Significant performance problems since newburyport

Author
AllanH
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
2016/02/29 23:06:29 (permalink)

Significant performance problems since newburyport

I'm not sure if the following is related my recent upgrade to "Newburyport": Pretty much all projects now have significant pops, crackles, and I constantly get "Audio Dropout - the Audio Engine has been stopped unexpectedly". I have to reset the audio engine but upon resuming playback it promptly locks up again.

It also seems like the "resting" CPU utilization is far higher than before.

I believe this to be "new", as projects that worked fine "as is" on prior releases seem to exhibit the issue.

So I've resorted to bouncing the majority of my busses, which I've never had to do before.

Q: have anyone else seen something like this?

I'd like to troubleshoot a bit before submitting a bug report.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Allan

Sonar Platinum, EWHO/D, Spitfire, Miroslav, Pianoteq, ....,  Kurzweil.

19 Replies Related Threads

promidi
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1220
    Re: Significant performance problems since newburyport 2016/02/29 23:49:24 (permalink)
    AllanH
    I'm not sure if the following is related my recent upgrade to "Newburyport": Pretty much all projects now have significant pops, crackles, and I constantly get "Audio Dropout - the Audio Engine has been stopped unexpectedly". I have to reset the audio engine but upon resuming playback it promptly locks up again.

It also seems like the "resting" CPU utilization is far higher than before.

I believe this to be "new", as projects that worked fine "as is" on prior releases seem to exhibit the issue.

So I've resorted to bouncing the majority of my busses, which I've never had to do before.

Q: have anyone else seen something like this?

I'd like to troubleshoot a bit before submitting a bug report.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Allan

A few things to start troubleshooting:

Have you rolled back to Manchester to make sure "Newburyport" is the actual cause? 

When you say "I have to reset the audio engine" , is that by that exiting Sonar, renaming your AUD.ini file and restarting sonar? 

Have you confirmed you have the latest drivers for your audio interface and other hardware (including video card)?

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
    PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
    CPU: i5 4670. 
    Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
    Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
    : Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
    ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
    Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
    brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: Significant performance problems since newburyport 2016/03/01 02:15:54 (permalink)
    Check your DPC latency. I'm guessing WiFi drivers got enabled or some other process/driver has increased it.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    jshep0102
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re: Significant performance problems since newburyport 2016/03/01 09:20:37 (permalink)
    I'm having the same issue. This is a pic of my system idling at 1024. I just updated to the rig signature less than a month ago. I was under the thought that this system would run full mixes with soft synths running and a mess of plugs at 32/64 samples. Not even close. This was a update from a P8P67 3.11 mobo and 1155 socket. I have to disable all plugins to get it to run at 64 samples, which is the lowest in Twin USB's console 2. I've been trying to the point of exhaustion to figure out why it's no better than my old system whatsoever. After spending $600 and pick up the Twin USB to do it.

There are so many processes running, and I have no clue what most of them are. I don't use wifi, so that's 'one down' - out of 61! How do I find out what processes should be turned off for audio applications in Win 10?

SHEP-ASRock Z97 Pro4 - i7 4790K 4.0ghz - 16 GB DDR3 - Windows 10 Home - Apollo Twin USB Duo - UAD2 Duo - Digimax FS - Focal CMS50 - Raven MTi2 - Slate VMS 1 - Bluebird - Yamaha MOXF8 - Axe Fx Ultra - SPLAT 2017.2
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Significant performance problems since newburyport 2016/03/01 09:25:27 (permalink)
    I had a similar situation occur at one point - projects which had worked fine started having dropouts. When I got a toast notification for dropouts, I clicked on its Help button and went through each suggested option. What solved it was increasing the cache parameters under Preferences > Audio > Sync and Caching. I suspect the default might have been reset after an update.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    brundlefly
    Re: Significant performance problems since newburyport 2016/03/01 09:43:07 (permalink)
    jshep0102
    I just updated to the rig signature less than a month ago.

Same advice; check your DPC Latency:

http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

If its not high/spiking, then other processes/drivers are not the issue. If it is high, it could be motherboard drivers as well as other hardware. If the board has WiFi and/or Bluetooth, you'll want to turn those off in BIOS.

And, of course, make sure your CPU is running at full and fixed speed. Disable Speed Step, C-States and Turbo Boost in BIOS, and set a the High Performance power management profile in Windows. Then go to Task Manager > Performance > Resource monitor, to verify your CPU is running at 4.0GHz, and no cores are parked.

Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    jshep0102
    Re: Significant performance problems since newburyport 2016/03/01 10:09:51 (permalink)
    Seeing this DPC, I'm more concerned at this point about why the inability for me to playback at anywhere near 64 or even 128 samples. Here's the DPC view after 3:30 of a 4 minute project:

SHEP-ASRock Z97 Pro4 - i7 4790K 4.0ghz - 16 GB DDR3 - Windows 10 Home - Apollo Twin USB Duo - UAD2 Duo - Digimax FS - Focal CMS50 - Raven MTi2 - Slate VMS 1 - Bluebird - Yamaha MOXF8 - Axe Fx Ultra - SPLAT 2017.2
    djtrailmixxx
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re: Significant performance problems since newburyport 2016/03/01 10:20:29 (permalink)
    I had similar issues after upgrading to windows 10. My motherboard uses an Intel NIC chipset. I cant remember which it was, but after the update I either had to Install the full driver, or uninstall it and revert to the MS provided driver to stop dropouts and pops/clicks. I wish I could offer more assistance, but this is all I can recall atm.

Sonar Platinum X64 - Win 10 x64 - Intel SB-E 3930 - Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 - 16GB DDR3 - AMD R290X - 4x 1TB SSD RAID 0 (Sys and Data partitions) - 2x UAD2 Quad - 1x UAD2 Octo - UAD Apollo Dual
    jshep0102
    Re: Significant performance problems since newburyport 2016/03/01 10:31:23 (permalink)
    Oddly, though I don't know pertinent, LatencyMon reports me as using Windows 8. I have the current version running I d/l'd today. Is this what you mean when you wonder if all my cores are running? I think all 4 are, but the virtual ones don't act the same by this info. But I don't understand this stuff well, so I apologize if I am off base.

pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Significant performance problems since newburyport 2016/03/01 12:25:44 (permalink)
    if you google that worst driver there's plenty of info https://www.google.co.uk/#q=wdf01000.sys+latency

just a sec

brundlefly
    Re: Significant performance problems since newburyport 2016/03/01 12:33:57 (permalink)
    I'm no LatencyMon expert, either, but that seems fine. Did you check CPU speed in Resource Monitor? When I first fired up my new machine Speedstep/Windows was running the CPU at less than 1GHz.

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Significant performance problems since newburyport 2016/03/01 15:18:39 (permalink)
    Yeah, wdf01000.sys is the "auto-detect" functionality of a wi-fi adapter (pings like every 4 seconds), and EVERY computer user - DAW or not - should highly consider disabling that guy. (It should have been named "WTF01000.sys" for DAW users!).

Please see this post - the first link in there tells you how to nuke that one.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    AllanH
    Re: Significant performance problems since newburyport 2016/03/01 23:07:17 (permalink)
    Thank you for all the thoughtful advice. I found one strange issue related to power-settings that I thought I'd share:

I first checked the event logs (and cleared them just in case), all drivers, made sure the Microsoft Defender was leaving my folders alone, no indexing, etc. Then I confirmed that my power settings were set to "maximum performance". I rebooted and intended to check BIOS. Interestingly, I got a BIOS warning that my computer was booting from Hibernation (even though Hibernation was selected as OFF in Control Panel). I left the BIOS alone and booted into Windows. Confirmed that my power settings were indeed "maximum". I deleted the power profile and recreated it as "maximum performance". I again confirmed that Hibernation was off, rebooted and could confirm the BIOS without the warning. So I'm now pretty sure that something related to power settings had activated Hibernation even though it was off in Control Panel. I've never seen that problem before, but worth noticing.

I do not have WiFI, but even turning off Ethernet (Intel PCIe Gig) made no difference. LatencyMon did not reveal anything to me and seems to indicate that my system is capable of Realtime audio.

I also tried creating a bundle (.cwb) and restore from that - no difference.
    I tried increasing my ASIO buffers from 50 ms to 100ms - no difference.

Next, I'm going to remove each VST one at a time, and see if I can find the root cause.

There was one setting in Sonar that I could not make work, I'll document that next.

AllanH
    Re: Significant performance problems since newburyport 2016/03/01 23:20:21 (permalink)
    I have one setting that is greyed out in settings, that came up in the help files:

Pref -> Audio -> Driver Settings -> Mixing Latency
    - "Buffers in Playback Queue" is greyed out containing a "2"
    - "Buffer Size" slider is greyed out with a setting of "Fast" (all to the left).

Q: does anyone know why it's greyed out?

Thanks

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Significant performance problems since newburyport 2016/03/01 23:23:02 (permalink)
    They are disabled in ASIO driver mode. The ASIO client software is used instead.
    AllanH
    Re: Significant performance problems since newburyport 2016/03/01 23:43:10 (permalink)
    thank you - that makes sense.

AllanH
    Re: Significant performance problems since newburyport 2016/03/02 23:43:53 (permalink)
    I began archiving tracks, and one of the Miroslav Phil 2 tracks did the trick. The track was even muted, but setting archive on both the VST and the midi track lowered CPU by 20% and playback is now pretty much back to normal, but with a 100 ms ASIO buffer (96k)

I had forgotten that MP2 received an update on 2/16, so my goof for not recognizing that and blaming it on Newburyport

rickidoo
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 59
    Re: Significant performance problems since newburyport 2016/03/04 06:26:29 (permalink)
    I was having the same issues. I did find a helpful solution for one of them.

1. There were significant dropouts, which impacted recording. Very significant and very disconcerting. The dropouts were added during recording but not added during play.
    After trying the normal "increase the buffer size" stuff, I don't know what it was, but something caused me to think "stutter" during a file write operation - e.g, disk access.  I moved the song to my SSD drive and instantly, the recording stuttering issues went away.  I went back to the regular hard drive, and stutter back. Tested again on the SSD and no stutter.

Nothing else changed in my i7 Win 10 16 Gig system with ASIO audio drivers and a PCI connection. The conclusion is that something in Newburyport was performing poorly during write operations. My SSD was fast enough to keep up with it.  But my hard drive, which has been the same one I have used for many songs, suddenly could not be written to fast enough.

My SSD isn'tthe largest drive so I have adopted a "current song only" approach, offloading the song onto a regular drive when done.

I *STILL* do have other kind of cracks and pops issues hat I did not used to have, and they seem to be as of late, but they are minor and tolerable compared to the stutter issue I faced.

2. I do find that VST's... less than I historically have used... put a rapid strain on the system. I freeze tracks quicker than I would like to, but that doesn't help the scenario where the VST is on a bus or an aux track.

I am hoping Cake is looking into these kind of issues.

Rick

Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Significant performance problems since newburyport 2016/03/04 08:14:17 (permalink)
    rickidoo
    I moved the song to my SSD drive and instantly, the recording stuttering issues went away.  I went back to the regular hard drive, and stutter back. Tested again on the SSD and no stutter.

Review my comments in post #5, changing the cache size might be all you need to do.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    AllanH
    Re: Significant performance problems since newburyport 2016/03/04 08:42:22 (permalink)
    Rick - thank you for posting your findings.

After more studying with SysInternals I also concluded that there is something about disk I/O that's far less efficient in Newburyport, at least on my system. I've ordered a small 128 G SSD that I'm going to move my projects to, and see if that makes a difference.

Sampletank historically has had problems with the VST3s, and I've always used the VST2. For Miroslav Phil 2, and the "worst" project, I'm using the VST3, so that's another thing to consider for me.

Generally, my experience has been that Sonar is incredible efficient under load, so something is definitely different for me. I do know that system performance doesn't degrade gracefully (i.e. linearly) as load goes up, but it was such a dramatic change after Newburyport, that I chose to post.

I'll post if I notice anything else of significance.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1