Help please. FaderPort not working after switching from CW to CbB (SOLVED: Bad USB port)

Author
Billy86
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 362
2018/10/25 23:25:30 (permalink)

Help please. FaderPort not working after switching from CW to CbB (SOLVED: Bad USB port)

Hi... hope someone can help with this. 

I have generation 1 FaderPort, single channel. It was working in Sonar Pro. Switched to CbB and problems...

I've tried a bunch of things... uninstall/reinstall driver. Update to newest driver. Re-read the FaderPort manual, followed the procedure.

Read through this earlier post http://forum.cakewalk.com/How-to-set-up-a-Presonus-Faderport-as-Control-Surface-in-CbB-m3752096.aspx

Tried to do all this: https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013368/Setup-the-PreSonus-FaderPort-as-a-SONAR-Control-Surface and ran into an issue right away with step one:

<<At the end of the installation you will be prompted to install a firmware update. If your FaderPort's firmware is up-to-date, close the firmware update.>> I wasn't asked anything about a firmware update. Don't know if this ONLY applies to the new, GEN 2 FaderPort (Single Channel).

My FaderPort is not showing up in Preferences/MIDI/Devices. It IS in Preferences/MIDI/Control Surfaces. The only options there for "In Port" and "Out Port" are AUTOMAP Midi (I have a Novation keyboard that uses that) and my interface, Scarlett 2i4 USB. Of course, those devices are in my MIDI Devices. The FaderPort is not. 

I'm at a loss what to try next. Any suggestions appreciated!

post edited by Billy86 - 2018/10/30 16:23:52

Windows 10 x64 on a Dell/Intel i5, 500 Gig SSD, 32 gig RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Sonar Professional, Melodyne 4 Assistant, Kurzweil SP-76 stage piano, Baldwin RP 100 digital upright, Novation Impulse 25, Breedlove Pursuit Concert Acous/Elec, Fender American Standard Tele, Fender G-DEC 30 modeling amp, Sigma DM-5 Acoustic, Ovation MCS148 Celebrity Acous/Elec. Mandolin, Roland V-Drums TD-11KV, AKG P220, Yamaha MG82CX mixer, KRK Rokit 6 Powered Monitors, PreSonus FaderPort

9 Replies Related Threads

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Help please. FaderPort not working after switching from CW to CbB 2018/10/26 07:19:28 (permalink)
    Open Windows "Device Manager".  Enable "View/Show hidden devices". In the "Audio, Video ..." section you should see the Faderport. It should be only one and not grayed, without question mark. If you see many Faderports, and/or grayed or with quesiton, right click on all of them and select "Uninstall device". Physically reconnect it to trigger re-installation.

In Windows Explorer, type "%APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core" and remove TTSSEQ.INI there.

Check that Faderport is in MIDI devices lists in CbB and enable it.

PS. Faderport Control Surface is just a Sonar extension, it works throw MIDI ports operated by Sonar/CbB. CbB should see required MIDI ports for that to work.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    Billy86
    Re: Help please. FaderPort not working after switching from CW to CbB 2018/10/26 11:54:59 (permalink)
    I’ll give this a try. Thank you!

Windows 10 x64 on a Dell/Intel i5, 500 Gig SSD, 32 gig RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Sonar Professional, Melodyne 4 Assistant, Kurzweil SP-76 stage piano, Baldwin RP 100 digital upright, Novation Impulse 25, Breedlove Pursuit Concert Acous/Elec, Fender American Standard Tele, Fender G-DEC 30 modeling amp, Sigma DM-5 Acoustic, Ovation MCS148 Celebrity Acous/Elec. Mandolin, Roland V-Drums TD-11KV, AKG P220, Yamaha MG82CX mixer, KRK Rokit 6 Powered Monitors, PreSonus FaderPort
    Billy86
    Re: Help please. FaderPort not working after switching from CW to CbB 2018/10/26 23:20:36 (permalink)
    azslow3
    Open Windows "Device Manager".  Enable "View/Show hidden devices". In the "Audio, Video ..." section you should see the Faderport. It should be only one and not grayed, without question mark. If you see many Faderports, and/or grayed or with quesiton, right click on all of them and select "Uninstall device". Physically reconnect it to trigger re-installation.

In Windows Explorer, type "%APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core" and remove TTSSEQ.INI there.

Check that Faderport is in MIDI devices lists in CbB and enable it.

PS. Faderport Control Surface is just a Sonar extension, it works throw MIDI ports operated by Sonar/CbB. CbB should see required MIDI ports for that to work.

I was able to do all this, located a number of grayed-out Faderports listed in device manger, removed them; unplugged the faderport, then plugged it back in, then deleted the TTSSEQ.INI file from that directory.

I then reinstalled the driver and was directed to reboot for change to take effect. So I did. ALSO during the reboot Windows installed "2018-09 Update for Windows 10 Version 1803." And now, I can launch CbB, but a soon as I try and open a project, it immediately crashes. Tried several different projects. They all immediate crashed and wouldn't open. So, now I can't even open a project to do anything. 

I think I've read others having problems after this update. I'll scour the board for what to do about THAT, and then come back to this. Frustrating week on the CbB front. Thanks for your help. 

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Help please. FaderPort not working after switching from CW to CbB 2018/10/27 21:25:46 (permalink)
    Win 10 V1809 was pulled shortly after release, because of one drive data loss (if you don't use one drive there is no data loss).  It must have been there for several weeks waiting for a reboot. 

I have V1809 (and advanced Win 10 Pro BETA versions) and both Sonar Platinum and CbB run without problems for me.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    royarn
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 427
    Re: Help please. FaderPort not working after switching from CW to CbB 2018/10/29 15:22:01 (permalink)
    Something I've been caught out with on more than one occasion concerning the faderport and Sonar is you have to have key aftertouch selected in Preferences midi, Playback and Recording. if not then the faderport wont work.
    Roy

INTEL HASWELL Core i5 4670K Z87-K MB, 16 gig DDR3 ram, 250 gig ssd 1 x 250 gig 1 x 1TB sata 2 drives,Faderport 1, Motif ES 6, Focusrite 8i6. Windows 10 64 bit. Sonar Platinum Lifetime Updates.CbB .
    iRelevant
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re: Help please. FaderPort not working after switching from CW to CbB 2018/10/30 02:08:45 (permalink)
    royarn
    Something I've been caught out with on more than one occasion concerning the faderport and Sonar is you have to have key aftertouch selected in Preferences midi, Playback and Recording. if not then the faderport wont work.
    Roy

Thanks a million man. That solved my problems for me. I had this weird problem where it would not work in Splat x64 or CbB, but work perfectly in Home Studio x86 and Sonar VS x86. My W7 system is pretty much messed up at the moment and heading for a reinstall, so I thought it was connected to that somehow. Some x86 vs x64 thing. 
    Now everything works fine again, and I'm a very happy man :) 
    - Sven

OS:Win7x64 SP1 CPU:i5/8GB/SSD DAWs : CbB, FLS, SO2, (Reaper) etc. To much Gear, not enough wires. 
    My Music : BandLab  https://www.bandlab.com/irelevant BandCamp : https://irelevant.bandcamp.com
    Billy86
    Re: Help please. FaderPort not working after switching from CW to CbB 2018/10/30 03:27:07 (permalink)
    fireberd
    Win 10 V1809 was pulled shortly after release, because of one drive data loss (if you don't use one drive there is no data loss).  It must have been there for several weeks waiting for a reboot. 

I have V1809 (and advanced Win 10 Pro BETA versions) and both Sonar Platinum and CbB run without problems for me.

Thanks for weighing in. 

My issue is, after trying everything I could think of, Faderport isn't even showing up in my Windows Device Manager, nor my MIDI Devices in CbB. It's as if it's not even connected. Just to troubleshoot, and make sure, first and foremost, is that the Faderport unit is actually functioning -- there's no power indicator the let you know it's even "on" -- I have another computer with my old Sonar Professional on it. I'm going to install it on THAT one and see if it works. Then, I'll at least know the actual piece of Faderport hardware is working.  

iRelevant
    • Total Posts : 430
    Re: Help please. FaderPort not working after switching from CW to CbB 2018/10/30 05:24:09 (permalink)
    @Billy86 : I'm having a different setup, W7. Just to let you know, when I plug in my Faderport (v1) the [Write] button get lit. This is before using it with any DAW. When I start up CbB, the [Write] lamp turns off and [Read] and [Loop] becomes lit. When I close CbB. All lights are turned off. 

OS:Win7x64 SP1 CPU:i5/8GB/SSD DAWs : CbB, FLS, SO2, (Reaper) etc. To much Gear, not enough wires. 
    My Music : BandLab  https://www.bandlab.com/irelevant BandCamp : https://irelevant.bandcamp.com
    Billy86
    Re: Help please. FaderPort not working after switching from CW to CbB 2018/10/30 16:21:15 (permalink)
    iRelevant
    @Billy86 : I'm having a different setup, W7. Just to let you know, when I plug in my Faderport (v1) the [Write] button get lit. This is before using it with any DAW. When I start up CbB, the [Write] lamp turns off and [Read] and [Loop] becomes lit. When I close CbB. All lights are turned off. 

Hey there. Thank you for relaying your experience. Yes, I unplugged from my current DAW and plugged into another DAW and experienced what you did. That told me the unit was working (so the unit, USB cable and/or electrical cable didn't somehow go bad on me). I then plugged back into my "problem" DAW and... nothing. Like it wasn't connecting.

Tried another USB port and EUREKA! It's working! Clearly, a bad USB port on my Dell was the problem. Stuff drives you crazy! 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1