Author
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
2016/06/07 10:06:12 (permalink)
5 (1)

Copy/Paste Track/FX/PC settings, and Exporting Mix Recall Scenes

Copy/Paste Track Settings

What I'd like to be able to do is apply parts of, if not the whole scene to other projects. For instance, I have 20 songs from a band which all have the same drums, same drummer, same vibe, mics, etc. and nothing is really different from the rest. Same with rhythm guitars and bass. To match the initial mixes across 20 projects/songs is an incredibly time-consuming process. I can watch entire movies on another screen while doing this arduous task.

What I keep pining for is a way to mix one song, then literally Copy/Paste the drum mix to all the others. I used a term before that would have made this possible without even opening the other projects, but as a lower-hanging fruit request, if I could highlight all drum tracks, right-click on one of the track numbers, select Copy Parameters, then subsequently open all the other songs into Sonar, one at a time, select the same tracks in each project and right-click over a track number and select Paste Parameters, the fader, phase, stereo/mono, automation read/write (but not automation envelopes), FX bin, ProChannel, pan, Sends, Aux, etc. would immediately be applied to each project. If a Send warrants a new buss or track not already in the subsequent projects, the Copy process simply copies that as well, so it can be applied to subsequent projects.  

If I want to copy just FX bin changes, I could select all the tracks to copy/paste right-click over the FX bin of one track and select, Copy FX, then open the subsequent projects, highlight those same tracks and right-click Paste FX. Same with Prochannel, with Pan, or even Faders. But if you right-click Copy on the track numbers ALL track settings are copied.

Note: All 20 projects have already been recorded, so templates are out.

1) Open first project.
2) Mix.
3) Highlight all tracks you wish to copy settings from to apply to all other projects/songs on the album.
4) Right-Click the track number of one of the highlighted tracks and click Copy Parms (or Copy Track Settings).
5) Open subsequent projects you wish to apply these mix settings to.
6) Highlight the same tracks as before.
7) Right-click over a track number and select Paste Parms (or Paste Track Settings). Voila! The drum mix or whatever now match the previous project!
8) Repeat for other projects you wish to Paste these settings to.

Need to only copy ProChannel settings from one project to another? Right-click over the ProChannel box in a selected track and click Copy ProChannel.

Mix Recall Scene Export

Being that Mix Recall scenes can collect mix settings, being able to export and apply only parts or all of a Mix scene to other projects would also be handy. Is there a way that I can Export a Mix Recall Scene, or can it be saved as an editable external, perhaps json or .ini type file (preference?)) in future Sonar versions?

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.

2 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Copy/Paste Track/FX/PC settings, and Exporting Mix Recall Scenes 2016/06/07 10:25:28 (permalink)
    There is a Mix Recall Template feature http://www.cakewalk.com/D...lp=NewFeatures.63.html
    Here is a thread about them http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3183516

Note: over time link will probably go bad (like Noel's link did in the referenced thread) because it is in the new features section of the documentation. It was added in Braintree the Feb 2015 release. The feature is documented in that release.
    brconflict
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1891
    Re: Copy/Paste Track/FX/PC settings, and Exporting Mix Recall Scenes 2016/06/07 14:33:36 (permalink)
    scook
    There is a Mix Recall Template feature http://www.cakewalk.com/D...lp=NewFeatures.63.html
    Here is a thread about them http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3183516

Note: over time link will probably go bad (like Noel's link did in the referenced thread) because it is in the new features section of the documentation. It was added in Braintree the Feb 2015 release. The feature is documented in that release.

Yeah, Noel mentioned this feature as well. The problem with that is this only applies to new projects as templates, not existing ones, since the audio already exists in the subsequent projects. My idea implies that I could do this at any time, even when deep into the work. For example, let's say I mix the entire album (20 projects), and the drummer or label thinks the guitars all need some work. If I need to go back and revisit all 20, that's a pretty major undertaking (20 minutes of mixing, and 20 minutes of making the same changes in all 20 projects), not to mention getting them all exactly the same.  If I need to revisit the kick drum on a song, tweak it, and now it's good, I can swiftly apply the change to the other projects by an easy and intuitive Copy/Paste process vs. Save FX bin, then load FX in other projects. 

I've mentioned before in another thread, the concept of a Project Sync Group, which was pretty elaborate. If I had a group of projects that should be synchronized in mixing (at least some, but not all tracks), I could select those projects, and the elements in them that I want synchronized. For example, if I'm mixing drums, and the next day I hate the mix, I can do them over in one project and with the click of one button, synchronize my drum changes to all other projects in the group. If I want to do this, but exclude fader settings (because they may be automated), I could sync FX Bin, pan, ProChannel, etc. settings without even opening all the other projects in the group.  It was an elaborate idea (I made a video to better illustrate, but I'd have to go back and re-record the vid to update to Platinum)

But since that idea seemed to deep to be practical, I'm always looking for shorter and easier ideas to accomplish much of the same, but perhaps less time-consuming and simpler to develop. Cut/Paste track settings is something I think might be simpler, meanwhile still quite effective.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1