Helpful ReplyLocked. .

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Fair-Pay For Musicians - Historic Victory :-) 2015/04/19 00:58:06 (permalink)
My main beef is when DJ's start talking over the guitar solo. Have you ever heard Sultans Of Swing on the radio? Infuriating! 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Fair-Pay For Musicians - Historic Victory :-) 2015/04/19 00:58:12 (permalink)
Why not? Cut to the chase. People want chorus.
Big epic chorus. 

They live for that moment where the 4 judges will turn - that's their cue that they're about to feel something. 

Just like the laugh track in TV shows let them know that they're supposed to laugh.

I hate shows like the Voice, can you tell?

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Fair-Pay For Musicians - Historic Victory :-) 2015/04/19 01:38:48 (permalink)
Have never watched the voice. The fact that the first winner was a guy who already had a decent recording career already made me look sideways. I saw an ad and realized i recognized him from various music videos that were in heavy rotation on VH1.
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Fair-Pay For Musicians - Historic Victory :-) 2015/04/19 02:23:56 (permalink)
dubdisciple
Have never watched the voice. The fact that the first winner was a guy who already had a decent recording career already made me look sideways. I saw an ad and realized i recognized him from various music videos that were in heavy rotation on VH1.

I sometimes have to suffer through parts of it because some of my wife's friend are on. Quebec is a tiny little market. 

People get mad when a so-called established singer participates. Last year, a very close friend of ours was on the show. She's worked w/ my wife in the past, doing musicals. So yes, she's a pro, but it's not like she can't do her grocery w/o people recognizing her, you know... She gives lessons and really struggles to make ends meet.

The truth of the matter is that in such a small market, no matter if you had a leading role in a musical, 99% of the time, you're just struggling to pay the rent.

People were brutal with her - I can't tell you how much hate. Directed towards such a sweet, sweet person. If I had had any faith in mankind, I would have lost it there and then. Just because they'd been told that she was a pro.

And that's the problem with those shows - they pump out new "stars" in a market that's already over-saturated. There is no market in Quebec. As a matter of fact, shows like The Voice have become people's source of music. They don't buy music they watch The Voice every sunday night, vote for the cute victim who's had a tough life, usually the youngest one... And then come next year, we go through a new batch.

As such, The Voice has become one of the only lucrative gig for many desperate so-called established singers. It gives them a few good months afterwards...

I guess things are different in the US, but I hate that it's become so omnipresent and part of our culture.
post edited by Rain - 2015/04/19 02:30:50

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Fair-Pay For Musicians - Historic Victory :-) 2015/04/19 02:45:02 (permalink)
The only reason I would ever watch one of these talent shows is for the bad auditions. Specifically, the ones who strut into the room, announce that they're the next big thing, demonstrate their complete and utter tone deafness and then explode in rage when the judges tell them they're awful. I know it's wrong but I find those hilarious. I like that compilations of the worst ones are available on YouTube so I don't have to sit through the actual show.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Fair-Pay For Musicians - Historic Victory :-) 2015/04/19 04:38:36 (permalink)
sharke
Another point is that if radio stations are forced to pay out more money, they'll get that money back somehow. Probably by cramming another ad into each commercial break 

I'm always surprised that people still listen to the radio. It just annoys the crap out of me. The DJ's are usually irritating in some way and I hate the silly voices they use for ads. 

I think you are probably right about the options available to broadcasters. While the effect of this bill on the cost of subscription internet services will probably be limited, since most will continue to make licensing contracts directly with the record companies, and are not currently getting free play anyway, the effect on over the air radio would possibly be much more dramatic. It is highly unlikely that radio stations can charge more for each ad without causing advertisers to flee. Most of us can barely tolerate commercial radio because of the intrusiveness of the advertising as it is, and more ads will cause listeners to bail out as well. A smaller audience will result in an even lower price for an advertising minute, and a death spiral will ensue, at least for music over the radio. But that is after all why they invented the MP3 player. Of course talk will remain cheap, and people seem to love hearing angry rants from ill informed commentators and callers as they drive to work, so the hit will probably be primarily to the FM music stations. The AM (angry moderator) cacophony will probably still do all right.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1