Helpful ReplyIs there going to be anything new and exciting for Cakewalk???

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
stxx
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
Re: Is there going to be anything new and exciting for Cakewalk??? 2018/06/30 20:05:27 (permalink)

Euthymia
No, there will never be anything new and exciting for Cakewalk.

BandLab bought the product and are paying their developers solely to tinker with the code until every bug is eliminated and to implement an endless series of minor cosmetic and convenience features that are unlikely to ever interest anyone searching for a modern, capable DAW.

Their reason for doing this? To promote their new web-based DAW by making a mockery of the very idea and paradigm of standalone, computer-based DAWs. Cakewalk was one of the first, and by parading around what is left of this once-proud program so that all may see how the new way of doing things has prevailed, they are demonstrating the victory of the new over the old.

"Oh, we kept Cakewalk alive" they can say, "but there was no interest! We couldn't even give it away for free!"

Well of course there wasn't when all you did was allow us to tart up its track colors as if it were some pathetic old painted lady of the night! And allow theming of the Piano Roll to resemble the darkness of the tomb itself!

Forget the new "features" that come in every month. Those are just a distraction from their true agenda. They bought Cakewalk and resurrected it so they could kill it again, deader than before.

This above post makes no sense to me...   Except maybe for Chord track like Cubase has, Sonar / Cakewalk has most features other DAWs are just recently catching up to.  (64 bit, unlimited inserts, off line bounce).   The issues with Cakewalk are more about bugs.   I don't think there is ANYTHING cakewalk is lacking to prevent it from being a great and extremely powerful vehicle for creating fully realized pro recordings.   A little more stability will help.   I have not been limited in anyway by cakewalk to create the best recording I am capable of making.  The above post seems to imply that without sparkling new features, no one else will want it.   Fact is, CBB is already overflowing and possible overstuffed (beyond its own good) with features and that is part of the issue.   Fix as many bugs as possible and CBB will be an (or maybe even THE) unstoppable and unrivaled DAW.   If Bandlab chooses to somehow integrate into a more collaborative on line platform without diluting its main purpose which is a powerful self contained standalone recording platform, that will only be a good thing because as bandwidth and connectivity become ever cheaper and faster, that will be (and already is) the wave of the future.   Seems to me, via bandlab, Cakewalk is well positioned to be the premier online pro recording tool and perhaps that is why it is being given away for free.   To establish a large base upon which to build the next generation of collaborative tools.

Sonar Platinum, RME UFX, UAD 2, Waves, Soundtoys, Fronteir Alphatrack, X-Touch as Contl Srfc,  , Console 1, Sweetwater Creation Station Quad Core Win 8.1, Mackie 824, KRK RP5, AKG 240 MKII, Samson C-Control, Sennheiser, Blue,  AKG, RODE,  UA, Grace, Focusrite, Audient, Midas, ART

Song Portfolio:
https://soundcloud.com/allen-lind/sets/oth-short
kevinwal
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1066
Re: Is there going to be anything new and exciting for Cakewalk??? 2018/06/30 21:13:50 (permalink)
Euthymia

BandLab bought the product and are paying their developers solely to tinker with the code until every bug is eliminated and to implement an endless series of minor cosmetic and convenience features that are unlikely to ever interest anyone searching for a modern, capable DAW. 

[snip]

Forget the new "features" that come in every month. Those are just a distraction from their true agenda. They bought Cakewalk and resurrected it so they could kill it again, deader than before.

So your theory is that BandLab spent who knows how much money to resurrect a deader-than-dead product for the express purpose of killing it even deader? Just to show that they won the technology war?

lol. You need to go work on a song or something. 

Kevin Walsh
My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
256GB SSD, 2TB HD
Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
MOTU 8Pre Interface
Euthymia
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
Re: Is there going to be anything new and exciting for Cakewalk??? 2018/06/30 21:24:10 (permalink)
msmcleod

Now BandLab has taken over, but with a much smaller development crew. These guys are having to:
  • Work on new Cakewalk features and bugs
  • Support all the issues people are having
  • Finish off the new forum....

The last item, at least, is something that I doubt that the Cakewalk devs have much to do with. BandLab was already a social media site with its own web developers before it acquired Cakewalk.

Actually, I don't even know what a Chord Track is, and my biggest issue is trying to get up to speed in this amazing feature-deep DAW, so aside from my own pet enhancement of having an FX menu item for Replace Effect like we do for Replace Synth, my fondest wish is for a new forum to go live.

I've found that one of the best ways to learn about a DAW is to skim a forum where a lot of new users are trying to figure out how to get basic tasks done and I think by fluke I somehow wound up as the lone "new user" on here because I happened to snag the CA-2A freebie back in 2016, so my CakeGib registration was still good. Although I did briefly run SONAR back in the early oughts.

Everyone who's on here now other than me is either a die-hard who stayed with the program after it got Gibsonized or the occasional embittered dark soul who dumped it and seems to have stuck around to troll those who held out.

Much as I have enjoyed the "you naive fools, they are up to something no good and I demand transparency before I will expose my AOL address book to their data mining" posts, I would love for you loyal die-hards to be able to share your vast knowledge of Cakewalk with a crop of enthusiastic new users.

I find that it's good for both parties. When I've done it in the past, it has inspired me as the veteran user to rediscover features of the program that I had neglected or forgotten about, and the new users' enthusiasm is infectious.

I'm incredibly psyched to have this amazing program to use, it's like Xmas morning every time I run the thing. Clicking on that little arrow to to pop out the ProChannel gives me a dopamine hit, I swear! Bang, switch on the Console, tweak the Compressor, maybe switch to the CA-2A, pop out the EQ, we're off to the freakin' races!

That's why when someone comes in with one of these "it's been 90 whole days, where are all of the new features they promised us?" posts I troll them a bit. BandLab are nothing but heroes in my book. So far (respect being something that is rightly earned and maintained).

C'mon people, the DAW once given up for dead is now freed from the financial constraint of having to have big new whiz-bang features to generate revenue every time there's a trade show. That is a GIFT. It allows the programmers to quash bugs, which, believe it or not, is something programmers love doing. Nobody likes having their mistakes out on display for all to see. It's like having a big vocal plosive in the middle of an otherwise great mix.

And they're still slipping in some cool usability features. Those "little things" that people use every day are things that show they care about the existing user base. The note length buttons in the Piano Roll? I'd say that it is brilliant, but it's not, really, it's something that should just have already been there, and the fact that it wasn't was unfortunate. That they took the time and effort to put it (back?) in is brilliant.

(disclosure: I am a decades-long veteran of the commercial software industry)

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Is there going to be anything new and exciting for Cakewalk??? 2018/06/30 21:33:11 (permalink)
Previous post deleted for no apparent reason yet again. New forum software can't come soon enough.
joakes
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 905
Re: Is there going to be anything new and exciting for Cakewalk??? 2018/06/30 22:11:09 (permalink)
Ahhh, here we go, supposition.

Bring on the popcorn ......

Jerry

Built by yours truely : I7-2600@3.4GHz, Asus P67Z68, W10x64 Creator Edition, 32GB RAM, 3 HD's, nVidia 760 GT, Focusrite 18i20 2,d Gen + Ti FW, Oxygen 61 iv Gen, and Edirol SD-20 (yes it works), CbB, Teles, Strats, LP's, Epi Riviera, etc
mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: Is there going to be anything new and exciting for Cakewalk??? 2018/06/30 22:34:10 (permalink)
Euthymia

I've found that one of the best ways to learn about a DAW is to skim a forum where a lot of new users are trying to figure out how to get basic tasks done

The best way to learn about a DAW is the approved Oldschool way: Study the manual, study tutorials, watch out for good videos. With the knowledge achieved you 'll be able to sort the wheat from the chaff . . . . 

BTW, I went with Studio One after the announcement last year. But now  I'm  really happy  to get back to work with Cakewalk. It's simply the best. And will become even better, I believe. And yes, Chordtrack is nice … but I simply don't need it. I learned piano (Oldschool) and reading and writing notation and harmonies . . . . Chordtrack is nice to have, but not the gamechanger some people want it to be. At least not to me.

I wouldt say: read your f*ing manual, develop your f*ing musical skills, learn  the craftmanship and enjoy this incredible Cakewalk Software and just make your f*ing music. F*ck!!!

Cheers :)

(BTW: I'm looking forward to updated Synths :) :) )

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
Euthymia
Re: Is there going to be anything new and exciting for Cakewalk??? 2018/06/30 23:12:13 (permalink)
kevinwal
So your theory is that BandLab spent who knows how much money to resurrect a deader-than-dead product for the express purpose of killing it even deader? Just to show that they won the technology war?

Kevin, you got the "lol" right, but it seems my irony slipped past you!

I was being deliberately silly because I find posts like the OP's so silly. "Is there going to be anything new and exciting?" As if the fact that the program is even back in development and the huge leaps they've already made in stability while managing to slip in some sweet usability features for the faithful users aren't "new and exciting" enough!

My educated guess: The "big" features will come eventually. For now they're just doing some long-deferred tidying.

And yes, you're right, I'm procrastinating recording this vocal. Every time I think of singing it I get "that feeling" in the pit of my stomach. I'm going to try the MD421 instead of the AT4035 this time just to see what happens.

-Erik
Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
Euthymia
Re: Is there going to be anything new and exciting for Cakewalk??? 2018/06/30 23:24:37 (permalink)
stxx

Euthymia

They bought Cakewalk and resurrected it so they could kill it again, deader than before.

This above post makes no sense to me... 

LOL, it wasn't supposed to make sense, I was being ironic.

My point was that of course there is going to be something new and exciting for Cakewalk (I think there already has). Why would they go to all this trouble just to let it languish for heaven's sake?

I think they're doing a great job with the code and can't wait to see what happens when they start adding more "major" features.

-Erik
kevinwal
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1066
Re: Is there going to be anything new and exciting for Cakewalk??? 2018/06/30 23:42:13 (permalink)
Euthymia
kevinwal

Kevin, you got the "lol" right, but it seems my irony slipped past you!

I was being deliberately silly because I find posts like the OP's so silly. "Is there going to be anything new and exciting?" As if the fact that the program is even back in development and the huge leaps they've already made in stability while managing to slip in some sweet usability features for the faithful users aren't "new and exciting" enough!

My educated guess: The "big" features will come eventually. For now they're just doing some long-deferred tidying.

And yes, you're right, I'm procrastinating recording this vocal. Every time I think of singing it I get "that feeling" in the pit of my stomach. I'm going to try the MD421 instead of the AT4035 this time just to see what happens.

Gotta admit, your irony did indeed slip right past me, my apologies.  Still would hurt to go work on a song though. :)

Kevin Walsh
My latest tunes are at Reverbnation, please give a listen!

EVGA X58 Classified III, 24GB Kingston RAM, i7/970 6 core
256GB SSD, 2TB HD
Windows 10 Build 10586, Sonar Platinum, 2016.03
MOTU 8Pre Interface
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Is there going to be anything new and exciting for Cakewalk??? 2018/07/01 16:52:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby marled 2018/07/02 14:08:47
dgh97
It would be nice to hear what Bandlab and Meng  have to say  about adding a Chord Track / Arrangement Track like Studio one 4 has or if it can even be add to cakewalk....hummmm

Putting together the SO4 Chord Track function, which can extract individual notes from an audio chord and rearrange them into a different chord altogether as well as do MIDI, was an incredibly complicated task and helped account for the long time between SO3 and SO4. Yet when the update came out (which also included major updates to Impact and Sample One), there were many forum responses along the lines of "oh, there's nothing in this update for me, $150 for an update is too much, why isn't there [pet feature] I've been asking for since version 1.0, blah blah blah." 

If I was a Cakewalk developer and I saw those kinds of comments, I'd think twice before committing to the effort necessary to include that kind of chord track - even though those requesting it here would probably not only be happy to see it, but would make good use of it.

But it just shows that even when a company DOES come out with a genuinely new feature that had a lot of user requests, people will still whine and moan.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: Is there going to be anything new and exciting for Cakewalk??? 2018/07/01 18:31:01 (permalink)
Does it not leverage Melodyne to achieve much of its functionality?

In all my years in both using and developing software, introducing
new features has always garnered both bouquets and brickbats.
'Twas ever thus. Don't let that stop innovation.

Anderton
Re: Is there going to be anything new and exciting for Cakewalk??? 2018/07/01 18:43:49 (permalink)
jpetersen
Does it not leverage Melodyne to achieve much of its functionality?

I don't know.

In all my years in both using and developing software, introducing
new features has always garnered both bouquets and brickbats.
'Twas ever thus. Don't let that stop innovation.

If a company innovates in ways that are cool but which people genuinely don't want or are not willing to pay for, it can cause real problems. Ask Gibson about robot tuning 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: Is there going to be anything new and exciting for Cakewalk??? 2018/07/01 18:45:30 (permalink)
Speaking of Chord Tracks in CbB...while obviously not the same as the Cubase or SO4 approach, you can use Pitch Markers to transpose MIDI groove clips and get at least partway there. 

mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: Is there going to be anything new and exciting for Cakewalk??? 2018/07/01 18:50:00 (permalink)
Anderton

If I was a Cakewalk developer and I saw those kinds of comments, I'd think twice before committing to the effort necessary to include that kind of chord track - even though those requesting it here would probably not only be happy to see it, but would make good use of it.

But it just shows that even when a company DOES come out with a genuinely new feature that had a lot of user requests, people will still whine and moan.

Even though the chord track is a stroke of genius, for me as a dumb user it's  a simple question of needs and personal preferences. But that should never stop anyone from accepting challenging tasks.  

cheers :) 
post edited by mkerl - 2018/07/01 22:14:11

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
MFanning
  • Total Posts : 205
Re: Is there going to be anything new and exciting for Cakewalk??? 2018/07/01 18:58:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby iRelevant 2018/07/02 11:19:51
Project 5 version 3, 64-bit!!
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Is there going to be anything new and exciting for Cakewalk??? 2018/07/01 19:06:35 (permalink)
MFanning
Project 5 version 3, 64-bit!!

I like the way you think!  But with chord track added, of course!

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
JDNelson
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: Is there going to be anything new and exciting for Cakewalk??? 2018/07/02 00:37:51 (permalink)
A Polarity Analyzer/Optimizer like the one in Mixbus would be nice.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1