats a neat one, makes sense and I had no idea...Could be useful for troubleshooting thats for sure.

Put up a feature req. thread http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3206064 Hopefully that works for anyone that agrees with the concept.

Workflow is a funny old thing, always these little niggles that trip me up the most.

Billy Buck
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2101
    Re: PDC - How to assess plugin latency ? 2015/04/13 14:47:43 (permalink)
    SilentMind
    Methinks a feature request for 'live' PDC readings within Sonar would be prudent at this point.

Yes, that would be a great feature in SONAR. In REAPER, instead of "live" it is referred to as "dynamic" PDC. Not only are the plug-in delay latency values view-able and updated on the fly during playback, but this dynamic aspect allows uninterrupted project playback as you add sample delay inducing plug-ins on the fly. In SONAR, this can cause a slight gap (glitch) in playback as SONAR resets it's PDC each time you add/delete a plug-in that has a sample delay. Although to Cakewalks credit, the latest versions of SONAR have improved so this gap/glitch is much less noticeable than it was years ago.

Cheers,

Billy Buck

Win 10 Pro x64 | i7 4770k | ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad w/ TB 2.0 | 16GB Corsair RAM | Apollo Twin Duo USB | UAD Satellite Octo USB | UAD-2 Quad + UAD-2 Solo PCIe | SONAR Platinum x64 | REAPER 5 x64| TranzPort

SilkTone
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1566
    Re: PDC - How to assess plugin latency ? 2015/04/13 16:20:19 (permalink)
    Billy Buck
    Yes, that would be a great feature in SONAR. In REAPER, instead of "live" it is referred to as "dynamic" PDC. Not only are the plug-in delay latency values view-able and updated on the fly during playback, but this dynamic aspect allows uninterrupted project playback as you add sample delay inducing plug-ins on the fly. In SONAR, this can cause a slight gap (glitch) in playback as SONAR resets it's PDC each time you add/delete a plug-in that has a sample delay. Although to Cakewalks credit, the latest versions of SONAR have improved so this gap/glitch is much less noticeable than it was years ago.

Cheers,

Billy Buck

Although in the case where there currently are no plugins adding delay, and you then add one that does add delay, I don't think you can get away without hearing some sort of glitch. Unless the host somehow does the transition by doing some fancy time stretching for a brief moment to smooth it out all other tracks, but that seems like overkill. It can hide the removal of a plugin by simply continuing to use the same delay until the next time you stop playback.

Alternatively another way can be if the host introduces some high-ish amount of delay upfront regardless of current plugins, so that any plugin added during playback won't require the overall project delay to be altered.

Windows 10 Pro x64, SONAR Platinum 64-bit
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB, ASRock Z97 Pro4, Haswell 4790k @ 4.4GHz
    32GB DDR3/1600, 500GB SSD (OS) + 256 GB SSD + 3TB MD
    NVIDIA GTX-1070, 40" 4K Monitor + 1 Monitor in ISO booth
    SilkTone
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1566
    Re: PDC - How to assess plugin latency ? 2016/05/06 17:49:53 (permalink)
    I know this is an older thread, but in case the OP missed my other thread, here is how you can now determine the latency that each plugin introduces.

Windows 10 Pro x64, SONAR Platinum 64-bit
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB, ASRock Z97 Pro4, Haswell 4790k @ 4.4GHz
    32GB DDR3/1600, 500GB SSD (OS) + 256 GB SSD + 3TB MD
    NVIDIA GTX-1070, 40" 4K Monitor + 1 Monitor in ISO booth
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1