Helpful ReplyA simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
rogeriodec
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 753
2016/04/22 12:40:07 (permalink)

A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy!

I just want to do something very simple: cut off some measures of beginning of this midi file:
http://www.kunstderfuge.com/-/midi.asp?file=beethoven/symphony_9_4_(c)cvikl.mid
And of course make all other bars to move to the beginning.
To be more specific, select the measures of 1:00:000 to 153:03:090, cut it out (includind Tempo) and what was 153:03:090 must be now 1:00:000.
"Delete Special" is buggy, as "Cut Special" also.
Could anyone tell me how to solve this simple operation?

rogeriodec.com.br

* Cakewalk By Bandlabs (always lastest versions), Window 10 x64
* Focusrite Scarlett Solo Audio Interface
* Intel i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00 GHz / ASROCK EXTREME 4 Z97 Mobo
* 2 SSD Samsung Evo 250 Gb (RAID-0) + 1 Western Digital 2 Tb + 1 Seagate 1 Tb
* Onboard video / 16 Gb RAM HyperX Fury 1600 Mhz
* 3 LCD Monitors
* Axiom 61 MIDI Controller, Tapco S5 Active Studio Monitors
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/22 12:51:31 (permalink)
I tried the following with your MIDI file, and it seemed to work:

1. Place the now time at 153:03:090.
2. Select All.
3. Type "S" (for "split").
4. With All still selected, drag left in the timeline from the Now Time position to the beginning.
5. Choose Edit > Cut Special and check everything except "Shift by Whole Measures."

After you click OK, things should be as you want them.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
rogeriodec
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/22 13:04:28 (permalink)
Anderton
I tried the following with your MIDI file, and it seemed to work:

2. Select All.
4. With All still selected, drag left in the timeline from the Now Time position to the beginning.
5. Choose Edit > Cut Special and check everything except "Shift by Whole Measures."

After you click OK, things should be as you want them.

Thank you, but it seems you did not get to test what you're saying, in this file, right?

rogeriodec.com.br

* 3 LCD Monitors
Klaus
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 320
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/22 13:30:19 (permalink)
Both "Cut Special"and "Delete Special" work here (I downloaded the MIDI file in question and tested it).
Be sure to check "Delete Hole".

To save a bit time regarding step 4:
Since dragging in the timeline to 1:00:000 can take a couple of seconds depending on zoom level and from where you start dragging, it's faster just to click in the top of the timeline (where cursor changes to "Zoom" icon) on the left side of the split.
This selects the time range between Start and Now Time position.

SONAR Platinum 
RME HDSPe AIO - Windows 10 64bit - Intel i7 2600K - 16 GB RAM

Klaus
  • Total Posts : 320
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/22 13:42:56 (permalink)
Sorry, I'm wrong with what I said about step 4.
I had a marker inserted at that position, that's why this time range got selected. 

SONAR Platinum 
RME HDSPe AIO - Windows 10 64bit - Intel i7 2600K - 16 GB RAM

rogeriodec
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/22 14:10:15 (permalink)
What am I doing wrong?

1) Here is the Midi file, already positioned and all selected:

2) What happens when pressing "S" (Split)

3) Going to 1:01:00 and calling "Cut Special"

4) Following the steps you told me, obviously ALL has been deleted:

5) Undoing the last action and selecting only the range from 1:00:000 to 153:03:090

6) Cut Special with all options selected:

7) As you can see, some clips were not moved after Cut Special.

So, is not a bug?

rogeriodec.com.br

* 3 LCD Monitors
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/22 14:51:35 (permalink)
Preferences > Customisation > Editing > Clips > Selection after single split

Set to "Right Portion"

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Anderton
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/22 15:09:27 (permalink)
rogeriodec

Thank you, but it seems you did not get to test what you're saying, in this file, right?

As I said..."I tried the following with your MIDI file..." Worked for me. However, I should have mentioned something that's often been discussed here in case you missed it: SONAR won't delete something that's not there. The tracks that didn't move started after the space you wanted to eliminate.

I just dragged one of your short MIDI files into tracks 9, 10, 11 and 21, but a more obvious way to see if there's nothing in the track is to hold Ctrl and set the Edit Filter to Notes. Then just click anywhere in a track's empty space within the section to be cut.

This is an annoyance but once you know about it, you can do the workaround. Hope this helps! 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/22 15:48:14 (permalink)
I am not sure a track will delete a hole and slide over, if there was no midi data present ahead of what you are trying to slide over - in that given track.

Could it be that the tracks that didn't slide could have no midi data ahead of them?

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/22 16:50:19 (permalink)
I think the problem could be, at least according to the posted screenshots, that after the tracks are split, the portions to the right of the split are not selected, hence my post #7.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
rogeriodec
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/22 21:28:43 (permalink)
Now I understand that actually a simple operation becomes very complicated in Sonar (which is unfortunately something common in this software).

Any editing software, simple as it is, has a simple concept: what is selected and is cut, all that is to the right should be automatically shifted to the left. This is something basic.

Now, we have to agree that the options "Delete Hole" and "Shift by Whole measures" are buggy. My images prove it.
And once again, we have to use manual operation to work around these bugs.

In my case, my mistake was to believe that "Delete Hole" worked.

But at least, partially following the suggestion of Anderton, I managed to solve this problem:

2. Select All.
  4. Edit -> Select -> Thru = Now (this is to correct the selection point that should be trimmed)
  5. Edit -> Cut Special (select everything EXCEPT "Delete Hole" and "Shift by Whole measures")
  6. Select All, again.
  7. Manually move all the clips to the first bar.
Many steps to something simple. But it's one of the difficulties that we must tolerate.
Anyway, I appreciate all your support.

rogeriodec.com.br

* 3 LCD Monitors
SquireBum
  • Total Posts : 347
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/23 04:16:01 (permalink)

Splitting the clips should not be necessary.  If Delete Hole is working properly, selecting all tracks and setting the From and Thru time for the portion to be deleted is all that is needed.

Using the MIDI file provided by the OP, I tried the following steps in Sonar 8.5, X2a, X3e, and Platinum 2016.03:

Steps to reproduce:
1.  Opened provided MIDI file.
2.  Selected all tracks using Ctrl+A.
3.  Set the From time to 1:1:000 in the Selection Module.
4.  Set the Thru time to 153:3:090 in the Selection Module.
5.  Executed Edit > Delete Special... with the Events and Delete Hole checkbox marked.

Expected Results: Measures 1 thru 153.3.90 would be deleted and all remaining clips would be moved to fill the hole.

Actual Results: 

Sonar 8.5, X2a, and X3e deleted measures 1 thru 153.3.90. The remaining clips moved together to fill the hole on all tracks. [PASSED]
  Platinum 2016.03 deleted measures 1 thru 153.  Clips on tracks 1, 10, 11 and 12 did not move.  Clips on remaining tracks moved to fill the hole.  [FAILED]

Conclusion:  Delete Hole does not work as expected in Platinum 2016.03.

I recommend the OP creates a Problem Report and provide the MIDI file example.

-- Ron

EDIT:  The Non-destructive MIDI editing option was unchecked in Preferences in all Sonar versions.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum x64 2017.10, X3E, X2a, X1d, 8.5
Windows 10 x64
AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.20 GHz
8 GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT
Echo Gina 3G
Anderton
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/23 10:57:56 (permalink)
SquireBum
Splitting the clips should not be necessary.  If Delete Hole is working properly, selecting all tracks and setting the From and Thru time for the portion to be deleted is all that is needed.

True, splitting should not be necessary. However, if a split falls in the middle of a MIDI note, the note will not be split. (I believe this is a design decision, not a bug, however I think it would make more sense if it did split the note, and SONAR left it up to the user to deal with creating two notes where there used to be one.) Attempting to split and not getting a split makes it obvious when you need to split a note manually.

I don't think there's any need, it's a well-known issue that Delete Hole won't delete space in a track if there's no data in that space; this has been submitted before. The issue is that if there's nothing to delete, currently SONAR's delete operation doesn't know what to do. Please see my post above for the workaround. With that workaround Delete Hole works as expected. Note that the data doesn't have to be a clip, it can be anything. 

EDIT:  The Non-destructive MIDI editing option was unchecked in Preferences in all Sonar versions.

That's a useful addition of data, although I tried the workaround described above that allows Delete Hole to work properly with it checked and it worked the same way. I do believe there are a variety of conditions attached to whether it's checked or not, but I don't remember them all offhand.

Also FWIW, create a few tracks that don't have data until, say, measure 10. Then select all and try to Cut Special measures 1-9. Both Cut Special and Delete Special will be grayed out. Also these Delete Hole limitations apply to audio tracks as well as MIDI. 

SquireBum
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/23 12:50:54 (permalink)
Anderton
SquireBum

True, splitting should not be necessary. However, if a split falls in the middle of a MIDI note, the note will not be split. (I believe this is a design decision, not a bug, however I think it would make more sense if it did split the note, and SONAR left it up to the user to deal with creating two notes where there used to be one.) Attempting to split and not getting a split makes it obvious when you need to split a note manually.

I don't think there's any need, it's a well-known issue that Delete Hole won't delete space in a track if there's no data in that space; this has been submitted before. The issue is that if there's nothing to delete, currently SONAR's delete operation doesn't know what to do. Please see my post above for the workaround. With that workaround Delete Hole works as expected. Note that the data doesn't have to be a clip, it can be anything. 

That's a useful addition of data, although I tried the workaround described above that allows Delete Hole to work properly with it checked and it worked the same way. I do believe there are a variety of conditions attached to whether it's checked or not, but I don't remember them all offhand.

Also FWIW, create a few tracks that don't have data until, say, measure 10. Then select all and try to Cut Special measures 1-9. Both Cut Special and Delete Special will be grayed out. Also these Delete Hole limitations apply to audio tracks as well as MIDI. 

Craig,
  My conclusions were based on the fact that Delete Hole functioned as expected in 3 versions of Sonar prior to Platinum.  All tracks moved to close the hole, including the ones that started after end of time selection.

Are you saying that Platinum is performing as expected even though earlier versions provided the desired result?

-- Ron

Windows 10 x64
8 GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT
Echo Gina 3G
Anderton
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/23 14:25:03 (permalink)
SquireBum

Craig,
  My conclusions were based on the fact that Delete Hole functioned as expected in 3 versions of Sonar prior to Platinum.  All tracks moved to close the hole, including the ones that started after end of time selection.

Are you saying that Platinum is performing as expected even though earlier versions provided the desired result?

-- Ron

No, I just said that this is a known issue with Platinum that has been commented on before, and for which bug reports have been submitted. I can't comment on how Delete Hole worked prior to Platinum because it's not something I use much, so I don't remember...when arranging, I already have sections of clips grouped and just move them around, copy them, delete them, etc.

This is also why I make a lot of use of Select All + Split to segregate different sections for grouping. It seems like not very many SONAR users are into grouping, especially if they use MIDI because SONAR won't split the middle of notes, but it's been part of my workflow with Sony Vegas for years. I just naturally gravitated over to that workflow in SONAR. 

P.S. - FWIW I wrote about this technique in Week 76 of Friday's Tip of the Week.

SquireBum
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/23 14:53:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2016/04/24 02:56:36
Anderton
SquireBum

Craig,

-- Ron

No, I just said that this is a known issue with Platinum that has been commented on before, and for which bug reports have been submitted. I can't comment on how Delete Hole worked prior to Platinum because it's not something I use much, so I don't remember...when arranging, I already have sections of clips grouped and just move them around, copy them, delete them, etc.

This is also why I make a lot of use of Select All + Split to segregate different sections for grouping. It seems like not very many SONAR users are into grouping, especially if they use MIDI because SONAR won't split the middle of notes, but it's been part of my workflow with Sony Vegas for years. I just naturally gravitated over to that workflow in SONAR. 

P.S. - FWIW I wrote about this technique in Week 76 of Friday's Tip of the Week.

Craig,
  Thanks for the clarification.  I interpreted your comment about no need for a Problem Report to mean that you thought this was working as expected.

For clarification I created animations of the Delete Hole function in Sonar X3 and Platinum 2016.03.  This is my first attempt at a linked upload, so I hope it works. 

The first animation is Sonar X3.  Notice that the clips on Tracks 3 and 4 move to the left along with the MIDI notes in Tracks 1,2, and 5.  It appears that in this example that tracks that do not have MIDI data in the "hole" still move following clips to the left.

The second animation is Platinum 2016.03.  Notice that the clips on Tracks 3 and 4 do not move.

Thanks,
Ron

Windows 10 x64
8 GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT
Echo Gina 3G
rogeriodec
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/23 15:34:02 (permalink)
Excellent comparison job, Ron!
Now it visually clear that there is a serious bug in Platinum.

rogeriodec.com.br

* 3 LCD Monitors
msorrels
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1025
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/23 17:10:42 (permalink)
A serious bug that's been in Platinum for more than a year now.  One that is easily reproducible, doesn't involve any 3rd party software or hardware.  A function that users need/use pretty much all the time.  All the various cut/copy/paste/overwrite/edit MIDI bugs drive me crazy and they have been around for a very long time. 

Make MIDI better needs to be the meme, Cakewalk could start with this.

-Matt

williamcopper
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/23 18:41:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg71 2016/04/23 19:25:45
Completely agree Sonar Platinum or maybe at some time in the X series has created serious selection bugs, they've been reported, they really cause loss of many hours of time, and they should be fixed.

For the OP, however, try using "select all", first, to get all tracks involved, and then "select by time", and then cut special with 'delete hole' (not 'by whole measures' .. that's another bug)  -- then even the unselected clips will be moved as you want them.    

For a specific procedure:   here's how I do it, but I'm not sure whether my shortcuts are unique to my set up or not (Ctl-A = select all and s = "select by time"). 

Click in track view, anywhere, to make sure nothing is selected
Type Ctl-A (select all)
Type S -- brings up the select by time dialog,   enter  1, tab, 153:3:090, enter.
Ctl-Alt-X  (cut special)
Check tempo changes and markers and meter and delete hole.
Enter.

(edit -- this is Platinum, Kingston ... seems to be an issue for later updates)
post edited by williamcopper - 2016/04/24 20:23:17
SquireBum
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/23 19:54:25 (permalink)
Curiosity forced me to Rollback versions of Platinum until I found the last version in which Delete Hole functioned as expected.  The last version that functioned as expected was "Kingston".

So, the bottom line is if you can't live without the Delete Hole functionality, then you must rollback to "Kingston".

Hope this helps,
Ron

Windows 10 x64
8 GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT
Echo Gina 3G
Anderton
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/23 20:41:17 (permalink)
Interesting. The Kingston update also didn't have the "ReWire distortion on playback with Reason" that started with Lexington, although that bug has been fixed in SONAR 2016.04. Maybe it's too much to hope that fixing the ReWire bug also fixed this one...

Ron, I would recommend re-submitting a report, since the fact that it worked in Kingston but hasn't worked since Lexington is the kind of data that should make it a lot easier to track down the problem. I'm sure the Bakers will appreciate that level of diligence.

Anderton
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/23 20:44:21 (permalink)
williamcopper
For the OP, however, try using "select all", first, to get all tracks involved, and then "select by time", and then cut special with 'delete hole' (not 'by whole measures' .. that's another bug)  -- then even the unselected clips will be moved as you want them.

But will this still work on the OP's project where a track didn't have data until after the hole to be deleted? I don't think so.

williamcopper
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/23 21:51:32 (permalink)
Yes, it works, at least as of Platinum Kingston.
SquireBum
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/24 00:42:46 (permalink)
Anderton

Ron, I would recommend re-submitting a report, since the fact that it worked in Kingston but hasn't worked since Lexington is the kind of data that should make it a lot easier to track down the problem. I'm sure the Bakers will appreciate that level of diligence.

As Craig suggested, I created and submitted the following Problem Report.

CWBRN-49873

Report Details

Product    SONAR Platinum
Version    22.3.0.71
Architecture  x64
Status      New
Summary  Delete Hole function does not work after Lexington Update

Repro Steps
  1. Create new project
  2. Insert 5 MIDI tracks
  3. Record 4 bars of MIDI notes
  4. Copy recorded Clip to tracks 2 -5. Move the clip on track 3 to Measure 5 and track 4 to Measure 6
  5. Select all tracks
  6. Drag timeline from Measure 1 to Measure 4
  7. Execute Delete Special with the Events and Delete Hole check boxes checked
Expected Results
The first 3 Measures of midi data should be deleted from Tracks 1,2 and 5 with the remaining MIDI notes moving to bar 1. The clip on Track 3 should move 3 Measures to the left and start on Measure 2. The clip on Track 4 should move 3 Measures to the left and start on Measure 3. The expected results were confirmed in Sonar 8.5, Sonar X2a, Sonar X3e, and all Platinum versions up to "Kingston".

Actual Results
The first 3 Measures of midi data are deleted from Tracks 1,2 and 5 with the remaining MIDI notes moving to bar 1. The clip on Track 3 remains at Measure 5 and the clip on Track 4 remains at Measure 6. The Actual results were confirmed on all Platinum versions starting with Lexington through 2016.03. I am attaching a test project based on the Steps to Reproduce, an animated GIF from Platinum Kingston and an animated GIF from Platinum 2016.03.

OS  Windows 7 64-bit
Reproducibility   ReproducibleInAllProjects
Filed   4/24/2016
Last update  4/24/2016

Windows 10 x64
8 GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT
Echo Gina 3G
Anderton
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/24 01:53:32 (permalink)
Thank you!!

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/24 02:45:06 (permalink)
SquireBum

The second animation is Platinum 2016.03.  Notice that the clips on Tracks 3 and 4 do not move.

Thanks,
Ron

Just in case folks didn't catch this... note that the non-shifted tracks also deselect, which is the same bug/issue noted in this thread. If SONAR decides there is nothing to process, the user selection is altered.

I think the core of this bug is the deselection... and it seems to be done prior to the "delete hole" portion of the algorithm.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
lapasoa
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 193
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/24 04:50:41 (permalink)
As written before, there must be something (both audio or midi) in every track at the beginning of what you want to delete.
Anderton
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/24 10:47:45 (permalink)
lapasoa
As written before, there must be something (both audio or midi) in every track at the beginning of what you want to delete.

I think an automation node will also serve this purpose.

williamcopper
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/24 20:11:00 (permalink)
Got to be careful about that 'something' ... again, clips are likely to get involved here.    If the 'something' results in a clip extending from the beginning of the file into your selection region, yes, but if the 'something' results in a separate clip, not selected because the start time is beyond the end of that clip, then the OP remains. 
msorrels
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1025
Re: A simple MIDI editing is driving me crazy! 2016/04/24 23:51:07 (permalink)
There is no reason why Sonar can't let you select some tracks and a region of time and then delete that region of time, moving all the tracks over.  For years their have been issues with deleting holes -- this forum is full of posts about various methods and processes to remove silences/delete holes.  It sounds like this specific problem didn't start until Lexington back in Nov 2015.  I wished we could get Cakewalk to understand how important it is to have these bread and butter project database operations work.

-Matt

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1