Helpful ReplySnarky Puppy Twanger Central # 98

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Snarky Puppy Twanger Central # 98 2017/08/03 04:50:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/08/03 16:15:46
Charlie, I think you've made your point so it's OK to give it a rest now. Your opinion is as valuable as anyone else's, and genuinely welcome. Let's just try to keep the conversation from descending into a squabble. 

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: Snarky Puppy Twanger Central # 98 2017/08/03 12:28:39 (permalink)
Well...I'm not a fan of long guitar solo's, but after all the fuss on the thread I just had to listen!  Nice playing, no cheap guitar shredding tricks in there, just a full on attack by an accomplished guitar player.  

Charlie H
Since it was a "jam track" I can only comment on the guitar tone and playing. The tone was alright. The playing...well, it sounds like you're more of a clean player who's just dabbling in distortion. That's too say, there were hardly any of the hallmarks of rock guitar. Few if any bent notes, not much sliding into notes, almost no hammerons or pulloffs, no double stops, no sustained notes. There just wasn't much of the stuff that makes a great rock solo great. It was just kind of the same ladder climbing notes over and over and over.

Well, to be fair, it's more of light rock, maybe jazz fusion from what I heard and he's working the scales pretty damn good.  You can tell he's really trying to put interesting combinations together instead of just idiosyncratically hammering and bending, which I much prefer from a guitar piece.  The elements you mention are great too, and I enjoy them as well, but they are also handicap tools for sub par guitarists.  I know because I use them extensively, ha ha.  

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Snarky Puppy Twanger Central # 98 2017/08/04 01:49:49 (permalink)
Kenny, I thought the guitar playing was exceptional.  I'm not a huge fan of the long guitar solo either, but for a long solo, I thought it was well played.  

For my tastes in the way you have it mixed, I would prefer to have the guitar a little more forward and present in the mix.  It feels a little far back on the sound stage, so to speak.  In my view, it is the vocal, so my ears want to hear it more prevalent.  

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
skinnybones lampshade
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 530
Re: Snarky Puppy Twanger Central # 98 2017/08/04 02:46:19 (permalink)
Hi Kenny,

Thank you so much for explaining all of that to me ... I would love to be able to arrive at that state of mind but I fear that it's beyond me!

You said recently that you wished you could hear me go more public (than nothing LOL), and today it happened: I have an album on iTunes/Apple Music, Spotify, Google Play Music, etc. I'm just as shocked as you are: They must be nuts! It's called LeJiT (LJT are my initials). Well, I've been shy my whole life and suddenly there are ten songs out there. It's a very odd feeling, but thank you for the little push, Kenny. Otherwise, I guess it would never have happened. Thanks, my friend. P.S. I know I have no production "skills" but I hope I become braver soon and will be able to take some help in that department.

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Snarky Puppy Twanger Central # 98 2017/08/04 04:46:20 (permalink)
Charlie H
That's it, keep digging yourself in deeper. Stating unfavorable facts about a forum in general or the internet in general is NOT an attack on a PERSON, and you're old enough to know better, so I suggest you quit lying about me and exposing your hate filled self in the process. I'm sorry you're just an okay player, but you are in my opinion. Sheesh, get over it.

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Wayfarer
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 831
Re: Snarky Puppy Twanger Central # 98 2017/08/04 12:32:33 (permalink)
Not cool dude. Friends don't let drunken mother-in-laws take selfies. 
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Snarky Puppy Twanger Central # 98 2017/08/04 21:01:20 (permalink)
bitflipper
Charlie, I think you've made your point so it's OK to give it a rest now. Your opinion is as valuable as anyone else's, and genuinely welcome. Let's just try to keep the conversation from descending into a squabble. 

Thank you very much for stopping in here and saying that Dave
As we all know it takes two to Tango so I willingly cop to having a part to play in all of this .

Voda La Void
Well...I'm not a fan of long guitar solo's, but after all the fuss on the thread I just had to listen!  Nice playing, no cheap guitar shredding tricks in there, just a full on attack by an accomplished guitar player.  

Charlie H
Since it was a "jam track" I can only comment on the guitar tone and playing. The tone was alright. The playing...well, it sounds like you're more of a clean player who's just dabbling in distortion. That's too say, there were hardly any of the hallmarks of rock guitar. Few if any bent notes, not much sliding into notes, almost no hammerons or pulloffs, no double stops, no sustained notes. There just wasn't much of the stuff that makes a great rock solo great. It was just kind of the same ladder climbing notes over and over and over.

Well, to be fair, it's more of light rock, maybe jazz fusion from what I heard and he's working the scales pretty damn good.  You can tell he's really trying to put interesting combinations together instead of just idiosyncratically hammering and bending, which I much prefer from a guitar piece.  The elements you mention are great too, and I enjoy them as well, but they are also handicap tools for sub par guitarists.  I know because I use them extensively, ha ha.  

Hello Voda La Void,

You may find this surprising  , I'm also not such a big fan of long guitar solos ...
Generally , I like to keep my solo's short , sweet and somewhat to the point in the music I write and compose.
The exception of course is this type of thing where people on a guitar forum have gotten together to have a little fun and take turns at expressing themselves in their own unique individualized ways of playing over a predetermined backing track ... 
This was all done in good fun at the other forum and all who have participated had a good time .
Whenever I do these types of musical clips generally as a courtesy I will start a thread here on this forum. 

I cordially invite anybody who happens to feel they can do a better job playing over this track to put up what you got ...

Thank you for giving this a listen , I do appreciate you taking the time to have done so and commenting here  

michaelhanson
Kenny, I thought the guitar playing was exceptional.  I'm not a huge fan of the long guitar solo either, but for a long solo, I thought it was well played.  

For my tastes in the way you have it mixed, I would prefer to have the guitar a little more forward and present in the mix.  It feels a little far back on the sound stage, so to speak.  In my view, it is the vocal, so my ears want to hear it more prevalent.  

Hi Mike ,

It was mentioned in my last post that I'm also not a big fan of long guitar solo's ..
My playing was done this way only to play by the rules all the other guitar players were following ...

Anyway ...I can't seem to win no matter what I do ....
The very next weekly track I posted here on the forum called As My Guitar Gently Speaks had been shortened to keep the guitar solos short

Now everybody is telling me the tune was way too short and they wanted to hear more

I do agree with you that I could have mixed the guitar more up front .
Thank you for saying the kind words you said about my guitar playing on this clip

Wayfarer
Not cool dude. Friends don't let drunken mother-in-laws take selfies. 

Bill , What's the matter ?  you don't like the hired help at The Kissing Booth

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Wayfarer
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 831
Re: Snarky Puppy Twanger Central # 98 2017/08/04 22:20:42 (permalink)
She'd be a step up for me. My kinfolk are from the hills of Northern Tennessee. We ain't used to women with so many teeth.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1