Easiest/Cheapest Way to Replace synths and addictive drums lost with free version

Author
DanielVogel
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2018/09/03 17:54:28 (permalink)

Easiest/Cheapest Way to Replace synths and addictive drums lost with free version

I used to record from Cakewalk 1 all the way up to Sonar 2.  I am returning with the free Sonary by Bandlab which I noticed has no Addictive Drums 2 nor synths (except a few thrown in).  Would it be worth my spending $150 for the Addictive Drums 2 now being sold separately by a popular music chain?   With Addictive Drums 2 as a plug in, does it provide not just the sounds but also the drum "machine" sequencing capabilities?

I found it difficult finding my midi instruments that came with the free version of Sonar.  In fact, once I got one instrument, like Strings (there would be just one word, strings), the only way I found to change the sounds was to literally turn the instrument assignment wheel on my MidiKorg controller - isn't there a simpler way to scroll through the various instruments in Sonar while also seeing their names (or was the word Strings actually just a folder for hundreds of strings?).  Is it easy to add midi instruments to Sonar if I want more?  Are there any file extensions I should be aware of if I buy more instruments commercially?

Thanks for any help you can provide on adding drum sequencing and midi instruments to the free Sonar (if it needs more, I worry I may be misunderstanding how to find them or else there are few instruments with the free version).  I have no questions about recording audio, I just tested that, and it works like a dream.  My main concern is getting through the learning curve of pulling up midi instruments (including drums) and sequencing/editing them capably.

Thanks again.

Danny

13 Replies Related Threads

Keni
    Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5769
    Re: Easiest/Cheapest Way to Replace synths and addictive drums lost with free version 2018/09/03 17:59:08 (permalink)
    If you still have Sonar installed, CbB should have picked them up.

Check your vst scan paths and make sure the correct/needed are there...

Then re-scan

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records
    http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
    http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
    Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Easiest/Cheapest Way to Replace synths and addictive drums lost with free version 2018/09/03 18:16:08 (permalink)
    Keni, the user is coming from SONAR 2. Not sure anything bundled with it will work in CbB. CbB does come with SI-Drums. All the Studio Instruments UIs are similar. Programs are loaded from the Prg button on the left hand side just below Cakewalk logo. A program contains the sample and UI settings loaded by the plug-in. FYI, clicking on the Cakewalk logo, then clicking F1 over the About screen will bring up the help screen.

There are a variety of drum plug-in on the market. Here is a recent thread about the subject.

Whatever you do, unless you have money to burn wait for a sale. We will be entering the beginning/end of year sales cycle soon.
    Keni
    Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5769
    Re: Easiest/Cheapest Way to Replace synths and addictive drums lost with free version 2018/09/03 18:25:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for pitching in scook...

It sounded as though he already has (had) AD2 and such...

I guess I misunderstood...

Keni Fink
    Keni - Facebook
    Deep Space Records
    http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
    http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
    Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
    Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: Easiest/Cheapest Way to Replace synths and addictive drums lost with free version 2018/09/03 18:28:38 (permalink)
    AD2 Custom Pack with 3 kits of your choice, will be in the sales again soon for $75. It will come with 3 midi packs of drum grooves, and 3 kit peices. The midi packs play from it sequencer, but you can also use the Piano Roll and the Step Sequencer in Sonar/Cakewalk.

XLN will only sell you one custom pack, but 3rd parties will sell as many as you want and XLN honours that. So the $150 could get you 6 kits if you wait for the sale. They just had one, but Black friday they have another. I'm not sure if between.

abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Easiest/Cheapest Way to Replace synths and addictive drums lost with free version 2018/09/03 20:15:10 (permalink)
    The free MT Power Drum Kit would be a good stand-in drum VST until you can figure out what to budget for buying, or waiting for a sale.

https://www.powerdrumkit.com/

The MT Power Drum Kit is a free drum sampler offering the powerful, high-quality sounds of an acoustic, realistic drum kit. Samples have been specially recorded and processed to make them ideally suited for use in pop, rock and metal productions.
    You can choose from thousands of assorted rhythms in the comprehensive Groove Library and compose your own drum accompaniment. In particular, the innovative functions for creating fills generate very smooth and realistic drum tracks

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Easiest/Cheapest Way to Replace synths and addictive drums lost with free version 2018/09/03 20:20:02 (permalink)
    The free Native Instruments Kontakt 5 Player come with a factory library with 50 free instruments.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/samplers/kontakt-5-player/

KONTAKT PLAYER is a free application that hosts all of Native Instruments’ sample-based instruments, as well as third-party products made for the platform. Instruments made for KONTAKT PLAYER will also run in the full version of KONTAKT.

That should get you started ...

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    DanielVogel
    Re: Easiest/Cheapest Way to Replace synths and addictive drums lost with free version 2018/09/04 00:56:14 (permalink)
    Thanks for your suggestions.  I did load the 50 instrument definitions from Kontakt 5 into I assumed the Sonar midi folder.  Haven't found them yet in Sonar but I'll keep looking.  Hey, thanks so much for the recommendation on MT Power Drums abacab.  I was able to pull it up in Sonar and started creating drum patterns, but didn't understand how to import them onto a Sonar track.  I would guess it's a question of how I assigned output and input of the track.  Can you advise me?  I tried many combos but no luck so far.
    DanielVogel
    Re: Easiest/Cheapest Way to Replace synths and addictive drums lost with free version 2018/09/04 00:59:30 (permalink)
    Forget my question abacab.  I can't believe I figured out (by trial and error, what else!).  I put the MT Power Drums as the In and the sound card as the Out and hey presto it played the sequenced drum track, recording it as an audio track.  Very cool!   I think that will keep me busy for a while.
    Euthymia
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 223
    Re: Easiest/Cheapest Way to Replace synths and addictive drums lost with free version 2018/09/04 14:14:08 (permalink)
    My budget for recording software is only slightly higher than the price of Cakewalk, so I'm qualified to answer here.

CbB actually comes with a very capable drum kit; I don't know why nobody has mentioned it. SI-Drum Kit has several good-sounding drum kits and many patterns.

And speaking of patterns, CbB also comes with a ton of MIDI groove clips, which may be accessed via the Browser pane on the right. They work well with SI-Drum Kit.

To fill out your synth collection, go to www.pluginboutique.com and register for an account (be sure to sign up for their newsletter, this will entitle you to a free license for iZotope Ozone Elements 8), then get AIR's Hybrid 3 or Vacuum Pro, or both, which are on sale for $1 each.

Be sure to also download the free expansion packs that they have for whatever synth(s) you buy. If you're feeling rich, buy some of the $1 expansion packs.

They are both top-notch, amazing synths. If you only want one, probably just go with Hybrid 3, but why not get both, it's only a buck. They will keep you busy for a long time. EDM-oriented, but versatile enough to do other things.

KVR Audio is a good site for finding free plug-ins. I check it almost daily.

This forum has a Deals subforum that is worth checking, too.

-Erik
    Warning: if you tell me my issue can be remedied by buying more RAM, an SSD, or a Waves plug-in, I will troll you pitiilessly
    DanielVogel
    Re: Easiest/Cheapest Way to Replace synths and addictive drums lost with free version 2018/09/04 21:07:47 (permalink)
    Thanks Erick. Typing from work but as soon as I get home I'm buying out the cheap options you referenced!

I will have to watch a YouTube video because while I figured out how to create drum tracks with MT Power Drums just finding synth instruments was difficult.  Going on memory here but I had to add a synth rack from bottom right window and there were only a few synth instruments available, like Strings or Piano.  Isn't there a way in the new free Sonar to pull down a massive menu with all synth instruments that come with this free version? 
    Wibbles
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 404
    Re: Easiest/Cheapest Way to Replace synths and addictive drums lost with free version 2018/09/05 07:16:06 (permalink)
    I'm suffering with disappearing post syndrome.

Wibbles
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 404
    Re: Easiest/Cheapest Way to Replace synths and addictive drums lost with free version 2018/09/05 07:19:47 (permalink)
    DanielVogel
    Isn't there a way in the new free Sonar to pull down a massive menu with all synth instruments that come with this free version? 

Use the Browser (type B to open).
    Select the Plugins tab.
    Select Insert Virtual Instrument (the little piano keyboard symbol).

Oh ... and the new free Sonar is called Cakewalk by BandLab. Use of the word Sonar brings back all the grieving.
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Easiest/Cheapest Way to Replace synths and addictive drums lost with free version 2018/09/05 19:36:33 (permalink)
    It almost sound like the OP has opened a template or something and the synth rack was populated with a few VST's.

Check out my tutorial and it will show you how to load the instruments, and I only cover using instruments that came with Home Studio which is more or less what CbB has too.

For bass my fav is Ample http://www.amplesound.net/en/pro-pd.asp?id=19  free.

You can squeeze some OK drums out of SI drums but it takes a bit of trial and error. Try playing with the tuning.

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1