AnsweredSonar on touch screen, Track View - user experience, please

Author
shrike
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
2017/06/12 11:41:04 (permalink)

Sonar on touch screen, Track View - user experience, please

Hi all,
I have Sonar X3 on Windows 7 and am considering buying a touch screen. The thing is, I realy love hardware workstations and I really don't love computers, at least not for creating music. But for the last few years I've tried to accomodate to PC and DAW, mouse and keyboard, considering how much more powerful PC is when compared to a hardware workstation like Triton Extreme I used to have. Although I appreciate all that power, it's just not for me and I would really love to operate DAW on a touch screen like one does on a Korg Kronos and similar workstations. Going back to hardware workstation isn't viable option because of financial reasons. I have to use what I have already.
So, I would like to invest in a touch screen and already have a few models of choise. But I need to know (and would highly appreciate some user's experience here) whether Sonar when operated on touchscreen is capable of:
- moving clips in a track view, resizing clips, triming etc, usual operations one would do with a clip;
- edit clips in piano roll, all the usual stuff, deleting notes, inserting notes, moving notes around, resizing etc.

I'm very impressed with multitouch on mixer faders. But, let's be honest, what I need with clips and piano roll is essential part of the track creating process.

If Sonar doesn't support these things on touch screen, it's time for me to change my DAW of choice and that would be a bummer, since I really like Sonar.

Touch screen + mouse&keyboard combo isn't an option and I don't want that.

Thanks in advance.

Ivan
Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Sonar on touch screen, Track View - user experience, please 2017/06/12 12:28:30 (permalink)
Hi. Why not try a demo of the new SONAR Artist, Professional or Platinum?
It just came with some updates / new features regarding touch and pen usage in 2017.05.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/SONAR-201705-Update-Now-Available-m3613175.aspx
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

shrike
Re: Sonar on touch screen, Track View - user experience, please 2017/06/12 12:36:56 (permalink)
Well, I would need to buy touchscreen prior to testing any of those. There is really no shop here willing to let me test touchscreen in the shop. I considered this idea and sadly it isn't possible.
If I were to buy touchscreen monitor and let's say Sonar doesn't offer those functionalities in track view that I find esssential for my workflow, I would be stuck with a touchscreen I can't use with my DAW, so it would be a failed investment.
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Sonar on touch screen, Track View - user experience, please 2017/06/12 13:03:25 (permalink)
That's the dilemma we all face when buying new equipment and software; whether it suits our needs.

I have a 27" touch screen Raven (Slate Digital) that I use for Pro Tools on PC but as Sonar becomes more touch friendly I will use it more.

Pro tools is not touch friendly at all. The Raven software overlays a configurable screen over the PT interface the result is a touch friendly experience.

Not available yet for Sonar. But Sonar does have touch features that are being progressively enhanced so now I will be trying to use the Windows 10 native touch capability along with it.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
shrike
Re: Sonar on touch screen, Track View - user experience, please 2017/06/12 13:25:56 (permalink)
Mister Mike V.,

if I understood correctly, You own both a touch screen and Sonar (doesn't matter which version, probably some newer one) as we speak. Would You be so kind and do a quick test for me? Can you, using only touch screen and your fingers: open new session, arm one track for record, record some midi clip, move that clip left and right through track meassures, copy that clip to another track and edit/create/erase notes in that clip using piano roll view?
If You can do all that in Sonar, my dilemma is dilemma no more and I'm good to buy a touchscreen for myself.
Having a midi controller (A800pro) in front of me and touchscreen on top of it is almost as having a hardware workstation.
mudgel
Re: Sonar on touch screen, Track View - user experience, please 2017/06/13 14:34:50 (permalink)
Sorry but am unable to help at the moment.

At the moment my touch screen is setup to run Raven resulting in the Windows touch not operating.

When I'm ready to some testing I have to uninstall Raven software and install the Windows Touch driver. Sorry I can't help at the moment.

At the moment when I work with Windows it's via mouse and the Alphatrak control surface

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

shrike
Re: Sonar on touch screen, Track View - user experience, please 2017/06/13 20:59:42 (permalink)
Mr. Mike,
I understand completely, thanks anyway.
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Sonar on touch screen, Track View - user experience, please 2017/06/14 03:59:17 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby shrike 2017/06/14 05:09:16
https://youtu.be/xnunF6qBlpw

I tried to answer your questions in this video.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
shrike
Re: Sonar on touch screen, Track View - user experience, please 2017/06/14 05:14:25 (permalink)
gswitz, sir, thank You very much.
This is exactly what I was hoping for. Definite and simple answers.
I have to say, I'm kind of puzzled why would Cakewalk neglect basic functionalities in touchscreen mode. I mean, when one creates a song, one firstly creates tracks and clips and there is a need for managing those clips and tracks. Only later does one tinker with a mix and this is where Sonar on touchscreen shines, obviously, I have to give them that.
Well, maybe in future iterations of the software...
For now, I'll stick to mouse and keyboard (bummer).
Thank You once again, gswitz.
mudgel
Re: Sonar on touch screen, Track View - user experience, please 2017/06/14 11:50:18 (permalink)
This is a link to Cakewalks most recent EZine that comes out with each new monthly release.
Read the section on Pen touch. It will give you a good idea where Cakewalk are heading with touch technology and why.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ahg7GEVUP0HfgZsDKzkdRW65-9szIw

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Sonar on touch screen, Track View - user experience, please 2017/06/14 13:09:15 (permalink)
Hey, man.

The reason I didn't demonstrate pointer functionality because I don't have a pointer. Mudgel is right that with a pointer, new things become possible. This includes drawing note and envelopes in PRV. I don't think it includes envelopes in Track View yet.

Part of the reason touch is implemented as it is in Sonar is the multi-point nature of it. You can modify any ten things at once at any time. You can use all of your fingers to control faders. This changes the meaning of 'Selected Track' since many tracks can be modified at once.

There are things you can do concurrently (Solo tracks, move track faders, move track pan pots) and things you cannot (adjust PC FX on two different channels at the same time). I find that I'm able to use touch on 98% of the VSTs I own, but usually only one point at a time. In other words, most don't allow me to change more than one property at a time using touch.

The issue with working with clips and envelopes is that this work must be 'One thing at a time'. I'm guessing that they have not yet come up with a simple and intuitive touch way that improves upon the huge efficiency of using a mouse. I'm sure it is a work in process.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1