Helpful ReplyWhich 61 key keyboard controller?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Which 61 key keyboard controller? 2017/07/28 20:21:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Maarkr 2017/07/29 13:02:06
The following is about controller part of each device
Maarkr
Not to hijack this, but to clarify:  The Komplete S series is good to go as well as the Nektar LX series?

Naktar LX has Sonar integration, it can be used as a DAW controller.
Komplete S was not through to control DAWs at all, DAW integration is limited by transport (at most track selection)

What about the new Panorama series?

They support what they want to support and they do not support anything else. Sonar is not in the list.

The S series has some nice features but looks like its tied primarily to NI products.

It is tied to NI way to work with Soft Synth (which can be from NI, but can be from other). A kind of "Synth rack".

I don't want to spend time f'n around with midi and other drivers/settings all day. 
I am also ignorant about a Sonar controller (no keyboard).  What is out there that integrates well with Sonar without dealing with excessive setup?  This may be better for me than the kb controller since I already have many keyboards.

Without dealing with excessive setup: nothing. A DAW is a complex thing, so any powerful DAW controller is also a complex thing. "MIDI learning" till some degree works in Sonar, but it is hard to call "an integration".
The best you can do with your approach is to get MCU Pro and use 10% of its power (another 90% will take time to understand and getting Sonar overlay for proper labeling).

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Steev
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: Which 61 key keyboard controller? 2017/08/02 20:12:47 (permalink)
Maarkr
Not to hijack this, but to clarify:  The Komplete S series is good to go as well as the Nektar LX series?  What about the new Panorama series?  The S series has some nice features but looks like its tied primarily to NI products.
I don't want to spend time f'n around with midi and other drivers/settings all day.  
I am also ignorant about a Sonar controller (no keyboard).  What is out there that integrates well with Sonar without dealing with excessive setup?  This may be better for me than the kb controller since I already have many keyboards.

I seriously doubt that there is any such thing as a controller that doesn't require at LEAST a full day or more like a week to set up and get used to.

I recently purchased a Behringer X Touch for the insanely low price drop of $450 (US), and all channel strips and transport control work great right out of the box after setting it to run in MCU and setting it up in SONAR as a control surface and MIDI device, with one caveat, if your DAW of choice is Logic X you are good to go and nothing else needs to be done.
 But if you don't use Logic X, it requires a labeling template for in depth SONAR control or any other DAW of choice. It does NOT REQUIRE any MIDI mapping however, all buttons work (in SONAR), there're just not labeled correctly for SONAR.

I wouldn't be at all surprised If some one here as already created a SONAR template for the X Touch, someone already has in the X Touch user forum here > https://forum.music-group...;highlight=touch+sonar .
 Or do what I did and look up "How to set up an X Touch in SONAR" on You Toob and got out my handy label maker.

Or you could purchase the closest thing to an X Touch, a Mackie DAW controller which comes with a "free" SONAR template for only $1100 (US)

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1