Sonar Artist CWVideoEngine.dll Error

Author
Nubyte101
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2017/09/06 22:01:56 (permalink)

Sonar Artist CWVideoEngine.dll Error

I am unable to start my Sonar Artist program and am getting the following message: 

"Sonarart.exe. Bad Image C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Sonar Artist\CWVideoEngine.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error Status 0x0000020."

The last two times this happened there was a new version which fixed this when I launched the update, this time there is no update and I am stuck with a dead program

[<font]Something seems to be damaging my CWVideoEngine.dll extension as it is set to 0kb now. Cakewalk advises a full uninstall reinstall but I think that all I really need is a good version of the CWVideioEngine.dll extension to replace the bad one. This is probably going to keep happening and I want to avoid a full uninstall every few days and all of its headaches.

[<font]Anyone have a copy or any suggestions? Thanks in advance. 

15 Replies Related Threads

Nubyte101
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Sonar Artist CWVideoEngine.dll Error 2017/09/06 22:27:59 (permalink)
    I think I got it fixed, did the roll back and copied extension for future use since it seems to be going bad often. Hope this helps anyone else with the problem.
    Johncoop
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Sonar Artist CWVideoEngine.dll Error 2017/10/23 17:24:22 (permalink)
    I've got exactly the same problem with Sonar Producer X3.
    radio roswell
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Sonar Artist CWVideoEngine.dll Error 2017/10/26 11:06:47 (permalink)
    same problem. Install updates, roll back each time just to get it to load. Any Solutions ?

chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Sonar Artist CWVideoEngine.dll Error 2017/10/26 16:32:18 (permalink)
    What are you guys using for Anti virus ?
    Have you made sure you are installing the software by: Right clicking on Command Center / OR Right clicking on the installer and choosing "Run as Administrator".

It would also benefit you both by leaving some details on your operating system, like which version of Windows are you running?

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Sonar Artist CWVideoEngine.dll Error 2017/10/26 16:39:39 (permalink)
    It's not anti virus Chuck I don't have AV and I have this issue as well. ,, this issue I've nailed down to updates of W10 buggering all sorts of different dll's. And this thread now adds more evidence that this is W10 and not Cakewalk. Same issue- 3 different versions of Cakewalk. All have in common the dll will show as 0bytes. The dll seem almost random as I read posts here with now about 10 or more different dll's mentioned. 
    The OP figured it out. The only fix is to have a back up of the folder where the original was stored and overwrite the bad dll. 
    Of note is I have never seen anyone including myself with this issue if they are using W7 or 8. 

I guess the best course of action is to complain to Microsoft. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Sonar Artist CWVideoEngine.dll Error 2017/10/26 16:58:46 (permalink)
    a windows update could cause it to fail, but not to be 0Kb in size

just a sec

Cactus Music
    Re: Sonar Artist CWVideoEngine.dll Error 2017/10/26 17:02:51 (permalink)
    pwalpwal

So then why is it happening and it seems this just started with the Creative update sequence. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Sonar Artist CWVideoEngine.dll Error 2017/10/26 17:53:19 (permalink)
    Cactus Music
    pwalpwal

So then why is it happening and it seems this just started with the Creative update sequence. 

to become 0kb it is being written over, and that write seems to fail for unknown reason... but windows update won't be overwriting 3rd party app dlls, only its own system stuff - and a change in system stuff relied on by sonar could cause a crash etc but not over write a file
    /in theory

just a sec

Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 814
    Re: Sonar Artist CWVideoEngine.dll Error 2017/10/26 20:08:47 (permalink)
    pwalpwal
    Cactus Music
    pwalpwal

to become 0kb it is being written over, and that write seems to fail for unknown reason... but windows update won't be overwriting 3rd party app dlls, only its own system stuff - and a change in system stuff relied on by sonar could cause a crash etc but not over write a file
    /in theory

The basic issue here almost sounds like it's a failing drive, but it's odd that so many people are having it, so I'd rule that out.

This seems to happen after Windows Updates/Upgrades. Are these point release updates or major ones like going from W7 to W10?

One possible theory is the update snapshot mechanism is somehow choking on our DLLs? CWVideoEngine.dll isn't in X3, IIRC, but it was likely another similar dependent DLL that got corrupted.

Best Regards,
    Seth
    Cactus Music
    Re: Sonar Artist CWVideoEngine.dll Error 2017/10/26 22:46:31 (permalink)
    Hi Seth, because I come on the forum almost everyday and read most every post I have seen this same issue a number of times. Each time it would seem to be a different dll that has been corupted. It would be interesting to see what all of these have in common. I was even thinking of starting a thread and ask how many people have seen that  dialog. 

I always get "Overloud.dll"  
    My system has been W10 for a long time. I don't always run updates as I keep the machine offline. But back in Sept I updated everything, W10 and Sonar as well as a few plug in managers like iLock. 

I updated W10 first thinking this would be the best sequence. 
    So when I was installing Splat update the last box I got was the issue with Overloud.dll and so I chose skip and carried on.  Sonar ran just fine and I don't use the overloud plug in is so all is good.

I think there is a new Sonar update now since then so I will try and run that tonight and see what evolves. 
    I will make sure the Overloud.dll is OK as I think I can copy it from my W7 Laptop. And there is another clue, I updated my W7 laptop the same time I had no issues.  

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

radio roswell
    Re: Sonar Artist CWVideoEngine.dll Error 2017/10/27 12:14:29 (permalink)
    I have a lenevo think pad with windows 10 and intel graphics and mcafee antivirus. Ive had Sonar Artist for over a year now with no problems until October 14th. The same day as several windows updates. In order to run Sonar I have to reinstall to a previous update but on next try it wiped out the same usual .dll’s and bad image errors happen again.

I have also uninstalled the updates with no lock. It’s very frustrating as I am not computer savy . I have read s few fixes about reinstallation but they do not work. I have performed scans etc.
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Sonar Artist CWVideoEngine.dll Error 2017/10/27 15:20:58 (permalink)
    Cactus Music
    It's not anti virus Chuck I don't have AV and I have this issue as well.

I've learned through the years that when trying to problem solve... saying "Its not" is the greatest fail of all.

For example:

radio roswell
    I have a lenevo think pad with windows 10 and intel graphics and mcafee antivirus. Ive had Sonar Artist for over a year now with no problems until October 14th.

Weve been seeing this problem for how long now ?
    But he is just seeing it since last week ?

There are many contributing factors here that could be the potential problem.
    We cant reject anyone's opinion if we want to figure out what is going on.
    That includes yours, mine or anyone else's.

I might be getting tunnel vision thinking it is an Anti virus problem, no doubt. I will admit it. I have thought that since day one.
    More than one user has mentioned they are using MacAfee (which lets face it, is right up there with Norton AV for being one of the worst).
    but you have that same tunnel vision thinking its windows 10. Don't let our own visions stop us from solving the issue.

for all we know it could be Command center

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

radio roswell
    Re: Sonar Artist CWVideoEngine.dll Error 2017/10/27 22:51:37 (permalink)
    I wound up doing a clean install of artist and it seems to be working fine for several tries but now back to the same bad image error.

FRANCISCO MENDOZA
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Sonar Artist CWVideoEngine.dll Error 2017/11/14 00:04:03 (permalink)
    I USE SONAR PLATINUM I GET cwvideoengine.dll  PROBLEM IT WONT OPEN UP EVEN AFTER HOURS OF BEONG UP RECORDING AND BEING USED----THEN IT WONT OPEN UP--- ON A FLASH DRIVE I HAVE FROM OTHER COMPUTER THE DLL'S THAT DONT WORK-- BUT I STILL RUN INTO THE PROBLEM 
    Cactus Music
    Re: Sonar Artist CWVideoEngine.dll Error 2017/11/14 00:15:47 (permalink)

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1