Baby Face Pro / TotalMix Help

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
rj davis
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 141
Re: Baby Face Pro / TotalMix Help 2017/12/20 00:10:53 (permalink)
polarbear
Hey Everyone,

So I have gotten things in TotalMix to a point where it's USABLE... but i'm freaking scared to touch anything because it's so damn confusing for me haha. (What ever happened to a gain knob and a volume knob and done? haha).

So funny.  This is EXACTLY how I feel about TotalMix as well.  I've gotten it to work PERFECTLY for the 2-3 things I do routinely, but I'm SO afraid of touching it 'cause I'm not REALLY sure what I've done.  As reinforcement, took me over an hour to figure out how to set up a digital audio input as an output to the speakers.  And it WAS easy to do, IF you knew how to do it.  The video tips referenced in this string look interesting, and I'll certainly give them a look.  Lots of power here, just not so easy to harness (for me)...

Ron
Windows 10
Sonar Platinum
i7-5700K 4.0 GHz StudioCat ProStudio (monster)
RME Babyface Pro
Mackie MCU Pro
Neumann TLM49
Too many guitars...
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Baby Face Pro / TotalMix Help 2017/12/20 04:45:34 (permalink)
batsbrew

once you realize that you can set up multiple mixes of what you hear, even multiple headphone mixes, and how to route the rme inputs to whatever, it gets easier.

This is exactly why I love Totalmix....now. And to be honest, I am experienced with mixing and routing and when I sat down and tried to just get Totalmix working, I was lost. I had to RTFM.  Once I did, I realized what I had. And buddy, this is what I had been wanting a long time.

I also work alone and never thought I would need something like this. But after using it, I'll never go back to anything else. I am an RME'r for life now!!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
gbowling
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 315
Re: Baby Face Pro / TotalMix Help 2017/12/20 13:21:14 (permalink)
rj davis
polarbear
Hey Everyone,

So I have gotten things in TotalMix to a point where it's USABLE... but i'm freaking scared to touch anything because it's so damn confusing for me haha. (What ever happened to a gain knob and a volume knob and done? haha).

So funny.  This is EXACTLY how I feel about TotalMix as well.  I've gotten it to work PERFECTLY for the 2-3 things I do routinely, but I'm SO afraid of touching it 'cause I'm not REALLY sure what I've done.  As reinforcement, took me over an hour to figure out how to set up a digital audio input as an output to the speakers.  And it WAS easy to do, IF you knew how to do it.  The video tips referenced in this string look interesting, and I'll certainly give them a look.  Lots of power here, just not so easy to harness (for me)...

Fair enough, but why don't you just save what you have as a preset to your computer? Then you can get back to that any time you want and don't have to be afraid to play with it. If you're afraid to touch it or play with it you'll never understand the incredible power of it!

gabo

bokchoyboy
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 238
Re: Baby Face Pro / TotalMix Help 2017/12/20 18:24:38 (permalink)
Making progress!!  Figured out much of the routing, saving snapshots etc.  Now my only issue is engaging phantom power on the Babyface itself without TotalMix.   I've read the RTFM many times over, and for some reason I can't get it to work... by the way, it does work when using TotalMix.   I know some would say a minor inconvenience, but I would really like hands on interface control at this point.    Hmmmm?   Hope its not a hardware issue.
Salud...
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Baby Face Pro / TotalMix Help 2017/12/20 19:48:08 (permalink)

IN
gives access to Gain control and phantom
power. Press IN several times to step through
the inputs 1/2, 3/4 and Optical (SPDIF/ADAT).
Press SELECT several times to step through
left, right or both channels, as indicated by
flashing LEDs. Then turn the wheel to change
the gain, or press SET to activate phantom
power (only in stand-alone mode). Phantom
power is signalled by two orange LEDs at the
bottom of meters 1 and 2.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
bokchoyboy
Re: Baby Face Pro / TotalMix Help 2017/12/20 21:49:00 (permalink)
azslow3

or press SET to activate phantom
power (only in stand-alone mode).

oh well... maybe I will just have to get a preamp with a phantom power switch!!

Thanks  A ... Salud!
rj davis
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 141
Re: Baby Face Pro / TotalMix Help 2017/12/20 22:03:27 (permalink)
gbowling
rj davis
polarbear
Hey Everyone,

Fair enough, but why don't you just save what you have as a preset to your computer? Then you can get back to that any time you want and don't have to be afraid to play with it. If you're afraid to touch it or play with it you'll never understand the incredible power of it!

gabo

What?!  I can save presets?!  Ha! 

My challenge is I tend to learn the minimum to get my hardware/software to do what I need it to do, then I try not to think about it again while I focus on the music.  Sound advice, and I WILL look for the preset save function.  :)   Thank you for the encouragement. 

Ron
Windows 10
Sonar Platinum
i7-5700K 4.0 GHz StudioCat ProStudio (monster)
RME Babyface Pro
Mackie MCU Pro
Neumann TLM49
Too many guitars...
bokchoyboy
Re: Baby Face Pro / TotalMix Help 2017/12/20 22:24:44 (permalink)
Just saved a bunch of snapshots for each routing set up(mic/guitar/keys etc)  Pretty simple way to tackle the phantom power issue... duh
Still might want a colored preamp though... wink
Thanks all...
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Baby Face Pro / TotalMix Help 2017/12/20 23:37:57 (permalink)
Glad you got it sorted out.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1