Helpful ReplyRecording Violin

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Recording Violin 2016/05/31 17:50:07 (permalink)
It is interesting talking about ribbon mics that are good but affordable.

That violin sound you have got is very much the player, violin and everything else. You are doing pretty well for such a hard instrument.  This well played on a nice instrument is a real treat though and it record well into may setups including cheaper ones too.

That reverb is way too long and too much as well. (unless you were going for that continuous pad like sound behind the violin) Try adding a much smaller more subtle reverb effect. It can help the violin sound to a degree.  Convolution reverbs doing lovely smaller chambers can work wonders.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Recording Violin 2016/06/01 14:20:23 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
It is interesting talking about ribbon mics that are good but affordable.

That violin sound you have got is very much the player, violin and everything else. You are doing pretty well for such a hard instrument.  This well played on a nice instrument is a real treat though and it record well into may setups including cheaper ones too.

That reverb is way too long and too much as well. (unless you were going for that continuous pad like sound behind the violin) Try adding a much smaller more subtle reverb effect. It can help the violin sound to a degree.  Convolution reverbs doing lovely smaller chambers can work wonders.

Thanks Jeff.
I  couldn't justify spending more on the mics than the violin. My second choice would have been a Cascade Fathead preferably with the transformer upgrade. The active ribbons seem to me to be a good deal for the home studio/hobbyist. If one has the right preamps already them a passive ribbon would be best.

Thanks for the vote that I'm improving slightly. Practice keeps me out of trouble most of the time. I hope to get a better setup in the future.

I haven't used a convolution reverb in awhile. Thanks for that tip. I still need to find a happy medium between too much and too little reverb.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1