...Not really jazzed about Rapture Pro-What Am I missing?

Author
OldTimerNewComer
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 164
2015/05/08 03:22:51 (permalink)

...Not really jazzed about Rapture Pro-What Am I missing?

Am I missing some new functionality or workflow enhancements? Is it less buggy?
I'm usually an early upgrader and always buy full upgrade pkg. w/Sonar
but frankly I'm kind of nonplussed.

Not trolling, I love Sonar, just seems like  dim pro and rapture combined w/slightly better GUI and
apparently, after reading some posts possibly a resource hog.

Mel
P.S. just don't shoot me in the face.

Asus Sabertooth Z77. OCZ "Stealth" PSU 700w. 
Core i7 2600k @3.8 Ghz via XMP memory  setting.
AMD Radeon HD6450 CE 2GB DDR3 video.
Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz (32 Gig). 
Kingston 512 GB SSD(OS/Software).
WD 500 GB SATA(data) + 1 TB external.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40(FW)-v3.4.
Windows 10 Pro
Sonar Platinum Jamaica Plains Update

Ultimately YOU will be the hardest to convince that the Cake is done... Finish it.

My Stuff:
https://www.reverbnation.com/skeletonkrew9

14 Replies Related Threads

ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: ...Not really jazzed about Rapture Pro-What Am I missing? 2015/05/08 03:37:59 (permalink)
    I didn't jump at it myself. I purchased both the other synths and have a bunch of 3rd party stuff so I'm not really looking for more. I'll keep an eye on it, perhaps some killer libraries will be developed over time.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    subtlearts
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2200
    Re: ...Not really jazzed about Rapture Pro-What Am I missing? 2015/05/08 03:45:06 (permalink)
    So far, I think it shows great promise as what it was evidently intended as - an all-rounder, fire-this-up-first-and-it-will-likely-get-you-going-quickly kind of synth with a big library and a nicely designed interface that lets you use it how you want to - browsing presets, making quick tweaks and adjustments or going full deep dive. But it's held back from that, for me at least (and apparently others) by taking way, way too long to start up in the first place, and thus any project I use it in will take that long to load.

So since I was an early adopter on this one - I chose it over jumping on the intro price for Orbit, which I kind of regret now as I think I'd be getting more use out of the latter - I'm sure hoping they get that sorted out with a fix fairly quickly. The load time issue is pretty much a showstopper for me, and it's too bad as there is in fact a lot to like in there. But it needs some spit and polish for sure. 

tobias tinker 
    music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
    Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: ...Not really jazzed about Rapture Pro-What Am I missing? 2015/05/08 03:51:19 (permalink)
    I didn't really get on with Rapture, and wasn't that fussed about Dim Pro. I trying to learn them I thought I'd be better of focusing on one. Pulling up banks from Dim Pro in Rapture compounded this thought process and I ditched both.

I approve of the amalgamation and and with the intro price I thought I'd be kicking myself if I later went back to using it's predecessors, and I'm also waiting for FabFilter's twin to go on sale. I like a clavinet, not like I like rhodes, but I like em, and don't have a good source. Seeing that bundled in a full pack, was enough to make me go for it.

I'm glad I did, and quickly got over hurdles that I would have given up on before. I'm not that familiar as I said with the original, I think I never found it that intuitive. I don't really know what is so different, but I am finding it intuitive. Didn't take me long to get a patch up that responded nicely to my Midi sax. I'm not impressed with the Clavinet Programs, but the SFZ files for them seem good, and it's easy to get them going in a new program. I'm glad it's part of my arsenal (my other arsenal that is), and that I went for it. 

If you have the money, but can wait to use it, I'd invest and leave on your account until some of the issues are sorted out

subtlearts
    Re: ...Not really jazzed about Rapture Pro-What Am I missing? 2015/05/08 03:53:48 (permalink)
    Kamikaze, does it start up relatively quickly for you, or take a mysteriously long time to load?

tobias tinker 
    music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: ...Not really jazzed about Rapture Pro-What Am I missing? 2015/05/08 04:11:15 (permalink)
    BY start up do you mean, open a blank Rapture Pro session or one with something in it.
    I just tested on another thread because I'm not having much issue. A blank Rapture Pro, less than 2 seconds. Loading in a 1945MB program took a further 10 seconds off a standard 5400rpm laptop harddrive.
    post edited by Kamikaze - 2015/05/08 04:32:06

subtlearts
    Re: ...Not really jazzed about Rapture Pro-What Am I missing? 2015/05/08 04:16:39 (permalink)
    Hey, thanks. Saw your similar post and replied in another thread. I guess we don't need two saying the same things... maybe this one can be more about features and general worthwhile-ness or lack thereof. Again, with the exception of this issue it seems like a solid synth with lots of potential!

tobias tinker 
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: ...Not really jazzed about Rapture Pro-What Am I missing? 2015/05/08 06:54:33 (permalink)
    OldTimerNewComer

P.S. just don't shoot me in the face.

"Not in the face!"
    https://youtu.be/w9B_9YeVhsw?t=1m34s

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: ...Not really jazzed about Rapture Pro-What Am I missing? 2015/05/08 09:34:34 (permalink)
    RP has some issues, and Cakewalk is more than aware of them. If you're going from Rapture to Rapture Pro there's much less difference than going from Dimension Pro to Rapture Pro.

Rapture and Dim Pro were getting long in the tooth. I've had stability issues with Dimension Pro and I expect that at this point, they won't get fixed because they're too random. It looks to me like there were five main goals with RP:

1. Not have the artificial division between the two instruments.
    2. Update to a more modern code base.
    3. Not obsolete existing expansion packs so people could do everything with RP they did with Rapture and DP.
    4. Make it easier to use in live performance, or for "live in the studio" fans
    5. Provide a modern platform for future content.

Those all make sense, and I suspect when Cakewalk gets the tech issues sorted out, RP will be a "workhorse" kind of synth. I will say that playing with it has reminded me just how much good content there is between Rapture and Dim Pro.

The biggest roadblock may turn out to be finding out why performance varies so much according to different people. Some say it loads really fast, some say it's painfully slow. BobF's comment about how he sped up load times dramatically by excluding the content from his virus scanner goes to show that we'll probably have to figure out a new repertoire of system dos and don'ts for RP, just as we have to for SONAR and other Windows programs.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Doktor Avalanche
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4294
    Re: ...Not really jazzed about Rapture Pro-What Am I missing? 2015/05/08 09:43:19 (permalink)
    It was released too early. It probably needs another 3 months of service packs and then it will kick ass.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: ...Not really jazzed about Rapture Pro-What Am I missing? 2015/05/08 10:37:09 (permalink)
    It is a REPLACEMENT for DimPro and Rapture.  It allows you to add 2 elements to already complex DimPro programs

It ADDs new content.  Many synth companies spend most of their resources on content, since that is where the money is after the engine is finished.  Hopefully Cake will be providing "teasers" of new content they can then sale, rinse and repeat.  Evergreen the synth,  until Rapture SuperPro comes out.  At the very least Cake should have a site where users could upload sounds/patches.  That would keep interest up.

It ADDs performance tricks, esp. w/ pads and the vector pad.

Hopefully they'll keep refining the performance aspect - I'd love to see something similar to Alchemy's Remix pad.  Another nod to Alchemy is expanding the engine.  I'd love to see wavetable sequencing, along w/ the wavetables, added.  And control, such as using the mod wheel to sweep through the table (I love using the FIZMO wavetable knob for that). I'd love to see some kind of visual editor for SFZ that you could open from RaptPro (that could be a nice stand alone product, too, for all those who hate programming in text).

I'm hoping it follows the new SONAR parameters, with frequent updates to keep it current and in the public's eye.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    lawajava
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: ...Not really jazzed about Rapture Pro-What Am I missing? 2015/05/08 11:03:11 (permalink)
    Anderton
    2. Update to a more modern code base.
    3. Not obsolete existing expansion packs so people could do everything with RP they did with Rapture and DP.
    4. Make it easier to use in live performance, or for "live in the studio" fans
    5. Provide a modern platform for future content.

Thanks for the quick summary Craig. I'm on the fence until the early discount timeframe will expire. Then I'll have to decide. Certainly haven't been enthused from what samples I've heard so far. They were too outrageous.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re: ...Not really jazzed about Rapture Pro-What Am I missing? 2015/05/08 11:26:06 (permalink)
    Doktor Avalanche
    It was released too early. It probably needs another 3 months of service packs and then it will kick ass.

+1 Cake is really listening, taking in feedback.

Idea is really good.
    Dan_E10
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    Re: ...Not really jazzed about Rapture Pro-What Am I missing? 2015/05/08 15:22:54 (permalink)
    Anderton

I remember quite a few posts (like this one) on various forums when Rapture and Dimension Pro came out inquiring about the difference was between the two.  There definitely appeared to be a lot of overlap with Rapture offering more flexibility.  Having a single synth like Rapture Pro in the lineup makes a lot more sense to me.
    Dan
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: ...Not really jazzed about Rapture Pro-What Am I missing? 2015/05/09 08:19:05 (permalink)
    AT

I'd love to see some kind of visual editor for SFZ that you could open from RaptPro (that could be a nice stand alone product, too, for all those who hate programming in text).

@

I would pay for a program like this. Seriously. This would open this program wide open!

Very early on I had a audio interface (it was called a sound card back then!) called Turtle Beach Pinnacle. It had an on board Kurzweil M1 synth on it that was programmable. It wasn't hard to program, if you knew what you were doing. If you didn't know,.it was difficult.

Several people made editors for programming the on board synth and charged money for it. At first I resisted buying. I mean I could teach myself to do it for free! I ended up buying the most expensive editor for the synth because it was also the best. I never regretted the purchase.

Same here. If we had a sfz file creator program with drop down menu style choices, this would help the user base create our own programs to share with other users. I would pay for this.
    post edited by Grem - 2015/05/09 08:25:27

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1