Helpful ReplyLaptop UPGRADE worth considering? New SSD main drive + DVD Harddrive Caddy for old SATA

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Hugh Mann
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 59
Re: Laptop UPGRADE worth considering? New SSD main drive + DVD Harddrive Caddy for old SAT 2018/01/26 15:40:44 (permalink)
post edited by Hugh Mann - 2018/01/29 06:34:56
Hugh Mann
Re: Laptop UPGRADE worth considering? New SSD main drive + DVD Harddrive Caddy for old SAT 2018/01/26 16:10:15 (permalink)
post edited by Hugh Mann - 2018/01/29 06:35:16
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Laptop UPGRADE worth considering? New SSD main drive + DVD Harddrive Caddy for old SAT 2018/01/26 16:35:29 (permalink)
If I was in a live band or did orch work at home I’d get one of Jim’s computers. For my at home computer recording track at a time my dells work fine. But except for geeks, most recordist prefer making music rather than dickering around with their computer, esp now with constant updates. I hate the fact that once a week I have my music time spent updating (I don’t keep my music computer on the internet) this or that program. Instead of an expensive computer that is overkill for my uses at home I buy hardware.

But if I was depending on my computer in a professional situation I’d invest in one of Jim’s rigs. And I’ve never felt a come on from him, he is very upfront about his services. I don’t remember anyone else complaining either. And I must add Jim has been a great computer source on this board for years. He offered me straight answers when I asked the forum about an all in one HP and didn’t try to sell me a slightly used computer from a little old lady in Pasadena- hardly used. I can’t imagine anyone overspending on a computer without knowing that fact. Computer prices aren’t state secrets and if someone talks themself into buying more than they can use that is fine by me. I have too many preamps. Anyone want to pay new prices for one? It is hardly driven
Hugh Mann
Re: Laptop UPGRADE worth considering? New SSD main drive + DVD Harddrive Caddy for old SAT 2018/01/26 17:06:09 (permalink)
post edited by Hugh Mann - 2018/01/29 06:35:34
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Laptop UPGRADE worth considering? New SSD main drive + DVD Harddrive Caddy for old SAT 2018/01/26 18:17:48 (permalink)
Hugh,

It sounds like we both do the same thing, computer wise.  Trick out a standard computer.  Except I write words on my laptop, not do music since on it since that isn't cost effective.  I saved hundreds of dollars on each one I didn't buy.  And I could easily say that a laptop for music is just throwing money away, but you seem ok with that. 

What ticked me off was you would imply that Jim is trying to push his service on this board - because I have never seen him do that and I've been on the board for many years.  Jim offered (on the forum) his opinion on the computer I was looking to buy, with similar caveats as he expressed above.  But in  his professional opinion, I was fine using a computer that wasn't his.  He didn't try to sell me, and as far as I can tell, he is one of the good guys.  Post some examples if you are going to imply, however slyly, he is trying to sell overpriced computers to those that don't know any better. If you've ever lost a gig or client, not simply embarrassment, because your hardware or software crapped out, you'll understand the reason for Jim's services.  Just like I bet I can crap out your Focusrite built-in pre before an outboard unit that costs multiples of what the entire interface costs and has a lot more headroom.  The extra cost isn't a necessity but a great comfort and can save money in the long run. 

(note:  nothing against Focusrite's interfaces, which are fine and as good as any preamp 90% of the time - but try using the 90% fact when you've ruined the guitarist's best take.)

CakeAlexSHere
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 577
Re: Laptop UPGRADE worth considering? New SSD main drive + DVD Harddrive Caddy for old SAT 2018/01/27 01:35:38 (permalink)
My latency is fine (64-128), my recordings are fine. I use Focusrite FireWire interfaces. I use stuff like Reaktor. My off shelf PC is from the year 2010. Go figure that there is "no problem!" with my computer. So don't say there is, and telling people off shelf PC's can only be used on 256 latencies above is total and utter BS !! Also I DO have control over all or most of the settings on my motherboard that Jim says I do not have control of.

Cheers.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Laptop UPGRADE worth considering? New SSD main drive + DVD Harddrive Caddy for old SAT 2018/01/27 02:47:23 (permalink)
Well I hope that the OP has success with the drive caddy in his laptop, and that this discussion did not discourage him from trying it out.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
aidanodr
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 454
Re: Laptop UPGRADE worth considering? New SSD main drive + DVD Harddrive Caddy for old SAT 2018/01/27 22:10:53 (permalink)
abacab
Well I hope that the OP has success with the drive caddy in his laptop, and that this discussion did not discourage him from trying it out.

Hi Guys,

Didnt get back here for few days .. my very laptop had windows 10 issues that made it unusable as it took near 10 mins to load windows properly. After that it worked fine. 

So I took out the 1TB sata and replaced with another I had. Now the new one boots real fast. I think it has something to do with that recent windows update that "dealt" with those hardware hacks discussed elsewhere.

Anyway .. re derailing .. I take the points made, bu I am happy with my dell for what I do. Yes .. I probably will go the caddy route if only at minimum it gives use again to a space in the laptop that is unused at the moment .. the DVD drive :D

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Laptop UPGRADE worth considering? New SSD main drive + DVD Harddrive Caddy for old SAT 2018/01/27 23:41:30 (permalink)
aidanodr
abacab

Anyway .. re derailing .. I take the points made, bu I am happy with my dell for what I do.

I think you make a good point.  If the laptop we have works for what we do, then we are good. 

I hope you can get some mileage out of your current one!

I think Jim is a fine guy and a straight shooter, but from his perspective of building computers for professional composers and performers, nothing short of perfection is acceptable.  That is OK!  If I was a working professional, I definitely would want Jim available for my tech support.  He will bend over backwards to support customers after the sale.  Try that with a big box store, LOL!!!

I got very frustrated with my first off the shelf PC, and determined to learn how to build my own, and have done so ever since. My primary DAW is a desktop, but I do have a cheap ACER laptop, Core i5 mobile with 4GB RAM, with ASIO4ALL that can run Sonar and Studio One.  I do not perform, or record with it, but it allows me to work with soft synths just fine as far as playback when on the go.  I do not setup massive projects loaded with effects either, or run massive sample libraries.  It works for what I do, as a mobile office, and as a hobby music studio.

I am not a fan of laptops for various reasons, but I do own one.  I had to carry one for years as a mobile office, because my job was on the go.  They serve a purpose, but are definitely not optimized for audio!

I will add that it was amusing when Cakewalk published an article in the eZine about a year ago, showing that the majority of Sonar sessions were launched with ASIO4ALL as the audio device.  That says a lot about what the majority of Sonar users were using ...

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1