System Performance (um, NOT performance)

Author
Timothy Brickley
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2018/11/28 18:51:30 (permalink)

System Performance (um, NOT performance)

Hi folks, trying to enter the 21st Century of Cakewalk here - wondering if I could run an issue by you all for some advice. Man, I have a new system I got last Christmas - preconfigured by Sweetwater Sound - and damn, I can't get it to run stable, had better results on my old Sonar 7/Windows XP rig that I only gave up because my old MOTU 24 interface finally gave out. I run 24 physical channels of 96/24 audio back into my console to mix.....the new system is

- Cakewalk by Bandlab (after buying a full-boat SONAR last December, ouch ;-)
 - Intel i5-7600 CPU @ 3.50 gHZ
- Windows 10 Home
- 16GB RAM
- MOTU 24 Ai/Ao interface

The track I am trying to work on is typical for me - and I used to be able to do this on the old system no problem - 56 tracks (49 audio, with 27 of those Archived, 2 soft synths with 7 MIDI tracks), moderate amount of plug-ins.

All of my performance specs seems pretty good - never get over 50% on disk, or over 25% of processor. 
Playback is sometimes good, sometimes glitchy. Recording is a nightmare - incredible latency issues whatever I do, and clicks and pops on tracks.

Wondering about expected system performance given the specs above, if I just have too great of expectations? Not enough processor/RAM? Any under-the-hood tricks?? I am trying to research on my own but struggling, studio work at a standstill, any help greatly appreciated - thanks, all, hope all is well - 

Tim Brickley

6 Replies Related Threads

kzmaier
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 461
    Re: System Performance (um, NOT performance) 2018/11/28 19:05:50 (permalink)
    1 - Disable wireless interface/s.
    2 - Disconnect network interfaces when tracking since Windows 10 updates are out of control.  Downloading an update during a session can never help.
    3 - I do my tracking before turning on effects.
    4 - Run latency checker DLC, I think.  Maybe you can identify the source that way.

During mixing phase you can increase buffers to ease system performance needs.

Best Regards,
    Ken
    Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

promidi
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1220
    Re: System Performance (um, NOT performance) 2018/11/28 20:39:31 (permalink)
    It's a long read, but here is a document that may help. 

The only thing I would not do from this document is set “Processor scheduling” to "Background services” (outlined on page 35). Leave it set to “Programs”.   I have seen posts on these forums that indicate that Sonar (and now Cakewalk by Bandlab) does not benefit from this setting. 

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
    PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
    CPU: i5 4670. 
    Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
    Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
    : Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
    ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
    Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: System Performance (um, NOT performance) 2018/11/28 21:00:18 (permalink)
    PC Optimization Guide for Windows 10
    https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/pc-optimization-guide-for-windows-10/

If you have already done all that, then try increasing your ASIO buffer size, turn off plugins, freeze synths, etc.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: System Performance (um, NOT performance) 2018/11/28 22:53:28 (permalink)
    Before tracking try hitting global FX bypass (E) since you are fairly deep into that project, you could easily have a plugin with a look ahead buffer running.

LatencyMon is a utility to check processes in your system. Some will stand out but others you may need insight on. Best to run this when the DAW is running (it will affect latency, so just do this to capture data). The tabs in LatencyMon are good to check processes, and you can also click on the column headers to better sort the offenders.

Most things have been covered above already, but it is rare to get everything in one pass. Be sure to check back here as you go... We have all lived through this experience.

[Edit] Added link to LatencyMon and more description of it. I also realized that core parking (power management advanced settings) might be an issue, as well as things like USB port idling (also in Power Management). Nvidia audio drivers (if enabled) should also be disabled in the Device Manager. Auto Network Discovery is another common issue that comes to mind. Here is a link to an old post that catches some of the above.

At some point, I really need to consolidate these into a single page.
    post edited by mettelus - 2018/11/29 14:35:27

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: System Performance (um, NOT performance) 2018/11/28 23:38:06 (permalink)
    mettelus
    Before tracking try hitting global FX bypass (E) since you are fairly deep into that project, you could easily have a plugin with a look ahead buffer running.

Great point here.  The Cakewalk LP MB and LP EQ plugins are good examples of this.  Their linear phase modes require a look ahead buffer, so that slows everything down in real time.  You can switch these to non-linear precision by opening the "Expert" controls in the plugin.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    greg_moreira
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    Re: System Performance (um, NOT performance) 2018/11/29 03:56:41 (permalink)
    You mention issues with tracking. Is this always an issue or just when you get deep into a project and already have tons of tracks and possibly plugins? If the project is already stacked with stuff...do an fix bypass as mentioned or freeze tracks with any cpu intensive plugins

Your pc is very very similar to mine and your specs are slightly better actually, yet I have no issues. I can throw 10 mics on a kit and record all 10 at 88.2 or higher with no issues.

I’m wondering if the interface needs a driver update or some buffer tweaking etc.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1