Helpful ReplyStrat mods

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
robbyk
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 705
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/12 10:12:08 (permalink)
glennstanton
bought a MIM HSS - humbucker in bridge position - ebay - $300. sounds good, plays really nice. could probably update pickups and bridge but overall very happy with it. because it is a "sea foam" (greenish) body it probably wasn't as popular so hence the good price.

I was thinking about this too, especially if he wants to get heavily into mods, good point! I assume just buy from a reputable guy.

Yea, pink and sickly green are probably a good buy :)

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
Studio
spacey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/12 11:01:13 (permalink)
robbyk
spacey

I think I'd keep my mouth shut and let him get what he wanted UNLESS you knew he was getting piece of junk, a bad deal or being ripped off.

The fun is doing it together and talking about it, but the point is taken, he works at UCLA and is a director of photography in the film industry as well, I'm sure he'll do what he wants. But I've been playing since the 60s and he only recently, so it's nice of him to ask around the old crew :)

Why did you quote only part of what I said?

Of course it is fun taking part. As I mentioned; talking about the important aspects of the guitar NOT brands or where they were made. If he can't recognize the quality why spend for it? Let him determine that is my point.
How are people you're asking for advice suppose to know if he knows the difference and purpose of the components and designs? 

I don't appreciate you quoting part of what I had to offer you.
I too have been playing since the 60's but what does that have to do with the people here knowing how much you or your son know about guitars?
I figured you must not know much since you asked. Not an insult...I've known many guitarist that could play the hell out of them and knew nothing of a truss-rod.

Sorry I said anything...have fun.

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/12 11:53:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robbyk 2016/12/12 15:23:57
spacey

I think I'd keep my mouth shut and let him get what he wanted UNLESS you knew he was getting piece of junk, a bad deal or being ripped off.

Why? Because he'll get what he feels is right. If he doesn't recognize the quality of a high-end guitar he doesn't need it anyway.
If he isn't happy with it down the road you won't be part of the reason but then could be part of making it better-maybe a guitar he does like.

If he doesn't know the basic differences between electric guitars; short-scale vs. long, HB vs Singles, hard-tail vs trem, solid body vs semi-solid, tilt/angle neck vs straight, fret size (sm vs lrg) -neck contours - maybe wood choices, etc......point them out to him.

Of course...I'd ask him about all those specifics along with aesthetics and build it.

+1.

robbyk
My son is looking for a nice electric guitar for Christmas now that he has fulltime work. He has been looking around and gravitating towards a strat, HSS.

I suggested perhaps the new Fender American Professional Stratocaster HSS e.g. 
He is also looking at Mexican strats at ~ 1/3 the price.

If he goes the latter, any drawbacks or naysayers or critical mods? Any suggestions? Anything better (within the same price range) than the Fender from custom luthiers, etc?

Thanks!

as is the case with most things musical,
they all sound/feel different.

if he KNOWS that he likes the fender style,
then go on a 'quest' first....

to every music store you can get to,
and play on every type of strat you can find.

could be, the one that speaks to him,
is the cheapest one available.

could be, all the cheap ones don't feel right,
and what he really wants is a quality instrument, 
that surely will fall into the $1500-2500 range....

i like building mine,
and the few i bought 'stock' are not the typical choices....

but the 'tone quest' is complicated,
and sometimes people just don't want complicated,
they just want a decent guitar,
in which case most of the previous suggestions all apply.

i had both of these guitars custom built...
the strat on the left, is a USACG build, $1500 in all, but feels like a much higher quality Suhr or Charvel.....

the sunburst on the right, is another story.......! LOL

point is, if you have a max dollar limit, that will more or less fine tune what you can do....
but once you get to a point where you know what you really like,
for me,
it's always a custom build.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

robbyk
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/12 15:52:55 (permalink)
spacey

Why? Because he'll get what he feels is right. If he doesn't recognize the quality of a high-end guitar he doesn't need it anyway.
If he isn't happy with it down the road you won't be part of the reason but then could be part of making it better-maybe a guitar he does like.

If he doesn't know the basic differences between electric guitars; short-scale vs. long, HB vs Singles, hard-tail vs trem, solid body vs semi-solid, tilt/angle neck vs straight, fret size (sm vs lrg) -neck contours - maybe wood choices, etc......point them out to him.

Of course...I'd ask him about all those specifics along with aesthetics and build it.

Perhaps I should have quoted your whole post, I think I rarely do that. Perhaps my brevity has to do with the 10" of snow and 1/3 mile of roadway I have to hand shovel yesterday and today. Whoo hoo! Anyway, let's have another go at this :)

The fun (the fun I am having with this) is (only) doing it together (with my son) and talking about it (beforehand), but the (your good point, Spacey) point is (well) taken.

...as opposed to me dictating my lack of great ideas upon him. I only get to see him once or twice a year and I've often been in the hospital on a number of those recent visits.

But adding on to your point which is a good one, I agree and really do not intend to coach him much because I know very little about guitars, and equipment, and hardware and intonation and pickups and strings and tuners and online retailers and luthiers. I only know I love to sit down with my acoustic and play and sing for myself and the Lord. That's why I am delighted to have received help from you and so many others on this topic.

As a side point, I've had two guitars in my life, my beloved Gibson acoustic and a US Masters electric hand build by my good friend Dave Regenberg. I don't have a fender or a Gibson or any of the mainstays and know nothing about them.

But to add on to all that, I'd again like to thank everybody as my son and I have already shared half a dozen emails and phone calls discussing some of the above responses, it's been a hoot!

It's too bad he'll only be home a few days and then back to CA. We won't have time to look at much as I suspect GC will be packed like sardines!

Anyhow anticipation is 9/10ths the fun, and because of all the wonderful responses here, we are really have fun on this. Know that whatever he decides, your help was a big part of what will be one of his lifelong purchases :)

Thanks everybody once again! Time to put the snow boots on and get back to it...

Best, Robby K 

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
Studio
spacey
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/12 16:46:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robbyk 2016/12/13 18:34:46
Robby,
I envy you. I would love nothing more in the world than to spend time with my son talking and even shopping for guitars.

I'm glad my opinion may be of some value. It's nice for one to know about such things as neck contours so they can feel/experience/know of the differences...but I couldn't suggest to anyone to purchase a particular guitar. Not even my son, if I could.

I do believe that the most valuable advise I could offer my son is...whichever guitar you choose for your first...keep it. Never get rid of it. Out of all the guitars I own and I own too many I have my '63 Harmony. It's seen many changes I major ones recently but that's not what matters. It's the one that really started it all.

All the specifics that one may like today in a guitar may change in time, probably will, so feeling right and wanting to spend time with it is more valuable than anything else. I know you know. My best for a great trip with your son.

Michael

BASSJOKER
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 247
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/12 16:49:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robbyk 2016/12/13 18:35:04
The fun is doing it together and talking about it, but the point is taken, he works at UCLA and is a director of photography in the film industry as well, I'm sure he'll do what he wants. But I've been playing since the 60s and he only recently, so it's nice of him to ask around the old crew :)

That's cool he is asking/sharing with ya ....nothing better than family music moments  ;o)
Surely he will find that magic wood with your wisdom and guidance...

-Steve

MC7, Lexicon Alpha, Win10,Toshiba,Sat L955,Intel I5 1.7G, 6G Ram, 64 Bit,  Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Marshall, Vox, Ashdown

JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/12 19:40:14 (permalink)
spacey

Is this your first week on the internet? It is extremely common to quote only part of a reply on internet forums. It doesn't mean the person doing the quoting is ignoring or disagreeing with parts of the post not quoted. 
spacey
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/13 08:11:14 (permalink)
JohanSebatianGremlin
spacey

Is this your first week on the internet? It is extremely common to quote only part of a reply on internet forums. It doesn't mean the person doing the quoting is ignoring or disagreeing with parts of the post not quoted. 

No it's not my first post. You'd know that if you were interested in that rather than jumping my ass.

It is common for people to quote a portion of a post and remark about it out of context which is exactly what happened. I don't have a problem calling them on it either. If you don't like that...your problem and while you're dealing with my ass....give it a big kiss.
JohanSebatianGremlin
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/13 08:30:41 (permalink)
I was just making an observation and pointing it out. If you're ok with sounding like a whiny child and people considering you as much, then who am I to deny you that honor? Forget I mentioned anything.
spacey
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/13 08:36:44 (permalink)
I was just making an observation and pointing it out. If you're ok with sounding like a whiny child and people considering you as much, then who am I to deny you that honor? Forget I mentioned anything.

FU

Been around here long enough to know you're another one of those that misread posts and then resort to name calling and talk about childish behavior.
JohanSebatianGremlin
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/13 08:44:35 (permalink)
Is this really the time and place to discuss ancient Chinese wine vessels?
spacey
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/13 09:05:10 (permalink)
JohanSebatianGremlin
Is this really the time and place to discuss ancient Chinese wine vessels?

With you?
Personally I've lived almost 62 yrs without talking with you and I could finish the remaining years without talking with you.
If you hadn't confronted and insulted me with something that was none of your business-due to your lack of reading comprehension skills we wouldn't be talking now.

If you want to continue whining about your misgivings you'll need to find somebody else. I have no desire to converse with you about anything. You're welcome to continue and have the last word on your slow boat to China or wherever it is you plan on going with this.
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/13 09:24:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robbyk 2016/12/13 18:35:47
Sheesh, guys. The topic is guitars, not religion. (Granted, for some it might be a fine distinction.)

This thread needs to get back on topic.

Anyhow, everybody knows Gibsons and Fenders suck and all the best players use Schecter.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
JohanSebatianGremlin
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/13 09:53:45 (permalink)
I agree. Spacey was the one who wanted to talk about Chinese wine containers. I thought it was a little weird myself but he claims to know guitars so I figured he must understand how the two are related even though no one else does. 

wikipedia
[Fu or FU may refer to:

In arts and entertainment[edit]

• Fǔ, a type of ancient Chinese vessel

Back on track now. For the OP, after reading your clarification of your relationship and the background of both you and your son, I'd agree the best course is to enjoy heck out of this process with your son but don't try too hard to steer him for whatever it is he's decided he wants. 

His focus and his goals for this instrument are going to be different than the focus and goals of most of the people on this forum. IOW the right guitar for him, might not be the right guitar for most of us. I would buy a mexi-strat and mod it till it was what I wanted. Or I would build from parts. But lots of aspects that are important to me, will probably not matter at all to him because he's going to be doing different things with the instrument than I would. So I strongly suspect he could find an off the shelf american strat that speaks to him and be completely happy with it for many years to come.

Best of luck to you both. Let us know how it goes.
BASSJOKER
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 247
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/13 11:31:03 (permalink)
Thanks Bit....for chilling out the mood around here....Really....I don't get why people don't utilize the PM (PRIVATE MESSAGE) System on here if anyone takes a post in the wrong way and need to vent/clarify...? (serious question...no offense or malice toward any parties involved) ....because it just takes us all on a trip we don't need to be a part of on any said topic/thread.   Sorry... I just had to put that out there....most seem to ignore my posts anyhow...lol  
 Keep on pick'n 'n Grinnin'  while ya can...   ;o)

-Steve

MC7, Lexicon Alpha, Win10,Toshiba,Sat L955,Intel I5 1.7G, 6G Ram, 64 Bit,  Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Marshall, Vox, Ashdown

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/13 12:43:16 (permalink)
Yea, it's probably the best idea to let the person who'll be playing the guitar make the decision on what they want.

With the exceptions being if something is clearly not right about that particular guitar, which is unlikely if it's a US or MIM Fender. Or if they want a vintage-style Strat and also want to play modern dark-toned mid-scooped and heavily distorted metal, a combination that's likely not to be ideal.

While they're at it they ought to try a Gibson/Epiphone or two as well, some people find the Fender scale length a bit of a stretch and the shorter Gibson scale length and lower string tension easier to cope with.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
JohanSebatianGremlin
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/13 12:59:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2016/12/13 23:54:17
Definitely second the recommendation to go play some Gibson/Epiphone before deciding. In fact, go on a fact finding mission and play as many types and brands as you can. And make sure he tries some hollow and semi hollow body stuff too. He might pick up a Gretsch or a Rickenbacker and fall in love.
jeteague
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/13 13:00:50 (permalink)
Well back to guitars:  Batsbrew, you really have me thinking about a custom build for me.  I like the look of the USAAG people.  Do you (or anyone else here) have recommendations for other custom builders? 
batsbrew
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/13 14:38:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robbyk 2016/12/13 18:36:28
jeteague
Well back to guitars:  Batsbrew, you really have me thinking about a custom build for me.  I like the look of the USAAG people.  Do you (or anyone else here) have recommendations for other custom builders? 

wow jeteague,
i had given up on this thead due to all the childish bickering.

i'm a child too,
and bicker elsewhere.
LOL

there are literally hundreds of talented builders (spacy),
but out of all the 'aftermarket' guitar builders and parts makers,
i decided i liked USACG the best.

their necks are without parallel, IMHO

they don't do as many mods to standard shapes,
but the ones they do, are excellent.

i bought all my parts, and hired a talented local luthier to 'build' it for me.

i had a list of specs and requirements (extra fret dressing wasn't required, but a custom nut was),
and i let him do the initial bridge setup with a nice strobe,
but then i did all the rest of the tweaks.

my build:
USACG body and neck.
body: Lightweight Alder 2-piece, with a contoured heel, side jack, tummy route, fall-away cut out on the back side of the bottom bout for upper fret access.
neck: hardrock maple neck, with a pau ferro fingerboard. 6150 frets, 1-5/8" nut width. small fender-style headstock.
--Gibson scale length neck, 22 frets, fingerboard radius, of 12". the shape of the neck is a thin "C" shape, with a .78" neck thickness at the 1st fret, up to .85 at the 13th, mother of pearl dot inlays.
vintage truss with access at face of headstock.
headstock: tiltback design, 13 degrees, graphtech nut.
Bridge: Hipshot 6 String US Contour Tremolo Chrome with stainless tone bar.
pickups: humbucker-single-single, Bill Lawrence L-500L and L-280s (n & m)
Q filter for master tone, and a master volume. (500k pots)
Scratchplate: done by Warmoth, it's a slightly custom shape, with the 1st volume knob hole removed, and my luthier cut the hole for the Lawrence pickup (not a standard size) to match.
Paint: originally done by a local luthier. later slightly damaged in a flood.
the lighter version, done by USACG custom guitars, it's all NITRO, and very very thin. I instructed them to make it as thin as possible, wear is not a concern to me.

cost breakdown:

neck-$246
body-$170
pickups-2x40 + 1x50=$130
Q filter- $20
bridge w/steel sustain block-$120 (luthier's price)
custom warmoth scratchplate-$35
tremsetter- $40
custom finish-$300
Sperzel tuners-$65
sheilding - $20
odd hardware -  $40

i'd say, that besides the gibson scale length, 
and the 2 post trem,
the single biggest 'design deviation' for this build, was the tilt back headstock.

the tiltback bolsters the tuning stability more than almost anything else...
except, maybe this:

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/13 15:22:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robbyk 2016/12/13 18:37:46
The OP might also want to checkout one of the newer MusicMan Cutlass guitars.
This is basically a MusicMan take on a Strat.
Good build-quality and hardware (won't need to change anything) and also have a noise-canceling circuit
Price is pretty fair all things considered...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Klaus
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 320
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/13 18:41:04 (permalink)
batsbrew

the tiltback bolsters the tuning stability more than almost anything else...
except, maybe this:

What's that??

And more important, where can I get it? 

I tried building my own David Gilmour "Black Strat" (not from a tree , I only assembled the choosen parts) and I want encourage everyone in trying to do it the DIY-way.

It's fun, not very hard to do, and, if the parts/components are in decent quality, the result probably isn't that bad.

But seriously, batsbrew, could you provide a link to this spring "mod"?

SONAR Platinum 
RME HDSPe AIO - Windows 10 64bit - Intel i7 2600K - 16 GB RAM

batsbrew
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/13 18:58:46 (permalink)
that is a Hipshot Tremsetter.
these devices have been available for many years,
a lot of pros use them...

steve vai actually uses two of them at once, in tandem:

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

tlw
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/13 23:50:22 (permalink)
The tremsetter's been made by a couple of companies over the years, currently Hipshot.

It's a simple but brilliant idea. It replaces the centre tremolo spring with one that compresses rather than stretches. The tension on it is adjustable, and once set up it will return a floating vintage tremolo to tune very well. At least, it does on my modified MIM with two springs in the cavity plue the tremsetter and a set of Fender 150 0.010’s. The centre of the trem travel feels like there's a detente there, or at least a bit like a pot with a centre detente.

It does seem to need the trem arm moving slightly more than a "normal" setup before things start happening and does alter the feel of the trem a bit. But personally I wouldn't be without one, it makes a bridge floated with the back of the bridge high enough to give a semtitone or a bit more up-bend stable, dampens out "trem flutter" issues when you hit the strings hard. String bending is also easier because the bridge is less likely to move so you get less of the trem bridge problem that while your fingers bend the note upward the string is also pulling on the bridge plate which rises, flattens the note you're playing and fights you.

They're easy enough to fit. You do need to drill a narrow hole in the body from the trem cavity towards the neck to accomodate a long thin rod that runs through the tremsetter body, but it's no big deal if you can drill reasonably straight. After that it's just a matter of adjusting it to get the feel and bridge float you want. I've found it helps on a six-screw vintage style bridge if the screws, especially the central four, are backed off a bit as well so they steady the bridge some but don't prevent it moving easily.

It's a product Fender ought to offer as standard in my opinion.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
jeteague
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/14 13:03:49 (permalink)
Thanks to Batsbrew for posting all this information.  Beautiful guitars, by the way.
   I had heard of the tremolo mod, but seeing these pictures, I actually know what it is.  All great stuff!
batsbrew
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/14 13:46:18 (permalink)
i think that, for strat style guitars,
the addition of the tremsetter,
and the addition of a LSR roller nut (ala the jeff beck sig models) is about the best mod for trem users out there.

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts/string-guides-nuts/lsr-roller-nut/0990812000.html

alas, i can't use one, because they only make them for the necks with wider nuts than what i like.

i have locking Kahler trems on my other custom guitars,
but the kahler doesn't look good on a strat,
and a lot of strat users just can't get past the aesthetics of the look versus simply having an excellent playing machine that the trem never goes out of tune on....

players like adrian belew and todd rundgren use Kahler's on their fender-style guitars....

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

Klaus
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 320
Re: Strat mods 2016/12/14 15:33:27 (permalink)

Thanks batsbrew and tlw (great review, btw, much appreciated)!

I don't use a floating tremolo on my "Black Strat"-mod, but maybe it's something for my Ibanez, which has a Floyd Rose style trem.

Currently it's modded with a Tremol-No (almost same purpose as the Tremsetter).
https://www.allparts.com/...o-Pin-Type_p_1033.html

Not bad at all (at least, the "locked" mode is quite useful. Interesting, how drastically the sound changes going from floating tremolo mode to "no tremolo - locked mode", sustain- and harmonic-wise).

But on the "floating" side, there's always room for improvements, so maybe I should give the Tremsetter a try.

Best,
Klaus

SONAR Platinum 
RME HDSPe AIO - Windows 10 64bit - Intel i7 2600K - 16 GB RAM

robbyk
Re: Strat mods 2017/01/09 19:59:09 (permalink)
My son decided on a Mexican strat that he will then modify, the pickups, the bone nut, etc...the Guitar Center crew was very helpful as we spent a couple of hours going over the choices but we had a good solid background beforehand on questions to ask, etc. from the expert help above. Thanks to all. Here's Dad foolin' around with a choice similar to what he will purchase. However, he intends to pick up his own guitar in Los Angeles in a little while.

Well trust me, I don't seem to be able to post images anymore, but it was nice lookin'...The guitar, I mean :)

Best, Robby K 

Music 
Studio
tlw
Re: Strat mods 2017/01/10 06:50:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robbyk 2017/01/10 12:45:30
Personally I wouldn't use a bone nut unless the trem is going to be blocked or the Strat is a hard-tail. One of Graphtec's teflon impregnated nuts does at least as good a job for tone and sustain while letting the strings slide over the nut a little more easily. These nuts are most commonly black, but I think they look fine. They're also very easy to fit with a correct curve to the bottom of the nut and usually require little work if any other than a small dab of white glue to hold them in place. Bone nuts are very hard and tend to clog files so shaping and slotting them is a slow and tedious job.

The addition of a very small amount of Nut Sauce to the nut, string trees and bridge pivot screws helps as well.

batsbrew
Re: Strat mods 2017/01/10 12:17:33 (permalink)
that's great he settled on something he liked,
and it'll become more his 'own' as he does these mods..
these are very typical mods,
and a great way to get started in the great 'tone search'

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

robbyk
Re: Strat mods 2017/01/10 12:47:31 (permalink)
batsbrew
that's great he settled on something he liked,
and it'll become more his 'own' as he does these mods..
these are very typical mods,
and a great way to get started in the great 'tone search'

Ahh, the never ending great 'tone search', one of the better and most enjoyable walks through this life that I have found!

Best, Robby K 

Music 
Studio
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1