Author
Vilovilo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 335
2015/05/11 16:58:45 (permalink)

Random thoughts concerning Rapture Pro.

Hi,
Not a real beginner but neither an expert,
I bought Rapture Pro because I don't think and also because I'm quite confident with Cakewalk's products and I'm on search for the magical synth which will offer me for 79 euros or so what I could get with Omnisphere and Kontakt ,so .... Miracles do not happen so often.
Once that is said I must admit I'm waiting for something with this Vst but it's not that clear in my musical mind😎.
Until now it does not work so nothing to say but I have zero doubts it will.
What am I waiting for?
I do like old Rapture and use it quite a lot,
Dpro ain't Kontakt but I also do use it(mainly with Dsf expansions like Yamaha piano and else)
Old pentagon and PSYN are great but it's coming tough to use them due to automations issues.
On third parties ,according to me Diva is just great and that's where I want to go,it's fun to play and that's what I'm waiting for,
a synth easy to load which responds efficiently to modwheel and with inspiring presets.
As I wrote it in the title theese are just random thoughts and I'm sure Rapture Pro will become a kind of go to once everything will be
in order, but an easier to use browser ,better in built modwheel assignations and a smooth operating should be great.
Thanks to the working team,
All the best,
Olivier
post edited by Vilovilo - 2015/05/11 17:12:01

9 Replies Related Threads

Vilovilo
    Re: Random thoughts concerning Rapture Pro. 2015/06/06 15:29:01 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Kind of chit ( answering to a personal thread.....) no worrys we are in the " selfy" world..
    I didn't download the upgrade yet but I ain't anymore in hurry after reading reactions from this forum members.
    Just to say that I'm confident in the fact that R pro will become one day a good synth but as far as it costs about eighty bucks I'm aware that I cannot ask him (her) to give me what Omnisphere could give me for more or less four hundred.
    By the way I will carry on following what is happening on Rapture Pro side but I'm in the mood to spare dollars( actually euros) to get me that " Holly graal" which Omnisphere seems to be.
    The fact is that the radio is playing tunes while I'm typing those lines and as far as I can trust my ears, synth ( soft or hard) are becoming as important in music as electric gitars did in the past so I do think that once someone dives info this business,it's important to be on par with what musicians are waiting for.
    Sorry for my english.
    Cheers to all.
    post edited by Vilovilo - 2015/06/06 15:53:07
    JBlongz
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Random thoughts concerning Rapture Pro. 2015/06/07 07:52:25 (permalink)

Doktor Avalanche
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4294
    Re: Random thoughts concerning Rapture Pro. 2015/06/07 10:08:36 (permalink)
    The update is worth installing regardless. It doesn't give any new issues.
    I think most of the sound levels have been normalised and most programs have been fixed at least, some people are clearly suffering specific issues which I cannot repro. Some people say it starts faster, others not.The big issue is stuck notes, it's better but still isn't fully fixed.

Vilovilo
    I didn't download the upgrade yet but I ain't anymore in hurry after reading reactions from this forum members.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
    arachnaut
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1168
    Re: Random thoughts concerning Rapture Pro. 2015/06/07 12:13:23 (permalink)
    At first I thought the update loaded faster, but now I see that it has not changed much.
    The long load occurs when the database gets built.
    It's in the Content folder, called "Rapture2Programs.xml". I have quite a few expansion packs, and it's about 5MB in size.

- Jim Hurley -
    SONAR Platinum - x64  - Windows 10 Pro 
    ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev 3.0;  Core i7-2600K@4.4GHz; 16 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X;
    GeForce GT 740; Saffire Pro14 MixControl 3.7; Axiom 61
    64-Bit audio, SR: 48kHz, ASIO 256 samples latency, Rec/Play I/O Buffers 512k, Total Round Trip Latency 13 ms, Pow-r 3 dither 
    Doktor Avalanche
    Re: Random thoughts concerning Rapture Pro. 2015/06/07 12:17:34 (permalink)
    Yup accounting for the very first initial start. Scanning every time isn't optimal IMHO, especially without a progress indicator.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.6,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),2 x 1TB SSD (Samsung EVO 850),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5. Rap Pro,Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1,Addictive Keys,Waves Silver,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist,Acronis True Image 2015.
    Vilovilo
    Re: Random thoughts concerning Rapture Pro. 2015/06/07 13:22:29 (permalink)
    Hi,
    Thanks for your answers.
    I will download the upgrade and the others which will certainly follow but I think it will take a little while to Rapture pro to achieve its maturity and maybe it is a normal process. I do like old Rapture but it had the time to grow and there is also the fact that I had time to know it.
    Just to say that I'm confident and the few trys I did with Rapture pro were quite satisfying.
    For example Yamaha piano from DSF seems to sound better with it than with Dpro ,and the controls are a little bit more intuitive also.
    Thank you for the link concerning Omnisphere,didn't have time to watch the video yet but I will soon.
    Cheers
    Olivier
    Gone!!
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 797
    Re: Random thoughts concerning Rapture Pro. 2015/06/07 16:45:34 (permalink)
    Doktor Avalanche

I think most of the sound levels have been normalised

Somewhat correct and somewhat incorrect, unless my ears deceive me, there are still wild variations in sound, and some are barely audible, certainly know where near the standard of sound level/normalization I have with other synths I own, which by the way work as advertised out of the box, no tinkering required.

I have a sneaky suspicion that some may not be playing as intended, ie like say one or more element of the sound is either not functioning, or not functioning correctly, hard to tell because we don't know what the creator had in mind, but . . . if some of them are as intended . . wtf. I have no faith that all the sounds are playing as intended.

Doktor Avalanche

and most programs have been fixed at least

Perhaps, none of the ones I had trouble with initially have changed any. Galbanum Piscis has been mentioned as a special case and is apparently being investigated further, and the other is Muz3um which I get a grand total of 0 to work. Everything was installed to default locations, except for Rapture Pro's multisamples so . . . Of course I didn't go through every preset, but enough of each expansion randomly to be happy within myself that the rest should be ok, the 2 packs that aren't didn't take long to find that out.

Doktor Avalanche

Some people say it starts faster, others not.

For me it's slower, much slower. I have posts from back closer to release stating starup times around 3 sec's for both standalone and within Sonar, now it can be anything up to a minute, but usually faster, but more often than not far slower than 3 sec's

Stuck notes, I never came across that particular issue.

Doktor Avalanche

it's better but still isn't fully fixed.

No consolation to a lot of people from what I read, and certainly not to me. The update didn't appear to do anything for me, the sounds that didn't work still don't, there is still wild variations in the output levels of the presets, some still barely audible, and I do mean barely, start up time has taken a backwards step. Basically it is nowhere near the standard of other synths I own, and I am not talking about quality of sound/presets, just general out of the box install and it works as advertised, no tinkering required.

I'm just glad to still have Dimension Pro and Rapture and still have access to all my expansions (Z3TA+2 as well, plus my other 3rd party synths). I guess it will get there one day, but maybe for a lot of people that day will be to late.

post edited by jih64 - 2015/06/07 17:48:50
    Doktor Avalanche
    Re: Random thoughts concerning Rapture Pro. 2015/06/07 17:05:11 (permalink)
    Well I was only trying my best to find something positive out of the situation .

"Incorrect" I think is a rather black and white way of looking at it, I think many of the sounds have been fixed, and clearly many of them haven't, I won't disagree with you, like this...
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/RapPro-AcousticImpressions-Element-Volumes-out-of-Whack-m3235146.aspx

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Rapture-Pro-Hardgroove-Steinberger-m3235517.aspx

Stuck notes issue have been repro'd on DAW's outside Sonar:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3235456

As far as RapPro load times, try a VST RESET and then a rescan (not just a rescan!), then check on second load, there has been some positive feedback in doing this (even standalone for some reason I can't understand):
    https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013315/SONAR-X3-Full-VST-Rescan-Recommended-for-Upgraders

I don't think you can say things are any worse, but I agree things right now are of a poor standard. It's not that Cakewalk aren't capable either, RP and say the Drum Replacer are miles apart when it comes to quality .
    post edited by Doktor Avalanche - 2015/06/07 17:17:09

Gone!!
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 797
    Re: Random thoughts concerning Rapture Pro. 2015/06/07 17:42:27 (permalink)
    Yes, 'incorrect' may have been a bit strong, or as you say 'black and white', I was actually thinking about that as I typed it, because I am not 100% sure that there may have been changes, just that I still experienced issues, I will adjust that. 

It's just a bit disheartening really, it's been a long time since I have experienced this level of disappointment, frustration in something I was looking forward to, not since way back in my gaming days.

I wouldn't have minded, actually preferred in hindsight, as I have stated elsewhere, that Rapture Pro had no backwards compatibility with Rapture and Dim Pro, but then I guess there would still be the issues with it's factory content and the other problems, it's just hard to see how some of this stuff could be missed, it's a bit like producing and releasing a CD only to find that track 4 is silent, hard to imagine how it can happen because on the face of it it seems so obvious, but then I have no idea about the ins and outs of software development, I certainly couldn't do any better.

I'm a it either works or it doesn't type person, and if it doesn't, in the bin it goes. I just hate having something that doesn't work properly, I don't dig to deep with synths, just the basics, so even if there are bugs, usually I don't see them, so to me it works perfectly, but with Rapture Pro the bugs are just there staring me in the face, and I guess that OCD inside me just keeps those bugs at the forefront, therefore I wont use it lol

Oh, yeah, I already done the reset.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1