Helpful ReplyLocked[Solved] - Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Johnbee58
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 946
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/21 23:22:10 (permalink)
A little confused here.  When I saw that you were using Bandlab I assumed you were talking about the DAW (Cakewalk by Bandlab).  I just finished my first project on that DAW and I uploaded it only to Soundclick and BandCAMP.  Do you mean that you posted your song to the Bandlab site?  I'm not real familiar with their website yet as I stick with Cakewalk's original site, at least for now.  It is my understanding that the Cakewalk site will at some point in the future cease to exist, but while it's still up there I will continue to use it, only because I'm a creature of habit.  So, if I'm understanding this right, you (OP Serious Noize) posted an original song to the Bandlab site and somebody took the liberty to "murder" it.  I don't blame you for being pissed.  I wouldn't appreciate that either.
I stick to Soundclick and BandCAMP because I'm fairly familiar with their policies.  I don't like the idea of somebody being able to claim ownership of my work just because I post it on their site, especially if they don't have to at least pay me for the right to use it.

John B.

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
msmcleod
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/22 00:25:49 (permalink)
The BandLab website I guess it pretty similar to Soundclick/BandCAMP, in that you can upload your songs there for other people to hear.

However BandLab also have The BandLab Editor, which is a pretty basic but fully functional DAW that runs in a browser (yes, really - this pretty much blew my mind when I first saw it).

If you use this to construct your songs, you can opt for it to be "forked" either openly to the public, or to a private group of people. You can also use this for collaboration, so that several people can work on the same song using the BandLab Editor.

This could be in the form of a virtual band spread across the globe, it could be you just want a guitar solo or vocals added, or it may be you've got a riff with nowhere to go and you're happy for someone to write something based on it.

Finally, there's Cakewalk By BandLab, which is the fully featured DAW we all used to know as Sonar.

You can export your audio stems & MIDI tracks between Sonar and the BandLab Editor so that you can collaborate on projects regardless of what DAW or operating system your collaborators are using. It does make the process easier than sharing CWP files to an extent, because if you're using audio stems it doesn't matter if you don't share the same plugins.

I hope this makes sense!

M.
Chandler
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 477
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/22 02:08:07 (permalink)
This might be slightly off topic, but I was wondering is it possible to allow forking to only those in a community? I have an idea I want to try. It will work better if only those in a group/community can see/fork the song.

My soundcloud page Chandlerhimself
My Youtube page
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/22 04:05:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby sonarman1 2018/05/22 11:34:42
Yes Chandler. You can have a band and share the song among band members.

You can also decide to keep your project private and invite people to collaborate.

I am just learning the in's and outs of this. So I really can't give a step by step process.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
Johnbee58
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/22 10:11:08 (permalink)
msmcleod
The BandLab website I guess it pretty similar to Soundclick/BandCAMP, in that you can upload your songs there for other people to hear.

However BandLab also have The BandLab Editor, which is a pretty basic but fully functional DAW that runs in a browser (yes, really - this pretty much blew my mind when I first saw it).

If you use this to construct your songs, you can opt for it to be "forked" either openly to the public, or to a private group of people. You can also use this for collaboration, so that several people can work on the same song using the BandLab Editor.

This could be in the form of a virtual band spread across the globe, it could be you just want a guitar solo or vocals added, or it may be you've got a riff with nowhere to go and you're happy for someone to write something based on it.

Finally, there's Cakewalk By BandLab, which is the fully featured DAW we all used to know as Sonar.

You can export your audio stems & MIDI tracks between Sonar and the BandLab Editor so that you can collaborate on projects regardless of what DAW or operating system your collaborators are using. It does make the process easier than sharing CWP files to an extent, because if you're using audio stems it doesn't matter if you don't share the same plugins.

I hope this makes sense!

M.

Yes.  That does make sense and I thank you for the detailed explanation.  So, if I use Cake by Bandlab I keep my project private, but if I use the Bandlab Editor I can either make it private or invite collaboration (via forking).  Correct?
BTW-The concept of an online DAW I've seen on various TV advertisements, or maybe they were YouTube ads.  I don't remember which, but I have heard of that concept before.  The part that's new to me is the forking/collab part, which I can see as a great convenience for people who want to use it.
Thanks again.

JB

Lenovo Core i5 4460 Desktop PC (Windows 8 64 bit), Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Nektar LX61 Keyboard MIDI Controller, Avantone Pro CV-12 tube condenser microphone, JBL LSR308 8" active monitor speakers.  Cakewalk by Bandlab, Reason 7,
NI Session Strings Pro, NI Strummed Acoustic Guitar, Miroslav Philharmonic, Auturia DX7 V, Garritan JABB 3, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer.

"I will create music the way I want to whether a million people are listening or no one is listening."   Dan Fogelberg, Singer/Songwriter-1951-2007
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/22 10:43:55 (permalink)
The term “fork” is also used in places like Github. As I explained in another thread. On Github it indicates that an existing bit of code has deviated from the original and a new fork or branch is now being developed. It’s just a point to which you can return where a bit of code was added onto by another dev from the original dev.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Tom F
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2749
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/22 10:58:59 (permalink)
so in the end a guy shares something over the net and then complains others use it ?

he also did not check all the options eventually - what is it with that fork feature ?

then he complains about adult stuff - well what exactly is that ? where does it start - isn´t that quite subjective ?

finally only smart asses who are company related will answer he supposes ?

that is all a little over the top, unless you are a kid you should consider what can happen before doing something instead of starting a rant later.

the only thing that seems to be an objective issue is the bug regarding your list of users.

...trying to be polite... quick temper...trying to be...
anydmusic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/22 12:00:21 (permalink)
SimpleManZ
bdickens
Copyright law varies greatly from country to country. Here in the US, a work is automaticaly copyrighted as soon as it is put into some tangible form (in this case, either written or recorded). Of course, in the event of an infringement action, you have to be able to prove that you own the rights. And it is unlikely that any attorney will take your case unless you have registered with the Copyright office.

Somehow I get the impression the OP thinks using a 'paid' license Sonar Platinum automatically makes a creation copyrighted.

I think "paid license" is the phrase used when someone wants special treatment because they used the product before its death and resurrection.

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/22 12:33:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Anderton 2018/05/22 17:41:10
SimpleManZ
bdickens
Copyright law varies greatly from country to country. Here in the US, a work is automaticaly copyrighted as soon as it is put into some tangible form (in this case, either written or recorded). Of course, in the event of an infringement action, you have to be able to prove that you own the rights. And it is unlikely that any attorney will take your case unless you have registered with the Copyright office.

Somehow I get the impression the OP thinks using a 'paid' license Sonar Platinum automatically makes a creation copyrighted.
Lets say you have an idea to write a song on paper but no pen. Aha, you see a pen laying there, so you pick it up and use it to write your idea. Then someone comes along and read your poem and says, "I like it-but that is my pen you used-which means I own the poem"

Melodies and Lyrics are copyrighted the moment you record them.  The problem is the burden of proof in providing evidence that someone was the first to create them.

This is why people file a copyright, so they have the proof of when it was created/submitted.  
msmcleod
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/22 12:35:22 (permalink)
Brian Walton
SimpleManZ
bdickens

Lets say you have an idea to write a song on paper but no pen. Aha, you see a pen laying there, so you pick it up and use it to write your idea. Then someone comes along and read your poem and says, "I like it-but that is my pen you used-which means I own the poem"

Melodies and Lyrics are copyrighted the moment you record them.  The problem is the burden of proof in providing evidence that someone was the first to create them.

This is why people file a copyright, so they have the proof of when it was created/submitted.  

Presumably BandLab can now help with this process, as they'll have a digital record of when you started/uploaded your project and the various revisions it's gone through.

M.
Midiboy
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 414
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/22 12:51:49 (permalink)
I think the original post is more like a going out in a blaze of glory "Closing my Facebook account" message in order to get people to comment back to try to convince him otherwise and to just garner unnecessary attention, other wise the post would have been more like this:  Hey guys, I am concerned about an issue that happened to me on the BL website.  I uploaded a song and someone yada yada."  Can someone help explain what happened and what I could do to prevent this?  I would like to continue using this website, but am concerned about my rights."

The thing is...the Cakewalk software itself has nothing to do with what happened.  The fact that the original post also says he is going to stop using the Cakewalk software by BL, kind of makes me think this is more about "Look me...I'm quitting, don't try to stop me" more than anything else.  Like I said...that's been happening on Facebook for years.  Why go out if you don't go out in a blaze of glory?  Or something. 

----
Gregg
Midiboy Music
www.facebook.com/midiboygregg

Win10x64 (Eng), Sonar Platinum x64 (Eng w/ lifetime updates), 32GB DDR4 RAM, Intel i7 5820, nVidia 960, Alesis MultiMix 8 USB2 w/ Alesis MultiMix driver. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88, Korg NanoControl.
stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/22 15:58:27 (permalink)
@Craig A
Sure do NOT understand your quoting me and then your statement? Has NOTHING to do with what I was saying to op. Perhaps you quoted the wrong post?

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/22 17:51:50 (permalink)
stratman70
@Craig A
Sure do NOT understand your quoting me and then your statement? Has NOTHING to do with what I was saying to op. Perhaps you quoted the wrong post?

I dunno, I hit "quote" and that's what showed up. I thought you were agreeing with Bobby about being bummed regarding people using his music without his permission. I added my comment because it seemed Bobby was bummed because of something he did unwittingly, not because of an inherent flaw in the software (other than a lack of clarity if people don't relate to the term forking).

Of course I agree wholeheartedly with what you said about just using the desktop software as a remedy for Bobby's issue. Frankly I haven't gotten involved with BandLab, at least not yet...I'm doing exactly what you recommended, leaving Platinum installed and using CbB for the updates and bug fixes. I certainly didn't intend to cast anything you said in a negative light.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Johnbee58
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/22 19:11:54 (permalink)
Tom F
so in the end a guy shares something over the net and then complains others use it ?

he also did not check all the options eventually - what is it with that fork feature ?

then he complains about adult stuff - well what exactly is that ? where does it start - isn´t that quite subjective ?

that is all a little over the top, unless you are a kid you should consider what can happen before doing something instead of starting a rant later.

the only thing that seems to be an objective issue is the bug regarding your list of users.

What if it was YOUR material?  Lighten up and get off your damned soapbox!  I'm sure you read all the fine print too, don't you?  This is new to most of us.  It doesn't mean he deserves to be taken advantage of!! 

davehorch
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 75
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/22 19:28:25 (permalink)
meng
We do understand that the concept of "forkable" is confusing to some users as it's BandLab-specific terminology, ...

Most of us linux hacks know what a "fork" is and hence "forkable".  But yes, for everyone else, it's much better to change the wording and be very clear about it. AND make the default "nofork"

thx, -dh

Win-7 Professionalx64.  CWBL, SONAR X3e, & most other previous versions.  TASCAM US-1800 audio interface.  A bunch of outboard stuff that never gets used anymore (ADAT boat anchors, smoooth LA4 comps (miss them!), etc.)  Way too many instruments.
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
2018/05/22 19:47:45 (permalink)

post edited by dj squarewave - 2018/05/23 12:32:51

slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/22 21:30:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dj squarewave 2018/05/22 21:34:29
Brian Walton

In fact you are on shaky ground on two points. The first is that copyright requires that you be the first to create a work. That is not true of copyright, which only says that you are forbidden to copy someone else's work if it is copyrighted. It is certainly conceivable that you could independently create a work that is in part or in whole very similar or identical to a work previously created by someone else without your knowledge. Since copying implies that you must have seen or heard the original from which you are copying, it is the burden of proof in an infringement case to prove that the infringer had access to the earlier created work. Since the burden in a civil case is the preponderance of evidence (more likely than not), and since the injured party can pretty convincingly claim that a published work can be easily found on the internet or inadvertently heard on the radio, you are probably not far off in a practical sense. But for a work that was not published, that burden may be unsurmountable. If you recorded yourself performing a song, put the storage media in a drawer and never shared it, then find that a couple of years later it has been made a hit by another author, you would be hard pressed to convince a court that the hit was an infringement. That is a case in which two authors had valid copyrights to the same work independently.

What US copyright registration provides is that the deposit of the work that you use to register the copyright can be used to provide prima facie evidence of your creation. That evidence can be rebutted, and since the Copyright Office does not investigate the deposit to see if there are already copyrights registered for it, there is the possibility that someone who heard your song could copy and register it before you if he is willing to lie on his application. So registration helps, but does not alone determine the original creation. If you were in the unfortunate situation of being the second registrant for your work, it might actually make your case harder to prove.

In countries that do not provide copyright registration, there are private repositories that will register your work in order to provide evidence of its creation, with most of the same limiting issues. Arguably, the publication of the work by uploading to a sharing site can provide similar evidence of creation (absent the testamentary evidence included in the registration document) and in most cases a date of the upload will probably be available. In addition you will have created a plausible source from which an infringer may be inferred to have heard the work prior to copying it. On the other hand you will have set the clock running on timely registration by publishing it. Yes, uploading to a publicly accessible site constitutes publication for this purpose and also subjects the work to the compulsory licensing provisions of the law. Since the US allows pre-publication registration, your best protection is to register the work prior to uploading it. 

The second issue is that people register copyright only to provide a record of the work's creation. In fact, registration is a requirement in the US to file a copyright infringement suit. You can register the copyright at any time prior to filing suit to meet that requirement, even after infringement has occurred. But timely registration, i. e. within three months of publication of the work, and prior to its infringement, provides you with the option to claim statutory damages of up to $150,000 at maximum for infringement of a work, and in some cases to have the infringer pay your court costs. Without statutory damages, you will need to prove that the illegal competition posed by the infringement cost you actual money that you would otherwise have received for your work. For a mega-hit, actual damages may well be much more, but the difficulty of proving actual damages for lesser works can be substantial, and the threat of a significant statutory damages award without such proof can be a major deterrent to casual infringement of lesser works, where litigation costs for the successful plaintiff may well outweigh any actual damage award. 

Finally, registration of copyright provides a way for potential users of your work to locate the author or his heirs in the event that they want to license the work and pay for it, and to put them on notice that the work is still under a valid copyright. 
Serious_Noize!
  • Total Posts : 950
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/22 22:31:35 (permalink)
Tom F

No, on all facets of your fake news assumptions. 

First off, I know about forking and sharing and such things, I asked the tech reps from Bandlab themselves and got very familiar with using the site. 

What you are missing is that there was a BUG and KUDOS to Bandlab for admitting that there was a problem to begin with, most sites would never do that. 

As for my music being used by someone else, it was not the fact that they used my simple chord progression, it was the fact that they took my song titled "Summer Days" and rewrote it calling it "Summer DRUNK" and used the chord progression to throw off on me personally, which I suspect it is someone I know in person/neighbors for real that I have a disagreement with some issues lately trying to agitate and irritate me. And yes, I am in the right on those issues. But legally I can't get into that here. 

Whatever the case, the issue with BandLab was resolved, but for now I will continue to use Cakewalk by Sonar until it has an error or fails to work at which case I will start using Cakewalk By Bandlab. 

I apologize to the Bandlab crew and everyone here if I upset anyone. But please consider what I just mentioned, this was something personal going on and it upset me very bady!

I would like to say that I got very quick responses from the BandLab crew, they are really doing a great JOB! And please don't take the fact that I am saying I am sticking with Sonar by Cakewalk for now as a knock, it is mainly because using Sonar Platinum with the latest 1803 update from Windows, it has worked PERFECT for me with ZERO CRASHES! And it also has all my needs with the plugins and such things, so I would be stupid to change until it becomes a problem. But I am very thankful for the fact that there is an option to install Cakewalk By BandLab if a problem were to arise and "Upgrade".  My point, if it ain't broke, Don't fix it, unless it's an upgrade and I don't use much Midi. 

Apologies for the rant folks, Bandlab is a CLASS ACT! They are the real deal in my experience thus far. I apologize to BandLab also for ranting, but I hope someone can see why this whole drama hit home with me. 

Either way, Cheers everyone! Take care and thank you for your feedback, I'm not perfect and nobody else is either, thank you all for taking the time to listen and reply here. 

Bobby

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Platinum.
Tom F
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/23 00:08:50 (permalink)
what exactly - besides sarcasm - do you expect when you make a rant in which you declare people replying that do not share your opinion as in house smartasses from the company ?

fake news - what ? because i resumed partial statements of your first post and because i say that you eventually were not informed well ?

smart ass company agents
fake news forum members
evil neighbours playing tricks on you via a music sharing platform ?

sounds a little exagerated - doesn´t it ?

i can understand that you don`t like people making stupid things with your music - but do you really think that the company is aiming at that ? the told you that there is a bug and they will fix it.

a little drama like - thats my opinion.

now one could be offended or not by this - it´s your opinion to not like my specific opinion :-) 

Tom F
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/23 00:22:26 (permalink)
Johnbee58

What if it was YOUR material?  Lighten up and get off your damned soapbox!  I'm sure you read all the fine print too, don't you?  This is new to most of us.  It doesn't mean he deserves to be taken advantage of!! 

well maybe the threadstarter should not have stepped on the soapbox in first place.

btw. music of mine has been commercially used without my agreeing several times over the last two decades and generated profits for the wrong people - thats something that so to say happens very frequently in the music biz.

we have to be careful and we have to consider the effects of new technologies, programs or platforms.

and even then you can get fooled by someone who just tells not the truth.

but thats just the way it is - not every one acts within moral standards.

so besides my sarcasm the message to the op is: don´t worry to much - and don´t blame a service provider for a bad user behaviour - especially when you eventually have set up something in a wrong way.
the bug mentioned is only an additional factor but not the cause of the main problem.

35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/23 00:40:26 (permalink)
Sympathies for the OP, but it seems they did make a mistake by selecting the forkable option. They also discovered a big in the blocking option too.

While any of us who do any programming and version control probably think that forking is the ideal terminology here, it probably isn't on BandLab though. Perhaps if you select the option to make something forkable it should give a popup warning of what that means and the licensing implications and then get you to confirm that's what you want to do. You know? Just to save accidental selection.

I have only uploaded one track to BL and that was kept private just to send the link to someone to work a trombone solo out. So I am not that familiar with it.

Another friend of mine has been uploading his stuff to BL recently and he was raving to me that he got 50 new followers in one day. He then admitted to me that he had noticed that if he uploaded his stuff as forkable he got loads more followers, so that's what he's been doing. He doesn't seem to care that it means he's giving his rights up to his material. He just wants lots of followers! And yes, he's a grown adult in his 50's. Mad :)

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
BJN
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/23 00:49:41 (permalink)
The first thing I noticed is that chords and beat are not copywritable. You cannot copywright a chord or chord progression. Only melody and lyrics can be copywrited.
cheers

-------------------------------------------------------
Magic: when you feel inspired to create which in turn inspires more creation.

And the corollary: if magic happens inspiration might flog it to death with numerous retakes.
Bart Nettle
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/23 01:06:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby DrLumen 2018/05/23 06:06:36
... and original arrangments and recorded performances...

https://www.legalzoom.com...how-to-copyright-music
post edited by soens - 2018/05/23 01:33:02
mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/23 01:21:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby iRelevant 2018/05/23 09:55:23
Some People need their DRAMA. Like a DIVA. 
There 'll be no DIVA without Audience.
Jm2C

Cheers :) 

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
iRelevant
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/23 09:52:00 (permalink)
It's probably best for the OP to stay away from BandLab. It requires a fairly limited cognitive skill set, and it's hard for me for phantom how things can get to this. Then again we're living in a world with "Warning ! HOT !" on the lid of disposable coffee cups, as a result of victorious lawsuits. I understand why the EULA's these days needs to be so long winded and absurd. Looks like it isn't for nothing. 

OS:Win7x64 SP1 CPU:i5/8GB/SSD DAWs : CbB, FLS, SO2, (Reaper) etc. To much Gear, not enough wires. 
My Music : BandLab  https://www.bandlab.com/irelevant BandCamp : https://irelevant.bandcamp.com
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/23 11:48:21 (permalink)
Serious_Noize!

As for my music being used by someone else, it was not the fact that they used my simple chord progression, it was the fact that they took my song titled "Summer Days" and rewrote it calling it "Summer DRUNK" and used the chord progression to throw off on me personally, which I suspect it is someone I know in person/neighbors for real that I have a disagreement with some issues lately trying to agitate and irritate me. And yes, I am in the right on those issues. But legally I can't get into that here. 

I did a quick search for it, and listened. Sounds like they just cut up an intro, pasted it (badly) then 'rapped' over it (badly). I wouldn't lose any sleep over that.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Steev
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: Issue with BANDLAB, why I will no longer use it or their free SONAR! 2018/05/23 12:22:56 (permalink)
 I have a lot of issues with Bandlab myself, I’m having difficulties figuring it out, things don’t happen like I expect them to, and quite frankly that annoys me.
 I can take the easy way out, rant on and blame it all on Bandlab, whine on about how stupid it is, and I probably would if I reacted with an angry immediate petulant response, like ummm,, “HEY!! I’m and AMERICAN, I KNOW MY RIGHTS!” and just blow if off and go look for something or someone else to be pissed off at…….. But I don’t that way…
I stepped back and let my frustrations subside, thought about it for a while in a different perspective, stepped back again and mentally looked at it from a different angle, and a crazy new theory popped into my brain like an epiphany.
OMG! All these problems I’m having are MY FAULT!
And that completely because I don’t fully understand how to use it yet, instant gratification be damned, I have to actually take more time to learn how the good folks at Bandlab do things, and if I’m going to assume anything I should start assuming the good folks at Bandlab aren’t screwing me up on purpose, it might just be that they don’t know how Steev works..
 For instance, a few weeks ago Pheonx1x uploaded his “It Was All In A Dream” project and invited me to join, I had no problem downloading it from Bandlab and importing all the tracks into “Cakewalk by Bandlab” for my first test drive..
 It was pretty uneventful in respect to my new Cakewalk DAW being new and exciting, it’s essentially the same freak’in thing as my SONAR Platinum!!
 But I guess I didn’t remain disappointed very long, because that made it so much easier to dive right in with my “Mix Engineer Hat on”, which is a very different process, approach and mindset from my “It Was All In A Dream” Hat.”  
Being Pete Jorgenson already took the time to record “It Was All In A Dream” and graciously share it with me,  I was able quickly get down dial in a new edit  mix of ““It Was All In A Dream” and give it a different sound scape and texture in composition without offending or detracting from  the original idea, before even attempting to put my Recording Engineer cap on and add to it.
 And OK so far so good.. Except my problems started when I try to go back and upload my updates to the original mix
 They are making such an effort to please as many people as they can, they are completely ignorant of my much superior way of thinking that they don’t realize that they are doing everything wrong..
 Or, it’s the other way around, BANDLAB  has a superior way of thinking, and it is ME  who is having difficulties because I am doing everything wrong..
 Huummph, IMAGINE THAT? I am not the genius I thought I was! I can no longer figure out how to use things simply by giving them a quick glimpse and nod.
 I’ll have to do the dirty, maybe even start on page one, and or at least read some of the directions on how to use Bandlab.
I had made a lot of changes micro edits through out the mix re EQing tracks, applying FX for dynamic expression, all kinds of mix engineering crap thinking it would be easy to transfer it all back to Bandlab
But in the meantime, I wasn’t ignoring the invite, I’m just stumbling around a bit, and here’s a stereo mix down my  take on It Was All In A dream which DID NOT get forked or linked back to the original Pheonx1x  project or page.
Hopefully soon I’LL FIGURE OUT  how to use Bandlab the right way instead of blaming them for my own ignorance.

https://www.bandlab.com/steveschreiber
BTW, all my stuff here is works in progress, feel free to download, jam, bend, spindle, and militate it, and above all HAVE FUN making it your own!
If you can do that than maybe someday in the near future we can collaborate. I’m not going to waste any time worrying about anyone steeling my secret sauces and inner brilliance, and or copyrights from me, because in reality, they can’t. I’m giving them away for free, LoL.
 Just like in reality, looking at it from a different perspective and angles, anybody who doesn’t take Meng and Bandlab’s extremely generous offers and services is in theory only steeling from themselves.

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1