Helpful ReplyAs popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
guitz
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 232
2017/12/03 10:25:02 (permalink)

As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson?

Unless Gibson ditches their other pro audio lines (KRK, Cerwin Vega, Neat microphones) ... I don't see how they can say they want to 'focus on consumer electronics' more than pro audio....and....is there really much overhead to software??....*puzzled*
 I don't understand...it has GOT to have at least as many users as Cubase et al, across all versions,  right? Otoh, it bounced from owner to owner in recent years so something must've been amiss....
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 10:31:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Pathfinder 2017/12/03 14:18:10
THIS

might shed some light on it.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 10:56:25 (permalink)
They mean they want to focus on hifis, radios, batteries etc. associated with the purchase of the Consumer Electronics division of Philips they made in 2014.

http://www.gibsoninnovations.com/en/our-brands/philips

Unfortunately, having publicly committed to a monthly continuous delivery model makes it impossible to move from a development mode to just maintenance mode without everybody noticing.
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 11:08:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Pathfinder 2017/12/03 14:23:37
Another factor could be that a fair percentage of those many users may well be quite happily running older versions, from which there is zero revenue.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 11:23:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby MANTRASKY 2017/12/03 11:38:56
I don't think Sonar is/was as popular as we would like to believe.  As I talked to others in recording I was the only one using Sonar.  

The Gibson acquisition as it appears didn't do it any favors.  Face it, a company doesn't dump something if its profitable and maybe even marginally profitable.  Finally, Gibson appears to want to get on the consumer electronics bandwagon and I would be surprised if other brands they have go the way of Sonar or get sold off.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
THambrecht
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 867
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 11:34:23 (permalink)
Gibson must pay debts $500 Mill. until summer 2018.
It is possible that Gibson is next year insolvent and the name and company of Gibson is selled.
So Gibson must concentrate on there core bussiness.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
Wibbles
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 404
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 11:35:43 (permalink)

Q: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson?

A: Costs greater than turnover, therefore loss incurred.

Next question

I'm off to see the Wibble, the wonderful Wibble of Wobble

guitz
  • Total Posts : 232
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 11:37:55 (permalink)
fireberd
I don't think Sonar is/was as popular as we would like to believe.  

It probably is roughly the same as Cubase et al....
jamesg1213
THIS

might shed some light on it.

That was interesting!

MANTRASKY
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 170
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 11:59:49 (permalink)
fireberd
I don't think Sonar is/was as popular as we would like to believe.  As I talked to others in recording I was the only one using Sonar.  

The Gibson acquisition as it appears didn't do it any favors.  Face it, a company doesn't dump something if its profitable and maybe even marginally profitable.  Finally, Gibson appears to want to get on the consumer electronics bandwagon and I would be surprised if other brands they have go the way of Sonar or get sold off.

That's exactly my experience, most if not all of the Professional studios never used Sonar, though they tried it and their iterations and felt it wasn't up to Pro-Level with so many "Bugs & Crashes?" I felt like I was the only one to believe in it? Even though Sonar "Crashed many times" I stayed with it. Since moving to S1 with heavy recording schedule "Rock Solid" and became 2nd nature surprisingly fast, "Very Nice DAW". 

THambrecht
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 867
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 12:09:56 (permalink)
We had a lot of sound engineers in our studio that laughed about SONAR.
But as they saw what we do, they were absolute surprised. They all said, that there ProTools or Logic cann't do that.
They all remembered very early versions from SONAR about he year 2000 and never had a look on this software.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 12:11:37 (permalink)
Wibbles

A: Costs greater than turnover, therefore loss incurred.

I think you are absolutely correct and there is no better way to put it.

- Some (not all) staff probably made good money.
- Think about where they are located (in Boston) that's big money to rent.
- Latest program "Momentum" probably didn't sell half as much as was expected in the first few weeks.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

SiberianKhatru59
  • Total Posts : 235
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 12:15:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby THambrecht 2017/12/03 12:18:36
Gibson's management style and philosophies could kill a merged company consisting of Google and Apple.

I wouldn't trust them to park my car.

SONAR Platinum, Win7 Home Premium 64bit, Sweetwater Creation Station CS250v21 (Ivy Bridge Core i5 3.4Ghz CPU, 12GB DDR3/1600Mhz RAM, 500GB/1TB Seagate Barracuda system/audio drives, SATA 6.0, USB 3.0), M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB, 2x KRK Rokit 5's, Yamaha MO8
JohnEgan
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 13:11:48 (permalink)
I guess they've succumbed to the corporate greed business model, perhaps long ago, far from its simpler luthier roots, and we're all victims of the digital age. Despite all its benefits, it may have been nicer back in the day when if you wanted to collaborate with another studio all you did was give them the tape, but a lot of time and work involved. Nowadays I guess its a more cutthroat survival of the fittest's proprietary system, and making it more difficult to share projects between different DAW manufacturers. Albeit we do have midi, OMF, VST, wav standards, so if you know what your doing, and familiar with the various DAW's and keep this in mind when using any DAW it may not be that difficult to collaborate between various DAW's conventions. With the constantly and quickly evolving digital technologies its hard to ride the wave if you dont adapt quickly to new digital/computer technologies, and have the resources to totally scrape older technologies, and start anew taking advantage of new technologies.
Cakewalk was one of the company's to be on the forefront of these audio/music based technologies, and was a leader that inspired others to try and equal and better them, even up till the present with Sonar being on the forefront of adapting to touch technologies, in direct collaboration with Microsoft.

I guess what makes it the most sad is to think that Cakewalk's legacy may not continue to survive and evolve.

Cheers

John Egan
Sonar Platinum (2017-10),RME-UFX, PC-CPU - i7-5820, 3.3 GHz, 6 core, ASUS X99-AII, 16GB ram, GTX 960, 500 GB SSD, 2TB HDD x 2, Win7 Pro x64,  O8N2 Advanced, Melodyne Studio,.... (2 cats :(,  in the yard).

cityrat
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 671
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 14:12:40 (permalink)
They're $500 mil in debt for a reason.  They make products that aren't competitive and the management cant figure out how how to fix things and at the same time not spend as much.

So the only avenue left is to somehow increase stock price.  They cant do it by actually MAKING things, so the only thing left is to say that by doing xyz they will generate more growth.  Thats the only thing that you cant actually (yet) measure, so it's easier to "make stuff up" about how doing xyz will blacken the skys with some new consumer product.  Lather rinse repeat.  Always keep moving, dont let them actually see the smoke and mirrors.

Its a generic trend all over the industry.

Sonar Platinum | Windows 7 64 bit SP1 | Intel i5 3570 3.4GHz | 8GB RAM | Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H | OCZ SSD | RME 9632
VinylJunkie
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 939
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 14:13:51 (permalink)
THambrecht
We had a lot of sound engineers in our studio that laughed about SONAR.
But as they saw what we do, they were absolute surprised. They all said, that there ProTools or Logic cann't do that.
They all remembered very early versions from SONAR about he year 2000 and never had a look on this software.

I think that's about right. Sonar had a poor reputation that it couldn't shake off. Just visit other forums like Gearslutz to see what others thought about it without ever using it. 

VJ
sonarman1
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 14:55:13 (permalink)
Sonar wasn't as popular as cubase. People who use it love it but many don't choose Sonar, for many unknown reasons its name is not popular among the pro audio community. Being around a few people in the industry I can say for sure its less popular. Most people in the industry dont implement any novelty in their choices. Its always about what daw all of their friends use, what daw their fav producer use. Or in most cases what daw they taught them in the school they went . Sonar doesn't score good there. The audio industry is all mac and sonar is not even a choice. Despite these sonar was doing good. It was in no way in its death bed. Its unfortunate to go in the hands of Gibson. 
RickJP909
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 155
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 15:01:20 (permalink)
For all the backlash that Roland got at the time which I thought was grossly unfair, Roland tried to embed Cakewalk into their ecosystem by selling Sonar as part of the range of audio/studio gear like audio and MIDI interfaces plus control surfaces.  They also introduced hardware which they branded Cakewalk, all in the name of cross-pollinating the two companies and thus giving Cakewalk exposure in different markets with a brand that go back to the late 60s!

Those are the facts that happened so one has to ask, if it was successful, why did they sell them to Gibson?  It seems that actually, it wasn't successful and according to the way some have interpreted the published figures for Cakewalk, it was making a loss thus they sold it to Gibson.

Now, Gibson have had a lot of flack over this but I believe Craig Anderton regarding the fact that they really wanted it to work and were going to embed it into their Tascam ecosystem, which by the looks of it, with an over-saturated DAW market, seems to be the way to get the buy-in, give a basic version away with your hardware and demo it at every opportunity working seamlessly with your hardware!

So another question, what happened to the brand of "Sonar by Tascam Professional Audio Software" which was going to be set-up, why didn't that happen?

Even though it seems that Gibson have purchased a number of companies over the years and then closed them down, perhaps they've had a habit of buying struggling companies with the hope that adding them into their ecosystem, they can turn them around so in this case, I don't completely blame Gibson until we know more facts!

From my perspective, very sadly this looks like an old battle which went badly wrong - the VHS vs Betamax war!  We all know that Betamax was the superior system but the marketing of VHS won the day.  I see Sonar in this light because now having had a look at other DAWs, its become very evident that Sonar with its Skylight GUI was superior to any other DAW and the technological capability of Sonar outstrips most other DAWs in one way or the other - ARA, MIDI, VST3 support, ProChannel, the recent quality of VST's which got bundled, no hardware dongle and the list goes on and on.

Because Cakewalk hasn't been completely shutdown, I'm hopeful that this is Gibson leaving one last remaining door open so that there is a possibility of this phoenix somehow rising up again however hard and find its way because I don't believe there is any other better DAW out there.

Cheers to the Sonar phoenix - "let there be light"...

Synth Hardware Aficionado!  Moog Sub 37, Roland MKS-70/XV-5080/JV-1000/JP-8000/JP-8080/Boutique JP-08, Oberheim Matrix-1000, Korg EX-8000/MS2000B, Novation Super Bass Station/A-Station/Drum Station 2/Supernova 2, E-MU Orbit-3, Edirol UM-550/880, Lexicon MX300, Akai MPD226, Mackie ProFX22, M-Audio Delta Soundcard.  PC: AMD FX-6350, 8GB RAM, Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Sonar X2a Producer/Platinum (32-bit).
sonarman1
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 15:04:45 (permalink)
Reposting here. This is the facebook fanbase of these official facebook pages.

Cakewalk Soft 143k
Presonus 218k
Pro Tools 140K
Avid 185K
Steinberg 203K
Ableton 622k
Ableton Live 253k

This can by no mean help us know the market share but these numbers do matter. Ableton Live is for sure having a huge userbase. Protools despite low fanbase is used a lot by pros and is sold along with Avid Hardware. That makes lot of profit. Ableton also sells hardware controllers. So I guess Ableton and Pro Tools has huge market share. 

Presonus is doing well and they are good at selling hardwares as well. They must be making very good profits. 

Cubase is heavily priced and still has long standing followers. Steinberg might not be doing excellent business as Ableton and Avid but I dont think they will go down anytime. If at all any such situation occurs I am sure its loyal millionaire producers will fund it. 

Despite not covering the huge mac userbase cakewalk was successful. They weren't doing excellent in the market but they were doing fine. The problem is they had no expensive hardware to sell along with it to make business. And very unfortunate to land in the hands of Gibson 

SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 15:19:18 (permalink)
tenfoot
Another factor could be that a fair percentage of those many users may well be quite happily running older versions, from which there is zero revenue.

There is also zero revenue from those using the current version on a lifetime S-Plat licence who choose not to purchase any of the much-vaunted add-ons.

I still fail to completely understand the benefits to GibWalk of such a business plan over the previous 'annual upgrade' model.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 15:28:22 (permalink)
guitz
....is there really much overhead to software??....*puzzled*
There is most definitely a ton of overhead in software. Let's use your cited examples to compare. Let's take Cerwin Vega for example. They want to build a speaker cabinet so an engineer designs it and provides all the spec required for manufacture. A few prototypes are built and tested. Perhaps some tweaks are implemented and tested. And then you're done. The speaker goes into production development stops and the engineer goes on to other projects. 

You do all the same stuff on the software side except development doesn't stop when the project goes into the production phase. The engineer remains married to that project full time because inevitably things will be broken right from day one. And of course Windows updates come out monthly which can cause issues needing to be patched.

From an engineering perspective, software is much more costly than hardware.

I don't understand...it has GOT to have at least as many users as Cubase et al, across all versions,  right? 
That has not been my experience. I don't know the numbers but based on the people I know and those I've met, the Sonar user base pales in comparison.

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
dcmg
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 393
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 15:32:31 (permalink)
As so many others have pointed out, SONAR never really had the "pro street cred" of PT and others.
Financially, Avid conditioned its users to a cost of doing business that was higher and reinforced that notion that this is the cost of playing with the big boys. Pros and novices alike bought into that.

SONAR, on the other had....had ( has?) users that whine about $99 upgrades and complain about not getting their "lifetime" of software updates. Apparently that's not a very lucrative market 

Which begs a question: Knowing what you know now, how many of you might have happily paid a little bit more if you knew it was the difference between keeping SONAR alive and having it shuttered?

<raises hand>

CWBL/SPlat/Studio One Pro on Win10-64 Bit
Asrock H370 Pro4 w/Intel i7-8700
16GB Adata DDR4 2666 RAM
All SSD's/ On-Board Intel Graphics
Apollo 8 Quad FW/TB, AD2, Trillian, Omni, S-Gear, Waves, Soundtoys, TRacks, 
MicPres: Langevin DVC, Great River, UAD LA610Mk2. 
Dynaudio Monitors, and other stuff.
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 15:39:13 (permalink)
jpetersen
They mean they want to focus on hifis, radios, batteries etc. associated with the purchase of the Consumer Electronics division of Philips they made in 2014.

http://www.gibsoninnovations.com/en/our-brands/philips

Unfortunately, having publicly committed to a monthly continuous delivery model makes it impossible to move from a development mode to just maintenance mode without everybody noticing.

That’s nice but I fail to see the connection with this and Cakewalk. If Gibson doesn’t see profits in continuing Cakewalk products because they made the dumb move (or crooked move) of selling Lifetime updates then they should just say so because this makes no sense unless you assume they planned to sell the lifetime updates, offer some... for a while, then take the money and run while lying about the reason to avoid liability. They should refund people who bought lifetime updates in good faith. Is anyone here an attorney? I’d actually feel better about it if they told the truth. This Phillips is not the reason, rather it’s an excuse.
J

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 15:47:12 (permalink)
sonarman1
Despite not covering the huge mac userbase cakewalk was successful. They weren't doing excellent in the market but they were doing fine.

Not sure I understand this reasoning. "Successful" is a subjective term, but we can for our purposes define it here as something which at least manages to stay afloat and make a profit. If Cakewalk had been successful it wouldn't have been sold and offloaded twice, and there would be a line of investors interested in it now. 

The problem Sonar had was that it was not attracting enough new users. Its user base is aging, and that's why in my mid 40's I almost feel like one of the "young'uns" around here. There's nothing wrong with that per se, and it's resulted in one of the wisest, most knowledgeable and mature audio production communities on the internet. Unfortunately that does not translate to a healthy revenue stream. 

That was Cakewalk's problem. It's not to say that Cakewalk couldn't have turned it around - of course they could. But not with a soulless husk of a company like Gibson cracking the whip. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 15:47:58 (permalink)
Sonar is not that popular.
In many ways it's the Dangerfield of Daws.
Maybe because Cakewalk sounds like a bakery and SONAR while technically correct, it overthinking it.
Momentum is a strange name for a mobile idea catcher.

There is little wrong with the code or what it does compared to it's peers.
It's called by some dorky monikers. And that's bad. After while you don't want to say you use
SONAR. It's kinda like RADAR which is / was also a daw.

But what do I know.
SteveStrummerUK
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 16:04:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jbow 2017/12/03 21:30:38
jbow

That’s nice but I fail to see the connection with this and Cakewalk. If Gibson doesn’t see profits in continuing Cakewalk products because they made the dumb move (or crooked move) of selling Lifetime updates then they should just say so because this makes no sense unless you assume they planned to sell the lifetime updates, offer some... for a while, then take the money and run while lying about the reason to avoid liability. They should refund people who bought lifetime updates in good faith. Is anyone here an attorney? I’d actually feel better about it if they told the truth. This Phillips is not the reason, rather it’s an excuse.
J

Hi Julien

According to an ex-Cakewalk employee's exposé on Reddit, the lifetime update model was dreamt up and implemented by Cakewalk, not Gibson.

To quote:

.... The lifetime plan was a Cakewalk idea, not a Gibson one. To elaborate "the plan" for lifetime was:
  • Be like FL Studio and make updates free
  • Offer compelling add-ons. Kind of like Project5 where you could buy extra stuff if you needed it. This could be more pluggable features like Drum Replacer and effects like the Adaptive Limiter
  • Lure in lots of new customers with the free updates for life thing
The plan wasnt followed and after 6-8 months of stagnation not a single compelling/sellable feature or plugin was ready.

bdickens
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 847
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 16:10:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2017/12/03 16:32:37
dcmg

SONAR, on the other had....had ( has?) users that whine about $99 upgrades and complain about not getting their "lifetime" of software updates. Apparently that's not a very lucrative market 

No kidding.... You can't make money selling stuff to people with no money.

Nor is "lose money on every sale, but make up for it in volume" a profitable business strategy.

Byron Dickens
Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 16:25:45 (permalink)
cakewalk hasn't got a big market share, never did.
many daw makers aligned themselves with hardware makers.. pretty much had to..

I found it over engineered to be honest.. e.g. drum maps or how reason rewire was implemented.
the staff are / were capable.. but they never addressed the elephants in the room .e.g scoring.

I dislike aspects of other daws also. e.g. studio one, isn't so great for my midi sound stuff.. and cubase is a bit too eager to ask for cash,and I've never seen the update on sale.. but is better with the midi stuff... reason should have stayed a rack style thing.. even some of their own artists mix down in a daw.

it would have been nice if it had worked out better with roland I felt.. but it just came across cakewalk was writing drivers for them, and roland were try to flog hardware.

presonus did that better in the sense of the faderport is functional outside studio one.. but really shines when used with studio one.

it's the balance of .. is it cheaper to build a new daw from scratch ... or re-use sonar's code if someone bought it off gibson. people like Noel obv. know it inside out, and I'd not be surprised if he was "jaded" with the whole pro audio thing, to do something else. It's a bit like when your hobby becomes your job.. it's different.

the market is crowded, thats for sure. maybe better to do something with VST's etc. where the userbase is far bigger, but obv. end prices are smaller.

SteveStrummerUK
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 16:32:22 (permalink)
dcmg

SONAR, on the other had....had ( has?) users that whine about $99 upgrades and complain about not getting their "lifetime" of software updates.

So what?

The customer is king. Once they've paid for something, they're entitled to express an opinion on whether it represents value for money or not, or whether or not they believe they've received what they paid for.

dcmg

Which begs a question: Knowing what you know now, how many of you might have happily paid a little bit more if you knew it was the difference between keeping SONAR alive and having it shuttered?

Judging by the reaction overall, I would imagine most users would have happily continued to pay for an annual 'upgrade' (maybe even pay a bit more) if it meant Cakewalk stayed in business.

The problem appears to be that only half of the lifetime updates model was fulfilled, and for whatever reason Cakewalk did not deliver the extras that would entice new and existing customers to part with their cash.

DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 16:37:31 (permalink)
How many here think the name CakeWalk might have had a little something to do with their demise? That name always causes me to cringe a bit. If you had a mega studio trying to attract business would you want to be known for using software named after a child's game?

From what I have gleaned from the reddit posts and Craig's posts here, it sounds like they were rudderless. They would create a course and set off but midway to their destination would come up with a different course and start off again. Kinda sounds like they were stuck in the middle of the ocean, as it were, going nowhere fast. They never reached their goal of profitability as they were going in circles. Look at Momentum. It was practically dead before it was even released. It was given one week or so to make or break them? smh

It also sounds like their sales group was completely incompetent.

As to Philips, has anyone actually bought anything Philips that wasn't a light bulb? Where I work, we were offered discounts on philips shtuff. Some people bought their TV's but there were problems with them. We learned to stay away from Philips. Maybe they do better outside of the US... All-in-all, it sounds to me that Philips is just a 500 million ton anchor that is going to pull them to bankruptcy.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: As popular as SONAR is, how was it not financially sound for Gibson? 2017/12/03 16:39:40 (permalink)
Philips are big in Europe

just a sec

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1