Why do you need near-field monitors ?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Richard Brian
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3519
RE: Why do you need near-field monitors ? 2005/08/12 19:29:09 (permalink)
Why do you need near-field monitors ?

I don't, but thanks!
Viz
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: Why do you need near-field monitors ? 2005/08/12 21:24:52 (permalink)
As some guy above pointed out, the Bass Response even changed on my BX5s when i went a bit further back. I was astonished because i was always complaining on Bass response to M-Audio guys in vain and thought it had to do with the Room Acoustics and stuff completely where it was only partially. This topic has been really helpful to me. Im grateful.
kylen
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 578
RE: Why do you need near-field monitors ? 2005/08/13 00:02:47 (permalink)
You might have moved back into a room mode peak Viz?

nprime - you mix using a map of North America?

I'm learning 'whisper mixing' at about 60db SPLC or so...very interesting and the balance is there, I think I'll be able to get something out of that. I'm in a really tight nearfield - 3' triangle on Event ASP8s (8" woofer).

The headphones...hmmm tricky - I can hear very low on DT770, even below Senn HD600 and my monitors. That doesn't mean the presentation in the phones is such that I can balance it in there - just that I can hear the detail of the subbass there. I guess if I was smart I could make a curve on my outboard EQ to balance the phones. One thing I can not get right in phones to save my butt is the dynamics of the low & high mids. In other words in the phones I can hear it and it sounds good - but I can't tell if it's wrong...maybe that doesn't make sense.

But for nearfields I have some acoustic treatments like fiberglass traps & auralex in the room to give me a good sound & balance on my references that I like. I drive my ASP8s using optical and a DEQ2496 (can I say the 'B' word here?) fed into a DAC-1. Headphones are fed from the DAC-1 also. The levels - did I mention I'm in an apartment, hehe - are 72db SPLC max, like I said earlier - in the 60's for whisper levels. I'm hearing balances better than when I did 85-90db SPL it seems. But I've not experiences pro mid fields or whatever else is out there. I do think that listening to nearfields - no matter what kind - at 85-90 dbSPL is stupid and sheer torture for me! I used to have a 4-6 foot triangle set up using nearfields (same ASP8s) and I just don't like it personally.

2cents on nearfields
post edited by kylen - 2005/08/13 00:09:12
Viz
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: Why do you need near-field monitors ? 2005/08/13 02:13:58 (permalink)
I didnt quite understand what you said Kylen, but if its about me changing my sitting position, i didnt change it. Room is small enough to stayput. :(
Also, i jus learnt my BX5s are Near-fields and at present im sitting jus a half feet away. They are on either side of my computer monitor. I wanna know what the ideal distance for a near-field to get the optimum bass response with no change in the higher frequency output is. Btw, In the settings of the monitors, i have Acoustic space and HighFrequency output set to 0 db. The Low Cutoff is set to 56hz.

Thanks.
micv
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 285
RE: Why do you need near-field monitors ? 2005/08/15 11:54:24 (permalink)
This has been a real interesting topics and thanks everyone for your perspective. My take away is (you guys propably have known this all along) mixing is only partial science and mostly art. There are some "golden guidelines" and what ever method/system you use is fine as long as the end product is music to your ears, and hopefully most of the listeners agree with you.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1