Helpful ReplyEdirol UA-25 suddenly not working with SONAR Platinum in Win 10

Author
patrowles
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41
2018/08/31 23:16:12 (permalink)

Edirol UA-25 suddenly not working with SONAR Platinum in Win 10

Just back from a two-week vacation, prior to which everything was working fine (SONAR Platinum running on 64-bit Windows 10, with an Edirol UA-25 sound card). Now, every time I start SONAR I get the pop-up There are no audio devices for the current driver model on your system. Please go to Edit | Preferences | Playback and Recording and choose a different driver model. After acknowledging the message SONAR opens and loads a project successfully but there's no sound, and nothing is listed under Preferences > Audio > Devices, nor Preferences > MIDI > Devices, and there's no Playback (or Record) Timing Master under Driver Settings.

The Edirol's lights are on and all other audio is working properly. I used amitte's hugely helpful instructions in this thread back when I first upgraded to Windows 10 in 2015, but my recollection is that that was required because no audio programs worked with the Win 10/UA-25 combo, not just SONAR - am I remembering correctly?

Under Windows Control Panel > Device Manager, it says that the device is working properly and that the driver version is 10.1.17134.1 (dated 11/04/2018). If I try to update the driver and select the Update Automatically option, Windows says the best driver is already installed. I've tried revisiting amitte's thread, but it's been revised so much that it's getting a bit difficult to follow the method(s).

If I uninstall the driver and try to reinstall the one I kept when I first used that fix (i.e. with the edits to the .inf file changing all occurrences of 6.2 to 10), it seems to complete properly. By that, I mean I get the new-fangled looking Win 10 alert that says the device is ready to use, but the Setup.exe dialog stays open after I've had that and clicking Cancel to close Setup.exe says it will abort the installation, although it's the only option at that stage, and doing so leaves a UA-25 which functions in everything but SONAR.

Any ideas? Anyone else had a similar problem? It's a bit galling, given that I didn't touch anything, and I'm meant to be recording a cellist here in 36 hours! Any suggestions gratefully received.
malcolmd
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: Edirol UA-25 suddenly not working with SONAR Platinum in Win 10 2018/09/01 04:41:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jimfogle 2018/09/02 19:16:43
Are you loading the ASIO driver?  I'm not sure the ua-25 ever worked with the WDM drivers.  I mean, once in Sonar under Preferences, Audio, Playback and Recording, Driver Mode should be ASIO.  In addition, if you un-install the driver and disconnect the unit...and then connect to the internet and then connect the ua-25, my understanding is that the driver is then automatically downloaded in Windows 10.
patrowles
  • Total Posts : 41
Re: Edirol UA-25 suddenly not working with SONAR Platinum in Win 10 2018/09/01 09:04:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jimfogle 2018/09/02 19:16:35
Thanks for your reply, malcomd. I did have the  Driver Mode set to ASIO. I've now tried disconnecting the UA-25, uninstalling the driver, restarting the PC, and reconnecting the UA-25 to automatically install the driver. This seemed to work (i.e. Windows said the driver had been installed successfully), but I wasn't getting sound from anything and in Device Manager the UA-25 was listed under 'Software Devices', not 'Sound, video and game controllers'.

At this point, I tried right-click > Update Driver again, and the 'Search automatically' option told me there were no compatible drivers! I tried again, this time choosing the 'Browse my computer' option, and after selecting the drivers saved when using amitte's fix, I finally have SONAR working. Phew!
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1