Helpful ReplyI just got a turntable...

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/02 22:37:10 (permalink)
Moshkito
smallstonefan
BobF
Cool toy, James. 

Last year I got stone tablets with a hammer and chisel.

How is that working out for ya? Post pics! :)

I keep thinking that he is trying to re-invent "krautrock" ... heck if Faust can do it, so can he!

This is an EXCELLENT vid

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/02 23:52:29 (permalink)
I believe I've seen that seen that video (will check later).   If so, there should be some guys playing a cement mixer!

(Pedro would approve!)

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
BobF
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/03 01:08:51 (permalink)
craigb
I believe I've seen that seen that video (will check later).   If so, there should be some guys playing a cement mixer!

(Pedro would approve!)

IIRC, Faust is playing the mixer.  This is a really great documentary

Bob  --
--

Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/03 21:43:06 (permalink)
BobF
craigb

(Pedro would approve!)

There are 6 parts to that documentary if I am not mixing them up ... and the last one is messed up because it had David Bowie in it too much. But in between there are a lot of really far out bits and pieces, and Edgar Froese's words stand out ... quite a bit in helping define the creativity that became known as "krautrock".

The only part that is missing is that "krautrock" was not a solo thing for music only. There was theater, film, and other arts involved that helped define the whole thing. It's just a shame that folks don't look at Damo Suzuki (for example) and realize that this came from some theatrical design and idea, and it fit rock music well if it was experimental and improvised.

Faust is fun listening ... but hearing it today, I think many of us, specially here, would get annoyed with ... that's just the turning of a knob and the same note ... and this would also fit early Neu and Kraftwerk and such.

But all this sounded better on a turntable, and Guy Guden, SPECIALLY, in his main show in Santa Barbara used to help it even more by speeding things up and slowing them down, and giving these things an even greater appreciation and out of the universe spectacle on FM radio ... and some comedy in between as well! His satire on the washing machine thing (with Guru Guru early stuff ...) was excellent, and ... it did his shorts, too!

This was, probably, one of the best things of a turntable ... and you ought to hear Guy's version of many pieces of music where he plays two at the same time so you can get that far our swoosh ... and one of the best he ever did it on? Klaus Schulze ... and later even better Tomita! You can't do this digitally, although you probably can use effects and do a few fun things with it, but the airwaves add a third dimension to the turntable that the CD never will!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
BobF
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/03 22:59:05 (permalink)
Moshkito
BobF
craigb

(Pedro would approve!)

There are 6 parts to that documentary if I am not mixing them up ... and the last one is messed up because it had David Bowie in it too much. But in between there are a lot of really far out bits and pieces, and Edgar Froese's words stand out ... quite a bit in helping define the creativity that became known as "krautrock".

The only part that is missing is that "krautrock" was not a solo thing for music only. There was theater, film, and other arts involved that helped define the whole thing. It's just a shame that folks don't look at Damo Suzuki (for example) and realize that this came from some theatrical design and idea, and it fit rock music well if it was experimental and improvised.

Faust is fun listening ... but hearing it today, I think many of us, specially here, would get annoyed with ... that's just the turning of a knob and the same note ... and this would also fit early Neu and Kraftwerk and such.

But all this sounded better on a turntable, and Guy Guden, SPECIALLY, in his main show in Santa Barbara used to help it even more by speeding things up and slowing them down, and giving these things an even greater appreciation and out of the universe spectacle on FM radio ... and some comedy in between as well! His satire on the washing machine thing (with Guru Guru early stuff ...) was excellent, and ... it did his shorts, too!

This was, probably, one of the best things of a turntable ... and you ought to hear Guy's version of many pieces of music where he plays two at the same time so you can get that far our swoosh ... and one of the best he ever did it on? Klaus Schulze ... and later even better Tomita! You can't do this digitally, although you probably can use effects and do a few fun things with it, but the airwaves add a third dimension to the turntable that the CD never will!

Hi,

If this isn't the full documentary, I would really appreciate an ordered list of what I need to watch to get the whole of it.  I find this to be a VERY interesting subject.

Bob  --
--

craigb
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/04 02:07:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BobF 2017/09/04 12:12:49
Your link is the main documentary, but here are some other videos:

I think Pedro's thinking of the Kraut & Ruben episodes.  Here they are...

6 episodes broken up into parts.

craigb
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/04 03:15:20 (permalink)

Sauerkraut Rock. 

Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/04 13:56:58 (permalink)
craigb
6 episodes broken up into parts.

The original krautrock special was done in 6 parts and it was amazing. It has, all of those pieces you listed. Again, the 6th part was totally messed up on purpose because it had too much David Bowie in it, which is a total shame but his rep's probably did not like DB's name with it.

At that time, in theater, there were a lot of experimental things from voice (Chaikan and others) to physical (Living Theater) and the German version with Handke and others was totally free form, work/letter plays that had no meaning at all, and were impossible to sit through. Out of these came Wim Wenders as well, not to mention so many actors that were very good at improvisation, as Klaus Kinski was and became famous for it. So we can even say that Damo did something similar but had to curtail it for a rock audience and performance ability.

To me, the days of "experimental music" died with "Apocalyptic Bore" .... and from that day on, AD2 could no longer improvise and had lost a vital part of their inner selves. It was, also, the "end" of krautrock" per se ... the record companies killed improvisation.

I think the special was either done for the BBC, or just Germany. I'm not even sure of it, but I think the titles had BBC on it. To me, Faust and the early Kraftwerk/Neu family were more a part of the experimentation series than they were "krautrock" per se, but everything and the kitchen sink got mixed up in there somewhere and lost in the translation.

An artistic scene like this is hard for Americans. They had one with the SF/LA thing and it was major and influenced the whole country, only to have the media kill it with drugs and mayhem, and a notion that all youngsters were dirty and went around half naked having free sex that the traditionalists in America could not accept ... AND STILL DON'T. Never mind that it was less about free sex than the emancipation of the roles that everyone was supposed to be a part of!

The American media still does not credit many of those folks today ... and still considers a lot of it just dirty laundry!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
smallstonefan
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2724
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/05 11:38:29 (permalink)
Thanks for the documentary - that is all new stuff to me! :)
quantumeffect
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2771
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/05 19:50:50 (permalink)
craigb

Sauerkraut Rock. 

Gneiss dish!  It looks like it is fit for a pyrite.  I am sure the flavors are boulder than I am used to.

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/05 20:57:25 (permalink)
You'll get stoned if you eat that.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
craigb
Re: I just got a turntable... 2017/09/05 21:11:46 (permalink)
Whoever said "This too shall pass" never ate that rock.

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1