Helpful ReplyCurious....are you guys that are choosing Studio One over Cubase....

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
MarkSSwanson
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: Curious....are you guys that are choosing Studio One over Cubase.... 2017/11/29 00:29:37 (permalink)
I opted for S1 yesterday because it *apparently* is closer to having the Sonar features that I use the most.  Cubase is *apparently* more useful to people more heavily into MIDI than I am.  I intend to ease into S1, and I bought it yesterday just to get the Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Digital Tuesday/Weird Wednesday... pricing.  Thanks to everyone who voiced an opinion here about which DAW's are workable replacements.  When I have had a chance to form my opinion of S1 vs SPLAT I will return and share it.
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Curious....are you guys that are choosing Studio One over Cubase.... 2017/11/29 00:32:31 (permalink)
Fleer
Because of price? Yep, important part of my decision.
Studio One 3 Pro looks great and costs $125 (and no dongle).

Slap it one 5 machines and deactivate one if you get another machine. I always thought the layout was similar to Sonar plus they also have the extra function for mixing.  For a young DAW its come a long way. Plus they are far more aggressive in trying to get people to own a license.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
rj davis
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 141
Re: Curious....are you guys that are choosing Studio One over Cubase.... 2017/11/29 01:45:16 (permalink)
I went with S1 because (1) I could try the full version out in advance and (2) it pegged out each of my priorities: Mackie implementation, Melodyne integration and ease of comping.  Comping took a bit of fiddling, but I'm faster in S1 now than I was in SPlat, after just 4 songs.  (And I STILL *LOVE* SPlat!)

That being said, my needs are kind of modest, and I know that other types of users will have more elaborate needs.  But I NEVER use loops or included plugins, and seldom use MIDI (though I can, when needed).

BTW, my first Cakewalk software came on 5-1/4" floppy disks, so I'm not new at this...

But I CAN learn a new app or two.  :) 

S1 is fine for me.  Your needs may be very different...

Ron
Windows 10
Sonar Platinum
i7-5700K 4.0 GHz StudioCat ProStudio (monster)
RME Babyface Pro
Mackie MCU Pro
Neumann TLM49
Too many guitars...
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Curious....are you guys that are choosing Studio One over Cubase.... 2017/11/29 15:18:30 (permalink)
subtlearts
azslow3
On-line authorization, forced included content, limited support for control surfaces. Doesn't that sound familiar?

Without me. And looking around, I do not see many choices. Fortunately, there is one...

I'm very curious, what are you going with? I'm still on the fence but am collecting options and, to an extent, opinions...

http://www.azslow.com/ind...8.msg2371.html#msg2371

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
KingsMix
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 498
Re: Curious....are you guys that are choosing Studio One over Cubase.... 2017/11/29 15:40:30 (permalink)
dannyjmusic
doing so because of price? Just curious..

No, not price.
Function pertaining to "my" particular work flow and needs.
I think that's what seems to be  overlooked sometimes, is that it's not about the best DAW it's about the best DAW for "your" particular needs and workflow.  
Research, research, research, according to "your" needs and workflow.
KingsMix
  • Total Posts : 498
Re: Curious....are you guys that are choosing Studio One over Cubase.... 2017/11/29 15:43:21 (permalink)
On a side note, aside from NUENDO (The proverbial Rolls Royce of DAW's), all DAW's are pretty much relative in price and value for the buck (minus the sales going on).
patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: Curious....are you guys that are choosing Studio One over Cubase.... 2017/12/01 16:28:32 (permalink)
I have a FaderPort, plus I used SO Artist in the past...No brainer for me.

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
Joe_A
  • Total Posts : 458
Re: Curious....are you guys that are choosing Studio One over Cubase.... 2017/12/01 16:33:57 (permalink)
I saw a no "clip gain" comment but was unclear which DAW that pertained to. Azslow can you clarify when convenient?

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
Sylvan
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 793
Re: Curious....are you guys that are choosing Studio One over Cubase.... 2017/12/01 17:34:29 (permalink)
I chose Studio One because of the ARA integration with Melodyne and Vocalign, and the tight integration with Softube Console One, and Faderport.

SONAR Platinum
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US 20X20
Tascam US 16X08
Intel i7-5830K LGA2011V3 (6 CORE)
Asus X99-AII
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB
Geeforce GTX 970 4GB
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Curious....are you guys that are choosing Studio One over Cubase.... 2017/12/01 18:04:15 (permalink)
I don't do intensive midi editing. The midi editing features I have in Studio One are more than enough for me. 
I am being optimistic in thinking that Sonar will continue to work for quite some time making midi augmentation in Sonar possible if I decide in the future I need a more in depth midi editor.

Since I had recently upgraded to the most recent version of Studio One it was a no brainer for me. I'm glad I didn't jump into Cubase since it appears there are complications with the new release for a few and obtaining the dongle.

Not many daws offer the kind of possibilities there are in Studio One with respect to hardware line and the connection to Notion software. 

I also bought Mixcraft and I find it is fun to work in for quick arrangement ideas. I haven't been deep into that daw yet. My favored program as of now is Studio One if something happens to my Sonar. 

Three programs are enough for me right now.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

CoteRotie
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1112
Re: Curious....are you guys that are choosing Studio One over Cubase.... 2017/12/13 13:47:33 (permalink)
I bought both S1 and Cubase.  Cubase is disappointing for lack of ARA support and no indication that they are planning to add it, despite boatloads of user requests.

Before I had ARA I didn't know I needed it, but once you have it it's hard to give it up!

So I'll likely use S1 for many things and Cubase when I need the advanced MIDI capabilities. 

I also have Reaper and it's usable as well, though I never gravitated toward it, always used SONAR as my main DAW.

Wait, wait, what key is it in? 

GA-X58A-UD3 motherboard
Intel i7 950 CPU w/12 G RAM
ATI Radeon 4350 graphics
3 cats 1 crazydog
Lynx AES16/Aurora 8
SCA N72 J99 & A12 pres. Adam A7 Monitors
Win 10  
SONAR Platinum 64 bit 
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Curious....are you guys that are choosing Studio One over Cubase.... 2017/12/13 15:13:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby synkrotron 2017/12/13 15:47:23
Cubase suffers from the same aging code issues that Sonar did. It is certainly fully featured, but I find it slugish, convoluted and full of quirks. For me, SO3 is at the right age - new enough to be clean and fast, but far enough along in its development that I can do all I need to. 

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
telecharge
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1180
Re: Curious....are you guys that are choosing Studio One over Cubase.... 2017/12/13 15:39:57 (permalink)
I'm not choosing either. But if I had to choose between the two options in the OP, it would be Cubase because that is the better choice for the way I like to work/play. It may not be yours, and I can appreciate that someone else will choose differently.
denverdrummer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 278
Re: Curious....are you guys that are choosing Studio One over Cubase.... 2017/12/13 18:43:43 (permalink)
I honestly don't get the argument that it's bad to have mature code.  In fact that's usually a good thing.

I've been impressed at the feature content of StudioOne for how relatively young of a product it is, but it's just lacking in feature set compared to Sonar and Cubase.  Some people don't need or don't care about that feature set, and if it works for you, you can do some really cool stuff with it.

But there are some functions that StudioOne is not even close to matching the functionality of Cubase.  Midi is only one area.  The time stretching algorithms and tempo track functions built into Cubase simply blow Studio One out of the water.  Even with the ARA integration and Melodyne you can't match some of those functions with the ease that you can in Cubase, and I'm only scratching the surface.  That comes with advanced coding that goes into Cubase, and from it's long history.

I'm not saying this is good or bad, Studio One is a good product for a huge number of people, but those thinking it will "catch up" with the big guys are not really looking at the differences in lifecycle development for these two products.  Studio One has 3 to 4 years in between major releases, where Cubase being a professional grade product is on a year to year development cycle.

I now have both products and  will continue to use Studio One for certain things.  I love the mastering functionality in it, and if you are trying to compile an album, it's the perfect tool and you'd spend another DAWs worth of money trying to get that same functionality.

However the lack of midi functionality and lack of a real built in channel strip makes me want to do my work elsewhere.  But for folks just getting into home recording, StudioOne would probably be my number one choice for them, as there's not a big learning curve.

I find both Studio One and Cubase really lacking at integrating with Windows 10, and have a very apple centric layout.  That does bug the heck out of me, and is probably the biggest thing I miss in Sonar.  There's no native full screen mode in Windows for either which sucks for laptop users, and the touch screen integration sucks on both for those using Surface tablets or other Windows 10 touch screen devices.  Sonar really had the best touch screen integration and they had it since X2.  Studio One's touch integration is slightly better than Cubase, but it's extremely buggy, but the project page navigation with touch screen is similar to what was in Sonar, just not as well implemented.  However both Studio One and Cubase are better than Sonar for having a dynamically adjusted throw on the faders.  This is extremely important if you want to do any sort of touch screen automation.  Sonar had a fixed length fader and the throw on the fader was really too small for working on surface tablets and such.  Studio One does have the iPad/Android control app as well, but there are other 3rd party control mobile apps that work with Cubase.

You can't go wrong with either, but find one that really fits your needs and budget.  As a general rule I have told people that if you work more with Midi, Cubase is the better route, if you work more with Audio clips you might find Studio One more appealing and easier to work with.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
smallstonefan
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2724
Re: Curious....are you guys that are choosing Studio One over Cubase.... 2017/12/13 21:47:44 (permalink)
Studio One.

I have Ableton which excels at Midi and was mostly exporting tracks to Sonar for final mixing due to Softube Console 1 support. Studio One has comping, ARA Melodyne support, and full Console 1 support so it made the most sense for me.

... and just to say it, I said the lifetime updates made no business sense at the time. :) However, I did not say they made no going-out-of-business sense... :(
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Curious....are you guys that are choosing Studio One over Cubase.... 2017/12/13 21:59:02 (permalink)
tenfoot

For me, SO3 is at the right age - new enough to be clean and fast, but far enough along in its development that I can do all I need to. 

Indeed, that was my thoughts, albeit 3 years or so ago (v3), and it's gotten better by leaps and bounds.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

dappa1
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2949
Re: Curious....are you guys that are choosing Studio One over Cubase.... 2017/12/13 23:00:00 (permalink)
I went for Studio One 3 similar work flow to Sonar with a little Cubase best of both words, the DAW is growing which is a plus. Many people have migrated over so easier to work with other people. Least I wont get no I never heard of that, then the look. When you explain they still look at you. Least I have a DAW quick to load onto your computer doesn't take up much space yet is powerful and efficient. Newish code it is all relative.

Sonar X series 
https://youtu.be/9YNplnhTAZY Steal My Girl
 https://youtu.be/A0VPi_UZmLo Moon & Stars

KRK VXT6 Studio One 3  Main: SPLAT for Lifetime: Formerly known as...
Nothing beats the best!
Maarkr
  • Total Posts : 488
Re: Curious....are you guys that are choosing Studio One over Cubase.... 2017/12/14 00:18:39 (permalink)
Bought Cubase 4 in 2006, used it for a couple of years, then said sayonara! Dongle wasn't a big deal, just leave it plugged in a slot on a USB splitter.  I think I bought Reason after that, which lasted only a couple of years. Then Reaper until I noticed the Sonar expansion.   Problem was a user unfriendly workflow and no support in forums, videos or literature.  I tried S13 for a few days, watched many videos, read lots of manuals and forum posts, then bought it.  Lots of positive comments in earlier posts that I agree with.  I just don't do much really technical stuff so a simpler interface is good.  Editing the band 8 track, making albums and songs with audio and midi... and the project editing feature for mastering is nice also.  

Like I said in another forum, buying this now means that something will happen with Sonar to resurrect it.  Anyway, price was alright so now I have an alternate instead of using Reaper.

Maarkr
Studio: SPALT Lifetime/BL Cakewalk, Studio One 3.5, UAD, Z3ta+2, IKM, NI, Waves, iZotope, Melda, Reaper
i7 3770/Giga Z77 mobo, Win10 Pro-64 w16Gb, MOTU Ultralite MK4, Yamaha HS80M wSub, Live: PX-5S, FA-06, Roland Lucina, Epi Les Paul, Ibanez Bass, Amps, e-drums, Zoom R-16...
Latest album release, NEW! Counry Classic at http://genemaarkr.bandcamp.com/
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Curious....are you guys that are choosing Studio One over Cubase.... 2017/12/14 02:37:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tenfoot 2017/12/14 05:28:42
denverdrummer
I honestly don't get the argument that it's bad to have mature code.  In fact that's usually a good thing.

I don't think it's so much a slam against mature code as it is an argument against bloat.  Most of the times I see mentions of "mature code" it is followed by complaints about outdated plugs and system components that would probably require coding from ground up to clean up the less desirable.  For Sonar that is probably at least part of the reason the Mac port didn't move forward . I'm sure other factors like how unlikely it would be to to compete with Logic's price. Programs that have successfully made the jump from being a longtime windows only program to Mac usually offered something truly unique or some incentive impossible otherwise.  Best example I can think of is Adobe Premiere and Audition.  Both were windows only for years .  Initially Premiere could not compete with final cut on MAC, until creative suite  created a bundle with the monopolized tool every visual artist uses to some degree; photoshop.  The ever tightening integration between  these programs  made this bundle more and more attractive .  Very few companies could reproduce this dynamic.  FL studio (still in beta)  will likely enjoy similar success because there is no MAC equivalent.  

LANEY
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re: Curious....are you guys that are choosing Studio One over Cubase.... 2017/12/14 03:01:34 (permalink)
NO! I like Studio 1 way better than Cubase. Not for price for the DAW

i7/16GB ram
Win 7 x64
SONAR Platinum Producer x64
VS-700 C&R

Octa-Capture and VS-100 for live recording
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1