Helpful Replyfuture of Sonar

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/13 22:42:18 (permalink)
BobF
abacab
How about a Mackie control app for Windows that you could just run from a touchscreen as 2nd monitor?  Sort of like a control pad app for iPad, but completely integrated with Windows and Sonar?

No hardware development investment required, just some creative software engineering.  And a virtual MIDI cable.

Maybe http://ctrlr.org/ will get you a step or two in that direction.

Unfortunately not.... Creating Mackie like controls in it is almost impossible (I have tried). It is very nice project, rather powerful, but for different task.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/13 23:18:59 (permalink)
azslow3
abacab
How about a Mackie control app for Windows that you could just run from a touchscreen as 2nd monitor?  Sort of like a control pad app for iPad, but completely integrated with Windows and Sonar?

No hardware development investment required, just some creative software engineering.  And a virtual MIDI cable.

For some reason that does not exist... I guess no market. I have found only one App in that direction. Logically, who is going to use windows tablet for the purpose? Cheap tablets can also run Andoroid, expensive can run Sonar.

But no Windows tablet required!

For example, you can add a touchscreen to your existing desktop (or laptop) DAW for $200-300!

https://www.newegg.com/To...ors/SubCategory/ID-514

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
azslow3
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/14 10:36:31 (permalink)
abacab
azslow3
abacab

For some reason that does not exist... I guess no market. I have found only one App in that direction. Logically, who is going to use windows tablet for the purpose? Cheap tablets can also run Andoroid, expensive can run Sonar.

But no Windows tablet required!

For example, you can add a touchscreen to your existing desktop (or laptop) DAW for $200-300!

https://www.newegg.com/To...ors/SubCategory/ID-514

But what benefits an extra display with Mackie Controll is going to bring to the operations? Mackie control can only do "mixing" task, just moving Console View to this extra monitor will give that (and a bit more) possibilities.

If mobility is an advantage, for $100-$300 it is possible to get a tablet with TouchDAW/Lemur/TouchOSC.

Finally for a bit more there is X-Touch (Compact).

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/14 14:58:31 (permalink)
azslow3

But what benefits an extra display with Mackie Controll is going to bring to the operations? Mackie control can only do "mixing" task, just moving Console View to this extra monitor will give that (and a bit more) possibilities.

Maybe using "Mackie Control" as an example was too limited in scope.  If there was an API available from Cakewalk that could be accessed in Sonar, maybe another app could control more than mixing.  So rather than saying Sonar needs more flexibility in supporting hardware, why not just open up an API that 3rd party software devs could tap into.

My main point is that making control software compatible with DAW software might be a better option than trying to make more hardware control compatible with DAW software.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
azslow3
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/14 19:54:10 (permalink)
abacab
azslow3

Maybe using "Mackie Control" as an example was too limited in scope.  If there was an API available from Cakewalk that could be accessed in Sonar, maybe another app could control more than mixing.  So rather than saying Sonar needs more flexibility in supporting hardware, why not just open up an API that 3rd party software devs could tap into.

Cakewalk has Open Source API SDK. It does not cover editing (unfortunately), but it does cover a lot.
I have used that SDK and created AZ Controller, which in turn support OSC (some improvements are still pending, but it is already quite usable with Apps such TouchOSC and Lemur).

My main point is that making control software compatible with DAW software might be a better option than trying to make more hardware control compatible with DAW software.

The procedure is EXACTLY the same. Software "controls" generate the same set of commands as corresponding hardware control, the whole logic is in the software on the DAW side (Control Surface plug-ins in Sonar, Python scripts in Ableton, etc.).

Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/17 15:35:16 (permalink)
tlw
Ham N Egz
Go to GS/KVR/etc and read the negative posts about Sonar AND our forums

Go there and read posts about anything and you come away wondering if anything works at all or any maker of anything ever utters a true word. Analogue synths and guitar gear frequently gets slated for being "digital" when it's no such thing, and the old whatever it is is you can't buy any more is always praised by someone as so much better than the current version of the same thing. Even if the current one is exactly the same as the old one.

The signal to noise ratio can be very low at times.

There's a thread there now...
"Do all DAWs suck?"

The OP mentions that Sonar's "latency" gets worse over time.
Well... latency only has two sources.
  • audio interface
  • latent plugins inserted in the project
That particular complaint has to be pilot error.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
azslow3
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/17 16:11:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Ham N Egz 2017/07/20 22:00:54
KVR forum can be well described by old Russian joke:
Agenda for the Women's Committee meeting:
1. There's nothing good to wear (again)
2. All the men are bastards
3. Miscellaneous

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/17 16:35:30 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
"Do all DAWs suck?"

• audio interface

It could also possibly be caused by a software bug, in the PDC code for example

Not that I've noticed it myself

just a sec

Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/17 17:16:41 (permalink)
pwalpwal
Jim Roseberry
"Do all DAWs suck?"

• audio interface

Yes, a bug in the PDC code could affect latency.
But... the OP in that thread was essentially saying Sonar's latency has gotten worse over time.
That's not the case... or everyone would be experiencing it.
My guess is that the OP started using latent plugins... and is blaming additional latency on the host.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
pwalpwal
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/17 17:25:01 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
pwalpwal
Jim Roseberry
"Do all DAWs suck?"

• audio interface

But... the OP in that thread was essentially saying Sonar's latency has gotten worse over time.
My guess is that the OP started using latent plugins... and is blaming additional latency on the host.

I should go and read the thread :-)

just a sec

pwalpwal
Re: future of Sonar 2017/07/17 17:59:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Ham N Egz 2017/07/20 22:01:31
pwalpwal
Jim Roseberry
pwalpwal
Jim Roseberry
"Do all DAWs suck?"

• audio interface

I should go and read the thread :-)

I didn't get past the first page, but the OP is either an arrogant noob or a level three troll :-)

just a sec

aghschwabe
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
Re: future of Sonar 2017/11/25 17:34:33 (permalink)
azslow3
Claiming a company has no future if they do not support "whatever crap I have decided to buy" is pointless.

Some quotes don't age well. I was just looking at the exciting "Future's So Bright, Gotta Wear Shades" news release of this past summer: http://blog.cakewalk.com/cakewalk-kicks-off-30th-anniversary-with-major-sonar-update-much-more/

Yes, it was going to be an exciting year of celebrations, but the birthday party turned into a face-down on the floor bender that didn't end well.

I've been looking at other DAWs for about a year. I've jumped to Studio One 3.5 and so far I haven't found any gaps in my workflow (and I'd say my workflow has improved in terms of speed). It's an easy jump, but then when I took up CW on the "lifetime updates" offer, I knew that the end was nigh and I had to get doing some homework.

All the emotion about the shutdown should be reserved for the staff and people directly affected by the decision to shut down.

SONAR is long in the tooth and could use redevelopment, but that's an expensive proposition and I suspect Gibson's board wasn't interested.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1