Helpful ReplyTired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user...

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Unknowen
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/06 19:21:03 (permalink)
When I got back into music and wanted to record demos I stated looking... I had used Cakewalk as my midi end in 1990. Now I was looking for audio recording... Cakewalk, ProTools or whatever?. As I stated buying gear, many came with DAWs... I liked none of them. Then I was looking into protools and I hit YouTube. There where some students at some collage getting ready to record with protools in their fancy school recording studio. They got everything setup and hit recorded... the whole system crashed and the guy said "typical of protools"... that was it. lol
I went and grabbed Home Studio 4.... :)

Hay look,
Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019
blazingedgepro
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 26
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/06 20:10:12 (permalink)
Sonar? Buggy? Compared to Pro Tools? Pro Tools is the buggiest piece of s*** you can find anywhere. I was forced to use it for a sound design class, and it was a nightmare from beginning to end. I will never use Pro Tools again. Sonar is the best DAW around, period.
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/07 02:49:29 (permalink)
Just tell anyone who hassles you that "SONAR is for people who think for themselves." End of story.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
doment500
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 151
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/07 03:56:04 (permalink)
I think everyone is being a little "politically correct" with their responses. Allow me to be on the nose with it:
Sonar is a great DAW!

1. Your track sounds awesome!
2. Most people follow the crowd and feel intimidated when presented that is better than theirs. (Kinda like penile envy)
3. Your track sounds awesome!
4. Please share some of your technique old great one!

Pay me or the chicken gets it!
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/07 04:09:51 (permalink)
doment500
I think everyone is being a little "politically correct" with their responses. Allow me to be on the nose with it:
Sonar is a great DAW!

[snip]

Are you referring to my stuff, or the multitude of cool music found in peoples' sigs? If mine, I can share techniques. Ifothers...you'll have to ask them 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
doment500
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 151
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/07 04:15:18 (permalink)
Anderton
doment500
Sonar is a great DAW!

[snip]

Are you referring to my stuff, or the multitude of cool music found in peoples' sigs? If mine, I can share techniques. Ifothers...you'll have to ask them 

Mr. Anderton... You know are the G.O.A.T. with Cakewalk! I love all the knoweledge you share with us all! 
PJH, if you are willing to share, I'm all hears!

Pay me or the chicken gets it!
PJH
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 599
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/07 04:22:47 (permalink)
doment500
Anderton
doment500
Sonar is a great DAW!

[snip]

Mr. Anderton... You know are the G.O.A.T. with Cakewalk! I love all the knoweledge you share with us all! 
PJH, if you are willing to share, I'm all hears!

Thanks for the comment, Doment. Much appreciated.
I've had a lot of great feedback from forum users regarding the track.

The review in my original post has a list of the gear used and the video does show the actual recording but as soon as I get some time (hopefully today) i'll put together a post about the entire recording process.

Cheers

Peter.
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/07 04:23:23 (permalink)
I guess it never bothered me much. I do like it when I get a semblance of recognition when I mention I use Sonar. All that means is I don't need to explain what it is. Most of the time no one knows what it is. However, I must say I find it great when I run across a fellow traveler. I had a conversation recently with a gal that knew what Sonar was because her brother uses it. He is a known composer and pianist.

That said it makes little interest to me that someone uses a different DAW.      

Best
John
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/07 05:08:53 (permalink)
Scoring film with Sonar and VSL -  Mission Impossible Rogue Nation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuRwcfVO9fs

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/07 06:18:02 (permalink)
JohanSebatianGremlin
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a file created in a text editor, should open just fine in pretty much any other text editor. That's not the case with DAW project files, so collaboration becomes an issue, or at the very least an additional challenge, when your friends are on a different platform.

If the collaboration is about mixing an existing recording, then this may be an issue. However for musical collaborations where the different contributers work on different parts of a song, then the ability to share audio files is usually sufficient. All DAWs can import and export WAVs. If musical collaborations depended on the different contributers having the same software, then there would be a lot less collaborations happening in the world.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
joel77
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 489
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/07 15:08:56 (permalink)
PJH

Since having the review go out I've received quite a number of emails from readers and the overwhelming question is:
"How did you manage to achieve this using SONAR???"

It still amazes me how many people think a great production is about the tools we use, when it's been shown time after time that a talented musician/arranger/producer can accomplice amazing results using SM57s and Garageband!

It's not about your tools, it's about your talent. And you obviously have talent in spades!! Great job!! Love the song.

Joel  Glaser
Studio 52     

God Bless America
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sonar x64, Win 7 Pro, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 
Intel i7-930 2.86GHz dual quad core, 12GB Corsair DDL3,
Asus ATI Radion HD 4350, WD 500 GB SATA, 
Dual WD 1TB SATA HDs, ME RayDAT, Alesis HD24XR - A/D-D/A

https://www.facebook.com/...dio-52/811309178917929
www.thebrothersglaser.com
Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/07 17:11:47 (permalink)
dwardzala
If they are a guitarist, just tell them that they should be playing a Fender or Gibson (whatever they're not playing) to be Pro and then walk away.  Or ask them how they play so well on a guitar that's not a Fender or Gibson.

its not the tool, its the carpenter!

I was thinking of the exact same analogy.
How can you play so well... with a guitar that's not a $5000+ Custom Shop model?
How can you play Fender, when John Suhr builds a better guitar?

For those who remember DAW software "back-in-the-day", cracked versions of Cubase were in heavy circulation.
On forums, you'd hear a lot of grumbling about how unstable Cubase VST was...
"Bug-infested pile of rubbish!"
Enough folks repeated this line... and it became "accepted truth".
Well... the legit copy of Cubase VST was not particularly unstable.

Just recently built a machine for Fred Coury (composer for TV/Film in LA - drummer for Cinderella).
When Fred is hired to compose, clients don't ask/care which tools are used to produce the music.
Fred is hired for his skills/results... not because he uses a particular software/tool.

If you like Sonar and it works well for you... then it's an effective tool.

If you admire a particular artist/musician, it *is* interesting to hear the details about what they're using... and how they create.  That's a completely different discussion.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/07 17:30:33 (permalink)
Excellent point... Creativity is the choice/application of tools, not that any tool makes creativity just happen.

BTW, I hammer in screws to cut down on the tools required in my kitchen - screwdriver and screw puller in the same handle!

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
PJH
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/07 18:08:15 (permalink)
joel77
PJH

Since having the review go out I've received quite a number of emails from readers and the overwhelming question is:
"How did you manage to achieve this using SONAR???"

It still amazes me how many people think a great production is about the tools we use, when it's been shown time after time that a talented musician/arranger/producer can accomplice amazing results using SM57s and Garageband!

It's not about your tools, it's about your talent. And you obviously have talent in spades!! Great job!! Love the song.

Thanks, Joel, 

Your comments are much appreciated. Glad you enjoyed the song.

Cheers

Peter.
greg_moreira
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 84
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/07 18:20:27 (permalink)
joel77

Most folks who inherently dont know any better think that great recordings are based on the "tools" available within the DAW.

In their minds...  One DAW comes with one set of tools.  Another DAW comes with another set of tools, which may or may not be a better set of tools than the first DAW.   

I bet most of us thought like this at one point or another.  When we first wanted to start recording things...  we figured the right DAW would provide everything needed for great sound.  Eventually we learned more about the importance of the signal chain, the smarts it takes to properly capture the sound, the smarts and practice it takes to get good at mixing, the techniques to employ to make mixes sound better....and we learned about plugins too.

we also learned that some of the plugins we really like are 3rd party and are available to practically anyone with any daw.

we probably didnt know all that to start, and we probably thought the DAW itself is more than what it actually is.....which is ultimately just a really convenient place to do all the things that ultimately matter more than the DAW itself.

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/07 18:36:42 (permalink)
Out of what some online polls have listed as the top 20 DAW's for 2016 / 2017 ....
I was surprised to find out that I have 12 of them ...I should feel great ..but I don't ....
What I have learned from the whole experience is one main reoccurring thought that I have had to confront and accept .
I found out that I was Jack of all of them DAW's and not a Master of even one of them  
Yeah OK , the truth hurts huh ? anyway I'm cool with it .
I'm over here busy working on it ....

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

greg_moreira
  • Total Posts : 84
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/07 19:13:52 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
Out of what some online polls have listed as the top 20 DAW's for 2016 / 2017 ....
I was surprised to find out that I have 12 of them ...I should feel great ..but I don't ....
What I have learned from the whole experience is one main reoccurring thought that I have had to confront and accept .
I found out that I was Jack of all of them DAW's and not a Master of even one of them  

Kenny

this is why I just stick with sonar.  My workflow is pretty ironed out.  I know what I like to do and I dont expect any substantial changes.  On a project by project basis, sure I might toss some elements of the workflow out.  And in the future I may stumble across some nice new things to add to my template.  But I cant think of anything that I really wish I could incorporate into my process that is simply impossible in sonar.  It does what I want.

What I find is no matter what daw you give me....  Im simply going to try and replicate what already works for me.  Id just be recreating the same chain in all of them.

now usually i find myself stopping to think too much and banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how to do it with other DAW's.  Not because they arent good.  

But simply because I dont know them nearly as well.

And I dont see any point in trying to know them nearly as well when all the effort will simply be spent in trying to organize my workflow in the same fashion I already have going in sonar.
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/08 16:41:57 (permalink)
greg_moreira
kennywtelejazz

Kenny

this is why I just stick with sonar.  My workflow is pretty ironed out.  I know what I like to do and I dont expect any substantial changes.  On a project by project basis, sure I might toss some elements of the workflow out.  And in the future I may stumble across some nice new things to add to my template.  But I cant think of anything that I really wish I could incorporate into my process that is simply impossible in sonar.  It does what I want.

What I find is no matter what daw you give me....  Im simply going to try and replicate what already works for me.  Id just be recreating the same chain in all of them.

now usually i find myself stopping to think too much and banging my head against the wall trying to figure out how to do it with other DAW's.  Not because they arent good.  

But simply because I dont know them nearly as well.

And I dont see any point in trying to know them nearly as well when all the effort will simply be spent in trying to organize my workflow in the same fashion I already have going in sonar.

Sure I understand exactly what you are saying . Your point of view makes perfect sense ...
Find a workflow that works for you while using SONAR and stick too it 
I happen to agree with you pretty much and in theory ,
SONAR does come with just about everything any professional producer / musician could possibly need up to a point 

You won't get an argument from me as far as how ahead of the curve SONAR is compared to much of the competition that's out there ... 
The thing is I'm also a firm believer in using what I do have to the best of my ability and then build it up from there ...

Regarding the time it takes to get good and the infinite amount hours of learning it takes to get fluent w a DAW such as SONAR or another top name  DAW  ....
I don't view it as any different than my journey playing the guitar ...there's always a lot to learn there too.
My running Joke is when SONAR 's learning curve starts kicking my butt to the point where I feel hopeless ,
I run to my guitar and just take out my frustrations there
I get frustrated a lot so here's what I'm working on now ....a SONAR song project that happens to be  a work in progress
https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson/song-for-my-father

nice rapping w you
all the best,

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2017/03/08 18:11:45

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

listen
  • Total Posts : 593
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/08 17:05:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rimshot 2017/03/08 20:58:06
The end product/s speak for themselves...

- Listen -
FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
Sh03e
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 39
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/08 17:09:40 (permalink)
Recently i made this track with SONAR for a client https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y50qUTrHdUA she never was really interested on what DAW i chose to work with her, the thing that she really cared about is how i design the sounds and atmosphere she wanted in the song, so what it matters is the final product, SONAR let me compose, produce and design sounds in a very comfortable space, that's all i care about  

P.S. Maaan your song reaaally rocks i liked a lot keep going and don't pay attention to the SONAR haters
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/08 20:18:48 (permalink)
I have yet to have impressed anyone with anything but the end product.

No one cares about the Mics.

No one has heard of RME.

Sonar is how we won wwii.

But the CDs... that gets their attention and me and my stuff are always welcome.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
nchardy
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/08 20:51:35 (permalink)
Awesome job!

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Intel i2700k
Asrock P67 Extreme 4 Gen-3
Corsiar GS-600 Power Supply
16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3
LG GH-24 Super-Multi DVD Writer
M-Audio Project Mix I/O
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Presonus Digimax LT
M-Audio Axiom 61 Midi Controller
Windows 7 64 bit
(2) Western Digital Hard drives.
Sonar X3 Producer
Walmart Lava lamp

PJH
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/09 14:12:21 (permalink)
Thank you, nchardy.

Cheers.
konradh
Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3325
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/09 16:14:11 (permalink)
This is like people who have Harleys and scorn people who ride Hondas.  Seriously, who cares?  They are both motorcycles with different features (and prices). Hey, your bike is cool.  His cost $6,000 less.  Whatever, dude.

One of my best music friends is a Logic Pro X user.  We share tips all the time and have never discussed a technique that didn't have a comparable function in both DAWs.  (Yesterday it was about marking transients and syncing audio with the wrong tempo to a current track.  I pulled stereo tracks of a group of people singing off my old VS-1680 to add to a new version of the song in Sonar that was at a slightly faster tempo.)

Konrad
Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/10 19:30:47 (permalink)
After reading this entire thread all I can say is +1 to most of the comments.  I use SONAR, others do not.   OK...  Next!  

And after listening to the tune, all I can say is that I wasn't the least bit surprised.   Peter's work is always top notch and this is certainly no exception.  Completely enjoyed every minute. 

PS... I'd love to know how it would sound better in Logicubastudioreapbase Tools.  

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

PJH
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/11 18:35:04 (permalink)
stevec
After reading this entire thread all I can say is +1 to most of the comments.  I use SONAR, others do not.   OK...  Next!  

And after listening to the tune, all I can say is that I wasn't the least bit surprised.   Peter's work is always top notch and this is certainly no exception.  Completely enjoyed every minute. 

PS... I'd love to know how it would sound better in Logicubastudioreapbase Tools.  

Thanks for your kind comments, Steve.
Much appreciated.
Cheers.
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Tired of feeling like I have to make excuses for being a Sonar user... 2017/03/12 09:11:29 (permalink)
konradh
One of my best music friends is a Logic Pro X user.  We share tips all the time and have never discussed a technique that didn't have a comparable function in both DAWs.  (Yesterday it was about marking transients and syncing audio with the wrong tempo to a current track.  I pulled stereo tracks of a group of people singing off my old VS-1680 to add to a new version of the song in Sonar that was at a slightly faster tempo.)

Here you touched upon something where Sonar clearly lacks. Although it does have "comparable functions" for working with audio that requires to be synced to tempo and vice versa, both workflows (audio snap, melodyne implementation) are only half baked at best, meaning that they do work somehow and between them you can get most of what you need to get done, but it usually comes with a LOT of frustration and a massive time investment, which are two things you don't need when you need to make deadlines (I just recently had a fair share of that experience myself) ... the DAW-that-must-not-be-named is supposedly really good at that.

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1