Helpful ReplyDrum Loops or Drum Programs?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/27 19:57:41 (permalink)
JustGotPaid
HaHa! Thanks Anderton! This is too good to be true!

I looked up Discreet Drums and see that one of my old Memphis friends, Greg Morrow, who is now a drummer in Nashville, did some of the Discreet Drums. Greg did a session for me in Nashville a while back and is the same ole Greg. I think he was voted Nashville Drummer of the Year last year.

Greg is terrific and talented. I used some of the Greg Morrow library, but mostly Chris McHugh for my neo- album. All the songs on my YouTube channel with acoustic drums use Discrete Drums.

But I also have a Greg Morrow story you'll enjoy. I took several multi-tracked loops from his first library and remixed/processed the living daylights out of them to create a collection of super-rude, nasty, industrial loops (they're all over my songs On Mars and Little Pieces). They were eventually released as the Turbulent Filth Monsters sample library (FWIW Depeche Mode are fans of it).

So I was at Summer NAMM and there was Greg Morrow with the guys from Discrete Drums. He's a big dude, as you know, and I was introduced as "Here's the guy who did Turbulent Filth Monsters." I fully expected him to say "So YOU'RE the A**HOLE who made my drums sound like ABSOLUTE GARBAGE!!!," and attempt to break my legs. Instead, he told me he thought the loops were really, really cool. In fact he was flattered. I became an even bigger Greg Morrow fan after that . Especially because he didn't break my legs.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
JustGotPaid
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 628
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/27 23:25:22 (permalink)
Thanks Chuck and I'm sorry we had some disturbance. I've been off and on here since I got interested in DAWs and SONAR in 2007 or 08 and have never had rude, argumentative replies until today. I've also never blocked anyone, until today. Hopefully, things will get back to normal and be smooth again.

Am still enjoying your YouTube tutorials. You obviously have a good handle on all this, and more than just drums. I'll see if I can make a short MP3 of some drums and a bass track as a reference point for the basic sound we are getting with loops to this point. I've learned that a little EQ and the right reverb can make a world of difference.

Thanks again.
DS

post edited by JustGotPaid - 2016/09/28 13:51:23

Sonar Platinum

Soundwise
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1419
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/28 05:01:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby TranceCanada 2016/09/28 11:27:38
Loops are like molecules, whereas one-shot samples are more like sub-atomic particles. Sometimes we need just wood or iron (wood&wire ) to build useful things and goods, and at other times we need to create/synthesize a new material, like Kevlar, nylon and whatnot to make other goods.
I've plenty of audio loops and sometimes use them to demo guitar gear, but have a hard time trying to find a set of loops that will help accomplish my musical ideas. So i prefer being an "alchemist" and create my own substances rather than being a "blacksmith" or a "carpenter".

Anderton
We are all unique and have our own contributions to make to this planet.

SoundCloud
YouTube
BandLab
JustGotPaid
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/28 13:22:43 (permalink)
Anderton, I went through my box of loops and found Rock and Slow Rock (I think those are the name.) vol 43 and 44, I think it is. I guess those are some Greg is on. I need to go back and read everything on the back cover.

Yes, Greg is a big ole fellow! I hadn't seen him in years until he was scheduled to do a session at Larry Beaird's in Berryhill by Nashville. It's over there by Blackbird. When I saw that Greg was book I reserved a slot for one song, but I went early and stayed late and we had a lot of good visiting time. I think we were both surprised to see how much we've both "grown" over the past 20 years. As luck would have it, Dan Dugmore was there too, and he's done a lot of steel for ZZ, which seems strange, but I think it was the Mescalaro album that most of it was on. When Greg and Dan got started we had a real ZZ fest.

Did you see Hardy when he was in Nashville engineering some of these? I'll see if I can post a pic of Joe and me many, many years ago at Ardent in Memphis. You will be surprised how different he looked back then. I'll leave it as my avatar until you say you have seen it, then I'll change back.

Great story! This is like dealing with home folks now!
DS

<Edit> Oh, I forgot this. When we were leaving I invited Greg to meet me for supper the next night. He said he couldn't because he was flying out to Los Angeles. I asked why and he just held up his drum stick case and said someone was flying him out there to play drums on some record I guess. I thought that was pretty cool to that see my ole Memphis buddy had made it in Nashville, and people were now flying him around the country to play on records. I have a few more good Greg stories I think you'd enjoy. If you prefer the privacy of email we can do that. If that suits better, pm me and I'll send you my email address.

post edited by JustGotPaid - 2016/09/28 13:52:26

Sonar Platinum

Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/28 16:06:43 (permalink)
Hi.
I am a little late to the party (as usual). I started making my own programmed drums because at the time when I started there were not many choices when it came to the music I made / make. The options are far better today than they were "back then".
But old habits die hard
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/28 20:15:18 (permalink)
Anderton
JustGotPaid
HaHa! Thanks Anderton! This is too good to be true!

I looked up Discreet Drums and see that one of my old Memphis friends, Greg Morrow, who is now a drummer in Nashville, did some of the Discreet Drums. Greg did a session for me in Nashville a while back and is the same ole Greg. I think he was voted Nashville Drummer of the Year last year.

Greg is terrific and talented. I used some of the Greg Morrow library, but mostly Chris McHugh for my neo- album. All the songs on my YouTube channel with acoustic drums use Discrete Drums.

But I also have a Greg Morrow story you'll enjoy. I took several multi-tracked loops from his first library and remixed/processed the living daylights out of them to create a collection of super-rude, nasty, industrial loops (they're all over my songs On Mars and Little Pieces). They were eventually released as the Turbulent Filth Monsters sample library (FWIW Depeche Mode are fans of it).

So I was at Summer NAMM and there was Greg Morrow with the guys from Discrete Drums. He's a big dude, as you know, and I was introduced as "Here's the guy who did Turbulent Filth Monsters." I fully expected him to say "So YOU'RE the A**HOLE who made my drums sound like ABSOLUTE GARBAGE!!!," and attempt to break my legs. Instead, he told me he thought the loops were really, really cool. In fact he was flattered. I became an even bigger Greg Morrow fan after that . Especially because he didn't break my legs.

Craig, I think the link to your youtube channel is wrong.  It can be found here.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

Anderton
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/29 00:30:19 (permalink)
Thank you! I fixed it in my post.

BTW I have not forgotten your request for the "high level" parts from the "Making Your Recorded Vocals Sound at Least Twice as Good" using SONAR that I did at GearFest. However, I've expanded it and will be doing "version 2.0" at AES on Saturday. At that point I'll post a link to the PDF somewhere, or at least email it to you.

I really need to finish the craiganderton.com web site (coming soon...as in, before 2019 for sure ) to host these kinds of things. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/29 01:37:04 (permalink)
Soundwise
Loops are like molecules, whereas one-shot samples are more like sub-atomic particles. Sometimes we need just wood or iron (wood&wire ) to build useful things and goods, and at other times we need to create/synthesize a new material, like Kevlar, nylon and whatnot to make other goods.
I've plenty of audio loops and sometimes use them to demo guitar gear, but have a hard time trying to find a set of loops that will help accomplish my musical ideas. So i prefer being an "alchemist" and create my own substances rather than being a "blacksmith" or a "carpenter". 

Exactly. On the songs where I use loops, I can get away with it only because they fit without having to do much other than chop them into little bitty pieces and put them back together again. However there's also much fun to be had in taking sub-atomic particles and turning them into molecules 

I really like multi-tracked drum libraries because you can totally mess them up - I mean, get creative with them. I'm working on a loop library now and the files were given to me as multitracked drums. Multitracked stuff is too complex for some people to deal with, but mixed loops can be too simplistic, so I'm considering going for more of a "stems" approach. We'll see if that works or not.

Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/29 09:02:34 (permalink)
Audio loops, particularly multi-track loops, will take up a awful lot of disk space compared to MIDI loops so building up a sizable library, they also appear to be more expensive.

The killer for me though is versatility, very often despite having a large library of MIDI I can’t always find exactly what I want so editing or creating the loop from scratch is an essential feature. I must admit I have never really persevered  slicing samples but it always seemed like a lot of effort and weird things seem to happen if there is a lot of ambiance baked into the loop. MIDI with Superior Drummer or BFD3 seems to work best for me.

I do like the groove finder and “hand” tool in EZ Drummer 2 however, great for finding similar grooves and creating variations. I hope to see this in Superior Drummer one day.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
dwardzala
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/29 09:31:00 (permalink)
Anderton
Thank you! I fixed it in my post.

BTW I have not forgotten your request for the "high level" parts from the "Making Your Recorded Vocals Sound at Least Twice as Good" using SONAR that I did at GearFest. However, I've expanded it and will be doing "version 2.0" at AES on Saturday. At that point I'll post a link to the PDF somewhere, or at least email it to you.

I really need to finish the craiganderton.com web site (coming soon...as in, before 2019 for sure ) to host these kinds of things. 

Thanks.  So v 2.0 will make vocals sound 8x better (because your original made my crappy vocals sound 4x better).  Looking forward to it.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

tnphelps
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/29 09:40:56 (permalink)
I use both, but mostly drum loops. When using drum loops I find it easier to work in ableton then export and import into Sonar. Like you, me and my co-writer write for fun or to pitch to Nashville. With that I was always satisfied with a basic good sounding mix so most of the time I just used a one track drum loop. When he said lets do CD, I wanted a better sounding less muddy mix. And I found it by using the multiple track drum loops offered by many. Being able to pan and control and effect different drum instruments made a world of difference and cleaned my mixes up tremendously. Will be hard to go back to 1 track drum loops now although there are programs like Nugen Steroplacer that allows you to pan different frequencies left, right and middle which also helps with a single track drum loop. I would say continue using drum loops if that is what works for you but look for multi track loops. I could be wrong but I think my Drums on Demand loops are single track. They are older versions though.
JustGotPaid
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/29 10:50:41 (permalink)
tnphelps, are you a member of NSAI and/or TSAI?

Sonar Platinum

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/29 11:31:56 (permalink)
Check These Out

Limited Time Offer on a large collection of multi-tracked drums from The Loop Loft for $39.

JustGotPaid
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/29 11:51:21 (permalink)
This may sound silly, but years ago when I started using drum loops I bought several CD's from Beta Monkey. No one ever mentions them these days, but that had a real slushy, live bar-room sound that I liked. No frills, but that's what I wanted on some songs.

Did the old Cakewalk Guitar Tracks 2 have something called Drag-n-Drop-Drummer? Or was that something totally different?

Sonar Platinum

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
tnphelps
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/29 12:46:12 (permalink)
Ascap
tnphelps
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/29 12:47:39 (permalink)
JustGotPaid
tnphelps, are you a member of NSAI and/or TSAI?

I am a member of ASCAP... I think my co writer may be a member of NSAI. Not sure.
post edited by tnphelps - 2016/09/29 13:12:02
JustGotPaid
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/29 13:25:42 (permalink)
So, basically, if all I plan to do  with drum midi like EZ Drummer and Superior Drummer is just put together some patterns, similar to building a song with loops, and I won't be doing any work on individual drums or special hits, etc., then there really is no advantage of drum midi over loops. Correct?

Sonar Platinum

Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/29 13:28:24 (permalink)
MIDI loops over audio loops will still give you more flexibility with tempos that differ from the ones the loops were originally meant for, as the kit samples are triggered in real time.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
JustGotPaid
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/29 13:44:07 (permalink)
Tnphelps, with the "tn" in your name I thought you might be around Nashville.
DS

Sonar Platinum

JustGotPaid
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/29 15:33:17 (permalink)
The BMP can be changed in many, if not all, of the ones I use. That is one criteria that is essential to me.

Sonar Platinum

Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/29 16:21:47 (permalink)
MIDI loops can be varied over a much wider tempo range than ACID type audio loops without causing artifacts.

You can also very quickly change kits or presets for a very different sound even if you don't want to tweak.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
Soundwise
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1419
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/29 19:01:56 (permalink)
Glyn Barnes
Audio loops, particularly multi-track loops, will take up a awful lot of disk space...
[...] I can’t always find exactly what I want so editing or creating the loop from scratch is an essential feature. [...]

Indeed, creating MIDI tracks for drums and other instruments from scratch is a huge time-saver for any composer/arranger. While songwriting and quick demos benefit greatly from using loops.

Anderton
We are all unique and have our own contributions to make to this planet.

SoundCloud
YouTube
BandLab
mcdoma2000
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 157
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/09/30 13:35:42 (permalink)
Another alternative is to use a plugin called Jamstix. I have had it for quite a while and it offers some of the benefits of a real drummer (not everything is necessarily on the beat or predictable, for example) but allows for tweaking the accuracy. It also will play drums in such a way that is actually possible for a real drummer to do it (it has knowledge of the fact that a drummer has only four appendages that they typically use for the performance). You can use it with its own drum sounds which are pretty good, or you can use it to drive EZDrummer or Superior Drummer. It's definitely worth having a look.

i7-920 24GB Ram
Windows 10 x64
SONAR Platinum x64
Focusrite 18i20
fitzj
  • Total Posts : 1487
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2016/10/01 15:52:41 (permalink)
Are Drums on Demand already processed?
BetaMonkey
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2017/08/22 04:12:25 (permalink)
Justgotpaid - thanks for the kind words. We're still at it - just transitioned to an all-new site this past spring. If you remember the old hard copy CD days, then that goes back a while!

We've added a lot of drum loops since then - take a look if only to see what we have been up to since we began serving up those "lushy, live bar-room sound" grooves you dug!

Beta Monkey delivers drum loops for rock, pop, blues, and more. Beta Monkey drum loops have the body, warmth, and beauty your drum tracks deserve.

https://betamonkey.com/
patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: Drum Loops or Drum Programs? 2017/08/22 12:33:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chuckebaby 2017/08/22 13:14:04
chuckebaby
but when its crunch time and you want the best possible sound. mic up a kit and get yourself a drummer.
I know this is not practical for everyone but real drums blow away any sample made.
there are certain nuances about a drummer, real drums that can not be captured no matter what you do.
even a poor drummer itself can bring a lively feel to something any sample can not. which is a robotic, flat totally in time drum line.
I know some will say, but theres things you can do to make them sound real. those people are right, there are things you can do to make drums sound real. trust me i know. ive made a video on it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruAnAPR6-hQ
 but that's just it...the difference between "Sounds real" and "Real" are miles apart. 

As a drummer myself, Thank you for saying this.  I have always felt this way, but thought that live drummers were going the way of the 8 track tape...

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1