Helpful ReplyKontakt 5 full version problems in Sonar.

Author
z1812
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 294
2018/06/09 02:23:10 (permalink)

Kontakt 5 full version problems in Sonar.

Hi All,

Early this week I bought Komplete 11 during the 50% off sale. I upgraded from Komplete 6. Kontakt 4 came with Komplete 6 and it was working well in Sonar Platinum.

I have both Sonar Platinum and Presonus Studio One 3 professional. Kontakt 5 was installed from Native Access. It works perfectly in Studio One without any problems at all. However in Sonar there are some problems.

From Komplete 11 I have only installed Kontakt 5 so far. Here are the problems I would appreciate help with. 

The most important first. I prefer to use Sonar so having things work properly in it is important for me.

1. In Sonar, when I open up Kontakt, I can only produce sound using my keyboard controller if I use the midi omni setting on my sonar track and also on the Kontakt instrument. I hear sound and see the track level indicator moving.

Individual midi channels do not work with my keyboard controller.  The signal is not getting to the track, as I see the level indicators are not working and no sound to the speakers. Naturally I want to use different channels for each instrument. I can always get sound from the Kontakt software keyboard that displays under the instrument. But not from my keyboard controller.

I think the problem is in Sonar as there are no problems in Studio 1. I have no idea why this is happening. All worked well until I installed Kontakt 5 ( full version ).

This problem is only apparent when using Kontakt. All other instruments are working well in Sonar.

Any help would be much appreciated. I have been trying different approaches for days and now and I have not had any luck.
post edited by z1812 - 2018/06/09 02:49:32
vladasyn
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1092
Re: Kontakt 5 full version problems in Sonar. 2018/06/09 04:06:21 (permalink)
Your MIDI controller should send MIDI data on certain MIDI tracks. Your Sonar Track needs to be set to let's say MIDI Track 5, your Kontakt instrument should receive on Ch 5. The fact that you get signal on Omni tells that it receives on "all" channels, but not on individual because you have mismatch. 

https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral 
http://vladasyn.wix.com/astral#
I am a female. Windows 8.1
Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
  Multiple keyboards and modules, software synths.  
Daibhidh
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 204
Re: Kontakt 5 full version problems in Sonar. 2018/06/09 05:19:46 (permalink)
Have you tried installing the latest version of Cakewalk to see if that solves your problem?
z1812
Re: Kontakt 5 full version problems in Sonar. 2018/06/09 15:04:52 (permalink)
vladasyn
Your MIDI controller should send MIDI data on certain MIDI tracks. Your Sonar Track needs to be set to let's say MIDI Track 5, your Kontakt instrument should receive on Ch 5. The fact that you get signal on Omni tells that it receives on "all" channels, but not on individual because you have mismatch. 

Thanks for your reply but I do have the channels matched and it does not work.

z1812
Re: Kontakt 5 full version problems in Sonar. 2018/06/09 15:07:47 (permalink)
Daibhidh
Have you tried installing the latest version of Cakewalk to see if that solves your problem?

No I have not tried that but I may have too. I am still a little reluctant to install bandlab.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Kontakt 5 full version problems in Sonar. 2018/06/09 20:05:52 (permalink)
1. In Sonar, when I open up Kontakt, I can only produce sound using my keyboard controller if I use the midi omni setting on my sonar track and also on the Kontakt instrument. I hear sound and see the track level indicator moving.

Individual midi channels do not work with my keyboard controller.  The signal is not getting to the track, as I see the level indicators are not working and no sound to the speakers. Naturally I want to use different channels for each instrument. I can always get sound from the Kontakt software keyboard that displays under the instrument. But not from my keyboard controller.

You will need to set the controller to transmit on the desired MIDI channel.

For example, if the instrument you want to play in Kontakt is set to channel 2, then set your controller to transmit on channel 2, and either leave the Cakewalk MIDI track input set to Omni, or set it to 2.

If you leave the Cakewalk track input set to Omni, it will pass data on whatever channel your controller sends on to the instrument.  However, if your controller is sending on 1, changing Cakewalk's input to channel 2 will not alter the MIDI data coming from your controller.  It will remain as sent from your controller, resulting in silence from your Kontakt instrument listening on channel 2. The track level is only showing that data is present, not which channel it is on.

By changing the Cakewalk track input to anything but Omni, it will only allow the selected channel to pass, filtering out the others.  But it will not re-map the channel coming from your controller.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
abacab
Re: Kontakt 5 full version problems in Sonar. 2018/06/09 20:35:14 (permalink)
And I checked in Studio One.  Changing the MIDI channel in the S1 track appears to re-map the MIDI input sent from the controller.

I tried it in Reaper, and it works just like Cakewalk.

So the bottom line is that you cannot expect all DAWs to work exactly the same.  You will need to be aware of the differences and take them into account.

z1812
Re: Kontakt 5 full version problems in Sonar. 2018/06/09 21:04:12 (permalink)
abacab
And I checked in Studio One.  Changing the MIDI channel in the S1 track appears to re-map the MIDI input sent from the controller.

I tried it in Reaper, and it works just like Cakewalk.

So the bottom line is that you cannot expect all DAWs to work exactly the same.  You will need to be aware of the differences and take them into account.

Thanks for your response. Are you saying that it works that way only for Kontakt 5 because all my other VST's work normally without considering the controller channel. It is automatic just like Studio1. 
In fact Kontakt 4 worked seamlessly in Sonar as well.

abacab
Re: Kontakt 5 full version problems in Sonar. 2018/06/09 23:02:27 (permalink)
I really couldn't see how DAW MIDI input handling on the front end could be VST dependent on the back end, so I tested this with Cakewalk and a few other plugins that I have that are multitimbral and multi-channel MIDI.

SampleTank 3 = same as Kontakt 5
AIR Xpand!2 (uses channels 1-4) = same as Kontakt 5
Dimension Pro (in multitimbral mode using channels 1-4) =  same as Kontakt 5
AIR Structure 2 = same as Kontakt 5

Only VSTs with multitimbral mode need to see a specific MIDI channel in order to route the MIDI to the proper instrument slot.  I suppose most other VST instruments are actually Omni by default.

I don't have Kontakt 4, so cannot comment on that one.  But it seems that the MIDI channel selection in Cakewalk is consistent with any multitimbral VSTi that I tested.

I grabbed a few other plugins that are not multitimbral, and they could care less what channel I am sending MIDI on, as long as the Cakewalk track was set to either Omni, or the actual channel that my controller was set to transmit on.

z1812
Re: Kontakt 5 full version problems in Sonar. 2018/06/09 23:14:55 (permalink)
abacab
I really couldn't see how DAW MIDI input handling on the front end could be VST dependent on the back end, so I tested this with Cakewalk and a few other plugins that I have that are multitimbral and multi-channel MIDI.

SampleTank 3 = same as Kontakt 5
AIR Xpand!2 (uses channels 1-4) = same as Kontakt 5
Dimension Pro (in multitimbral mode using channels 1-4) =  same as Kontakt 5
AIR Structure 2 = same as Kontakt 5

Only VSTs with multitimbral mode need to see a specific MIDI channel in order to route the MIDI to the proper instrument slot.  I suppose most other VST instruments are actually Omni by default.

I don't have Kontakt 4, so cannot comment on that one.  But it seems that the MIDI channel selection in Cakewalk is consistent with any multitimbral VSTi that I tested.

I grabbed a few other plugins that are not multitimbral, and they could care less what channel I am sending MIDI on, as long as the Cakewalk track was set to either Omni, or the actual channel that my controller was set to transmit on.

Thanks for your response. It seems that a few people are having problems with Cakewalk, controllers, and Native instruments products.
http://forum.cakewalk.com...walk-CxB-m3759903.aspx
abacab
Re: Kontakt 5 full version problems in Sonar. 2018/06/10 03:05:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby karhide 2018/06/10 08:45:22
Cakewalk is working as designed.  Just set the channel on your controller and you will be all set.

The only problem I can see is not fully understanding how MIDI works. 

z1812
Re: Kontakt 5 full version problems in Sonar. 2018/06/10 04:56:31 (permalink)
abacab
Cakewalk is working as designed.  Just set the channel on your controller and you will be all set.

The only problem I can see is not fully understanding how MIDI works. 

In the many years I have been using Midi, Sonar, and Native Instruments, I have never had to set the channel on my controller to have things work as they should.

But I would be willing to try it. How do you set the channel on a controller and which channel would you use?

abacab
Re: Kontakt 5 full version problems in Sonar. 2018/06/11 00:24:44 (permalink)
Not sure what else that I can add that may help.  I have been using Cakewalk for 20 years, beginning with external hardware MIDI synthesizers and sound modules communicating over MIDI.

I don't see any recent changes in Cakewalk in regard to how MIDI has worked for years.  You will need to consult the user guide for your MIDI controller to understand the specific MIDI channel settings and options for your unit.

I will mention again that some DAWs do not re-map the MIDI channel at the track input settings, and some do.

Multitimbral plugins like Kontakt will look for MIDI data on specific channels, if the instrument slots are set to anything other than "Omni".  So setting the MIDI channel in the Cakewalk track will not alter the channel that your controller is sending the MIDI data on.

See the free utility MIDI-OX if you want to monitor the MIDI data sent by your controller.  It will show the actual MIDI channel that the data is sent on.  http://www.midiox.com/

z1812
Re: Kontakt 5 full version problems in Sonar. 2018/06/11 15:33:30 (permalink)
abacab
Not sure what else that I can add that may help.  I have been using Cakewalk for 20 years, beginning with external hardware MIDI synthesizers and sound modules communicating over MIDI.

I don't see any recent changes in Cakewalk in regard to how MIDI has worked for years.  You will need to consult the user guide for your MIDI controller to understand the specific MIDI channel settings and options for your unit.

I will mention again that some DAWs do not re-map the MIDI channel at the track input settings, and some do.

Multitimbral plugins like Kontakt will look for MIDI data on specific channels, if the instrument slots are set to anything other than "Omni".  So setting the MIDI channel in the Cakewalk track will not alter the channel that your controller is sending the MIDI data on.

See the free utility MIDI-OX if you want to monitor the MIDI data sent by your controller.  It will show the actual MIDI channel that the data is sent on.  http://www.midiox.com/

Thanks for you reply.
SimpleManZ
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 157
Re: Kontakt 5 full version problems in Sonar. 2018/06/11 16:26:50 (permalink)
Install the full Komplete 11 package and all the latest updates. Verify with VST Manager you are using the same Kontakt.dll as Studio 1 and Standalone.
abacab
Re: Kontakt 5 full version problems in Sonar. 2018/06/11 16:48:09 (permalink)
After reading the OP again, my best guess is that the MIDI controller somehow got switched from MIDI channel 1 to something else.

This wouldn't be obvious if you were using the DAW or an instrument in Omni mode, but any other setting would result in this issue.

It would only take a few minutes to confirm with MIDI-OX which channel your controller is set to transmit on.

And if you posted the specs of your keyboard controller, maybe someone with the same model could assist with checking the settings.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1