Delete Hole

Author
MagicMike
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 188
2016/06/09 06:33:56 (permalink)

Delete Hole

Not sure if I'm doing right, but when copying entire sections of a song when arranging, for example moving a chorus, the delete hole works but only shifts the tracks that have audio or midi in them. Tracks that are empty do not get shifted back and consequently the audio/midi data that appears later in the track, after the blank section, doesn't get moved back after deleting the hole.

Windows 10 x64, 16 gb RAM,i7 4.2GHz, 250GB Samsung SSD for OS/Programs, SSD for current projects,  1TB Disk for audio and backup project files, RME UCX interface on USB, ASUS motherboard, dual screen setup with latest AMD FX 5450 catalyst drivers for graphics, Cakewalk by Bandlab. Samson Graphite 49 keyboard.

10 Replies Related Threads

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Delete Hole 2016/06/09 08:43:11 (permalink)
    Correct.

Delete hole only works when there's data in the hole

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    SquireBum
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 347
    Re: Delete Hole 2016/06/09 11:50:34 (permalink)
    MagicMike
    Not sure if I'm doing right, but when copying entire sections of a song when arranging, for example moving a chorus, the delete hole works but only shifts the tracks that have audio or midi in them. Tracks that are empty do not get shifted back and consequently the audio/midi data that appears later in the track, after the blank section, doesn't get moved back after deleting the hole.

@MagicMike
      Delete Hole stopped working correctly for MIDI clips in the Lexington release.  I submitted Problem Report CWBRN-49873 on 4/24/2016 that still remains at a "New" status.  A thread concerning the Delete Hole problem is here: http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3404822.

I sent an email to support yesterday, 6/08/2016, to inquire about the problem report status and hope to hear back in the next few days.

Hope this helps,
    -- Ron

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum x64 2017.10, X3E, X2a, X1d, 8.5
    Windows 10 x64
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.20 GHz
    8 GB Ram
    Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT
    Echo Gina 3G
    MagicMike
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 188
    Re: Delete Hole 2016/06/09 11:56:28 (permalink)
    Thanks. For a workaround I placed copies of audio data into tracks with no data so I could move everything along later in the project.

Windows 10 x64, 16 gb RAM,i7 4.2GHz, 250GB Samsung SSD for OS/Programs, SSD for current projects,  1TB Disk for audio and backup project files, RME UCX interface on USB, ASUS motherboard, dual screen setup with latest AMD FX 5450 catalyst drivers for graphics, Cakewalk by Bandlab. Samson Graphite 49 keyboard.
    ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Delete Hole 2016/06/09 12:31:12 (permalink)
    Apparently they are in the process of developing something called ripple editing. It is supposed to take care of problems related to holes in the timeline. That's all I got.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    wtreppler
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 67
    Re: Delete Hole 2016/06/09 13:06:20 (permalink)
    Still haven't fixed this, huh? I'm using Kingston version because of this. Submitted a ticket months ago with no answer from Cakewalk folks. I'm getting close to dumping the software because of their lack of support, accountability, and simple acknowledgement of an issue. Frustrating.

Maybe the new owners will begin to care about their user base instead of sending out emails to re-up after I just did.

As I said, frustrating. Now, it seems, they've removed the ability to review submitted support tickets? Is this so?

Frustrated in St. Louis...
    Wally

Wally
    Above The Dogs, LLC
    www.abovethedogs.com
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Delete Hole 2016/06/09 15:28:58 (permalink)
    There's not a lot of incentive to fix this issue now, because they're working on replacing the delete hole/insert/remove measures functionality with true ripple editing. So it would be a fair amount of effort for something that would be obsolete not long afterward, and would delay implementing the improved way of dealing with arrangement-related editing.

There are a number of ways this kind of editing could be improved, so I think it makes sense to take care of them all at once.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    wtreppler
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 67
    Re: Delete Hole 2016/06/09 16:27:59 (permalink)
    Shouldn't have been broken in the first place. I can't believe more users don't have a problem with this. Seems simple enough. find the code in Kingston, compare to the later versions where it broke, replace the broken code with Kingston (working) code. Besides the fact that this was broken, what, 2-3 versions ago?
    Apologies for venting to you Craig, but you're representing Cakewalk at this point. If I neglected my clients in this manner (5-6 months and counting), I'd have no clients.
    Will they provide refunds for unused versions on my subscription? Kinda sucks that in changing the purchase model to provide all kinds of cool updates, etc., they've dropped the ball.

Anyway, holding out hope...

Wally
    Above The Dogs, LLC
    www.abovethedogs.com
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Delete Hole 2016/06/09 17:35:43 (permalink)
    I am in total agreement with both Anderton and wtreppler. 
    It should not be broken.
    Better to spend the effort on a better way to do the same (or very close to the same) thing. 
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Delete Hole 2016/06/09 18:08:11 (permalink)
    wtreppler
    Shouldn't have been broken in the first place.

I agree.

I can't believe more users don't have a problem with this. Seems simple enough. find the code in Kingston, compare to the later versions where it broke, replace the broken code with Kingston (working) code. Besides the fact that this was broken, what, 2-3 versions ago?

Based on the thread SquireBum referenced, this is not the only anomaly. So I suspect that fixing "just this one thing" would require extensive QA to see how it impacts whatever that code "touches," which includes MIDI, automation, audio, tempo changes, etc. etc. Something happened in an update to break it because code doesn't break itself; so fixing the "break" also means dealing with whatever was added - very possibly to fix a different bug - that caused the break. Better to jettison the code and clean it up once and for all. Also there are workarounds, as mentioned in the referenced thread; while kludges are never wonderful, there's less incentive to fix something that's conditionally functional compared to something that doesn't work at all or causes crashes.

Apologies for venting to you Craig, but you're representing Cakewalk at this point. If I neglected my clients in this manner (5-6 months and counting), I'd have no clients.

If I did really represent Cakewalk, I would say that specifying proper ripple editing as a high-priority fix shows that the needs of clients aren't being ignored, but that the company prefers implementing a long-term permanent solution over a band-aid that may result in further problems.

As a user, which I definitely do represent , I have confirmed this bug exists, but I'd rather keep doing workarounds short-term while they figure out a long-term solution instead of having a short-term solution that delays a long-term solution. But that's just one person's opinion and I'm sure it's not the only valid one.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    Re: Delete Hole 2016/06/19 20:31:27 (permalink)
    I discovered the problem but I thought I wasn't using the delete hole properly.  The problem was the data blank areas were not moving to the left as they once did before. 

I am glad the problem wasn't just in my head.

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1