Helpful ReplyDid Cakewalk overreach?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Did Cakewalk overreach? 2017/12/31 09:01:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2017/12/31 16:43:48
I think Cakewalk's demise was simply down to money and management decisions. Sonar is a great DAW, I don't think there was any fault in Sonar itself to cause Cakewalk's demise.

In any product business, sooner or later you have to manage the balance between new sales and renewals. Once you get to the point where you've saturated the market (or your market share obviously isn't increasing), then setting yourself up to comfortably survive on renewals should be the goal. That way new sales are a bonus, but you don't have to rely on them.

Of course keeping your existing customer base, and ensuring renewal costs are at the right level is vital here.

Here are a few areas where I think is where things went wrong for Cakewalk:

1. Sonar X1: The workflow changed significantly here, and although it was arguably better, it took me a while to get used to the new interface and workflow. It was also pretty buggy. Not everyone would have stuck with Sonar at this point, i.e. if you're going to have to learn a new workflow anyhow, then why not try out other DAW's?

2. The "rent to buy" / "subscription" thing: I think the confusion and initial backlash over this put a lot of people off and hurt Cakewalk.

3. Lifetime upgrades: This was a novel idea, but it could only be successful if combined with decent new sales and plenty of paid-for additional content. This obviously didn't happen. You need sustainable income from somewhere: either it's from upgrades, or it's from new sales or content.

So the alternative would have been to stick with the old model, however looking at the figures around the time Roland took over Cakewalk, this obviously wasn't working either.

I think all of the above was done in good faith to try to turn things around, but it just didn't work out.

As a software development manager myself who has just semi-retired a product, there's a few things that maybe Cakewalk could have done:

1. Recognise that Sonar is a pretty complete DAW, and focus on bug fixes/stability rather than new features for the core product... at least for a a year or two in any case.

2. Focus on ease of maintenance by investing in automation, code refactoring and removing any deprecated code that is causing maintenance headaches. In my day job we managed to get a 130+ workforce working on one product down to around 6 people (with most of the other staff now working on new products). It took about a year to get it to that state, but now at least it's financially viable in maintenance mode - i.e. the support revenue more than covers the remaining staff costs.

3. For new development, maybe focus on added value than on the core product. These could be modularised and sold accordingly. Things like:
 - Integration with notation software, wave editing software, composition tools etc
 - Hardware specific modules (like say having the ProChannel leverage the internal DSP's of RME / Tascam interfaces) - SoftTube Console 1 is a good example, but it was way too expensive.
 - Better project migration/import/export from other DAWS. IMHO this would be a HUGE selling point for pro studios (especially ProTools import/export).

4. For future core development, take a step back from trying to innovate. Let the other DAWs innovate first, try it out, and improve on it. It seems to me that's what Cakewalks's competition have been doing for years, so try beating them at their own game.

The most important thing here however is knowing your customer base, balancing cost/return on investment, and getting your priorities right. There's no point in introducing features that won't be widely used or appreciated.

Just my 2p's worth...

M.
anydmusic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Did Cakewalk overreach? 2017/12/31 15:25:28 (permalink)
SandlinJohn
sharke
<snip>

Add to this the fact that no well known producers or artists are open about using it, and the fact that a negligible fraction of a percentage of the production videos you see online feature Sonar, and it's not hard to see why it was having so much trouble attracting new users. 

<snip>

Well, there is this: http://www.cakewalk.com/Artist

Of course you could argue these folks are not well known.

Is this the type of endorsee that might have helped?

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/accessories/alan_parsons_dvd_tutorials.html 

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Did Cakewalk overreach? 2017/12/31 16:45:31 (permalink)
Excellent post (#31) Mark (msmcleod)

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Did Cakewalk overreach? 2017/12/31 16:52:01 (permalink)
SandlinJohn

Hah, TC Spitfire was a bandmate with my son when he was just TC. I used to record him in the 90s.
Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Did Cakewalk overreach? 2017/12/31 18:06:20 (permalink)
SandlinJohn
sharke
<snip>

Add to this the fact that no well known producers or artists are open about using it, and the fact that a negligible fraction of a percentage of the production videos you see online feature Sonar, and it's not hard to see why it was having so much trouble attracting new users. 

<snip>

Of course you could argue these folks are not well known.

And there are several in this list that are not only known, but legendary. Steven Slate regularly uses Cubase to demo his plugins.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/artists/steinbergartists.html

Cubase is proof that you don't need to be a loop-based daw to succeed. Does it do loop construction well? Yes. But, it also does a lot of other genres, and the features are extended compared to Sonar.

According to the Reddit thread, there were more managers than developers. Never a good sign unless it's something small like cranking out apps.

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Did Cakewalk overreach? 2017/12/31 18:25:50 (permalink)
Hah Hah. That Zimmer photo is only about 20 years old.
jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: Did Cakewalk overreach? 2018/01/01 11:56:49 (permalink)
I got the impression Cakewalk was trying to squash everything into Sonar.
You can only sell one Sonar, so to speak. Leave Sonar to its existing user base.

A new product that borrows the best ideas from current DAWs
would have been a real new product to sell.
It could have leveraged some existing code from Sonar.
Project 7?

But Cakewalk also needed reputation, visibility and market awareness.

I notice on the Ableton forums people complain so little has improved
but users are being asked to pay the next expensive upgrade again.
In other words, reputation and reality can diverge.

Marketing is important. And at Cakewalk, this was lacking.

kzmaier
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
Re: Did Cakewalk overreach? 2018/01/02 16:16:41 (permalink)
Marketing.  There was none.

Best Regards,
Ken
Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Did Cakewalk overreach? 2018/01/02 19:31:29 (permalink)
jpetersen
Leave Sonar to its existing user base.

That's kind of why it died. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
CakeAlexSHere
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 577
Re: Did Cakewalk overreach? 2018/01/03 01:54:06 (permalink)
sharke
They really needed to spend a hell of a lot more on fixing existing bugs and quirks, many of which have plagued the program across multiple versions and given it a bad reputation. Its development team was no doubt stretched too far and things just weren't adding up. 

Yup. I lost count how many bugs I logged in the end. Only 3 or so got fixed and the rest of issues stayed open without anybody looking at them. Instead we got drum replacer, vocal align, and shiny. It DID get better, but bakers were not transparent enough. You would only hear from the bakers for a few days after release...and they would just pick their favourite issue and leave the rest hanging. Then you would have to listen to the Andertonian propaganda.

Anyway, yes who cares. Nice to see some maturity here about this. There was a time when if something like this was even mentioned a brawl would break out, every single time.
DannyDee
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 71
Re: Did Cakewalk overreach? 2018/01/03 23:08:24 (permalink)
one day this will seem like a dream
like recording with DAT
so, I don't suss the angst
CakeAlexSHere
Re: Did Cakewalk overreach? 2018/01/04 03:33:26 (permalink)
jpetersen
Leave Sonar to its existing user base.

sharke 
That's kind of why it died. 

That's EXACTLY why it died.
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Did Cakewalk overreach? 2018/01/04 05:13:40 (permalink)
Yes, it was the old hobbyist farts that killed it. And the endless requests for staff view improvements, don't forget that, since you're in the market for scapegoats.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

CakeAlexSHere
Re: Did Cakewalk overreach? 2018/01/04 05:48:43 (permalink)
michael diemer
Yes, it was the old hobbyist farts that killed it. And the endless requests for staff view improvements, don't forget that, since you're in the market for scapegoats.

Staff view was mentioned on that Reddit thread by a former cakewalk employee. There was never really any intention to develop it further simply because it was too much effort (more effort = more money).

I don't think staff view killed Cakewalk.

Old farts maybe ;)

Personally I think bad marketing and failure to listen to customers outside their own bubble. And lack of concentration on legacy bugs and code.

ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Did Cakewalk overreach? 2018/01/04 17:06:22 (permalink)
Alex, why did you come back? Nobody has missed you and yet here you are, back at your old haunt, doing the same things that got you turfed out. It's really sad that you couldn't just move on and have decided to come back here and have one last kick at Sonar. Pathetic man, really sad.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
CakeAlexSHere
Re: Did Cakewalk overreach? 2018/01/04 17:23:14 (permalink)
^^
Actually what got me turfed out is responding to these sort of confrontations and letting myself get wound up by it, so forgive me if I don't engage any further. Happy New year Amp.
iRelevant
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
Re: Did Cakewalk overreach? 2018/01/05 02:38:33 (permalink)
I don't see any failure here, my Sonars are working just fine.

We are living in a rapidly changing world, maybe the days of DAWs are over ? 

To me it looks like everything gone tablet and mobile, that is probably where the future lies. 
BASSJOKER
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 247
Re: Did Cakewalk overreach? 2018/01/05 03:54:05 (permalink)
Tablets and mobiles.....well ....I guess its possible but seems its all gonna take a turn and crash n burn like an AM radio on fire for awhile maybe....I dunno....I never upgraded past MC7....which as a novice producer/mixer of my stuff still gives me amazing results compared to the old Portastudio days...lol.
I was looking forward to upgrading to the big boy versions ...but guess I will just keep it real and work with the flow i have now and concentrate on the music and pick'n as I know is my true destiny ;o)
....Stay frosty my friends.....

-Steve

MC7, Lexicon Alpha, Win10,Toshiba,Sat L955,Intel I5 1.7G, 6G Ram, 64 Bit,  Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Marshall, Vox, Ashdown

Doc_Hollingsworth
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2289
Re: Did Cakewalk overreach? 2018/01/05 05:23:35 (permalink)
batsbrew
i think gibson overreached.

I think this pretty much sums it up. They have a large debt coming due this summer. And some of the decisions made by senior management kind of show this to be the case. Such as the use of richlite (compressed paper fiber and resin) in certain Gibson guitars. The downsizing of the Memphis facility is another. The use of MDF (medium density fiberboard) in the construction of the new KRK V series all point to a state of financial overreach. And the sudden shift to only attending CES and bypassing Musicmesse and NAMM kind of tells you where they are going.

It doesn’t help to be one of the last companies to implement PLEK processing for their guitars to not only groove the nuts but also to prep and level the frets on the USA series when all their competitors did that 10 years ago. Their products are not innovative in the right way when compared to Fender owned businesses. Their chief American competitor.

I think we may see a sudden death of an American Icon or at least the reorganization of it under bankruptcy in the near future.

Doc
MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Did Cakewalk overreach? 2018/01/06 17:01:10 (permalink)
ampfixer
Alex, why did you come back? Nobody has missed you ...

John, I missed him.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

CakeAlexSHere
Re: Did Cakewalk overreach? 2018/01/06 20:03:27 (permalink)
I missed you Steve ;)
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1