Don't Ever - Chaz Mix

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
danhazer
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2053
RE: Don't Ever - Chaz Mix 2005/08/03 16:37:08 (permalink)
Sincerely,

CHAZ

Dan Monaghan
chaz
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2775
RE: Don't Ever - Chaz Mix 2005/08/03 19:08:58 (permalink)
This is encouraging. I tend to do this, even though I assumed that it's wrong. What I end up with is louder tracks that don't sound too compressed, and I am always a bit paranoid that I just can't hear that the songs sound like crap. It's encouraging to hear that not everyone thinks this is bad technique.

Well Pat, I guess my approach is not for everyone, but it does work for me.

Actually..... When I think about it now...... I really do not think about the mastering part. I just mix the tracks the best I can, but keep everything in check throughout the process. It just comes as second nature to me now.

Does that make sense?
patrickhamm
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1177
RE: Don't Ever - Chaz Mix 2005/08/03 20:28:05 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: chaz

This is encouraging. I tend to do this, even though I assumed that it's wrong. What I end up with is louder tracks that don't sound too compressed, and I am always a bit paranoid that I just can't hear that the songs sound like crap. It's encouraging to hear that not everyone thinks this is bad technique.

Well Pat, I guess my approach is not for everyone, but it does work for me.

Actually..... When I think about it now...... I really do not think about the mastering part. I just mix the tracks the best I can, but keep everything in check throughout the process. It just comes as second nature to me now.

Does that make sense?

yes, that totally makes sense, and that's what I try to do as well, although I am sure I have a looooong way to go until it's AS second nature as it is for you...
joe b
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 500
RE: Don't Ever - Chaz Mix 2005/08/04 06:40:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rossipsu1
The acoustic lead sounded DI'd, which I didn't dig too much. Actually, the acoustics in general had some of that piezo tin to them.

I'm getting in late on this, just listened to it. I liked everything except that the guitars had that unpleasant piezo / DI box "boing" and general lack of shimmer, as noted in rossipsu1's post. Assuming one were to view that as a problem to be corrected, is there any cure except to re-record the guitars?
SoftShell
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Don't Ever - Chaz Mix 2005/08/04 10:13:33 (permalink)
Both mixes sound just as good to me, just...different. The chaz one is smoother sounding, but I don't know if I like that as much. I can pick out the individual instruments and parts easier on the original mix (which is something I like a lot as a musician) but the song sounds more unified on the Chaz mix. Sounds to my ears like Chaz may have done a little mastering work on the mix as a whole.

Wow! Pretty much exactly what I was gonna say. Chaz mix does sound smoother & also maybe a little better balanced. But Stu, your mix is possibly a tad more exiting.

This toon's been around for a while hasn't it? But that's all good 'cause it's one heckuva toon. Prolly your best yet, or IOW it seriously kicks A$$. So it's worth the time & trouble to get it right.

Stu. Much, much better intonation. Congrats! Knew you could do it. Did think, for a fleeting moment here or there, that I heard some sort of Autotune artifact (cheater, cheater :} ). But then again not totally sure. Maybe just the old ears playing tricks. Whatever, it's in tune. Once more, Congrats!

Also agree w/ comments on the Acoustic. Who played that rhythm part? Great playnig, love the restraint fighting with total abandon, just needs to sound better. Maybe try to retrack with a good mic/ pre or two. Then pan the original DI and new miced tracks opposite & remix (I know, PITA). The lead Acoustic parts just sound flat, timbre wise, to me. Nicely played though. Again, miced Acoustics (done right) are gonna work better IMHO than any pickup I've ever heard.

There's a couple spots in Chaz's mix where the two guitars raise the hair on the back of my neck. Second note, tonic of dominate in the lead, 00:05, and again at 2:27, which is basically the same spot in the riff. Think the Lead B string is a hair sharp but might be a conflicting harmonic thing. Pilfa, I did get the general sense that your B on Lead Acoustic was a tad out. Know I commented on this previously, and am sure you worked on it. Maybe it's just a bum string. Or maybe your neck & bridge need a little tweaking. I have this Yam 12 which has a great tone but just gives me fits. Have to adjust the neck every time I play it or the G & B, all four, wig out in different directions just a couiple frets up. Wotta pain! But them's th' breaks. Listening now to the original mix (Stu's?) and your Acoustic leads work much better. They're different takes, more in tune but not synched to the rhythm as well as in Chaz's mix. Easily fixed. Whatever, I'd use the Lead tracks from Stu's mix. A little slip editing and gain envelopes to bring 'em out more, drop 'em in Chaz's mix and you may have the best of both.

Tim I really like the solo. Actually liked Stu's version better, has more balls. Not quite as bright as Chaz's. Maybe just a personal preference but I'd like to hear this scream, more sustain, even to the point of a hint of feedback on the longer notes. But then I'm a FB freek so go figger. Dunno if maybe one o' those amp simulators might be able to get there after the fact. Any which way, great solo but I think the tone could use a bit of work. Not much, just more impact. (How's that fer bein' specific? :))

Great job guys. Much improved from the last time. A couple minor things here & there. See if you can blend the energy of Stu's mix with the fantastic clarity of Chaz's and watchout!

________SW

Interests: ummm... music?

pilfa
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 410
RE: Don't Ever - Chaz Mix 2005/08/04 11:00:20 (permalink)
Hi softshell - thanks for the feedback..... Just for the record the solo has been redone and it sounds sweet now... will hopefully upload a new version shortly
SoftShell
RE: Don't Ever - Chaz Mix 2005/08/04 11:58:44 (permalink)
Hi softshell - thanks for the feedback..... Just for the record the solo has been redone and it sounds sweet now... will hopefully upload a new version shortly

Kewl!! And you're very welcome. Keep rockin'.

_________SW

stuartsmithmusic
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 970
RE: Don't Ever - Chaz Mix 2005/08/06 21:53:52 (permalink)
hey steve!

thanks for the listen man.

and guess what no autotune!!
i hate the thing. it really sucks out the energy and passion or a performance i think.

and theres nothing a little delay, verb and compression wont fix!

when are you gunna hear new stuff from you ?
SoftShell
RE: Don't Ever - Chaz Mix 2005/08/13 11:03:41 (permalink)
when are you gunna hear new stuff from you ?

When am I gunna hear new stuff from me? Well, every day, of course :) But I know what ya mean. There are a couple toons I'm kicking around in the (ahem) "Mastering Lab" (choke, cough) and may put up eventually (release date pending). I dunno, is my SClick page still up there, hehe?

____SW

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1