Helpful ReplyThe New Notation Fixes Thread!

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
jsg
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1079
2015/06/28 22:53:20 (permalink)

The New Notation Fixes Thread!

Now that Sonar developers have shown us they can and will fix staff view bugs, I think we can safely dismiss the attitude that they don't care or don't have the expertise to do so.  Any group of developers who've created Sonar Platinum have proven their expertise many times to this composer, I have no doubt if the will and funding is there, Sonar's staff view can be improved.   What I hope for, as I've mentioned before, is to consider this:  The staff view is primarily a MIDI editor, it is not an aspect of the program designed to create finished, publish-quality scores.  Parts? OK...   Lead sheets?  Sure!   Sketches for band members?  That too!  Advances in music notation, publishing and print quality are such that notation on the level of a fully professional score is primarily a graphics issue, and a DAW is primarily a piece of software that works in the medium of sound.  I know some people want a "jack-of-all-trades" piece of software, and to a degree, all DAWS are already adaptable to a wide range of purposes.   But really, most people understand the value of specialized software that does one or two things very well--which is why some music publishers still use SCORE, by Leland Smith (I used it for 10 years).   This program was pre-Windows and did (does) one thing and one thing only:  Output gorgeous and accurate scores. 

None of the DAW notation editors are as powerful as Sibelius or SCORE, nor do they need to be.  For those who are new, Sibelius isn't a DAW, it's not a music production tool, it is a graphics tool designed with the final purpose being the creation of fully realized music notation.

What Sonar's notation can use in my opinion are really only three things:

1. Bring the note resolution down to 64th notes.   That includes 32nd and 64th note triplets.
2. Fix the dotted, tied and nested triplet issue (all triplets) so that they conform to SMN (standard music notation)
3. Change the way dotted notes are displayed:  The dot should never be on a staff line, instead always above the line the note is on, based on SMN rules. 

That's it.  

If Cakewalk does this, Sonar's staff view will be equal to any DAWs MIDI editor.  It can already handle mixed meters, changing meters and fractional tempos, AND, Sonar has the added value of having tabs with multiple staff views visible, and a staff view that doesn't emulate a page of printed music, but rather a score running across the entire width of the screen.  I hope Sonar's developers understand what a great help that is to composers. Also, cutting and pasting section in Sonar's notation is easy, once you get the hang of it.  As a tip, with the new Sonar Control Bar, here's how I set up the custom module:

Save                 Copy                                      Cut
Paste                Paste To: (paste special)      Undo
Redo                 History                                  Fit Tracks  (Resize and zoom)

Sonar's market:

songwriters
composers
film composers
game composers
TV composers
arrangers
orchestrators
educators and instructors
house of worship music services

All of the above make frequent use of music notation.  And these people:

sound designers
sound engineers
mixing engineers
live sound people
musicians who don't read or write SMN
amateurs who just like to fool around with the software

will also have a first class DAW in audio and plug-in usage and flexibility, which Sonar amply and competently demonstrates.

That's my opinion based on writing music in Sonar since 1991. 

Jerry
http://www.jerrygerber.com

post edited by jsg - 2015/07/01 18:15:24
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/28 23:10:45 (permalink)
Great post, Jerry. I would only add that the printing function should be able to organize a score, so that the first page shows the entire orchestra, and subsequent pages only have the instruments actually playing. (I am using 8.5; perhaps later versions have this - if so, disregard). This eliminates endless pages with mostly empty space!

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

jsg
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/28 23:16:47 (permalink)
michael diemer
Great post, Jerry. I would only add that the printing function should be able to organize a score, so that the first page shows the entire orchestra, and subsequent pages only have the instruments actually playing. (I am using 8.5; perhaps later versions have this - if so, disregard). This eliminates endless pages with mostly empty space!

Michael, why not use Sibelius, Score or Finale or Notion or some other program designed not as a DAW but as notation program instead for that?   Software already exists that has the notational sophistication you are seeking.   I still believe that notation's role in MIDI input and editing is really what a DAW is about, and what the original creators of Sonar intended. 
post edited by jsg - 2015/06/28 23:25:26
BRuys
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 192
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/28 23:19:27 (permalink)
Wow,

I have to applaud Jerry for a very well presented case combined with a very reasonable attitude.  I have seen a lot of heated discussions over the Staff View, but this is a clear and concise request that even I (being a drummer who hasn't worked with notation in years), can see the value in.

Nice job Jerry - I hope you get some traction with this post.  I think you have a very balanced and reasonable case here.

Bill.
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/28 23:44:53 (permalink)
Jerry, I will be doing just that. My plan is to export my projects into MuseScore and edit them further there. For years I have been making two versions of my works, a sound version and a print version. The latter is cleaned up as much as possible. I used to print them out and then do the rest by hand! (I have literally cut-and-pasted). So exporting into notation software will be (hopefully) an improvement. I don't need anything high-falutin as I'm a hobbyist, so something like MuseScore should be fine.
post edited by michael diemer - 2015/06/28 23:51:56

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/28 23:50:03 (permalink)
Very helpful, Jerry...not that I'm surprised. I'll do what I can to bring those three things to the surface.

Your patience and gracious attitude is much appreciated.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/28 23:55:39 (permalink)
Thanks Jerry. That's a great post.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/29 00:39:55 (permalink)
Many users have asked for the notes options to be returned to the Staff view, as it used to be. I know you have set up short cuts, and prefer that way. So why not have it as an option, something you can hide if you don't need. 

I also like the idea of dragging out the note length, rather than pre selecting it. Be it whilst holding CTRL or shift or something or a right click hold option or something. This seems far more intuitive to me.

jsg
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/29 02:50:33 (permalink)
Kamikaze
Many users have asked for the notes options to be returned to the Staff view, as it used to be. I know you have set up short cuts, and prefer that way. So why not have it as an option, something you can hide if you don't need. 

I also like the idea of dragging out the note length, rather than pre selecting it. Be it whilst holding CTRL or shift or something or a right click hold option or something. This seems far more intuitive to me.

Digital Performer has two notation editors, one allows only one staff at a time, the other is Quickscribe.  The one that only allows one staff can do what you're suggesting, one enters a note by dragging its length.  Unfortunately, once the note is entered, you can't change it by dragging.  I think it's a bug, because the DP manual says you can do it, but I couldn't get it to work. 

I used Sonar for many years when the note icons were in the staff view.  Given that I am your normal cranky nerd who doesn't like when things change, I was annoyed too when the note icons disappeared.   But I really urge you to try keybinding because it really is just as fast or faster as using note icons (depending upon whether you bind with one key or two, such as CTRL or ALT + a key).  

Jerry

post edited by jsg - 2015/06/29 03:04:44
lfm
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2216
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/29 03:17:40 (permalink)
You come in contact with music i various ways
1. listening on the radio or your pod or smartphone
2. buy albums etc
3. to sing or play an instrument - and there it is - notation

So notation a natural part of doing anything proactive regarding music - and needs more attention...
OldTimerNewComer
  • Total Posts : 164
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/29 03:54:19 (permalink)
I Believe that what drives a developer to "IMPROVE" a feature is the same as
always... profit, and the averages of all the reasons the largest market share target
purchases a DAW for;

I don't think notation will ever be high enough on that list to make a critical difference
to the Bakers, as long as better and more nominally priced apps exist 3rd party.

jm2c
Mel

Asus Sabertooth Z77. OCZ "Stealth" PSU 700w. 
Core i7 2600k @3.8 Ghz via XMP memory  setting.
AMD Radeon HD6450 CE 2GB DDR3 video.
Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz (32 Gig). 
Kingston 512 GB SSD(OS/Software).
WD 500 GB SATA(data) + 1 TB external.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40(FW)-v3.4.
Windows 10 Pro
Sonar Platinum Jamaica Plains Update

Ultimately YOU will be the hardest to convince that the Cake is done... Finish it.

My Stuff:
https://www.reverbnation.com/skeletonkrew9

Tom Riggs
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1752
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/29 04:48:56 (permalink)
Perhaps but at least they are asking for direction from the users.

i7-3770k OC at 4.5Ghz, asus p8z77-m, 16g g.skill aries 1600 c9 ram, Noctua d-14 cooler, RME HDSPe Raydat, Motu FastLane, Nvidea GTX 980 ti 6G, windows 7 and 8.1 pro x64. Sonar Platinum and x3e currently installed

My Music 
My YouTube

Kamikaze
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/29 04:57:46 (permalink)
I can see the advantage of keybindings Jerry, but it seems the easiest fix of all, to a return a function to where it was. The fact it prompted you to look into keybindings shows that removing the function made the program less usable instead of more. Probably moved for the sake of aesthetics, and not practicality. Making it hide-able would would simply please both camps.  

Elffin
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1196
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/29 05:05:07 (permalink)
Note icons are defnitley..... eights and quarter notes are additional hassle to explain since I already teach in Welsh and their traditional european note names "quavers".

In education, lack of note icons is a hindrance and additional barrier to actually learning.
Sidroe
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1954
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/29 08:45:39 (permalink)
The thread I started on notation fixes is still going strong at 24 pages!  I am so glad to see even more support for this much needed feature getting pounded in to shape! Please, bakers! Are you watching?

Sonar Platinum, Sonar X3e, Sonar X2a , Sonar X1 Expanded and 8.5.3 (32 and 64 bit), Windows 10 on a Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop with i7 @ 2.4 quad and 8 gigs of RAM and secondary WD 1 Tb drive, Windows 10 desktop, Asus i5 @ 3.2 quad, 12 gigs RAM, 1 Tb drive, 1 500 gig drive, MOTU 24io, 2 Roland Studio Captures, Saffire 6 USB for laptop, Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 mixer, Alesis Monitor 2s, Event BAS 20/20s, Roland Micro-Monitor BA-8s, and 45 years worth of collecting FX, Mics, Amps, Guitars, and Keyboards!
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/29 10:32:15 (permalink)
Sidroe
The thread I started on notation fixes is still going strong at 24 pages!  I am so glad to see even more support for this much needed feature getting pounded in to shape! Please, bakers! Are you watching?

Of course they are - that's why there have been staff view fixes in the past several releases and more are upcoming. However, note that the number of unique people in that thread does not account for 24 pages...a lot of it is multiple posts by the same people saying the same thing, e.g., one guy alone accounts for 40 posts in that thread.

The reality is that the call for staff view improvements remains the province of a vocal minority, BUT the important takeaway is that Cakewalk is taking that vocal minority seriously and slowly but surely, is making fixes...just as Bill Jackson said would happen in that thread. The monthly release schedule is directly responsible for these improvements as they can be whittled away one at a time instead of blocking out the time needed to fix them all as a group.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Kamikaze
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/29 10:46:29 (permalink)
I counted around 150 posters interested in fixes going back a few years across about 5 threads. I don't recall 150 posters showing interest in anything else. There were about large number of posters at the beginning of the Sid's thread, of course there will also be posters reading that thread that didn't comment as well.

So if people post they are called vocal if they don't then they don't exist. Seems you can't count either way then! 

All while cakewalk boasts about it's 'great notation' resources in it's advertising.
post edited by Kamikaze - 2015/06/29 10:54:10

Jimbo 88
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1828
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/29 11:14:42 (permalink)
I vote Jerry for President of the World....

But seriously,

1) Someone finding away for DAWs to better interact with notation programs would be awesome.
2) Tuplets would be nice
3) Someone posted a graphic of Piano View that swapped piano notes with staves that was genius...Now that would seem to solve many, many issues.  I personally would not need staff view to have higher resolution if this happened.  

Cakewalk By Bandlab
Cubase 9.5 Pro
Windows 7 64 Bit   Core i7-8700   32 Gig Ram 3.20ghz  
RME Fireface 400 Audio Card
Behringer FCA 1616
Sweetwater Creation Station

wizard71
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 836
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/29 12:02:30 (permalink)
^3.... Love this idea!

http://www.youtube.com/SpaceTimeAces
https://soundcloud.com/space-time-aces
Sonar Platinum - Win 8.1 x64 - Haswell 4770k - ASrock Z87 pro3 - 32gb ram - Fractal design R4 case - 3x HDD 1 USB 2.0 external 1x cr M4 ssd for samples - Octa-capture - Sontronics Aria - Sontronics STC-1s - BX8 monitors - ARC 2 system - Kawai CA63 piano - Kawai MP6 Stage piano - Fender custom Telecaster FMT - Yamaha LL6 - Fender P bass

pbognar
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/29 12:04:01 (permalink)
jsg

1. Bring the note resolution down to 64th notes.   That includes 32nd and 64th note triplets.
2. Fix the dotted and tied triplet issue (all triplets) so that tied and dotted notes conform to SMN (standard music notation)
3. Change the way dotted notes are displayed:  The dot should never be on a staff line, instead always above the line the note is on, based on SMN rules. 

That's it.  

I like it.  Leave the graphics out for now.

But, with regard to triplets, are we still in agreement that we would like to see limitation of complete groups of three notes per triplet group eliminated?  If so, Jerry, can you edit your original post in the thread to reflect that?

Thanks
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/29 12:04:05 (permalink)
OldTimerNewComer
I Believe that what drives a developer to "IMPROVE" a feature is the same as
always... profit, and the averages of all the reasons the largest market share target
purchases a DAW for;

I don't think notation will ever be high enough on that list to make a critical difference
to the Bakers, as long as better and more nominally priced apps exist 3rd party.

jm2c
Mel

Google is full of people who dropped Sonar because of notation. I do believe the author of this thread started to use MOTU DP and came back.
 An end user wants some efficiency in DAW notation and if it is to performed by other musicians it transferred to a notation app. 
jsg
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/29 12:23:49 (permalink)
pbognar
jsg

2. Fix the dotted and tied triplet issue (all triplets) so that tied and dotted notes conform to SMN (standard music notation)

That's it.  

I like it.  Leave the graphics out for now.

But, with regard to triplets, are we still in agreement that we would like to see limitation of complete groups of three notes per triplet group eliminated?  If so, Jerry, can you edit your original post in the thread to reflect that?

Thanks

Yeah, I agree, I thought I covered that with the tied and dotted triplets, but you're right, if you have 3 eighth note triplets, and you remove the middle one, Sonar won't display it properly, even if not tied or dotted.  This should be fixed as well.  I think if the developers choose to fix all the triplet issues, that will also get repaired.

Jerry

ptheisen
  • Total Posts : 173
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/29 14:22:57 (permalink)
I'd like to thank Jerry for all of his contributions over the years in general, and this latest thread in particular.

I'd also like to say +1 to Kamikaze's post. I was thinking exactly the same thing as Kamikaze posted when I was reading Craig's post. Craig, I have the utmost respect for you, as well. But Cakewalk needs to know that while I am not a vocal member of the forum, I am a regular user of Sonar, I've purchased almost every upgrade since Pro Audio 5, and I use the staff view! That's why I posted in Sid's thread early on (thanks to you too, Sid) and now in Jerry's latest thread. I'd like to think that I count, and that there are many more people like me that also count.
jatoth
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 363
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/29 16:25:40 (permalink)
Do any of the current staff view fixes (4) address long standing bugs, or are they just fixes to the UI that were introduced with the X series? I could be wrong, but I don't see any bug fixes to the "core" yet.
Hope springs eternal.

John

X3e Producer, Sonar Platinum, Sweetwater CreationStation i5 3.1gHz, 12 GB RAM, 500GB SSD OS drive, 1TB SSD audio drive, 1TB archive/misc drive, dual 22" monitors, Windows 7x64, SaffirePro40 (firewire), MOTU MIDI Express XT, Behringer BCF2000, dbx 586, Samson Servo 120a, Yamaha HS80M, Auratone 5c Cubes, Sennheiser HD650, Sony MDR 7509HD, Sony MDR 7506, Kurzweil K2500XS, Roland XP-30, Proteus 2000.
jsg
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/29 16:30:19 (permalink)
jatoth
Do any of the current staff view fixes (4) address long standing bugs, or are they just fixes to the UI that were introduced with the X series? I could be wrong, but I don't see any bug fixes to the "core" yet.
Hope springs eternal.

Mostly fixes since X1. 

1. Snap function fixed
2. Order of tracks in track pane when switching screensets fixed
3. Order of tracks in track pane when opening file fixed
4. Easier to click on notes on ledger lines to bring up note properties (still not perfect, but definitely better)

But several improvements over the Pre X days:
1.  Dark track pane easier to see
2.  Tabs--locked tabs are great for setting up multiple staff views.  Didn't exist before X1

noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/29 21:57:47 (permalink)
I remember posting many years ago that the chances of any staff view improvements getting any traction by the bakers depends a lot on whether the Sonar Staff view users can offer up any concrete examples of what they actually want improved. It's a staff view, it plays back the notes . . . so what else should there be ?

Jerry has given some very compelling details here about what he would like to see, and it sounds like he's customized his workflow with many keyboard shortcuts.

For me, it's all about midi editing in staff view. I want to be able to quickly draw ideas, by clicking and dragging my mouse, I want more powerful shortcuts that save time. Sure, I can do some of that in Piano Roll View, but it doesn't make any visual sense to my way of doing things until I check it in Staff View.

I really like kamikaze's point about being able to drag out the note lengths.

Anything that saves editing one note at a time is useful time saver.

Panup's Duckbar utility brings back the note duration editing tool that disappeared from Cakewalk staff view years ago, and I'm still wondering why Sonar can't get this going again ?

And what's with the #'s and b's . .  today I'm editing in the key of A major, and  I can't add C# . . I'm stuck with Db ?

I'm continually moving between Staff and PRV in a midi editing session, and I've found a very quick way to go back and forth (Hold Ctrl-Shift - - - then left + right arrow keys while in multi-dock) so I guess that's what Cakewalk has in mind for midi editing workflow . . . more weighted to the PRV editing, and that's why the recent improvements are mostly there. The new paint roller tool is brilliant, wish it was available in staff view.

I'll be interested to see if any Staff view improvements make it into the program in the next few months, since there seems to be a bit of noise about this from the staff "vocal minority"

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

jsg
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/30 00:15:09 (permalink)
noynekker

And what's with the #'s and b's . .  today I'm editing in the key of A major, and  I can't add C# . . I'm stuck with Db ?

That doesn't sound right.  If you choose A major as the key (3 sharps) Sonar knows and when you insert a C it will be C-sharp automatically.  If you want it to be d-flat, , or c-natural, click on note properties and change it, or, go to interpolate if you want to change all c#s to D-flats.  Same if you don't specify a key signature, it might be C major but it could be 12-tone, chromatic, modal or some other keynote that has the tonal gravity.  In that case though it's the same, You can change any note into its enharmonic equivalent through properties or interpolate.

You can also change a note, such as a-natural to b-flat by clicking on both mouse buttons while dragging the note, using either the draw or select tool.

JG

post edited by jsg - 2015/06/30 00:28:06
FZ1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/30 02:25:58 (permalink)
I think Cakewalk should pay more attention to these issues. Sonar is my main tool, but I was at the point of abandoning it a couple of years ago. It was only the addition of xml export in the print view that has kept it viable as my main DAW.
The competitor that Cake should be worried about is Presonus. As I see it its only a matter of time before the Integration between Notion and Studio One will make it impossible to resist for those users who need notation

Fz1
Kamikaze
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/30 02:34:09 (permalink)
noynekker

I really like kamikaze's point about being able to drag out the note lengths.

Thanks, but Cityrat takes credit for finding that Gif file of drawing out not lengths. I just also think it's a great idea and think Staff View should act a bot more like PRV in that we draw and edit notes out and in, rather than drop them in.

cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: The New Notation Fixes Thread! 2015/06/30 10:21:20 (permalink)
FZ1
As I see it its only a matter of time before the Integration between Notion and Studio One will make it impossible to resist for those users who need notation

Presonus soon. Steinberg in maybe 3 years, and maybe Avid after that, but they are probably even more concentrated on the production world than Cakewalk is.

For people who work heavily with one of the major notation products (Finale, Sibelius, notion, etc), the issue is all about productivity.  Yes, we could use the notation in Sonar, but why would we want to do that?  It is only 5% of what we expect in our final published product..

Yes, we can import as MIDI but that is a one-time, one-way thing and frankly a real PITA.  What we need is more active integration that allows us to continue to make changes in the notated score and have those automatically reflected in our DAW realization.  It is a work flow thing. 

What we have is a catch-22.  Cakewalk doesn't see that as a priority because they think few people are doing this.  But few people are doing this because it is such a PITA.  When a company, maybe Presonus, makes it easier, you will probably see a lot of people choosing to work this way.

Let me put it another way.  In my circle of musician friends, there are 10 people frequently using notation programs for every one that regularly uses a DAW.  That may not be indicative of the market as a whole, but there are a lot of people using notation programs, and some percent of them would find it really cool to be able to easily render (and fine tune) their works in a DAW.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1