Helpful ReplyLockedOLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Bristol_Jonesey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/09 07:48:46 (permalink)
Someone crawled out of the bed the wrong side, or was it the womb?

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Thedoccal
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 290
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/09 09:24:01 (permalink)
Craig Anderton is a hero on this forum and a personal hero of mine since 1983 and his
"Electronics Projects for Musicians".  Which I bought.  With money.
I've been meaning to buy that Tip of The week book for awhile and I will be sure to get it tomorrow.
With money.
Thanks Craig. 

http://www.catastrophelounge.com
The NeckDive Strap - NEW^^
Sonar: Platinum Lifetime/Computer: i7-870, 16GB RAM, AMD R9 380 graphics, Windows 10 (Pro x64)/500gb SSD C:, Barracuda sample(3T) and projects(1T) drives/3 Display Monitors (2&3 split)/Audio Interface: Behringer UFX1604 USB/Firewire/USB Stick/MIDI: Roland A-800Pro, Keystation Pro 88, Roland UM-3G:/Hardware Synths: Korg M3, Yamaha MOX6, Roland TD-8
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/09 17:27:01 (permalink)

The first 52 TotW's are still floating around on the web if you search for them...

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/09 20:47:39 (permalink)
FettsVett
To add to that, Craig...most users aren't here for tips.

This forum is billed as "Discussion focused on the use of SONAR software." Tips fall under that category, and I'm by far not the only one offering tips via this forum. Other than your comment, I've never seen any comments from the community that tips are unwelcome.

In any event, over 516,200 views for Friday's tip of the week would seem to indicate at least some degree of interest in tips.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/09 22:00:23 (permalink)
FettsVett
kenny, thanks. In these threads, it's pretty much a wade through the crap until you find your answer...and the USERS who have been here for 10+ years deserve the credit just as much as Craig does. In that spirit of wading through the crap, Craig should have just left this thread up and let us do just that. Why am I paying extra for what should be in an updated Sonar Platinum manual? Wading through the crap is what all user forums are about. Just leave it up. I, for one, felt resentment about paying for it, and it didn't solve most of my problems. Cakewalk needs to update their manuals and be more helpful in the documentation as the software develops.

Hello FettsVett ,

Yikes,
What ever I said in this thread before is what I felt at that time ...
While reading my own words after so much time has passed has me wondering if I was going through a phase where I was trying to swallow swords and spit flames out of my mouth ...

For the record , I'm on-board with trying to learn what I can about using SONAR VIA Craig's guidance and writings.   .
I bought the book . I feel it was worth the money .

FWIW, I don't feel and ounce of negativity towards anyone here on the forum  ..that includes a recent run-in with a fella who came at me with all guns a blazing in one of my recent song forum postings .

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

FettsVett
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 83
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/09 23:26:23 (permalink)
"Yawn, another internet tough guy hiding behind an anonymous name. Nothing to see here." -Craig Anderton

My response: Resorting to ad hominems is really unprofessional. Something I'm pretty sure I didn't do in this thread, but I could be wrong.

I don't feel any negativity towards the people that have tried to help me in this forum either. Cakewalk, and specifically Craig, that might be another story. I may have gotten in tiffs with regular forum members, but it was due to misunderstandings. I'm just tired of this program. And the members that have tried to help me are not responsible for the program, so I can't hold a grudge against them. Craig, however, is responsible.
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/10 00:03:51 (permalink)
I don't think you can hold him "responsible for the program'.

If you are tired of the program (SONAR), find something else that suits you better, and move on, I did, there are arguably (it's are personal thing as to which is better or not) better solutions out there, solutions which will better suit your needs, your way of working, what you expect from a DAW etc. There is no point banging your head against this wall, you wont win, over the years I have seen it time and time again, in the end you will just be shouted down, and baffled with BS, and eventually the minions will just pile on to bring about your demise, seen it here many a time when some one points out SONAR's deficiencies or issues, or speaks negatively against SONAR or Cakewalk (and no, it doesn't happen in every case, still), it's as if you have just had sex with their mother, or pee'd in their coffee or something, quite bizarre, it's just Software. Just state your grievances and move on, don't engage, you wont win. If like me you have Lifetime Membership, you can always keep an eye on things and maybe one day you will want to return. I still have a quick mess around with a new release every now and then to see how it is going.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

FettsVett
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/10 00:52:02 (permalink)
@Matron: Thanks for that moment of solidarity. I have made the decision to go to Ableton. Sonar will remain on my rig for basic recording and audio editing, but I've seen videos of people using Ableton with a lot more ease than Sonar with softsynths. So I am just going to pipe Ableton into Sonar via SPDIF from my laptop and stop struggling trying to get Sonar to work properly with softsynths. (This works out ok also because I will save CPU load for mixing).

Craig Anderton is the executive vice president of Gibson:http://archive.gibson.com/absolutenm/templates/FeatureTemplatePressRelease.aspx?articleid=1362&zoneid=6
Your claims that he is not responsible for Cakewalk are simply not true. He may not be directly responsible for the software, but he has influence over Cakewalk.

Also, I know my handle only says I've been here two years. I've been a Sonar user since 8.5, but back then I didn't have many problems and I wasn't doing the complicated things I am doing now with MIDI. I also paid for several upgrades in SonarX until paying for a lifetime updates membership deal. So I've been here awhile and I know what's up.
post edited by FettsVett - 2017/08/10 02:06:47
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/10 01:14:08 (permalink)
test, darn forum

Best of luck with it, and if it works for you, you are on to a winner. No point wasting time with something that is not working for you if there is a better alternative available, better to be happy and productive than always headbutting the brick wall. There are so many different systems out there, something that works well for one will not necessarily work well for another, and it may not be personally worth the effort involved in some cases to follow workarounds or search out a remedy for the problem when there is something else that will just work as expected from the get go, same with the way we work, not everyone works the same, and somethings just suit our needs better than others.

Best of luck

[Edit- didn't see that last part when I first read] Yes he would have some influence, how much and what areas of influence is the thing. My thoughts over the years is that Cakewalk will do what they choose, and as far as user requests etc are concerned, as long as they line up with their preset agenda they will be done, and if not they likely wont. There of course would be exceptions (no long lists required). Anderton has spoke in the past about certain things he has had influence in, but I think that influence may not be as deep as some assume, of course he or Gibson may be able to wield the 'big stick' as it were, not sure that would be something any of the parties involved would gel with, I think Cakewalk is basically left to their own devices mostly, but then I don't really know, it's just what I think from what I have have observed and heard.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

FettsVett
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/10 01:55:18 (permalink)
When you leave people to their own devices when you are manager, that's called negligence. I've worked for a company where upper management never intervened. I left that company.
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/10 13:38:42 (permalink)
FettsVett
I've worked for a company where upper management never intervened. I left that company.

And then you came to the Cakewalk forums to vent ?

Life is too short to let software get under your skin. You cant always blame others.
If you don't like something in life, make a change. be bold, move on to new heights (new software).

I've always come to this forum to help people or ask for help. I never viewed this forum as a soapbox to air out my issues.
We paid for the software, not this forum. So if I want to make a personal gripe, I do it on Facebook or Twitter.

Best wishes

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Anderton
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/10 15:24:16 (permalink)
FettsVett
Craig Anderton is the executive vice president of Gibson:http://archive.gibson.com/absolutenm/templates/FeatureTemplatePressRelease.aspx?articleid=1362&zoneid=6
Your claims that he is not responsible for Cakewalk are simply not true. He may not be directly responsible for the software, but he has influence over Cakewalk.

Now that you're deciding who has influence over Cakewalk, could you please inform the company of your findings . If I actually did have influence over Cakewalk, a lot of things would be done differently. Cakewalk is an independent division with its own management team. I can recommend and contribute, which I do on a regular basis. But I did that before I joined Gibson, as do many of the people on this forum.

The expansion packs, presets, etc. result from my using them in my own projects. I just "harvest" them for these releases. I've been using SONAR since 2000 and have accumulated a lot of useful stuff. I guess the only real difference is now I give all this away for free instead of getting royalties.

Right now most of my time is devoted to continuing Harmony Central's growth, working on aspects of the Gibson USA guitars, and helping Gibson Repair & Restoration have a higher profile. My main contribution to Cakewalk currently is Tech+Music magazine, but I don't think it's any secret that my plans are to develop it into a more general-readership publication over time. Cakewalk provides an excellent launching pad.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/10 16:13:57 (permalink)
FettsVett
"Yawn, another internet tough guy hiding behind an anonymous name. Nothing to see here." -Craig Anderton

My response: Resorting to ad hominems is really unprofessional. Something I'm pretty sure I didn't do in this thread, but I could be wrong.

This is a text-only medium. You necroed a complaint thread you started and where your original question was answered in depth, so you could use this platform to post three complaint posts in a row about the forum, me, SONAR, re-iterating your complaint that the tips had been converted into a book, complaining that bugs in the software aren't being fixed (even though if you look over the release notes for the past couple years you'll see a ton of fixes and speed improvements), and likened this forum to wading through crap. Ironically, a major reason for turning the tip of the week into a book was so people didn't have to wade through anything to get the info in the most efficient way possible. 

You're welcome to extrapolate your experience into assuming others have the same experience, but that simply isn't the case. The people with links to music made with SONAR speak for themselves. 

What elicited the "internet tough guy" comment was the "Ban me if you want. You will only hurt Sonar's reputation," not your previous posts. 

I don't have a problem with anyone personally. For all I know you're a swell guy who adopts shelter dogs and helps old ladies cross streets. But, I do have a problem with non-constructive negativity. There's a big difference between a rant about how something sucks compared to someone saying "I really need to be able to choose among individual controllers in the PRV." Enough people agreed that something was done about it. 

Go to any internet forum for any DAW and you'll endless lists of "This doesn't work, your support sucks, why don't you fix things" and that's why many companies are shutting down forums altogether. Cakewalk offers this platform as a service to its community and I would hope the community would take advantage of its intended purpose, which is "Discussion focused on the use of SONAR software."

Finally, note that my sig specifically states my comments are personal and do not represent Cakewalk or Gibson. If you don't like what I say, don't blame either one of them. I take responsibility for what I say and if I misinterpreted your motivation for coming here because you sincerely thought you were doing something positive, I apologize. 

FettsVett
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/10 23:44:31 (permalink)
Craig, your ridiculous tirade above does not absolve you from your condescension into using an ad hominem. Let me put you in your place here: I am a customer. If you continue to treat your customers like this, word will break out and Sonar will sink even lower in reputation than it already has. I am reading countless GS posts right now with the same sentiment.
FettsVett
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/10 23:47:11 (permalink)
@Chuck, I will do you one better than Fb and Twitter. I have already submitted a review to Amazon, Sweetwater and Musician's Friend.
 I let this software get under my skin because I've spent almost $1000 on it, and probably cumulatively a year trying to get it to do what I want (and it still doesn't). Of course, that would get under anyone's skin.

"This forum is a service".....

Well, yeah. I have no other choice but to use it since there is little Customer Support, which is also a service that I'm supposed to have, but don't. Basically, you have to keep this forum open otherwise people would absolutely have no help at this stage. So I'm not going to give this company brownie points simply by maintaining a forum. It's something imo, most companies should (and do) have.

@Craig: As a CEO of Gibson, you're telling me that you're powerless to affect change at a subsidiary company. That's pretty embarrassing. That makes me think less of Gibson.
post edited by FettsVett - 2017/08/11 00:37:27
Bflat5
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 421
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/11 02:17:35 (permalink)
There are some really f**Ked up comments in here. I don't see how it's Craig's or Cakewalks responsibility to teach anyone anything or provide, for free, tutorials on learning it. The weekly tips Craig provides are very cool and I personally learned a lot from them and I appreciate the effort that goes into it.

Custom PC running Windows 10 64, i7 CPU, 32gigs of RAM, Focusrite 18i20, Sonar Platinum.

Jackson USA and Custom Shop Guitars and Basses
Takamine And Fender Acoustics
Marshall JVM 410H and JCM 800
BOSS FX (Mostly)
Gain Junkies Forum << Come join us. It's all about Rock & Roll!
Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/11 02:47:01 (permalink)
+1
For someone who has supposedly happily moved to Ableton the OP spends a lot of time pissing and moaning here. And pretending to speak for a supposed majority of disgruntled users.
I'm a VP of nothing but my own small studio, which happily uses and endorses Sonar Platinum - for life.

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
RSMCGUITAR
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1318
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/11 05:16:16 (permalink)
This guy is what we in the business call an 'a-hole'
Bristol_Jonesey
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/11 07:43:40 (permalink)
FettsVett
Craig, your ridiculous tirade above does not absolve you from your condescension into using an ad hominem. Let me put you in your place here: I am a customer. If you continue to treat your customers like this, word will break out and Sonar will sink even lower in reputation than it already has. I am reading countless GS posts right now with the same sentiment.

Word will only break out because people like YOU spread lies and misinformation.
GS is full of such people so it's no surprise that you are "reading countless GS posts right now with the same sentiment."

Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Brando
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/11 10:35:56 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey
FettsVett

Word will only break out because people like YOU spread lies and misinformation.
GS is full of such people so it's no surprise that you are "reading countless GS posts right now with the same sentiment."

I never visit GS at all - I pulled up a recent thread there last night to see if I could gauge the current sentiment. Surprisingly balanced and lots and lots of users speaking up favourably for SONAR - some recognisable from here too - along with the inevitable detractors. I don't honestly know what motivates people like the OP - choose a DAW that works for you and make the music that makes you happy.

Brando
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
Bristol_Jonesey
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/11 10:51:33 (permalink)
Brando
Bristol_Jonesey
FettsVett

I never visit GS at all - I pulled up a recent thread there last night to see if I could gauge the current sentiment. Surprisingly balanced and lots and lots of users speaking up favourably for SONAR - some recognisable from here too - along with the inevitable detractors. I don't honestly know what motivates people like the OP - choose a DAW that works for you and make the music that makes you happy.

I think it's been better "over there" since they installed the new DAW specific forums

Brando
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/11 12:05:59 (permalink)
That's encouraging. KVR is the next untamed wilderness. LOL. (But I like it here apart from the occasional campaign).

Brando
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/11 14:59:49 (permalink)
FettsVett
Craig, your ridiculous tirade above does not absolve you from your condescension into using an ad hominem.

An ad hominem attack is certainly frowned upon in a reasoned, evidence based debate. It is entirely acceptable, however, when used to call someone out for being a dick on a forum.  

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
Anderton
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/11 15:08:44 (permalink)
FettsVett
@Craig: As a CEO of Gibson, you're telling me that you're powerless to affect change at a subsidiary company. That's pretty embarrassing. That makes me think less of Gibson.

I'm not the CEO of anything. Get your facts straight. I have a specific gig at Gibson, and it does not involve being Cakewalk's management. If you don't know what an "independent division" is, I can elaborate.

Anderton
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/11 15:52:55 (permalink)
FettsVett

People here will tell you how I treat customers. I offer assistance and advice to anyone who comes here to learn, share, or have problems that need to be solved. You started this thread and you dredged it up again almost half a year later specifically for the purpose of venting. It contributes nothing to those who come here to focus on the use of SONAR software.

As to "ad hominem," that is a logical fallacy where someone attacks a person in place of addressing their arguments. I already addressed your arguments, such as they are. Identifying you as an "internet tough guy" after your "Ban me if you want. You will only hurt Sonar's reputation" statement was a commentary that represents my opinion. There is no forum rule that states only you can express opinions.

I understand that for whatever reason, you do not want to engage in a two-way discussion. You prefer instead to dismiss reasoned responses that address your points as a "ridiculous tirade." So be it. I think scook, one of the most helpful and level-headed people on this forum, probably said it best in a response to one of your previous rants: "I do wish you well with your endeavors but cannot understand the chip you are carrying around. Complain away if it makes you feel better and by all means blame me for your poor attitude."

chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: OLD Craig Anderton Tip of the Week thread location 2017/08/11 16:46:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tenfoot 2017/08/12 00:12:44
Shouldn't this thread be locked by now. No one is really learning anything or benefiting from it.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1