What's in a Pattern, and Has This Changed?

Author
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
2005/01/20 21:54:00 (permalink)

What's in a Pattern, and Has This Changed?

Why now, I don't know, but the P2 announcement has renewed my curiosity as to exactly what differentiates a Project5 pattern from a standard MIDI file. This has been discussed here before, but I get the feeling that the pattern file has been expanded to accomodate some of the new features in the new version. Obviously, the .ptn file will be backward-compatible with the other versions, but it still bugs me as to the specifics of what's actually in there (or not).

I'm beginning to feel certain that it's a superset of a MIDI file, rather than a subset of features. But by leaving out access to some key features of MIDI files [sysex; MMC commands; in general, aftertouch], it could be either way. We know that patch changes are recorded in a pattern; we just can't get at them easily for manipulation. It may be that the .ptn file is an open-ended expandable format that can add items under its umbrella as needed. Speculation, anyone? [Or definitive answers, Cakewalk?]

7 Replies Related Threads

Nick Haddad [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 306
    RE: What's in a Pattern, and Has This Changed? 2005/01/21 08:10:12 (permalink)
    A patter (.ptn file) is a collection for any type of playable data in Project5. In P5v1.x, P606, and Kinetic, a pattern can hold any of the following things:

- Midi Notes
    - Midi Control (Pitch, Wheel, CC's, RPN's, etc)
    - DXi automation
    - DX fx automation
    - Audio data (for grooveclip paterns)

So it is a superset of standard MIDI in that a pattern can hold DX/DXi automation data and grooveclip audio.

As far as P5v2, who knows what the future holds :)

-Nick

Nick Haddad
    Software Engineer
    Cakewalk
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: What's in a Pattern, and Has This Changed? 2005/01/21 08:45:09 (permalink)
    As far as P5v2, who knows what the future holds

I'm beginning to worry a little about Nick.
    He seems like such a nice helpful guy and then he throws in these comments designed to tease and frustrate us.

Well one group who should know are the developers at Cakewalk. Or am I off the medication and drifting into the paranoid conspiracy (again)? It would seem when it comes to the future Nick has a sudden (convenient) loss of memory.

I suspect these bouts with memory problems may somehow be connected with Mikey's disappearance. I have some ideas about the T-shirts in this regard, but I don't want to attract too much attention.

TheOrphan
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: What's in a Pattern, and Has This Changed? 2005/01/21 09:09:59 (permalink)
    I have some ideas about the T-shirts in this regard, but I don't want to attract too much attention.

Yeah, good idea, we don't want you disappearing, too.
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: What's in a Pattern, and Has This Changed? 2005/01/21 10:26:28 (permalink)
    So it is a superset of standard MIDI

the word superset is the key. what this says to me is that the set ptn has the potential to be modified to include future needs.
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: What's in a Pattern, and Has This Changed? 2005/01/21 11:47:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Nick Haddad [Cakewalk]

A patter (.ptn file) is a collection for any type of playable data in Project5. In P5v1.x, P606, and Kinetic, a pattern can hold any of the following things:

-Nick

I personally think both Jimmy Hoffa and Amelia Earheart are in there somewhere.

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: What's in a Pattern, and Has This Changed? 2005/01/21 17:21:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for the official response, Nick. I guess that the "et cetera" part of the MIDI Control line of your reply is the real mystery for me. But I gained a clue from the RPNs inclusion; that'll tide me over. Put that together with your "interception" comment about NRPNs, and I have a bit more to go on ...

The DX, FX, and audio information was expected, but it's nice to see [almost] everything listed in one place by a reliable source.
    As far as P5v2, who knows what the future holds
    Well, you, for one. [etc.] But thank you again for verifying (in a roundabout way) that the format is expandable to include newer features and implementation. I knew that it wouldn't be too tough to add patch change editing and aftertouch support ... Oops! Did I say that aloud? Now how the added audio features are handled continues to pique my curiosity ...
    whitefalcon
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1161
    RE: What's in a Pattern, and Has This Changed? 2005/01/21 18:58:40 (permalink)
    Why now, I don't know, but the P2 announcement has renewed my curiosity as to exactly what differentiates a Project5 pattern from a standard MIDI file. This has been discussed here before, but I get the feeling that the pattern file has been expanded to accomodate some of the new features in the new version. Obviously, the .ptn file will be backward-compatible with the other versions, but it still bugs me as to the specifics of what's actually in there (or not).

I think its a proprietory version of a midi file...
    so you take a midi file and put a shell on it and you have a pattern....
    but its usable in only P5 not other apps save Sonar
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1