Helpful ReplyBeen Trying SONAR with a USB 3.0 Flash Drive

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
Re: Been Trying SONAR with a USB 3.0 Flash Drive 2017/12/13 19:21:42 (permalink)
tenfoot
musicroom

This caused a ripple cringe in my normal blase morning. 

Haha. Nice. Awesome turn of phrase:)

Thanks Bruce!   :)

Dave
Songs

Audioicon
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 349
Re: Been Trying SONAR with a USB 3.0 Flash Drive 2017/12/14 00:55:02 (permalink)
chuckebaby
Man we are all hurting right now (Because of what happened to Cakewalk).
Just enjoy the last few weeks (or how ever long we have left here on Cakewalks death row) and try to take away something from this forum. Its been good to all of us over the years.

the last thing we need right now is to start arguing with each other over petty shet like thumb drives.
Im sure you know what I mean. 

That account is likely fake. The first post and an attack on Anderton.

Am I missing something?

Checkout my new song: Playing on YouTube: EUPHORIA.
Audioicon
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 349
Re: Been Trying SONAR with a USB 3.0 Flash Drive 2017/12/14 00:57:39 (permalink)
dcmg
Ooh...I guess he showed us.
He left.
He even unbookmarked us. 

Is that a real account? Looks like an impersonation.

Checkout my new song: Playing on YouTube: EUPHORIA.
DonM
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4129
Re: Been Trying SONAR with a USB 3.0 Flash Drive 2017/12/14 01:23:02 (permalink)
I seem to recall there are several functional components in a storage workflow.  Several here have mentioned the Read/Write lifecycle of some solid state storage devices, there are the variances in controller circuits (some even introduce noise into the USB chain as I recall)  Also I seem to remember reading that USB is a 'Hub Technology' I don't know what that exactly means, but someone on this forum I believe described that as a shared bus to access memory. This is beyond my technical understanding, but my functional understanding left me with the conclusion that some I/O technologies have more direct access to the data being written to them.  In summary an focusing on Craig's original question ... I wonder if there are some USB3 drives that may better suited for the type of use case we as DAW users are looking for.  Great question Craig, and I am glad to hear of all the projects you're working on - I still have your first CD somewhere in the Library ....

-D

rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re: Been Trying SONAR with a USB 3.0 Flash Drive 2017/12/14 05:58:19 (permalink)
Psychobillybob
You guys be sure to kill the lights when you leave...this place stopped being relevant when Gibson bought it.

I'm outta here no more reason to even have this place in my bookmarks.

Selah.

selah    ...nice ending
happy trails
BJN
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: Been Trying SONAR with a USB 3.0 Flash Drive 2017/12/14 10:05:41 (permalink)
Seems like a good idea, never really thought about it. I have accidentally recorded to one a few times. Then there is the bootable Reaper DAW on flash but running sample libraries or even the files themselves seems fine and have the backing up routine in cold. 

-------------------------------------------------------
Magic: when you feel inspired to create which in turn inspires more creation.

And the corollary: if magic happens inspiration might flog it to death with numerous retakes.
Bart Nettle
cparmerlee
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re: Been Trying SONAR with a USB 3.0 Flash Drive 2017/12/14 22:15:24 (permalink)
Anderton
It works pretty well, and if you install the Rapture Pro content in a fast flash drive and point to it, the sounds launch wicked fast. I got a 128 GB drive for $30 - definitely worth it. Don't know if you can record a zillion 96 kHz tracks to it, but for regular songs, it works very well for playback. Does anyone think using a flash drive for doing projects  isn't a good idea?

Are you booting from teh USB drive?  At 128 GB, I am guessing you are booting normally and then launching SONAR from the thumb drive.

It should be possible to build an entire bootable system on a thumb drive.  If you unplug from the Internet whenever you boot up this way, you should be able to use SONAR indefinitely -- at least until you have to change PC hardware.  And with tools like Paragon, you could probably even survive a hardware change.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Been Trying SONAR with a USB 3.0 Flash Drive 2017/12/14 23:42:51 (permalink)
cparmerlee
Anderton
It works pretty well, and if you install the Rapture Pro content in a fast flash drive and point to it, the sounds launch wicked fast. I got a 128 GB drive for $30 - definitely worth it. Don't know if you can record a zillion 96 kHz tracks to it, but for regular songs, it works very well for playback. Does anyone think using a flash drive for doing projects  isn't a good idea?

Are you booting from teh USB drive?  At 128 GB, I am guessing you are booting normally and then launching SONAR from the thumb drive.

No, just using it as a place to park samples for fast loading, and playback of projects. The reason for this thread was to ask what people thought about using them for complete projects. The consensus aside from the self-admitted psycho seems to be "yes, but don't trust it." Since I don't trust any storage media, that's easy advice for me to follow :)  I just trust thumb drives less.

It should be possible to build an entire bootable system on a thumb drive.  If you unplug from the Internet whenever you boot up this way, you should be able to use SONAR indefinitely -- at least until you have to change PC hardware.  And with tools like Paragon, you could probably even survive a hardware change.

Very interesting, and pretty clever IMHO.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Been Trying SONAR with a USB 3.0 Flash Drive 2017/12/15 00:05:29 (permalink)
No, windows will not work on a USB or esata drive for the boot partition. I tried and tried. Linux, however.. .

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Unknowen
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: Been Trying SONAR with a USB 3.0 Flash Drive 2017/12/15 00:24:34 (permalink)
I didn't realize that this was possible. personally I have had usb drives fail but if this would work with a usb external hard drive... that would be cool and save me time.

Hay look,
Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019
gswitz
Re: Been Trying SONAR with a USB 3.0 Flash Drive 2017/12/15 01:31:49 (permalink)
I want to mention internal ssd works twice as fast at least as through USB 3.

I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
cparmerlee
Re: Been Trying SONAR with a USB 3.0 Flash Drive 2017/12/15 02:29:23 (permalink)
gswitz
No, windows will not work on a USB or esata drive for the boot partition. I tried and tried. Linux, however.. .

I have not done it, but this article seems to say it is indeed possible:
https://www.pcmag.com/art...ws-10-from-a-usb-drive

OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
gswitz
Re: Been Trying SONAR with a USB 3.0 Flash Drive 2017/12/16 00:29:46 (permalink)
In truth, I tried to do it with Windows 7 and 8 not 10.

M$
But that program works only with the Enterprise version of Windows 10 and requires a certified Windows To Go drive. 

This isn't a standard USB drive.

https://smile.amazon.com/64GB-DataTraveler-Workspace-Certified-Windows/dp/B00A48LB6K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513384256&sr=8-3&keywords=windows+to+go

$180 for something you can get for $15 (same size) for Linux.

All said, at least it's finally possible for Windows. Now windows junkies can install Linux and when they want Windows boot to a thumb drive.

cparmerlee
Re: Been Trying SONAR with a USB 3.0 Flash Drive 2017/12/16 01:03:22 (permalink)
gswitz
M$
But that program works only with the Enterprise version of Windows 10 and requires a certified Windows To Go drive. 

Interesting.  I didn't know about that program.  Here is more detail on it:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-to-go-overview

I don't see any indication that Microsoft is imposing a big royalty on it.  It does appear that the drive supplier has to add some firmware features that allow Microsoft to protect their property.  It must not be a very popular feature (Enterprise only) because it was announced 5 years ago, yet there are only a few compatible thumb drives out there.

The requirement for the Pro level of OS probably makes this a non-starter.  So I am back to the idea of using Hyper-V as a way to lock up a stable platform for the long term.  I can't find anybody who has actually done this.  The following thread has a bunch of people saying "Ohhh noes, you can't do that", but later in the thread there is a detailed comment from a person who seems to know a lot about Hyper-V.  His assessment is it is possible with caveats.

Six years ago, I ran a commercial environment where we had 3 large servers running a dozen virtual machines, and some of those VMs were very performance-critical, real-time systems doing hundreds of transactions per second.  VM technology (both in the software and in the Intel platform support) is really quite impressive and works in many cases that people don't expect it to.

sonocrafters.com
gswitz
Re: Been Trying SONAR with a USB 3.0 Flash Drive 2017/12/16 01:19:11 (permalink)
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-8.1-and-8/jj592680(v=ws.11)#is-windows-to-go-supported-on-both-usb-20-and-usb-30-drives

Is Windows To Go supported on both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 drives?
No. Windows To Go is supported on USB 3.0 drives that are certified for Windows To Go.

Idk if that means it may work but it's your problem if it doesn't. I'm not sure.

I just know I've been running Linux on USB for 8 years or so and it works on all kinds of tiny and terrible USB drives. Puppy Linux through Ubuntu Studio.

I'm getting tempted to try it.

https://www.pcmag.com/art...ws-10-from-a-usb-drive

The first time you use your Windows 10 drive on a different computer, you'll need to establish the necessary Wi-Fi password and other settings. You'll also need to activate Windows 10 each time you use the USB drive on a different PC, so it's best you log in with your Microsoft account, which is linked to your digital license.

Studioguy1
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 244
Re: Been Trying SONAR with a USB 3.0 Flash Drive 2017/12/17 04:35:54 (permalink)
Gee, I am rather surprised at the negative comments on what is a possibility and certainly a viable thought as things improve.  I have used them for temporary storage of projects for a long time with no problem.  I can easily run between computers and daw formats and it works well.  Of course, I back up everything.  But I see no reason to jump all over a possibility because it may not be my way of doing things.  That's plain crazy.

Current happy user of Cakewalk by BandLab;
Former Sonar Platinum lifetime plan;
Okie Duke, The Duke Of The Lehigh Valley
Sound Syndicate Studios-Recording and Production
HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 8 Gb ram
Windows 7 Premium (x64) Service Pack 1
 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2670QM
Hitachi [Hard drive] (750.16 GB)
- 2 Tb external Drive - U-Phoria UMC204HD usb - Triton Keyboard - and much more.
Blue Clown Records Ltd
Blue Clown Publishing BMI
Okie Duke Promotions Ltd
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1