How to update Firmware on new Motu?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
jbraner
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1830
Re: How to update Firmware on new Motu? 2017/07/11 09:23:23 (permalink)
I don't use the mixer - but that *does* sound right.

You don't want to echo in SONAR if the sound is also coming through your soundcard and into monitors/headphones.

There is no denying - this stuff is confusing. Sorry I can't help more, but I don't use the MOTU mixer. I just have a very simple setup - and do everything in SONAR (so I can use amp sim VSTs to monitor and record)

John Braner
https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
- Cakewalk by BandLab x64
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
- Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
- MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
er - that's it I think...
dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: How to update Firmware on new Motu? 2017/07/11 10:43:43 (permalink)
Direct monitoring will take the sound directly from your source and send it directly to the output of MotU (headphone or main, depending on how you have it routed.)  This bypasses the computer and sonar altogether (it still sends the signal to Sonar.)  If input echo is on in Sonar, Sonar will send the signal back to the output of the soundcard, essentially doubling the signal.   The second signal will be delayed a few miliseconds based on your latency.

I am not sure where the third signal is coming from though.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: How to update Firmware on new Motu? 2017/07/11 13:48:48 (permalink)
vladasyn
I appreciate your replies. Jim, what you mean by "monitor speakers are expecting a "line level" signal (-10dB or 0dB) and the MOTU is +4dB at the output."- what post/ question you addressing?

From your post above... about audible distortion.
"With my monitors IK Multimedia iLoud Micro at volume set at 2 or 3, it was distorted to a point that I could not tell what is wrong with the song."

Higher-end gear uses hotter +4dB signal level... to minimize noise.
Plug a device with -10dB output into another device expecting +4dB input... and the signal level will be very low.
Plug a device with a +4dB output into another device expecting -10dB or 0dB input... and the signal will be very hot.

Thus, the reason for the hot signal and distortion when connected to your iLoud Micro speakers.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: How to update Firmware on new Motu? 2017/07/11 14:41:02 (permalink)
vladasyn
I appreciate your replies. Jim, what you mean by "monitor speakers are expecting a "line level" signal (-10dB or 0dB) and the MOTU is +4dB at the output."- what post/ question you addressing?
I been waiting couple of days, hoping to get some help. It is disappointing that some of you here already know how to set it up but you would not share. I get it- explaining it is time consuming. 

FWIW, My time is very scattered.
I'm posting while waiting for drivers/etc to download (while working on client machines).
I don't currently have a MOTU AVB unit in front of me... or I'd explain the exact steps.

First, you need to decide whether you want to monitor via hardware (MOTU) or via software (Sonar).
Since you're connected via Thunderbolt, the round-trip latency is extremely low.
It may be simplest (at least for now) to just set your ASIO buffer size small... and monitor in Sonar (via the Input Echo button on each track).

If you wish to monitor the keyboards/etc via hardware (MOTU), you need to add mixer channels in the AVB control-panel app.  Add a mixer channel for each MOTU input you wish to monitor.
Once these input channels have been added, you can then process/mix/route them as desired.
Note: You only need do this manually one time... as you can save the result as a preset.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
vladasyn
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1092
Re: How to update Firmware on new Motu? 2017/07/12 05:01:40 (permalink)
I realize that everybody is struggling with time. I do appreciate all your help. It just that I have been working and working and working on it and I cant get it right. And having full time 40 hours a week day job is not helping at all. By the time I am home at night I am too tired and in a few hours it is already time to go to bed because I have to get up early again. So when I can find time to work on the studio, It has to be best spent. Looks like I am wasting days on trying to figure things out, so if somebody already knows, it would really help if they share. But thank you for your help again.

Looks like I have something working. I have my Motif keyboard connected to Analog 3-4, and it is set in Mixer to "Analog 3-4". The meter on that channel is moving.
I have "From Computer" channel, it set to "From Computer 1-2", and it playbacks the recorded tracks.

Here is the problem:
There 3 faders on the right:
1. Group 1-2
2. Monitor
3. Main Mix

There is button to Matrix and it offers- I would call them Outputs? It offers Headphones 1-2, Headphones 3-4, Monitor, Main and "To Computer".  I have to have Headphones, Monitors and Main selected at the same time to have sound in Headphones, Monitors and Mains. And all 3 are controlled by the same fader. So lets say- I want it loud in headphones but quiet in Mains- I cant do it unless I use physical knob on the Motu.

At the same time, there is "Monitor" fader next to it, it has the same options. I am thinking if I select Monitor Out for it, this fader would control the monitors. Not the case. I get no sound, unless Monitor is selected in Main fader. Also there is no Output fader for Headphones. I would like to have separate faders for each output.

Under "Device" I have Output Banks" and Phones, Monitors and Mains are enabled, so how come I have no Headphones Out fader in Mixer? And how come I can not control my Monitor with Monitor fader? It all goes to Main Mix. So how do I route it so that I would have exactly the same signals go to Main and Monitor and headphones but have separate faders for each?

In Matrix view I still have signal from "From Computer" and "From Computer Post Mix" not connected to anything. From Computer Post Mix created I think, when I connected "From Computer" to Mixer fader.

So everything comes to Main Mix, Main Mix assigned to Headphones, Monitors and Mains, but Fader "Monitor" has no sound when the same options selected. Why? Thank you very much.  

https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral 
http://vladasyn.wix.com/astral#
I am a female. Windows 8.1
Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
  Multiple keyboards and modules, software synths.  
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: How to update Firmware on new Motu? 2017/07/12 14:31:40 (permalink)
vladasyn
Looks like I have something working. I have my Motif keyboard connected to Analog 3-4, and it is set in Mixer to "Analog 3-4". The meter on that channel is moving.
I have "From Computer" channel, it set to "From Computer 1-2", and it playbacks the recorded tracks.

little tip: if you keep your Motif connected to Analog 3-4, rename the MOTU channels in the routing grid to Motif L  + Motif R ... this will help troubleshooting your routing if you have to ... and these labels will also show in Sonar (unless you have friendly names checked in the preferences) which makes finding the right input much easier

vladasyn 
There is button to Matrix and it offers- I would call them Outputs? It offers Headphones 1-2, Headphones 3-4, Monitor, Main and "To Computer".  I have to have Headphones, Monitors and Main selected at the same time to have sound in Headphones, Monitors and Mains. And all 3 are controlled by the same fader. So lets say- I want it loud in headphones but quiet in Mains- I cant do it unless I use physical knob on the Motu.

keep the routing as you have it with Main Mix routing to both Mains and Headphones. Then use the volume control knob on the device page for the headphones and mains. This is the "fader" you have been looking for ...

vladasyn 
So everything comes to Main Mix, Main Mix assigned to Headphones, Monitors and Mains, but Fader "Monitor" has no sound when the same options selected. Why? Thank you very much.  

Personally I don' use the Monitor channel in the mixer but I believe it has some added functionality that you could use to solo channels without affecting the rest of the mix (like in a FOH mix desk) ... you may have to search the manual if you really want to use that, but as I said I can do without ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
vladasyn
Re: How to update Firmware on new Motu? 2017/07/14 03:23:40 (permalink)
Thank you for your reply. Does it mean I figured it out? Great. yes, finding the right channels is hard- it has too many extra channels, moving everything to like 77-8, 9-10 and so on. 

Now I am wondering about the 3rd unit and the Ethernet box. Right now I have one side of the studio connected to MOTU, other side- to Presonus and I need to change ASIO driver from one to another to use both sides. Any better way to do it? Using Presonus as patch bay and run its output in to Motu Input? Don think it would ne great. 

Did you try to work MOTU with the Ethernet box and more than 2 units? Thank you. 

Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: How to update Firmware on new Motu? 2017/07/15 11:33:09 (permalink)
Yes i do run 2 MOTUs (sometimes 3 units) via the MOTU AVB switch. It's plug and play. Nothing to configure, just define the routing via the AVB streams ...

I do not know anything about your presonus box but if it has ADAT out I would use it as a converter and plug it into MOTU ADAT in. Then you can always use the same setup without changing cables or routing ... and live off the excellent AUDIO driver from MOTU.

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
vladasyn
Re: How to update Firmware on new Motu? 2017/07/26 05:34:12 (permalink)
No, this Presonus mixer (StudioLive 24.4.2) has no ADAT or any other digital outputs.

I am thinking to buy 3rd MOTU, 16A- I need to connect left side of my studio. I tried to use Motu one day, Presonus another day, and it is not good, because ports get confused and so on. 

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1